JJD's Dark Angels

JJD

I haven’t yet sealed any of my army. Mostly because in the back of my mind I never think of them as finished and I plan to go back and fix little bits. I have suggested trying a few games of 8th with a friend and if I am going to be playing and transporting them I think they need varnishing. What varnish would you recommend for this army. Edited by JJD

• 3 weeks later...

med_gallery_74577_9223_691877.jpeg

med_gallery_74577_9223_1320766.jpeg

So I finally started building my Rhino/ Razorback I intend to leave the top loose to swap between the two options so I decided to paint the interior.

I’ve had a bit of a nightmare building the rest as my plastic glue had spoiled.

Edited by JJD

• 1 month later...

Well it’s taken over a month to finish but here is my finished Razorback

gallery_74577_9223_570397.jpeg

And because I am a horrendous completionist

med_gallery_74577_9223_242567.jpeg

I used both forgeworld doors but saved the front panel as I though it might get too busy.

I will probably use the front panel on the Predator.

Now onto the Predator. Let’s see if I can do it in under two months.

Edited by JJD

Looking good, the details on the console are terrific. And a month is pretty good timing when you’ve got a baby in the house! I know how much they killed my paint mojo for the first year or so

@ Komodo - Thanks I am really pleased with this one. My edge highlights are getting sharper.

@ Dark Rage - I wanted the red gun to fit in with the rest of the army particularly the land raider. I think it’s the right amount of red. Not too 2nd edition I hope.

@ Greenz - 4 and 18 months now and they sure do take up your time. I do like to get all the details I can’t help myself.

My only regret is putting the ram on the front as it doesn’t fit in the space in my KR foam and sticks into the land speeder space but hopefully I can work around it.

Edited by JJD

I’m usually quite focused as I don’t get much hobby time but as I was making a start on the predator I was hit by inspiration. So here is the very early stages of Azreal Supreme Grand Master of the Dark Angels.

gallery_74577_9223_572157.jpeg

I need to work out the colour scheme for the robes and there is more green stuff work on the watcher.

Edited by JJD

To have a bit of contrast when looking from the front, you could have different colors on the inside of the cape vs apron and hood.

That’s what is making me unsure. The armor is going’s to be green obviously so do I make the hood and apron purple or is there a good third colour.

Or do I make the hood, apron and rear cape bone white and the inside of the cape purple.

I’m struggling to visualize a colour scheme that I am happy with.

Edited by JJD

If it helps at all I went for this for my Azreal - I am not a big fan of purple myself but prefer a dark red ;)

Contrasting colours would be the best way to go so as to help the different layers stand out.

gallery_62353_13277_2093.jpg

On the same model you are using I went with this scheme but you would have to pick an alternative colour to the dark green for the rear of the cloak.

gallery_62353_13277_2438.jpg

I’ve set my mind on bone white robe and outer cape with purple inside cape. It feels right for Azreal unforgiven and Penitent.

I’m waiting for the green stuff to dry overnight. He should be ready to prime tomorrow along with the Predator.

Edited by JJD

I played my 1st game of 8th edition today and where better to start than Warhammer World. It was my first game in about 2 years and I played against my friends new Death Guard. We played 30power level and it was quick and fun. All that was left on the table at the end was his lord of contagion 6 pox walkers and my biker Librarian.

I had a great day out and took a quick family photo

gallery_74577_9223_175551.jpeg

I think once my youngest starts nursery I will try to make a few more regular trips.

• 3 weeks later...

So I decided to finish the Predator before I start on Azreal.

I added a layer of highlights between warpstone glow and moot green a mix of the two. The highlights show up a bit more on the table top. Hopefully you don’t think it’s too ‘Tron’.

gallery_74577_9223_490233.jpeg

Obviously I painted the inside too. I have a problem.

med_gallery_74577_9223_225596.jpeg

Edited by JJD

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice work with the Azrael conversion, I look forward to seeing it finished. Awesome army photo at Warhammer world.

I’m looking forwards to finishing him. The limited edition Chaplain is a great model. I’ve had the idea for the conversion for quite a while but I’ve been waiting until I had the confidence to try it.

I know the idea came from someone posting in this forum. I wish I could remember who it was .