Go to solution Solved by Brother-Chaplain Kage,

Imho the head for the first chap is much too elevated. I appreciate it is currently tacked in place but I would urge you bring it down when you get round to painting.

It's a placeholder so the model wasn't headless in the photo and I didn't want to chop the neck down on that head just for this picture. I thought it was clear in the post that it was a stand-in and not the model's new head. 

I love the idea around the work on the top guy, going to look excellent once you've attached a head. Have you thought about some cables coming out of the plaguecasters stomach hole similar to the Forge World Plague Marines?

I have something else planned for this guy, but I'd already decided to borrow some stuff from the awesome FW plague marines. 

Very glad to see you're working on Death Guard, BCK. I didn't realise you'd gone into blacksmithing your own blades for your minis snce I last saw your work, but with your committment to conversions, it makes sense that it would be you if it was anyone.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the Plaguecaster!

Imho the head for the first chap is much too elevated. I appreciate it is currently tacked in place but I would urge you bring it down when you get round to painting.

It's a placeholder so the model wasn't headless in the photo and I didn't want to chop the neck down on that head just for this picture. I thought it was clear in the post that it was a stand-in and not the model's new head. 

Now, now! No need to be defensive, I was only trying to be helpful! ;)

What head are you going to go for? I actually really rate either the Imperial Fists upgrade heads or simple MK2.

Reading it again it sounds defensive and snippy and it wasn't intended, honest. :D

I was considering a Mk II helmet, but the more I look at the plaguecaster, the less I like. The smoke-like magic effect just looks odd and I've already chopped the staff away from his left hand. I also don't like all the bone and horn growths on almost every DG model and will be cutting away most of them. 

As for what I plan on doing with this gun in particular, I'm considering how much I want to chop away and convert. Since he's a sorcerer and channels more Nurgle-y goodness through him than the average DG might have, I think he should be more mutated with parts of him being very bloated and scabby, like the FW GUO. 

The sculpt work on the lelith frame is sweet! Cannot wait to see more work done to her.

The Death Guard look off to a great start. The knife idea is cool too. Fluff wise they are still pretty tough blades...model wise I'd probably break them while packing up for gaming.

Not being a fan of the new Typhus figure - it's less the pose and more the cartoony look to it - and also not wanting to pay what will surely be an exorbitant amount of money for it, I'm going to be making my own Typhus model. Inspiration will be taken from this new art piece that I wish the official model looked more like:

Yfrls7Z.png

And the beginning with the Lord of Contagion for scale:

jqPOm1p.png

To make sure he fits in properly with the new, larger DG minis, I've given him some more height in the legs and also the abdomen. Referencing the legs in the art above I decided to use Tartaros legs as the base because the lower legs already somewhat match and there's no reason to cover up some perfectly good Cataphractii legs with greenstuff if I don't have to. 

Edited by Brother Chaplain Kage

Damn it BCK I was going to do basically the same thing with my Lord Of Contagion. Are you going to have him chocking someone?

I feel the same about a lot of the Death Guard models when it comes to horns and growths. The odd bits are fine, but it feels overdone. Also the amount of bells they have, it's like they are Morris dancers in their spare time!

Looking forward to the conversion! Pretty stoked about all the goodies DG are getting, a little sad about the blow my bank account is going to feel because of that, and really at a loss of words for the new Typhus.

The pose looks more like he is yelling at the heavens because he forgot his cell phone at home and he is halfway into his commute to work. Then there is all the stuff happening around him. Those nurglings and flies all around him makes me think he is trying his darndest to become the next pokemon master at catching them all. Definitely excited at seeing what you churn out.

Damn it BCK I was going to do basically the same thing with my Lord Of Contagion. Are you going to have him choking someone?

I feel the same about a lot of the Death Guard models when it comes to horns and growths. The odd bits are fine, but it feels overdone. Also the amount of bells they have, it's like they are Morris dancers in their spare time!

No, he won't be killing someone, choking or otherwise. I agree that some of the DG stuff could stand to be toned down a little. 

The pose looks more like he is yelling at the heavens because he forgot his cell phone at home and he is halfway into his commute to work. Then there is all the stuff happening around him. Those nurglings and flies all around him makes me think he is trying his darndest to become the next pokemon master at catching them all. Definitely excited at seeing what you churn out.

LOL, I've done that yell at the heavens at forgetting my phone on the way to work.  The nurglings everywhere with the new DG isn't something I'm real keen on and it frequently adds an irreverent feel to the mini when I'd rather they be more serious. 

I wanted to get more work done today but I banged the crap out of my hand at work (half of my hand is swollen) and it was hurting so much I couldn't keep working, but I hope this gets a better idea of where I'm going with Typhus. 

UlgM4m4.png

Obviously not doing an exact copy of the art, but simply drawing inspiration. The head is a stand-in until I decide exactly what to do, but the FW Deathshroud is already pretty close to his helmet shape. I was a little worried I had gone a too thick on the leg armor but after a few hours away from it then coming back to snap the pics, I think it looks just how I intended - like Typhus is a juggernaut of disease-ridden death. 

Yeah, I agree the thicker legs fit him nicely, and the head could work I guess, it is difficult to judge without its characteristic rhino horn. However the FW deathshrouds wear tartaros pattern armour, which are more curvy, so maybe it would look better if you made it with more edges.

Oh man your Typhus is going to be a monster! Really liking how thick you've sculpted his armor plating, really makes him that much more imposing! For the closed fist arm, I think if you raised it a bit more so that the head isn't looking down it would look closer to that doctor doom art. As it is posed right now I'm imagining him looking at a heart he just pulled out of someone's chest. Looking forward to seeing more, and hope your hand recovers quickly!

That new head will work better and looks more like typhus imo. The clenched fist idea looks great and so is the pose in general.

With both legs sculpted the bottom half does not looks as bulky as I first thought. Love how you get such clean sharp edges when sculpting. Look forward to seeing where you go from here

Love the Dr. Doom pose for inspiration. Your Typhus is definitely going to have a sweet look for one who is a warrior-sorcerer.

Also, he is a beefcake! Any idea for embellishing the armor with some trim if any, like on those armored gams?