Skeletoro's Great Company motivational thread

skeletoro

Thanks for your kind words! Really encouraging whenever anyone posts something like that. Cheers!

I'll try and be a tad more verbose about my experiences and tricks I've been learning as I update in the future. I'll have the first 5 grey hunters completed in the next few days hopefully and will post them up soon.

Really nice stuff Seletor-o!!

Your mix of bits has formed a very unique looking force!! I look forward to seeing more form you!! ...I am kinda embarrassed I didn't look in sooner, your stuffs really nice and your hobby room is the stuff of legends!!

End of Line

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/skeletoro/temporary.jpg

Ok, a few more grey hunters that are getting closer to being finished. They have a black oil wash over gloss varnish right now, so may look very shiny ;) I'll be touching up some details and then following up with a global dark brown wash (which desaturates the armour, making it greyer and less blue).

Some things I've learned... 

1. The more I use water-miscible oil washes, the less reason I can see for ever using acrylic/ink washes. They are amazing. I am just starting to get used to them, but they are really nice. They flow better, take longer to dry so can be blended, and even after drying fully can be reactivated with water. this makes tidy up easier, as you can wipe/brush off unwanted wash. You need to coat it with varnish before continuing the painting process though.

I plan on buying a few more oil washes asap. They seem to be especially good for metallics. I wonder if a nice gold could be accomplished by using a gold oil wash over a bright silver base coat - followed by varnish and an orange/purple wash.

2. I'm planning on trying an improved process once i've painted what I have started. Something like this:

a. base coat and zenithal highlight all major blocks of colour in the model. this includes steel, gold, bone, leather, black, red, white, flesh, pelts, armour. No washes yet. Start with 'outer' easier to reach colours, gloss varnishing and masking each colour off as you go until the armour is done last.

b. remove all masks and give second thin coat of gloss varnish. Do first pass of all oil washes. black and maybe blues for metallics, browns for bone, leather, gold, flesh, fur. mix warm/cold hues into each wash as necessary for each surface (e.g. wet blend warm browns and blacks for furs). leave armour plates for now - do it at the end.

c. seal off areas to take transfers with gloss, put them on, and then seal whole model with matte varnish.

d. touch up all areas with highlights/drybrushing as necessary (including pelts, especially). add any missing details such as runes etc.

e. gloss varnish, final dark brown oil wash. matte varnish.

f. sponge/paint chipping, weather with powders.

g. final coat of gloss varnish and then matte varnish.

think it should work well, but obviously needs thin coats because there will be like half a dozen coats of varnish alone.

Some WIP characters I am working on. First one is a rune priest - the chooser is magnetized. Other two are wolf guard - the one with the big sword may occasionally stand in as a counts-as ragnar.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/skeletoro/temporary-4.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/skeletoro/temporary-3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/skeletoro/temporary-5.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/skeletoro/temporary-6.jpg

I was wondering out of curiosity. Could you do a picture step by step guide to the process you described above, more importantly using the oil washes.

Its something I recently heard about here and on dakkadakka, but never seen used. My modellingand gaming sphere is very small, so new tricks and tips are always welcomed.

Btw one thing Ihave noticed here on B&C is a lot more scottish gamers, especially here in the north east. I always feel like I am alne up here.

Anyone know of any good gaming clubs in the Dundee/Montrose/Aberdeen area?

ELG is in Edinburgh, which is a few mins drive for you but doable. Wed nights 6:30ish to 10:30/11, bar downstairs, great tables/scenery, £2 to non-members.

Also I think that DanPesci is for Edinburgh way, dunno if he know any others.

ELG would probably require me making it an overnight stop

Montrose in 1.5-2hours to the bridge (I drive fairly slowly) without trying t get into the city.

Do they do games during the day time? I could maybe grab my friend in Methillhill along the way and make a day of it.

Sounds like a grat place to chill, have fun and play wargames

Fair enough that would be a bit of a mission. They have some weekend tournaments. There is also somewhere else in town that has gaming tables available on a weekend not sure about the details tbh will ask about this eve. Maybe try google or just asking around at local hobby shops. There will be some sort of club about.

apologies to skeletoro for hijacking his thread.

I checked out the maximini heads you are using Skeletoro and I have to say the 2 you have pictures of are the only 2 I like. Not my favorite sculpts, but on your guys the are working great!!

And the RP is also quite a sight!!

Your eyes on the beaky heads (and the rest) are really awesome!! I love the black ring and the white dot is executed perfectly.

End of Line

I was wondering out of curiosity. Could you do a picture step by step guide to the process you described above, more importantly using the oil washes.

Its something I recently heard about here and on dakkadakka, but never seen used. My modellingand gaming sphere is very small, so new tricks and tips are always welcomed.

Sure, no worries.

I'm almost done with my first 5 grey hunters, and I'm still somewhat new to the whole oil wash thing myself. I've actually had to fix many stuff-ups on all the minis and that's a big part of why it's taking me so long. And I haven't taken pictures very thoroughly.

What I might do, actually, is finish these guys and provided I feel happy about my process, start painting my first 5 blood claws (which are already assembled, for the most part) taking lots of pics from start to finish. It will take me a while to do this as almost every fancy technique that I am using, I used literally for the first time on the grey hunters you see above. I've done lots of research, learnt a fair bit, but my actual proficiency with the brush leaves a lot to be desired. I need practice smile.png But yeah. After these 5 guys I will paint up 5 blood claws from scratch and make that into a guide. I doubt I'll be finished within a month though ohmy.png

How does that sound?

I checked out the maximini heads you are using Skeletoro and I have to say the 2 you have pictures of are the only 2 I like. Not my favorite sculpts, but on your guys the are working great!!

And the RP is also quite a sight!!

Your eyes on the beaky heads (and the rest) are really awesome!! I love the black ring and the white dot is executed perfectly.

End of Line

Thanks a lot msn-wink.gif

Although it wasn't your intention, hilariously, I completely forked those grey hunters' eyes yesterday. Completely freaking ruined them, trying to achieve a glow effect. I was so upset I actually went to bed early. And then got up this morning and the first thing I did was read your nice compliment... about the work I'd irreparably messed up! Haha!

I think I might be able to fix them, but the glow effect is a bit too intense at this stage. With practice I think I'll be able to get it appropriately subtle. I think the key is: if you paint 'gem' style lenses, any glow must be quite subtle, because the lenses are not painted like you'd paint a light bulb - you've painted them with a reflection on them, which suggests that they are not an overwhelmingly bright light source! So the glow should be very minimal. If you want a brighter glow, you need to forget about painting the lenses with a reflection in them - just highlight the crape out of the lenses so they gradient up to white (or very near white) in the centre - like a torch.

apologies to skeletoro for hijacking his thread.

No worries. I don't mind getting my thread bumped msn-wink.gif

I was a little confused though because I'm in New Zealand, though one of my middle names (Gordon) and my last name (Kerr) are, I believe, Scottish. So it seemed a little random but I'm not worried at all.

Oh yes!!

Loving the mix of Forge World parts and the customisation. The axe, scabbarded chainsword are sweet and the guy with the knife?

You can feel the aggression!

Are these Bloodclaws or Grey Hunters and you'll add bolters to them? (If so I recommend the bolters from the TWC set whaich are in a leather pouch).

Thanks! They're blood claws. I've got 10 more awaiting paint, so it'll be a full pack.

I got excited and just ordered a set of 10 Windsor and Newton artisan water mixable oils... up until now I've been making do with just black and raw umber. I'm looking forward to going nuts with some purples, warm browns (for flesh and gold) turquoise shades (for my power weapons which will be p3 arcane blue... I'll put pics of my finished power axe guy tomorrow hopefully).

Archived