Sons of Mortarion - Pre Heresy Death Guard

Ooh, I like your choice of next update.. the GW's are definitely great models, and I have been considering buying another batch and magnetising them for some standard Cata load outs.

Did you have any spacing issues with fixing the arms to the torsos?  Might just be my eyesight going bad on mine :)

so that i'm following you as close as can be...

i'm guessing you undercoat grey and apply a zenithal highlight. Then block in colours, highlight, sponge chip, and then apply washes last?

so that i'm following you as close as can be...

i'm guessing you undercoat grey and apply a zenithal highlight. Then block in colours, highlight, sponge chip, and then apply washes last?

The first part is right , but I do it with spray cans rather than an airbrush. Basic armour colours then get blocked in and transfers are added before the chipping goes on, then the rest of the detail I don't want chipped get basecoated. Then the washes go on before a layer of matt varnish and the highlights, then it's bases before a last layer of varnish.

Now those are some of the best Death Guard models I have seen. Superbly assembled and painted. Great job, you get a Like for this. 

On a side note, could you explain how you made the wire frame to place your models on. Thanks

Now those are some of the best Death Guard models I have seen. Superbly assembled and painted. Great job, you get a Like for this. 

On a side note, could you explain how you made the wire frame to place your models on. Thanks

Cheers. The 'frame' is as simple as 2 bits of brass rod pinned into the feet, then pushed into a cork for easier handling while I paint them. When they are done I clip all but 3-4mm of the brass rod away to pin them to the base.

Looking good dude, ive yet to start painting mine. Im unsure about the usefulness of the chem flamer game wise though due to every member already having a template weapon.. ive just gone with 10 launchers myself.

It's amazing what the next stage does for them!

Looking forward to the end result.  Any reason you chose not to use the combi-weapon option?  Curious as I wanted to equip mine with the melta.

Cheers. As for the lack of combi weapon, more to add another template to the squad. 12"-18" seems to be the optimum range for them so didn't want the combi to be overly situational. Plus it gives me an arm to use on a Praetor ;)

Looking good dude, ive yet to start painting mine. Im unsure about the usefulness of the chem flamer game wise though due to every member already having a template weapon.. ive just gone with 10 launchers myself.

Thanks  :) Went with the flamer as i've been suckered into playing the army with as much use out of the chem rules as possible - theres a reason why i've got a 10 man flamer support squad in the queue.......

fair enough thats an understandable reason chem stuff is cool! i reassigned my flamer unit to tacticals, replacing them with a 10 man Heavy Chem flamer squad soon (because of The Reaping) dg upgrade torsos, extra breathing gear etc as a fun project.. also im addicted to rad grenades now tongue.png

WOW...just WOW...impressive deathguard Midian..

Do use oils for shading and weathering effects?

Oh and stunning work!

Thanks. Yep, I use an oil wash for the shading and weathering - I wash the entire figure and give it an hour or so to dry before streaking the wash downward with a cotton bud. This pulls the wash off the top surfaces leaving it a streaked, dirty white but leaving the recesses shaded.

Im this close to getting them finished now, just a bit of highlighting on the cloth and bases left to do. Pictures incoming.....

Class as always mate! For your weathering, do you just use a sponge? Be interested to know how you did it - as it's come out better than some of my attempts haha.

Yup, just Charadon Granite and a bit of torn sponge. I'll go over any stupid/extra large looking bits with white but generally it gets left once its done.

Loving how the Grave Wardens are coming along. Can't wait to see them all finished! Any chance we'll get to see some Deathshrouds and Typhon in the future?

-Tarvik

Oh yes, i've got them in a box about 4 feet from my head, they'll be getting looked at soon.

Class as always mate! For your weathering, do you just use a sponge? Be interested to know how you did it - as it's come out better than some of my attempts haha.

Yup, just Charadon Granite and a bit of torn sponge. I'll go over any stupid/extra large looking bits with white but generally it gets left once its done.

Ah superb! If only they still did that... need to find an equivalent!

Ah superb! If only they still did that... need to find an equivalent!

Closest i've found in the current GW paint range is Skavenblight Dirge but it isn't brown enough. Fortunately I stockpiled it when the news leaked about the paint swap. ;)

Spent a few hours today doing the last bits on the Grave Wardens and getting them varnished. I was going to move onto the rest of the Breacher unit next but i've got some more Cataphractii on the way so they might well bully their way up the list.

These are truly awesome! Is the corrosion from the new GW paint, or do you use something else?

I really should give the oil washes a try. I bought the stuff for it, intending to try them with my own Death Guard, and even painted them to the pre wash stage, but never actually dared to try it. Seeing these, I might have to do something about that...

Those Grave Wardens turned out great! They look superb, can't wait to see the next unit on the list. Cataphractii would be a good choice, and who doesn't love painting Terminators? 

-Tarvik

Archived