Go to solution Solved by Brother-Chaplain Kage,

New flamer is looking boss. 

The new Culln pose.... wait.... OOOOOOH SOLO MIOOOOOoooooooo... doesn't really cut it for me. It makes me wonder what he's doing, besides opera. Maybe give him a shield, or a piece of scroll or a hologram using an epic termiator, like IP does?

I think Augustus is on point with that call brother.

I presume you're doing the battle of Pireaus and I always got the feeling the fighting there was balls to the walls of gutting and killing, not a whole lot of time for grand gestures and fancy challenge callings, that's if this is for the duel pledge.

Just quickly re-read the battle (if it is Pireus) for you, seems if anything old mate Culln had the high ground. His storm bolter was trashed almost immediately. Seems their fight was nasty as all buggery and about as finesse-less as possible for two formidably skilled warriors.

If it just just a pair of models not interacting I think you're all good. 

Love coming back and the BnC is up and BCK has an updated thread!!

Missed this the last time around, and thanks. I like your suggestion about an assault cannon for Culln, but I can only seem to find one of the really old metal ones and it looks terrible. 

Huron gets his legs bulked up and while not pictured yet, I think I found the perfect bit to use for his iron halo. 

oIG9ayF.png

I also played around with some oyumaru and an Astral Claws rhino door just to see how good the icon would look, since I don't have any land raider doors and FW no longer sells either set. Or the decals. Or the shoulder pads. 

vmUTvxb.png

It came out well enough, but I did mess up on the mold a little and will try again later. I might use this cast for a storm shield or something.

I also played around with some oyumaru and an Astral Claws rhino door just to see how good the icon would look, since I don't have any land raider doors and FW no longer sells either set. Or the decals. Or the shoulder pads.

Yeah.... Thanks Forge World! :lol:

In any case, Huron's looking good, and the symbol looks good enough to me imo.

Considering the mold was made from a recast -- woulda bought the real ones if they were still available -- it turned out OK. The last time I looked for Astral Claws stuff on FW they still had the power armor shoulder pads, but now the only thing that comes up in a search is Huron. 

Considering the mold was made from a recast -- woulda bought the real ones if they were still available -- it turned out OK. The last time I looked for Astral Claws stuff on FW they still had the power armor shoulder pads, but now the only thing that comes up in a search is Huron. 

Because Huron is the only Astral Claw model left at Forge World. Everything else went with the last "Last-Chance to Buy" fiasco.

Hell, what's really weird is frigging MOLOCH and the Chaplain for the Minotaurs have disappeared, and there was no announcement of them being LCTB.

Huron is looking large and in charge!

I can rummage around for an assault cannon bit if you are interested in it for Culln. I know I have some vehicle sprues with them but cannot remember if I have a proper termie one. And shipping won't be bad at all seeing as we are both Texans. Let me know :)

I appreciate the offers, but I don't know if I'm going to go with an assault cannon and if I do I know I have one around here somewhere. 

In other news, I really thought I had bought some Astral Claws LR doors as well as the ones for a rhino and managed to find them with some digging. 

dVWfNQ7.png

I also ran across the partially built Leviathan I got when they first came out and forgot how big they are. 

wWwQp3J.png

I definitely want to build and paint some Astral Claws stuff that includes toys that weren't available at the time of the Badab War books, like other terminator marks, Leviathan and Contemptor dreads, maybe a Fire Raptor if I can salvage it. Oh, and a Typhon. That would be neat in silver and blue, right?

Indeed, Trans. Given the amount of older armor marks the color plates show them having in the Badab War books, I feel certain Lord-Commander Bligh would have given them more of the goodies that FW has produced for the Heresy line since then. 

Spent a few hours on some accessories for the Tyrant tonight:

dnZlCh4.png

Most of that was making an oyu mold of the claw icon from the front rhino piece, casting it and trimming it out of the other detail around it it's still a bit rough, I know). I'm not sure about it, though. The FW figure has a banner with a topper of the claw icon, but what do you think, brothers?  I might need to lean it forward a bit more if I do decide to keep it.

As for the iron halo, I had intended to put it top of his armor like most halos on TDA, but I was afraid it would be extremely fragile like that and it fit so nicely where it is, and don't worry, it will get blended in with this armor later. I would have done it tonight, but I have an early morning and I'm going to bed as soon as I post this. 

Things still left to do: His other knee pad, clean up the heavy flamer where it was converted for left hand use, something with the belt, maybe a new tabard, housing for the claws, wolf head shoulder pad, and maybe a little more bling. 

I never was a fan of the banners on top of the TDA or power armor marines. Maybe I'll just do away with the icon. 

In other news, I made an oymaru mold of one of the LR doors with the large icon on it to try out an idea to make a storm shield. 

H2XaF97.png

I didn't mean to cut the top left part that close to the icon, but it cracked in that spot and I might be able to clean it up later. The shield is a bit rough, but this was mainly just a test to see if it would even work, and the milliput/GS mix worked well for it, allowing me to cut and sand it easier than just GS alone. I may even use this Dusk Raider model to lead Huron's terminator retinue since that old project is pretty much dead. 

Yeah, I’m digging that shield. With a little trim/rivets around the edge I think it would really pull it together and look “finished”.

As for Huron, I would consider changing his tabard to something closer to the official FW model that showcases their unique Chapter aesthetic. That helmet with the TDA is a thing of beauty, too. Really in love with that combo.

Yeah, I’m digging that shield. With a little trim/rivets around the edge I think it would really pull it together and look “finished”.

As for Huron, I would consider changing his tabard to something closer to the official FW model that showcases their unique Chapter aesthetic. That helmet with the TDA is a thing of beauty, too. Really in love with that combo.

I never was a fan of the original model, and the only things I liked about it was the claw and the lion head on the shoulder pad. I've come up with some ideas for my own aesthetic for them and will be working some of those in as I finish up Huron, but his tabard will be replaced. 

Awesome work BCK as always, love to see some more Astral Claws.

I think you need to slant Huron’s claw icon a little more forward, from the side it looks like it’s falling backwards.

Thanks, and  yeah, the icon does need to go forward a bit. 

Oh, that shield is lovely!

:biggrin.:  I was going to type "I don't know why didn't I think of using LR icon doors as shields before", but then I've only recently had the ability to make a copy of one, and buying several sets of them to fill out a squad would be (for me) prohibitively expensive. 

I made another one today and it turned out better. 

o11gyND.png

The shape needs a little more refining, but I discovered there is a flaw in the oyumaru mold just below the lower left arm of the maelstrom spiral so I will re-make the mold tomorrow. If anyone else should want to try something like this, I strongly suggest mixing something like Milliput that cures very hard with the GS to assist with cutting, shaping, and sanding it. I think I used a 60/40-ish mix of Milliput to GS. To get the curve to the shield that I wanted, I let it cure for about 2 to 2.5 hours and checked the consistency of it to make sure it was still pliable, but firm enough that pulling it out of the mold and handling it wouldn't leave fingerprints or mush any of the detail, then set it on bottle I laid down horizontally and let gravity to the rest while it finished curing. 

To keep from cracking it like I did on the first one, which happened when I cut deep into the top part of the shield, I did something different this time that I've seen woodworkers do by making small cuts from the outside into the area where the line of the shield will be. I think they're called channel cuts? I dunno, but I'm sure someone out there will know the proper term. Here's an outline of the cuts I made. 

syeIuwN.png

I drew the general shape of the shield in first, then made the channel cuts you can see on the left side before I started to cut the excess material away. 

With the first one, I posed the shield with that Dusk Raider character of mine who is actually quite large and is taller than the shield. The only assembled normal sized terminator I could find on short notice was this Lysander I had converted a while back. 

fkgudLd.png

The shield is much larger on him and I had to angle it so that it wasn't hanging below the level of the base. For unmodified termies and power armor marines, a rhino icon door might work better, unless you like having massive shields. :smile.:

Actually, I like that piece removed in the top right of the shield. Almost like the Breacher's Shield with the gun slit / rest. It would also assist with viewing as well. Not saying use the damaged one but I'm sure you could modify the nicer one to have a more... elegant... silhouette. 

Actually, I like that piece removed in the top right of the shield. Almost like the Breacher's Shield with the gun slit / rest. 

That's what I was going for before it broke, lol

For giggles, I checked the FW website to see what they had in the way of shields, and there's only 3 options: Ultramarines praetorian breacher shields, the old school Black Templar storm shields, and the more recent Imperial Fist storm shields. Looking through the Land Raider and Rhino door options I saw a number of them that would make great storm shields and picked a few of my favorites. 

hG3l6FL.png

I think the Nurgle one would look really cool as a shield, and some of them, like the Iron Warriors and Thousand Sons already have a handy shield shape built in! Just cut away the excess.