JJD's Dark Angels

JJD

Looks really great! Keep them coming!

Thanks Bevulf. I’m not at your level yet but I feel like I’m still improving (though I’m tied in some what to match the rest of the army my edge hilights get a little sharper each time) and I’m trying new things such as the plasma coils.

I’ve had the week off and I was aiming to get the five I’ve built finished this week but I’ve been having too much fun on day trips with my tiny aspirants. We are off to centre Parcs for the weekend (That’s right a bigger money sink than 40k) then it’s back to shifts but I am feeling super motivated so let’s see what I can get done.

:tu: nice dark scheme Brother, and yup the glow is subtle and tidy like it should be :tu:

Thanks Stobz. What ever people think about the Primaris fluff the models look great and I’ve enjoyed painting him.

I can’t wait to get on with the rest of his buddies.

Nice work! Plasma glow is v. nice.

I'm still working through my 10 since the start of the year :(

Yeh the only regular marines I paint are in speeders or on bikes (aka Ravenwing). Primaris marines are just so nice.

Max

Nice work! Plasma glow is v. nice.

I'm still working through my 10 since the start of the year :(

Yeh the only regular marines I paint are in speeders or on bikes (aka Ravenwing). Primaris marines are just so nice.

Max

I still have a whole betrayal at Calth set that has been paintently waiting for the DA to get the proper HH treatment.

• 2 weeks later...

2 more Hellblasters have been completed.

My GW brushes are getting a little worn out so I bought some new brushes from army painter. Last night I tried out the character, insane detail and psycho. The price was about a third of the GW artificer brushes and on opening the box the tips of the brushes were tiny. They looked very promising for deatail like the individual feathers of a chest Aquila or the little feathers on the Primaris dark Angel icon. Unfortunately when I tied them I found they didn’t keep a firm point whilst painting.

Maybe I need to get used to a different type of brush but after one try I’m a little disappointed.

Really? Because my AP brushes work way better than the overpriced GW ones. Maybe try out the other ones and see if you just got a bad one :sad.:

The paint didn’t seem to flow as accurately. I’ll have to keep trying.

Now progress

med_gallery_74577_9223_727468.jpeg

Every little counts

Edited by JJD

The Hellblasters look great! :tu:

As far as brushes, I’ve found the Army Painter ones to be very hit-or-miss with regards to their ability to keep a point. I’ve had some thicker ones by them keep a point for a very long time while smaller brushes have splayed after the second/third use - and vice versa. However, I would say exactly the same about GW brushes. Compared to my W&N Series 7s, I wouldn’t recommend either of them, but you have to be willing to get Series 7s and I’m also really hard on brushes. For older GW metallics, I won’t use my 7s though, the flecks are too heavy and I personally felt like there was a lot of wear on my brushes from them. The newer silver and gold seem to work well though and I don’t feel like there was a lot of breakage of bristles from them like the older formulas seemed to produce. I usually use a synthetic for metallics though, unless I’m specifically using the new ones from GW.

I’m also personally really bad about getting stuff into the ferrule, so I wash my brushes a lot to try and get that stuff loose.

You’re not the first person to recommend W&N series 7s. I will probably have to give them ago but I wanted to give a cheaper option a try first. I guess you get what you pay for.

I had some good brushes come from Army Painter - that’s what I used when I did all the detail work on my venerable Dread, so it’s not like they can’t be quality, it just took me longer hunting for them. I actually used some water at the FLGS to see how the brush would re-point before I would buy them, and the owner sent a few brushes back after I did so. I haven’t had a brush not re-point after cleaning with my W&N7s, except when I had purposefully using them to stipple or they were five years old and I’d started using them for over-/dry-brushing (which they aren’t actually very good for, you’re better off using a semi-stuff synthetic for that, they’ll last longer.

But YMMV. I’ve also seen people highly recommend Rosemary & Co brushes and Raphael 8404s.

Found this review - seems pretty legit compared to my experiences with the W&N7s. (Quick edit: apparently posted a shopping list) http://handcannononline.com/blog/2012/04/27/kolinsky-sable-paint-brushes-a-comparitive-review/

Thanks that’s really helpful. I have read similar things before but I thought for my skill level the cheaper Army painter brushes might be good enough.

From what I’ve found, if you aren’t working with a high enough quality equipment, then you won’t be able to push your technique to higher levels because your equipment just won’t handle it. I would also caution folks against wasting money - I hate working with Size 2 brushes, Size 1 is as large as I go, so I just don’t buy Size 2s any more. Before you spend a lot of money on something, try techniques or skills you really want to practice with your current brushes and just see if they will suffice. If you can’t achiece good wet blending with your current brushes, but you really want to do that, then maybe spend a little money to upgrade and see if you can with the new ones. Some brushes just don’t have the right combination of qualities to do certain techniques well.

Good luck to you, JJD, whatever you decide to do- you clearly have good technique so looking forward to seeing some more!

Half the squad finished and I have totally enjoyed painting the new Primaris Marines.

Now I need to build the rest of the squad. I still feel like I want my squad leader in robes and I am leaning towards using the primaris lieutenant.

gallery_74577_9223_1043225.jpeg

med_gallery_74577_9223_369248.jpeg

Edited by JJD

I’m away at a country wedding with no kids. Sadly my wife is a bridesmaid and I only know about two of her friends at the whole do. So I’ve found my self with a couple of hours whilst she has hair and make up. The result was a long jacuzzi and the the other 5 Hellblasters built and scraped. The mould lines weren’t nearly as bad on this sprue. I couldn’t help but use the Lt body for the sgt. Sgt’s need robes or tabards damn it!

I just need to decide on the sgts head. Hmmmm oh well nearly wedding time.

med_gallery_74577_9223_833450.jpeg

Edited by JJD

They look great - nice use of Zakariah’ body!

To be honest GW seem to have planed for it. Both the plasma incinerators held in one arm have a hole in the shoulders join that fits over the peg on the right shoulder of the Lt. No trimming needed.

• 1 month later...

I have recently changed rolls at work and the change in shift pattern has left me struggling to find hobby time and let’s be honest I wasn’t exactly fast to begin with. I haven’t attached the head to the Sgt yet as I am not 100% decided on using the helmet or going bare head. Any way here is my update.

med_gallery_74577_9223_186113.jpeg

med_gallery_74577_9223_494875.jpeg

Edited by JJD

Wow! Tthats amazing man! Totally gonna try and do the same thing when i get to mine!

Thanks Zacret but I can’t take credit for the kitbash I got the idea from someone else on the forum (I can’t remember who or I would give them credit) and the pieces fit without any effort.

I just need more time to finish’s the squad.