lookin' pretty fantastic so far

Thanks! Im sitting here with a 30/0 and a dab of black paint cutting in all my chipping.. Was fun on the test mini, just sucks now..

I'm not a fan of that green.  The gore/sick is fine, but that shade of green is...off.  It's so bright.  It's somewhere between patina-green and seafoam green, and looks more like paint than rot/decay/grossness.  

Of course that very well me the intention, for them to have painted their armor that color, but it still strikes me as ugly in the wrong sort of way (as opposed to the proper, pretty sort of ugly Nurgle demands).

I would add brown, either as a wash to deaden the 'clean' nature of the green, or add some light brown into another coat or drybrush-esque highlight to give it that more typical icky off-white-off-green Nurgle look.

lol.. i like my ugly Verdigris color.. Its just inside the pastel range so i can easily blend it to hell and back.. it still doesnt show up in these pics as quite the right color..

Funny thing was with a blue background my camera didnt even want to focus on it..

I may go back and do a touch of blue mottling to it after I bring them all up to the level of the test mini..

May suggest during the paint job add some oil-slick so it looks like their bodies are just flowing with plague juices?

When I built my nurgle army, I studied extensively on the oxidation of metals so where the sores and flesh bursts out, the armor edges were rusting to a blood-brown and red, so you might want to consider that.

Aside from being pastel, it just doesn't look like there's any real depth.  A wash really would do wonders for these guys, if only around the much more prominent trimming, i.e. the shoulderpad lines.

There seems to be some dirty-dusting around the edges of the backpacks on a couple.  It's still that icky flat sort of pastel shade, but it could still help with that.

I know how you feel though. I picked up the brushes for a Templar yesterday, probably for the first time in around a year, and all I could think was "How the hell did I do this before?!"

Oh, that helps quite a bit :)  Breaking up the solid slabs of green will do the trick, I think.  Might be kinda hard to do correctly, but it may be interesting to try and paint some nasty stuff dripping out of cracks here and there, like the Cleaved.  But seeing as the fractures are only painted on, it may be too hard to pull off convincingly.  

How do you do the rust on the bolters, by the way?

Thanks Firepower.. 

Ya, not sure about the ooze.. Just trying to get all cracks to look convincing atm..

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff70/Zsoulless/DSC02382_zps712e34be.jpg

Just a little more work and I think ill be happy..

The bolter rust is just a dry brush of complimenting Browns over a dark grey base.. Ive yet to highlight it..

OOOh! they looked little plain before, but now they've got that 'POP!' definitely like it, especially around the pustles and stuff, really makes it look like it is breaking out.

+1

They look a lot better than the previously finished-and-awesome ones! If you really want to push the contrast or "pop", I would a fine shadow work along the recesses. Maybe just some black-lining but using a wash or ink so it's easier and quicker to apply.

What's that? Did I hear "Blood for the Blood God!" somewhere in the not-so-distant future? whistlingW.gif

Thanks Guys!

OOOh! they looked little plain before, but now they've got that 'POP!' definitely like it, especially around the pustles and stuff, really makes it look like it is breaking out.

+1

They look a lot better than the previously finished-and-awesome ones! If you really want to push the contrast or "pop", I would a fine shadow work along the recesses. Maybe just some black-lining but using a wash or ink so it's easier and quicker to apply.

What's that? Did I hear "Blood for the Blood God!" somewhere in the not-so-distant future? whistlingW.gif

Maybe.. I dont know.. Im kinda feeling downtrodden about the level and simplicity of my own sculpting on the last 2 projects.. I think I really want to do something that challenges me more..

Maybe.. I dont know.. Im kinda feeling downtrodden about the level and simplicity of my own sculpting on the last 2 projects.. I think I really want to do something that challenges me more..

I might say these are a little less complex than your Noise Marines, but I wouldn't call either of them simple. However, I completely understand the internal critic and if this is all too easy for you, I can't wait to see what you might challenge yourself with. :D

Thanks Guys!

+1

Hm. I have a few ideas for you that I could sketch out which would probably prove very tricky/complicated sculpts. I can draft them up and PM them to you if you're interested.

Thanks for the replies Guys.

I don't know if it will challenge you to much but maybe you could make scratch build daemons or greater daemons or both? Either way I think we are all excited to see any project you put out!

To be Honest Im not much into Daemons

I might say these are a little less complex than your Noise Marines, but I wouldn't call either of them simple. However, I completely understand the internal critic and if this is all too easy for you, I can't wait to see what you might challenge yourself with. biggrin.png

I just sat down and did a bunch of head studies and instead of pitching them I tacked them onto armor.. My Noise marines lacked character compared to my plague marines IMO..

Thanks Guys!

+1

Hm. I have a few ideas for you that I could sketch out which would probably prove very tricky/complicated sculpts. I can draft them up and PM them to you if you're interested.

Thanks but I really dont want to do other peoples work atm..

This is me just trying to enjoy my hobby again, and re-learn all the skills it seams ive lost over the last few years..

And I thank you all for the constructive criticism as ive plodded along..

Im thinking I want, more surface area, more detail, more character..

Maybe a couple terminators, like a little loganwing or something..

I dont know..

Hehe, I didn't mean work for me, rather ideas for things you're already doing. Mostly your Noise Marines project. Though I guess it would still be "my work" in a way even if I just supplied the original concepts. Hm.

Anyway if you're looking for surface area and character, Terminators and Dreadnoughts are always good platforms to work from. thumbsup.gif

And I'm always glad to criticize my betters. Can't let you all go realizing how good you are or you'll get lazy :D

I just sat down and did a bunch of head studies and instead of pitching them I tacked them onto armor.. My Noise marines lacked character compared to my plague marines IMO.. 

Uhh, I think those are some of the most characterful Noise Marines I've ever seen, but if you can do better, :cuss, let's have it!

Ill Take as many ideas as your willing to give!! Right now im kinda in limbo..

Im tossing around doing a number of terminators, or maybe just doing a full sculpt.. something insanely intricate like a Sisters of battle character.. 

If you're looking for something intricate, what about doing characters for your CSM, leaders for each squad to follow? A Fabius Bile or Lucius would allow you to work on Faces and skin trophies, while a Khârn would be chains and bulging muscles. Or maybe you even update Abaddon's model, based on This Cover and updating him to the new terminator sizes?

Thanks Guys!

and while I like Abbadon he doesnt fit into my build...

to not put too fine a point on it..  "the Undivided" is a tongue in cheek reference to my main build concept.. Im breaking up all of my builds into smaller threads instead of one blog.. Each Elite unit will distinctively represents its self Very well.. While the bulk of my force(s) will be made up of Ambiguously Converted loyalist troops in a pseudo-UltraSmurf color scheme and hydra Imagery... The dual purposing of my army will be further represented by  twin lords, One with a loyalist build the other with a chaos one.. And Allies galore

..As in I dont use him in my chaos army at all..

Archived