Go to solution Solved by Brother-Chaplain Kage,

Your shield looks cool, but considering it's based on the Land Raider/Rhino door (IIRC, the two vehicles' doors are interchangeable), I have to wonder how the Astral Claws Terminator can even get in/out the Raider with that thing. Does he use the frontal assault ramps exclusively?

Your shield looks cool, but considering it's based on the Land Raider/Rhino door (IIRC, the two vehicles' doors are interchangeable), I have to wonder how the Astral Claws Terminator can even get in/out the Raider with that thing. Does he use the frontal assault ramps exclusively?

The first figure I posed with a shield is considerably taller than a normal terminator because the history I had written for him was that he was abnormally large before becoming a marine. The rhino doors are smaller than the LR doors though:

dVWfNQ7.png

Oh I want a shield with that Nurgle Icon on it. 

Have you considered the plastic shields that come with Imperial Knights (and the resin shields that come with the Chaos Knight shield)? 

Nah, I got my shield needs covered for now, but thanks for the suggestion. :)

Not happy with how Culln's figure is coming along, I've been trying to come up with something else and decided to abandon the figure last night and go with something else entirely. Between making the molds and casting the shields for Huron's retinue, my bits box and sprue vaults have been thoroughly rummaged and after hours of searching and more of working on a pose, I think I have a solution that might work. This is is a rough sketch, but I present Culln 2.0:

NFodn5V.png

I've always wanted to have a terminator with a 2h grip on a sword, not a polearm or flail with a long handle, and I quickly came to see that the GK torso is the smallest in width and has the best possibility for making this work. I had to shave the insides of the arms, the sides of the chest, the raised areas where the arms normally attach, and push the arms forward just a bit to get the "Come At Me, Brother" pose I wanted. Not even going to worry about his storm bolter since it was destroyed in the fight with Huron anyway. 

I do realize there's only one hand at the moment, but I'm taking a break because my hand is cramping after messing with this tedious crap for several hours. Despite that, I am quite happy with it. :)

#3 in the classic heater shield pattern. 

KCPAeGx.png

I've resigned myself to not getting a perfect copy of this, probably because it's such a big piece, but this has less issues than the previous molding attempt. 

Really nice pose for Culln. This is much better for the duel. Good luck with the hand, I’ve struggled with 2 handed weapons myself. Lining up tangents in a 3D space isn’t easy. This diorama is going to be great.

Fantastic tutorial videos! It does make a difference to see it in video form. Well done for putting the work in. I and I’m sure MANY others appreciate this. I’ve also got answers to the three questions I had...how much oil? How do you clean the oil off?...and how do you pronounce Kage.

So I’m happy and look forward to more models and more videos if you get the chance.

1) Not much oil at all, just enough to keep the clay shaper from sticking. 

2) After the GS has cured, a light scrubbing with soap and an old toothbrush is what I use. I also do the same for every figure before painting, just to be safe. 

3) Like I say at the beginning of the videos. :D

I knew I had some doors from some years back, and found most of them. 

BMcfxhj.png

I may copy one of those IF doors for that Lysander figure, 'cause what that figure needs is more fist icons, amirite? Also having just checked the FW website, these are all OOP now, replaced by bland, boring remakes. Except for the Iron Warriors LR doors, as there's no such thing for sale on the FW site. 

Sorry, I was on the losing end of a mild insomnia attack last night and missed that part. D'oh. 

On a sad note, I just lost an old friend. 

bPNUhhz.png

I was going to change the blade, holding the blade by the top edge to immobilize it and when I twisted the bottom end to loosen it, it broke. :cry: I've had that since before moving to central Texas, which was in 2001, so it's probably 20-ish years old. 

I have a spare that used to belong to my brother - we got them at the same time at the same hobby shop - but he's long since left the hobby and I kept it around to put the older, dull blades on for things that didn't require a very sharp edge. I definitely got my money's worth out of it, lol. I was using it scrape down some of the imperfections on the shields, including the new #4 just before it broke:

hhJqAV8.png

#5 is currently clamped into the oyu mold. And progress on Culln's maddening sword pose:

bsaBbDT.png

I had to change the left arm because of the way the forearm was rotated, and I know it looks like a train wreck right now, but greenstuff will make it all better. After that, I have to figure out how to un-GK the chest. 

Cryptix, that sounds cool but I don't know if I can pull it off. 

There wasn't much hobby time today, but I did get to play around with one of the first Tyrant Guard... errr... I'm going to need a different name for Huron's retinue. Anyway, this guy. 

s1E7PeH.png

His lower leg isn't on because I had a brain fart and lightly glued his other foot to the base, since he would not stay upright with blue tack, before I attached the lower leg and there wasn't enough room after to put it on. The shield slipped a little while I was trying to take the pictures and it will fit on his arm above the level of the base. 

I also tried out the Imperial Fist icon for a shield and was quite surprised at just how good the oyu copied the detail of the chainmail on the fist. 

soDSQ7E.png

I need to make a copy of the the hands on the back of one of the storm shields and cast what I need for these guys. 

I went the Nemean Eternals(insert X cool name there like Kataphracts or janissaries) feel free to use mate.

Nemean is the only reference I could get in there that was both a mythological beast (that hadn't been taken by IG) and also a lion (with an impenetrable pelt to boot!).

Cryptix, that sounds cool but I don't know if I can pull it off. 

There wasn't much hobby time today, but I did get to play around with one of the first Tyrant Guard... errr... I'm going to need a different name for Huron's retinue. Anyway, this guy. 

s1E7PeH.png

His lower leg isn't on because I had a brain fart and lightly glued his other foot to the base, since he would not stay upright with blue tack, before I attached the lower leg and there wasn't enough room after to put it on. The shield slipped a little while I was trying to take the pictures and it will fit on his arm above the level of the base. 

I also tried out the Imperial Fist icon for a shield and was quite surprised at just how good the oyu copied the detail of the chainmail on the fist. 

soDSQ7E.png

I need to make a copy of the the hands on the back of one of the storm shields and cast what I need for these guys.

Actually rather impressed with how the shield looks, though I wonder if his hand/the handle will be more central on the end product?

Sorry to hear of the loss of a trusty tool. Especially when its been in your hands for so many years!

The shields look great and it's pretty nice to see them take shape. Also, a name for Huron's retinue? The Tyrant's Claws? I just love how that termie is about to bring down his blades on his foes for the Tyrant!

Also, a name for Huron's retinue? The Tyrant's Claws?

Good lord, why didn't I think of that? 

dyMfOtr.gif

In other news, I may have hit on something to un-GK the torso for Culln, using the topper from a Tartaros termie. 

TTh9Jmr.png

There will be more work to blend it into the figure better, but I like the way it looks. 

Oh, that looks nice, and having so much headspace could allow you to sculpt some fancy collar or overhead "arch" (no need to go overboard, but some details as Cryptix suggested would be nice to embellish his armour as chapter master).

About the shields, while they personally look a little too big for me, I really like the idea and the symbol looks undeniably cool. The Imperial Fists one also looks fantastic, and I think a round shield kinda befits them due to the Hurscarls being the honour guard of Dorn. The only issue I see is that the fist seems to protrude a bit too much, specially compared with the thickness of the shield. Again, a matter of personal taste, and considering the overexageration of many weapons present in this universe, it does not look out of place at all.

PS: thank you very much for the GS smoothing videos, hopefully I'll get to practice it soon.

Edited by Elzender