I just played a 2k game against Black Templar with Imperial Fist allies. His was more of a test for IF allies, mine was a test for DA allies.

My list:

HQs

Shrike

Sammael(Corvex)

Elites

Vanguard Vet Squad - x10 Jump packs, 4x PWs, Sarge with P Axe and SS (RG)

Venerable Dread - Drop Pod, MM

Troops

Sniper Scout Squad (DA)

Tactical Marines - x10, Meltagun (RG)

Scouts in LSS, Bolters (RG)

Fast Attack

Assault Marine Squad - x10 men, Meltabomb, CS, PW

Ravenwing Black Knights x5 (DA)

Heavy

Stormraven - TLMM, TLPC(RG)

Thunderfire

ADL/Quadgun

His list(Best I can recall):

Emperors Champion

IF Captain with PF

Master of the Forge Conversion Beamer

Command Squad with Apothecary Drop Pod

x5 Man Crusader Squad

x5 Man Sniper Scouts

x10 Man IF Tac Heavy Bolter

x10 Man IF Tac Heavy Bolter

x9 Man Sternguard x5 Combi-melta x4 combi-plas Drop Pod

x10 Man Vanguard with a large assortment of PW and SS loaded for bear

ADL/Quadgun

Mission: The Scouring

Deployment: Dawn of War

Deployment

He won the roll off, he deployed first. There were a lot of ruins and some mysterious terrain. The objectives were almost perfectly divided. His ADL/QG were front on center with an objective behind it and a tall ruin. He put both Tac squads on either side of the QG behind the ADL with the MotF above and behind them in the ruin. The crusader squad was on my left in a ruin towards the left midfield objective.

I deployed my TFC on my right flank in a ruin and the ADL/QG on my left using the ruin to box in an objective and put my AMs in it at the edge of my deployment. The BK/Sammael were outflanking. My Tac squad was in the 'Raven. I won the roll off for infiltrators. I put my Sniper Scouts in the ruin above the objective. Shrike on the VV infiltrated into a body of water 12" (LoS blocked by a ruin) from his right Tac squad, near the edge of my right and center tile edge. I put my LSS right next to them for the jamming beacon on the tile edge and behind another ruin. He put his Sniper Scouts in a ruin to my far right next to the board edge and an objective.

I did not try to seize.

The hunt had begun.

Turn 1

Night-fighting in effect.

The objective next to his IF tacs was worth 4 points, mine was worth 3, the one on the left was worth 1 and the center-ish one was worth 3 and the one near my TFC was worth 2 and the one near his snipers was worth 2.

His objective was a grav-wave generator. The others were too far away. He was going to drop his Stern/IF Cap next to Shrike but he realized my LSS had a jamming beacon(He had fallen for it a few games back already) so he tried to drop it exactly 12" away almost in the exact center of the board. It scatted 10" in front of his QG. Bonus! He disembarked them on the opposite side of my VV/Shrike towards his ADL. He shuffled his eft IF Tac into the ruin to join with the MotF. His snipers took a wound off my TFC. His Conversion Beamer wounded some AMs but I saved them all. I was too far away/out of LoS for anything else. My QG intercepted his stern and killed 1.

My objective was also a grav-wave. Ven Dread came down right next to his DP and in front of the ADL. The Dread disembarked with his DP between it and the QG. My AMs jumped up towards his Stern. VV/Shrike jumped over the ruin and were right in front of the right IF Tac squad. LSS followed the VVs. Snipers killed 2 Sterns. TFC whiffed. Dread ate his DP. First Blood to me. AMs tried to assault his stern but were short, even with WD. I shouldn't have shot at the stern. Their casualties made me fail the charge. VVs easily got into CC with his IF Tac squad. My VV Sarg with PA/SS challened his IF sarge. I lost 1 plain VV and he lost all 9 tac marines. 4 from Shrike alone and the rest from PWs. My sarge died in the challenge. He tried to break but I caught him and we were locked in CC. WHich was good.

Turn 2

None of his reserves came in. He moved his stern towards my AMs. He killed off my TFC and killed 3 AMs from everything that could shoot them. Sterns only used bolt pistols. Shrike watched while the VVs killed the IF tac sarge and consolidated 5" towards the ruin with the MotF/IF Tac squad in it. The sterns assaulted my AM's and we tied combat. His captain broke off to fight my dread but a failed invul ID'd him.

My 'Raven and BKs came in. I moved the 'Raven up about 20" where a DP blocked LoS from his QG. The BKs came in from the left side, which is where I wanted them. I knew he would send his Champ after Shrike so I wanted to set up Sammael to intercept. Shrike and crew hopped into the ruin with the IF Tacs. My lonely Tech ran towards the snipers. The Snipers/BKs/'Raven killed the crusader squad on the left. PotMS missile took a wound off the QG. Shrike assaulted the Tacs and refused the challenge. His sarg had a PF and I wanted to take no risks with Shrike. the VVs killed all but the MotF and a random Tac. He tried to break but I caught him. My dread charged in with the Stern and my AMs and won 3-1 wounds. He passed morale.

Turn 3

His VV and CS/Champ came in. He planted his CS/CHamp right next to the ruin with Shrike. Just as planned. his VV landed next to my Tech. No idea why he did that. My QG intercepted them and killed one. His snipers headshot my Tech. Shrike maimed the MotF and the VV killed the last Tac. I consolidated 5" out of the ruin away from is CHamp. Dread/AM lost combat 2-0 due to the Dread whiffing but didn't break. His VV ran towards the 2 point objective and it was sabotaged and exploded killing none.

Sammael and crew moved up next to his ADL and CS/Champ and unloaded killing 2. 'Raven flew up and unloaded killing 2 more. Tacs stayed inside. LSS moved up, scouts jumped out and killed the QG. Shrike and crew joined my Dread/AMs and slaughtered the stern. Sammael made the charge into the Champ and the last Vet. The BKs killed the Vet and Sammael and the Champ did no wounds.

Turn 4

My Tacs jumped out and grabbed the 4 pointer. My SNipers huddled around the 3 pointer. His snipers grabbed the 2 pointer and the VVs made a break for my snipers. They were over 48" away so I wasnt worried.

At this point he knew it was over so we just did Sammael vs Emperors Champion. Sammael won. Eternal Warrior was key here.

Victory 10-3 me.

7 Objective Points, 1 Slay the Warlord, 1 First Blood, 1 Line-breaker. He got 2 Objective Points and Line-breaker.

Over all it was fun. I expected his Stormtalon but was surprised he didnt bring it. Shrike/VV and Sammael/BK were two unstoppable pain trains. The support from my 'Raven and Snipers were perfect. Going second with SHrike/VV infiltrating so close was great. My LSS jamming beacon probably won me the game as SHrike/VV got in CC without a single casualty and I only lost 4 VV the whole game as they were in CC every turn they made their points back and more. Sammael is the perfect HQ hunter and Shrike is the perfect assassin. Winged Deliverance did a bunch of wounds but he saved them all. The re-rolls for charge range didnt really affect the game but were a nice back up.

Edited by Brother Tyler
Tags edited

Good game! I see your mobility ruled the battlefield here! Density of terrain helped you I guess. Kinda surprise you didn't really make Sammael join VV, but this turned out still very good anyway.

And right, Sammael is awesome, worth every penny spent on him. Almost every fast-pace space marine army want him!

Cheers!

I knew Shrike would infiltrate close enough and wanted Sammael to move around independently. We rolled relatively high for terrain density. Not too high though. I just got lucky with LoS blocking stuff.

Mobility was definitely the name of the game.

Excellent Bat Rep! Brother, if it's not too much trouble, could you share with us what you think did well, what you think you could've done better and what you learned from the battle?

Would very much like to get a detailed analysis from the victorious general himself :)

No prob! And thank you.

Things I could have done better:

1. I should have Multi-Assaulted with my VVs against the IF Tac squad and QG. It was good luck that they stayed in CC against the Tacs and the scouts managed to kill the QG later.
  2. Better placement on my TFC. If I had placed it about 6-7" more to the right his sniper scouts couldn't have infiltrated into cover on the right in an optimal position to snipe it. Or I should have had it far left with my own ADL/QG so if there was a flyer the Tech could man the QG.
  3. Starting the BKs/Sammael on the board. Between my snipers, Shrike and crew and my AMs there was plenty of support for them. THey could have also turbo-boosted if I needed to. This was minor as I had a good board position and the came in turn 2.
  4. Not shot the at the sternguard. I should have left them be so my AMs could reach them for WD HoW.
  5. Had one less power axe/one more power sword in my VV. Minor, but I know in the future it will be better that way.
  6. I forgot to include this but the LSS had an assault cannon. It missed 13/16 shots, not statistical I know but just going with a HB from now on. Those 20 points could be better spent on other things.

Things I think I did well:

1. Not trying to seize/Shrikes positioning and my LSS next to him. This saved him from a rather deadly sternguard squad and got him into CC fast.
  2. Keep Sammael separate. If I could not have gotten Shrike close I would have put Sammael in with him to scout closer but because I infiltrated 12" away and in cover I kept him with the BKs s a response team. Worked very well.
  3. Using Sammael to go HQ hunting so Shrike could tear up scoring units. Yes.
  4. Picking Black Knights over regular RW. Their plasmatalons and corvus hammers(Corvus!) did great work.
  5. Overall planning/positioning. I was able to mitigate almost all of his first turn offensive power and hit hard the second turn. Shrike and crew tore up most of his army.

Things I learned/Food for thought:

1. Be very careful as to not kill too many guys to deny oneself a charge.
  2. Scouts have move through cover so if they gravchute from the 'Raven they wont take dangerous terrain. Interesting way to grab an objective or set up a bolter line. The Tacs inside were fine but if I had to Skies of Fury due to a high probability of my 'Raven gong down some camo bolter scouts gravchuting out would have been decent and a minor points saver.
  3. The DA codex is an amazing ally. Their bikes have everything you would expect from the Raven Guard. Scout, Hit and Run, Skilled rider, the works. I mean really,   Raven Wing,  Raven Pattern Bikes, Corvus Hammers?  It's like a RG bike supplement.
  4. Sammael is worth every point.

Thats all I can think of right now. Again, his list was a test one, thats probably how I won so hard. Though I'm confident I would have done well anyway with this list. I really like it a lot.

Edited by Nusquam

nice batrep.

Your list:

My first thought on reading your list was that sammael seemed out of place without RW troops, or a RW command squad, but as you explained, you had a specific role in mind, which worked out well.

Black Knights versus RW Command Squad is an interesting discussion - I guess no banner/apothecary was necessary?

His list:
No mention of how effective (or not) the IF traits were. 
How do you think you would have fared versus a list with flyers?

Cheers, Paul.

Nice report, good read, especially your later comments. Always good to hear Shrike tearing it up in combat.

It's a solid list and sounds quite good. My only experience for LSS is to put on a heavy flamer. That seems to mitigate their BS and it's always fun to toast something squishy in cover.

Excellent Stuff Nusquam. The scouts in a Stormraven is an interesting idea which I first saw in the UM sub forum. I think this has a lot of potential to win us games.

Well done. I too would like to see how this fares against a flyer list. Although I don't see too much trouble because flyers come at a premium, thus any ground forces will be smaller and easier for your boys to take out. Once their troops are wiped out, it'll be significantly harder for them to win.

The RW seem to be more and more likely to be viable allies to take. I would would definitely want to try them out, though Sammael might be a step to far for my tastes but too each his own.

Paulochromis, on 01 Oct 2013 - 07:03, said:

Paulochromis, on 01 Oct 2013 - 07:03, said:

nice batrep.

Your list:

My first thought on reading your list was that sammael seemed out of place without RW troops, or a RW command squad, but as you explained, you had a specific role in mind, which worked out well.

Black Knights versus RW Command Squad is an interesting discussion - I guess no banner/apothecary was necessary?

His list:

No mention of how effective (or not) the IF traits were.

How do you think you would have fared versus a list with flyers?

Cheers, Paul.

The thing with Sammael is he has to be in a primary attachment to make RW troops. Not sure if thats what you meant. The command squad is nice but I wanted those plasmatalons and corvus hammers so they could take out rear armour and eat marines. That and I could take more bodies. Expensive, but for what you get its worth it imo. Though I just noticed that the RW can take a Speeder if it reaches a certain number. So I'll look into that as well.

Edit: I misread the Command Squad for the RW. They get plasma talons and hammers too as well as access to FnP. With the points saved on less bodies and not taking a FA slot I could potentially throw in a Darkshroud for some delicious 3+ jink saves. Or the banner.

Double Edit: Yep, taking a RWCS with Apoth and dropping the AC on the LSS net me a Darkshroud perfectly at 2k points. Interesting...

His IF traits were helpful, re-rolling 1s helped with overwatch but bolters vs marines arent particularly effective anyway. I thought as soon as I saw the QG he would bring IF devastators for Tank Hunting Interceptor fire but he didnt. That and Shrike got in there so quickly to kill the Tacs.

My local meta doesnt have flyer themed armies. The most you'll see is two night scythes or a 'Raven and 'Talon. Maybe a razorwing. With my QG, going second with the 'Raven I wouldn't be too worried. Between interceptor fire and PotMS to tag two flyers I felt pretty good.

Brother Tiberus, on 01 Oct 2013 - 07:12, said:

Brother Tiberus, on 01 Oct 2013 - 07:12, said:

Nice report, good read, especially your later comments. Always good to hear Shrike tearing it up in combat.

It's a solid list and sounds quite good. My only experience for LSS is to put on a heavy flamer. That seems to mitigate their BS and it's always fun to toast something squishy in cover.

Thanks. I like the idea of a HF. I forgot the LSS was fast.

Edited by Nusquam

Don't forget -1T shell and -1I shell from raven wing grenade launcher! Against fellow marines that help you chap down them first!

While they are good for things like Riptides and other MCs they arent so good for squads of Tacs as it is on a per model hit basis instead of unit.

"Every model in a unit hit by one or more...blahblahblah"

So it's a unit hit, every model in it affected. Don't be fooled by your angry opponent again lol.

You're totally right, though it was just me not being capable of reading XD. I have a massive head cold and can barely function. I'm glad you pointed this out.

RW Command Squads can buy more guys.

Yeah they can be five bikers now, but why RW command squad if they are not taking std anyway? Plasma Talon? RWK take that too, and they are more killy.

Ohhh I didnt read the FAQ(Oops ha). Thats awesome. I cant find a difference between the RWCS and the BK other than BK being FA and costing 2 points more per model and having up to 10. Plus not taking a BK means I can take a Darkshroud.

Edited by Nusquam

Nusquam, you've just inspired me to really try out DA allies. Although I'm not going to go Sammael, as I can't think of any fluff explanation that is acceptable to me, I'm taking a command squad with librarian on bikes. The Darkshroud would be excellent for providing cover for our troops. And it has the added bonus of having scout.

Librarian with Divination is good and cheaper. I like to take Sammael because his rules and abilities are top notch and I have the same name haha. That and I want this alternative model. It has a saying on the side thats similar to our war cry and looks like a lot of fun to paint.

The RWCS is great and the DS has serious potential. I also just read in the DA FAQ that now all company veterans can take combis, power weapons, SS and the like. They are substantially cheaper than a Sternguard squad for Drop Poding in a bunch of meltas to eat a tank.

Example: Sternguard x10 with x5 Combi Meltas is the same cost as x10 CV with x5 Combi-Meltas and x5 Combi-Plas or x5 SS if you face a lot of low AP interceptor fire.

I'm partial to Sternguard but Company Vets have some potential as well to drop in, eat a tank ad shoot its occupants. Or give 2-3 power weapons for a charge next turn, or if you know you'll be charged etc.

C:DA Company Vets miss out on the special ammo, but I agree that they are looking good as First Blood takers.

True, thats where the points you save come from. Though I've had games where special ammo was key and others where it didn't matter. I just think the CVs have potential to be a cheaper alternative to Sternguard. This may be where min-maxing comes in but its just a thought.

DA vet have more flexibility builds. Think VV without JP and SV without ammo, and there you go, DA Veteran, who can go Dakka or Shoota in a unit! And the point is decent 20 like before so nothing to complain. You just need to know what you want them to do.

I personally want them pure, like pure melta drop, for example, DA vet is a better option. It's just point sink if I play only C:SM and want SV go melta drop.

Also my friend for example, made it 9 men, with 5 plasma guns and 2 SS, and libby, in drop pad. If they can't be taken cared, they will mess up everything, but if his opponent take care of them, he has to left DW termies in front of him and ready to be charge next turn.

SO I just made an altered version of this 2k list.

HQ

Shrike

Sammael

Command Squad - x5 Gravguns, x3 SS, Melta Bomb, Apothecary

Ravenwing Command Squad - x5, Apothecary

Elites

RG Dreadnought - Drop Pod, MM

RG Vangaurd Vets - x10, Jump Packs, x2 PWs, Sarg w/ PW, SS, Melta Bomb

Troops 

DA Sniper Scouts

RG Tac Squad - x10, Plasmagun

RG Scouts - x5, Bolters, LSS/HF

Fast   Attack

RG Assault Marines - x10, x2 Flamer, Sarge w/ PW, Melta Bomb

Heavy

Storm Raven Gunship

The idea is that Shrike infiltrates with the VVs with the LSS next to him. Sammael scouts the RG bike command squad. The RWCS scouts on its own. The AMs follow up the bikes. Dread turn ones a tank. Snipers cover Shrike and crew. Melta Bombs for everyone. Tacs hang out in the 'Raven and act as a resonse force. The Gravguns kill any MC or dakkas a tank. The RWCS beats face/plasmas high priority squads. The rad grenades -1T things likes Tau Crisis suits for ID from the plasma and so forth. LSS burns what it needs to. Moves fast, hits hard.

Great batrep, thanks for that. :) A bit of a question though, and apologies if I'm just super tired and misunderstood. It looks like you infiltrated Shrike with the VV, and then assaulted on the first turn? Doesn't the rulebook say under the infiltrate section that anyone who infiltrates can't assault on the first turn, even if you go second? On page 38 it says "A unit that deploys using these rules (infiltrate) cannot charge in the first turn." Is there anything which would counter this?

I believe it's first game turn. which means that if you go second, you can go straight into assault. Which is what he did here. Otherwise there is no way around it.

If it is first "game turn" - a game turn does not end until after both players have gone through the whole move,shoot,assualt, consolidate...etc. So if this is hwo it is worded, then he could not assault on "his" first turn.