Looks good, really like the armour panels on the upper legs and also that extended rear neck guard which goes nicely with the iron armour helmet, it kind of gives a heavy siege armour look.

Looking forward to more progress.

The chest is from the power armored Praetor, and as much as I liked the big gorget/collar in the front, it's so big that you can't fit a helmeted head in there. I trimmed it down to the point where the MK III helm would sit normally, and even still, the high collar in the rear needed a little trimming to get it to fit. It's a lovely sculpt, but the inability to wear a a helmet with it is a bit silly.

The keratis warrior head might work on a "c word that heathens hate"--> obliterator conversion.  Wait, were "c words that heathens hates" exclusively post heresy? Hell, maybe for some sort of mechanicum thallax nightmare beast if so.

I wouldn't cut the head off that figure, because they're long OOP and expensive to get, though your idea does sound cool.

Those Dirz figures look perfect for what you had in mind for them and the scale looks excellent next to the marine in my opinion.  The Keratis Warrior looks like he would make an excellent ogryn for an Imperial Army regiment.

There's a mutated version of the Keratis Warriors called Dominators that would work even better as ogryns, I think:

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac348/RackhamMiniatures/Alchemists%20of%20Dirz/KeratisWarriorsTheDominators.jpg

Not much to update right now, brothers. I'm waiting on some resin to arrive from overseas and plan on waiting til I have a decent amount of figures assembled before painting any more of them, so I can assembly line them all at the same time. I have some Rhinos and drop pods I might start on, though.

The last several days I've been busy working on a collaboration with 1000Heathens, but we're keeping it under wraps for the time being. I will offer a little hint and say that the figure I'm working on is what Heathens and I imagine a marine scout might, or should, look like in the 30k era instead of the Captain Codpiece models that GW offers.  I believe it's one of my best conversions so far, and really think you guys will like it, once revealed. :D

-BCK

I can see it in my head already brother :smile.: get ready to cast a squad :tongue.:

Hold your horses there, speedy. This is a one-off.

30k scouts? Oh goodness I cannot wait to see this!

I've had an idea like this in my head for a while now, and with what me and Heathens were discussing, everything clicked into place to make the idea a reality.

As I mentioned in the Alpha Legion thread by Excessus, it wouldn't be too difficult to make MK IV legs from MK VI. A hobby knife, some files, and some greenstuff and sculpting tools are all that's required. (And the legs, of course.)

For reference, the only MK IV legs I have from Forge World, beside the jetbikers who aren't a good example, is this Destroyer body I got from Mikhail:

http://i.imgur.com/iuNNZr4.jpg

Next to it are the MK VI legs I'll be using, from the assault box. You could use MK VI with the round knee pads instead of these with the one-piece greaves, but it would take a little more work.

The first thing to do is to scribe a line across the front of the greave that is level with the lower side on the back of the leg: just above the red line in the pic is where you want to do it.

http://i.imgur.com/HER7d6D.jpg

Once you have that lane as your guide, press the blade into the groove to deepen it a little, but don't get carried away. Next, shave down the portion of the greave above that line, but don't take it all the way down to the leg - leave a little material there. Clean up the area with some files, smoothing out the upper area and the new "top" of the greave. If the line you cut across it is a little crooked, now is the time to fix it.

Next, apply a small blob of greenstuff to the upper portion and smooth it out into a rectangle. The shape of the MK IV knee pad is fairly simple, and you can cut across the top of the rectangle of GS to make a straight top for the knee pad, then make two cuts on either side, one horizontal and one vertical, to make the square cut outs on the sides.

http://i.imgur.com/DQjEFlq.jpg

Smooth out your GS again, and add a very slight curve to the square shape you cut out of the sides.

Edited by Brother Chaplain Kage

I'm surprised that they can even get power armor to continue to function in the 41st millennium and they haven't devolved back to MK I "Thunder Armor" with barely powered torso and arms, chain mail legs with armor plates strapped over them and no self contained atmosphere.  The bastardized versions of standardized plate that survive in the 40K universe don't even deserve numeral designations in my opinion.  Everything after MK IV should be just be called, "Thank the Emperor We Still Have Power Armor."

I'm surprised that they can even get power armor to continue to function in the 41st millennium and they haven't devolved back to MK I "Thunder Armor" with barely powered torso and arms, chain mail legs with armor plates strapped over them and no self contained atmosphere.  The bastardized versions of standardized plate that survive in the 40K universe don't even deserve numeral designations in my opinion.  Everything after MK IV should be just be called, "Thank the Emperor We Still Have Power Armor."

The lack of uniformity in the 40k figures is something that had bothered me for years, but I didn't realize how much until FW starting making the early armor marks and then their own rules for a Horus Heresy game. I mean, I don't want every figure to look exactly the same, but everything is so dissimilar in 40k.

IIRC MkVI through MkVIII are an improvement over the MkIV. The Lexicanum seems to agree with me.

That's the point Mikhail was making above: The Unification Wars and the Great Crusade should have been the pinnacle of armor development, because the WHOLE BASIS OF THE SETTING IS THERE IS NO NEW TECHNOLOGY. At least, it was in the old days. Most of the Mechanicum consisted of guys in robes worshiping machines they had no comprehension of, and pushing a button in a factory that, if it broke, would likely have no idea how to repair the ancient and now alien-like technology from millennia past.

Mark IV was the pinnacle of armor tech in the Horus Heresy, and anything after should be steps backward in increasing orders of magnitude, not the other way around.

IIRC MkVI through MkVIII are an improvement over the MkIV. The Lexicanum seems to agree with me.

That's the point Mikhail was making above: The Unification Wars and the Great Crusade should have been the pinnacle of armor development, because the WHOLE BASIS OF THE SETTING IS THERE IS NO NEW TECHNOLOGY. At least, it was in the old days. Most of the Mechanicum consisted of guys in robes worshiping machines they had no comprehension of, and pushing a button in a factory that, if it broke, would likely have no idea how to repair the ancient and now alien-like technology from millennia past.

Mark IV was the pinnacle of armor tech in the Horus Heresy, and anything after should be steps backward in increasing orders of magnitude, not the other way around.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/43072902.jpg

Ooooh, nice! Thanks for the tut, Kage! :smile.:

I couldn't just get it right before, but I will try again until it works!

I hope it helps. In my experience with sculpting, a lot of the time things can seem like a magic trick - I'd have no idea how something was done until I read about it, watched a video, etc, and then I'd feel dumb for not figuring it out sooner. If you have any art training at all, go back to the very basics of drawing where you first break everything down into simple shapes and apply it sculpting. Once you start looking at it with those eyes, it's like a veil being lifted that you never knew was there.

Ooooh, nice! Thanks for the tut, Kage! :smile.:

I couldn't just get it right before, but I will try again until it works!

I hope it helps. In my experience with sculpting, a lot of the time things can seem like a magic trick - I'd have no idea how something was done until I read about it, watched a video, etc, and then I'd feel dumb for not figuring it out sooner. If you have any art training at all, go back to the very basics of drawing where you first break everything down into simple shapes and apply it sculpting. Once you start looking at it with those eyes, it's like a veil being lifted that you never knew was there.

And those of us who have no art training at all will continue to use commission sculptors and other methods to get the armor we need.