Sons of Mortarion - Pre Heresy Death Guard

These are truly awesome! Is the corrosion from the new GW paint, or do you use something else?

I really should give the oil washes a try. I bought the stuff for it, intending to try them with my own Death Guard, and even painted them to the pre wash stage, but never actually dared to try it. Seeing these, I might have to do something about that...

Yup, the oxidation on the brass is just Nihilakh Oxide, it was applied onto the rivets and recessed areas of the brass and then I wiped over it with my finger to remove any excess. Didn't want to go overboard with it but it's a nice effect on the Death Guard chemical weapon units.

Give the oils a go, it's a bit more work than using normal washes but you can't replicate the effect any other way.

Those Grave Wardens turned out great! They look superb, can't wait to see the next unit on the list. Cataphractii would be a good choice, and who doesn't love painting Terminators? 

-Tarvik

Yep, everyone loves Terminators. I've already done a unit of Cataphractii (linked below) so i'll be adding to that unit to take it to 10 strong. Might play about with the weapons on the first squad though now its getting bigger, 2 Reaper Autocannons could be quite nasty......

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/276221-sons-of-mortarion-pre-heresy-death-guard/?p=3452391

Wow, those are some of the nicest terminators i've ever seen!

Thanks.

Amazing. Just amazing.

More, please.

No problem Heathens, more are incoming.

Very nice, its always nice to see your DG as they encourage me to do more on mine. You going to the weekender by any chance?

Cheers chap. I wanted to go to the Weekender but everything worked against me this year. I've just gone back to work for the first time since august after back surgery and i've got both my wife's birthday and our wedding anniversary in May. She'd kill me if i went off to buy toys ;)

You could get a similar result using pin washes but it'd be a cleaner result than using an all over wash. One if the benefits of a full wash is being able to streak the wash as you pull it away from the figure.

Some really sweet stuff you got here Midian!

I really like your Grave Wardens, and I also have a small question about them.

How do you do the chipping?

Sponge, chipping fluid or brush?

Because I can't get the results I am looking for with my chipping fluid and your is more or less the ideal chipping. :D

Thanks Packe ;)

The chipping is done with a torn piece of sponge and Charadon Granite. It's as simple as that. Given the amount of figures i'd end up doing I thought using a brush or chipping fluid would be too labour intensive and probably kill any momentum i'd build up painting them.

Then how come it looks so good on your marines and so bad on mine? What is your secret dabing technique?

I suppose I'll go back and try some sponge then. Do you use the blisterpack sponge or some other kind of sponge?

This is my favorite interpretation of pre-heresy Death Guard I have seen. Absolutely incredible work with the details and choice of colors. 

Thanks Marshal, always nice to get comments like that. ;)

I've edited the first page to include the text below covering how I paint and weather the armour.

How I paint and weather the armour

• The whole figure is given two undercoats - firstly with grey all over, followed by white sprayed on at a rough 45 degree angle.
  • Once the base colours are on, I use a piece of torn sponge to stipple the armour with Charadon Granite.
  • The figure then gets a coat of gloss varnish.
  • Once the varnish is dry, I make a 2:1 mix of brown and black oil paints, then heavily thin them with white spirit. This wash is applied to the entire figure.
  • After an hour or so drying time, I use a cotton bud to wipe away the wash from the upper surfaces of the armour, leaving the wash in the recesses, and giving a dirty, streaky finish to the white armour.

Cheers guys ;)

Well, I was going to work on another set of Cataphractii but seeing as they decided not to turn up before the postal service ground to it's usual Easter halt, I figured i'd carry on with the Breacher unit. Got the fun ones to do this time instead of the usual bolter fodder so it might be a bit more fun than last time.

Not the most exciting update this evening, just the usual procrastination and thinking about other projects. I have managed to get the transfers on the Breachers and ready for chipping.

• 2 weeks later...
Finally finished up the Breachers today and im glad to see the back of them to be honest. I've never liked painting anything with shields, let alone a marine carrying one. On the plus side, that gives me my two compulsory troop units when im not using Terminators. I'll probably add another Tac Squad down the road but for now i'll be expanding the Terminator unit before adding a Contemptor and a couple of characters.

Archived