JJD's Dark Angels

JJD

Another bargain joined my paint queue this week to join my £7.99 speeder. It seems my local WHSmiths is stocking individual copies of Warhammer Quest and a good friend of mine snagged me a Primaris Librarian for £7.99.

Hopefully they will stock the whole run and i can grab a few more bargains like the rhino and repulsor.

Edited by JJD

• 3 weeks later...

Number 8 has arrived.

med_gallery_74577_9223_493387.jpeg

I wasn’t thrilled with the army painter brushes I ordered and so I decided to try another brand. I read a review of case arts own brand sable hair brushes and decided to give them a try. I ordered size 2, 1 and 00. I used them for the first time today. Good full brushes with a good tip. The are firmer than the army painter brushes which I much prefer. Over all I am very impressed especially at the price. The only issues is the never seem to have 0, 00 and 000 in stock at the same time.

Anyway two more Hellblasters then on to a Talonmaster, scouts and Primaris librarian.

Hellblasters are looking awesome, and I really like the robed Sergeant!

Thanks Space Hulk. Now come on GW give use more robes Primaris. Ideally a little cheaper.

Looks good! Really like your greens!

Thanks Zacret I worry the warpstone glow doesn’t stand out and all you see on s the moot green.

While I'm certainly no expert painter, I think the Warpstone Glow is supposed to just soften the transition to the Moot Green, rather than acting as the primary highlight. I've been experimenting with just using Warpstone on it's own for a while, and my overall conclusion is that it's too subtle, and that you need the sharpness of the brighter highlight. However, if you use Moot Green too heavily, or if the Warpstone was any brighter, I think you'd run the risk of them looking too luminous (more Tron than 40k ☺).

In other words, your greens look great mate, and personally I wouldn't change them ☺

I been there to. If it bothers you you should try and mix some moot green in the warpstone for the first highlight and try it out.

I have actually done this with the tanks and some character models as a middle highlight.

While I'm certainly no expert painter, I think the Warpstone Glow is supposed to just soften the transition to the Moot Green, rather than acting as the primary highlight. I've been experimenting with just using Warpstone on it's own for a while, and my overall conclusion is that it's too subtle, and that you need the sharpness of the brighter highlight. However, if you use Moot Green too heavily, or if the Warpstone was any brighter, I think you'd run the risk of them looking too luminous (more Tron than 40k ☺).

In other words, your greens look great mate, and personally I wouldn't change them ☺

Thanks space hulk. To be honest I think it's the lighting for my photos that's more the issue

If you wanted another option, I really don't get on with warp stone glow, to subtle, too transparent. Switched to Niblet Green (dry brush colour) lots of watering down though...

I totally agree with what you are saying Warpstone glow just seems to be very low pigment in comparison to other greens.

There are some great examples of different DA greens on the forum. Zacrets Dark Angels are a great example of a subtle green highlights and Bevulf takes the high contrast green I am going for to another level.

With that said at this point I feel I’m too deep into the army to alter the green recipe too much. I’m happy with them and the Warpstone doesn’t look as washed out in natural light.

• 2 months later...
I started these guys in August and I finished the first 5 in less than 4 weeks. How did it take the next 5 months to finish the other 5. Edited by JJD

amazing man! Great paintjob and the sargeant are still stellar!

Thanks Zacret. I am pleased with the Sgt. They are intended to be run as a ten man squad to make the most of WFTDA but should things change in the future the marine at the front aiming a bolt pistol could easily be promoted and make two, five man squads.

So freakin' awesome, I like the way you paint mate, like the lack of bright highlights.

Five months for five guys is faster than most of us paint around here, so congrats :D

Thanks Grayraven. I’m mostly just happy to finally be able to play them. That said I dropped the sergeant and he broke off the base and ripped the grass up with him. Now I’m waiting for the new Armageddon dust to set so I can call him finished again.

Edited by JJD

Excellent :thumbsup:

Nice to see someone making progress - I just keep plugging away at the bikes but don't seem to get anywhere ;)

What have you got planned for your next project?

Excellent :thumbsup:

Nice to see someone making progress - I just keep plugging away at the bikes but don't seem to get anywhere ;)

What have you got planned for your next project?

Thanks Elmo. Next up is a talon master. I was going to start tonight but the kids have drained me so I’ve had takeaway a few beers and now I’m struggling to keep my eyes open watching Spider-Man.

• 1 month later...

A little work in progress on the talon master. I was hoping to get more done but I decided to finally paint the hall instead. Some progress is better than none. Hopefully he’ll be ready to face some Deathguard in my next game.

med_gallery_74577_9223_67551.jpeg

You might spot a redemptor dread in the background. Quite the bargain for the cost of two issues of conquest. I’m looking forward to painting him.

I’ve been ordering the individual issues I want from forbidden planet. I got the primaris librarian and the dread. I’ve preordered the apothecary issue.

I had a bit of a strugggle putting the lid on. A bit got caught at the back and trying to fix that before the glue set lef a gap on the front side I am not very happy with.

Still almost there now just the two crew. I’m on track to finish him for my game on Friday.

med_gallery_74577_9223_662854.jpeg