Go to solution Solved by Brother-Chaplain Kage,

Well, my workstation had a catastrophic failure of sorts and I'm going to need to replace it. Here's a shot of how it frequently looks.

http://i.imgur.com/y84bOEg.jpg

It's...strangely comforting to know that I'm not the only one whose hobby area looks like this.

heh, view my live stream some time. You'll get that confirmation every single time.

Seeing pics of people's pristine and immaculately organized work areas always made me feel like a slob, so more confirmation that I'm not alone in this is a good thing.

Last night I tried out a new blue on my test model, and I think lack of sleep and my long work hours got the better of me.

http://i.imgur.com/LY76AUa.png

It seemed like a good idea at the time but I quickly realized that the blue is waaaaaaaay too bright for Astral Claws (it's brighter in the pic than it really is, but still, yikes). I was mentioning to some of the other mods that I definitely had more options to choose from because blue is my favorite color and I have an almost impulsive need to buy new shades of blue that catch my eye. While digging around for a certain blue and seeing how many colors I had, I thought I might share some of them.

http://i.imgur.com/AYu5jsl.png

The P3 stuff has great coverage and is very durable once dry, but some people don't like the satin finish they tend to have once dry. If you haven't tried them, you should. I bought mine when the line first came out and they were sold in packs of... six? There was a problem with the metallics in that first run and my experience was so bad with them I never tried them again, though I have read that once the issue was fixed they're quite good. The GFA color I bought to use for washes, tints, glazes, etc.

http://i.imgur.com/MikeXlI.png

Vallejo Model Color blues. If I could only buy one brand of paint, it would be Vallejo. Huge numbers of colors available across their different lines, and the quality of the paint is phenomenal. The dropper bottles are a bonus as well, not only for ease of use, but also to keep the paint from drying out. Unfortunately, my LGS quit carrying them years ago for some unknown reason (I did ask the employees, several times), and the "real" model store that stocks them in my area isn't real great about keeping them stocked. I know there's a few VMC blue shades missing and at least one VGC (Game Color line, which are copies of GWs old line) that I know of that's MIA.

http://i.imgur.com/VWJz0h6.png

I'm not even sure how widely distributed the Reaper colors are outside of Texas (they're based in the D/FW area) but their paints are pretty darn good with a nice range of colors and tend to be more moderately priced than the other big players in the hobby paint game. Two of these I specifically picked up to do to the acid worn blue color of the armor for my Crimson Sons. If anyone remembers my old attempt at building an Imperial Fists army, I used one of their now-OOP colors for it.

http://i.imgur.com/ykj99Xm.png

And last but not least is the GW stuff. I used to have all of the GW blues, but gave away most of my GW paints when they completely changed up the paint line... for the second time. You young'n's out there may not recognize that last bottle, but that was the "good old days" of GW paints and some of the first paint I remember finding that was dedicated specifically for miniatures. Unlike the screw-top jars the succeeded that old flip-top style and would dry out in a year or two, this jar is probably older than a lot of the board members and though it has thickened up some, it still works just fine with a little more water.

Am I also alone in this affliction, or does anyone else share my sickness?

Edited by Brother Chaplain Kage

I know this may sound like blasphemy to some but I'm not a big fan of the official Lufgt Huron model: the claw and shoulder pads are spectacular, but the rest doesn't do much for me. In defense of the sculptor though, after the coming of the Heresy era TDA, the Indomitus pattern is very boring to me so I spent some time digging through bits and trying things out and think I've settled on something I like.

The first sketch to see how the general pose felt:

http://i.imgur.com/dmx9ENA.png

The FW Badab books show that the Astral Claws have quite the inventory of Mk III and IV in the color plates and I wanted the chapter master to have a mix of old and new TDA pieces as a show of their wealth of ancient gear.

Some of you may recognize that giant powerfist from FW's Space Marine Character Conversion Set; I got mine during that weird transitional phase when they were doing stuff in Finecast and I always wondered why such a monster powerfist was intended for a normal marine. I only recently realized that it's the same base model powerfist as Huron's Ghost Razor claw with the marine's hand visible in the palm of the housing. Even more than that, I was thankful mine is in Finecast because a closer looked clearly showed me that the last two digits of the fingers and the last one of the thumb could carefully be shaved and filed down to turn them into claws and it would be much harder to do in resin. Now I don''t have to buy the official figure just for the claw or try to build one from scratch!

http://i.imgur.com/6v0REPq.png

And here he is looking a lot closer to what I'm wanting. Somewhere in my stacks of sprues I have a flamer that I think will work beautifully for his left arm but I wasn't able to locate it today. Once my Dremel battery recharges, he'll get some more headroom, and don't worry, the old heresy traitor icons will be removed and there will be a good amount of sculpting work done before he's finished. :)

Dantay, intimidating is exactly what I was wanting. :) Being a giant in termie armor with that claw weapon and a heavy flamer (both really bad ways to die, imo), he should look scary. I tried several different heads and then saw one of those and thought I'd give it a try because it looks like a pissed off marine, though the head itself and the headspace in the TDA needs some modification to fit properly. Without a Dremel or something similar to grind out more head room in the back of the armor, it will be really difficult to get a Cent head to fit.

Next thing to figure out is do I leave him looking a bit ragged from the parts I used, or do I patch up the damage and make his tabard thing whole?

Thanks! I've got a lot of ideas for the ACs but all the stuff GW is releasing about 8th in these little tidbits is pulling my hobby butterfly all over the place! Marines of course and now IGuard are sounding awesome and I have a whole bunch of unpainted Vostroyans and tanks that I'm thinking about. But I gotta focus and be practical. I haven't played a game since the late 90s or early aughts and marines would be better to jump back in with, I'm sure.

It might be cool to get some of the Texas folks together once the rules drop and do some games with the new system.

Are you planning on one Cataphractii pauldron and one Indomitus? It looks a little off at this point. As far as a Heavy Flamer, look into one of the Tartaros pattern Flamers, they're simply attached to the bottom of the arm and are small enough to be used anywhere. Very compact and great for CQB.

Hmm mixing up two patterns in one model, doesn´t really work for me, same with Horus´ eye and Death Guard Scythes.

Just doesn´t make sense for Huron I think.

Centurion head is ok, though...

Edited by LordVelype

Are you planning on one Cataphractii pauldron and one Indomitus? It looks a little off at this point. As far as a Heavy Flamer, look into one of the Tartaros pattern Flamers, they're simply attached to the bottom of the arm and are small enough to be used anywhere. Very compact and great for CQB.

Yeah, I wanted the asymmetrical look of the old and new and if I get real crazy I might try to sculpt the lion head (which should be a tiger head) on the Indomitus shoulder pad.

Hmm mixing up two patterns in one model, doesn´t really work for me, same with Horus´ eye and Death Guard Scythes.

Just doesn´t make sense for Huron I think.

Centurion head is ok, though...

But mixing them up does work for me. ;)

Once my Dremel battery recharges, he'll get some more headroom and don't worry, the old heresy traitor icons will be removed and there will be a good amount of sculpting work done before he's finished.

This is essentially just a sketch, if you will, because I like to nail down the pose exactly how I want it before I start on anything else. The torso in particular won't even look the same when I get done with it.

Thanks guys, I'm glad I'm not alone on the mixed armor look. :thumbsup:

I actually really like the mixed armour look. It shows that they have access to older armour without suggesting that they've stuck a complete suit in storage for on particular individual.

Yeah, my idea was that his armor is the best parts of the old TDA patterns that still functions and any gaps are filled in with Indomitus.

So, about that flamer?

http://i.imgur.com/JnaN9o3.png

I had a single 30k power armored marine heavy flamer that had some casting issues where the grip was so it valiantly sacrificed itself in a surgical procedure to serve the Tyrant. I lengthened it with some brass rod 'cause even though he's in TDA, I felt the nozzles of that heavy flamer were going to be way too close his hand for comfort. I re-positioned the small canister from the Grey Knight arm and I'm considering adding another tank on his back since I don't think he'd get but a couple of good blasts before exhausting that little thing.

Real flame throwers have two tanks - the liquid napalm (promethium) part and then another gas (usually propane) that is used to force the napalm out of the nozzles - and I'm sure most of you know by now that I'm a stickler for trying to put as much realism into my models as I can. Oh, and don't mind that Deathwatch shoulder pad... it's the only Indomitus shoulder pad with a collar (is that the right word? I'm tired) that I could find and wanted to see how it looked.

I usually call it the trim, but there's probably a proper armour name for it. I think the single tank is fine, that's how other 40k flamers work and it'd be a hassle to add more bits.

Helmet works really well, do you have a close up picture of the fist so we can see the hand in more detail?

I believe that bits called the haute-piece, but I could be wrong.

Glorious work, Kage. Very tempting to get a bunch of Legion Terminators now to convert stuff up. Regards the fuel tanks, I think it looks okay as is, but a couple larger tanks on the back would look very cool.

Trim. Jeez, why didn't I think of that? I really should go to bed. But first, here's the best shot I could get of the hand inside the housing.

http://i.imgur.com/EdPYio5.png

Being done in the early days of Finecast, the detail is a little soft but I can fix some of that with careful painting.

Psycho - I'd probably suggest the plastic Cataphractii arms if you wanna go for a mix like that. The resin ones look good but getting that upper shoulder pad to fit properly can be a nightmare and it's so thin it's quite easy to break it.

You could always have a second tank strapped to his right side as a reload. I think it looks good as is, personally.

Yeah, I might be trying to make extra work for myself that isn't necessary.

I always dismissed that fist as a poor sculpt but seeing the marine's gauntlet inside is a really cool feature, especially with the claw you made.

Time to hunt for that bit.

If you find one that's resin, be very, very careful trimming the fingers down into claws.

Thanks BP, I like it too, but it's comically large on a normal marine.

I hate having to wait for the new rules to drop before working on more figures, but I guess I could start on some bolter marines. I might need to plan on magnetizing all the sarges, HQs, and any special or heavy weapon marines in case there is actually some agonizing over weapon choices in this edition instead of the same auto-includes for every army.

And in bad news, both of my Dremel batteries are dead. I left the second one on the charger for about 30 hours and it didn't even run for 20 seconds. What really sucks even more is that no retail store I have contacted sells batteries solo and I will need to order one online. I might just go buy me a corded Dremel and be done with the recharging battery dance once and for all.