JJD's Dark Angels

JJD

Looking really nice Brother, love the smooth robe work

:tu:

Stobz

Thanks Stobz. I spent ages trying to decide on colours.

I’m really happy with how he is turning out. The purple blended really nicely and the trim came out better Than I hoped.

I am paticulary pleased with the red feathers on the helmet.

I’m going to freehand the banner but I can’t decide how to make a black power sword look right.

I’m going to freehand the banner but I can’t decide how to make a black power sword look right.

Couple of ideas, no clue on if they work.

- Start with Runefang siver and then do multiple layers of nuln oil gloss and have just the cutting edge show the runefang

- Do a blend from black to fenrisian grey and then give it some shine with a coat of gloss nuln oil and/or 'ard coat

Have a look at my Sammy one in my thread, good luck finding it, somewhere in the middle pages

;)

I know I’m a fan but this just reminded me how well you paint. If anyone is interested you can find Stobz Sammy here

Couple of ideas, no clue on if they work.

- Start with Runefang siver and then do multiple layers of nuln oil gloss and have just the cutting edge show the runefang

- Do a blend from black to fenrisian grey and then give it some shine with a coat of gloss nuln oil and/or 'ard coat

From looking at his sword in the in the GW shop I think I will try something similar to your second suggestion. Thanks for the ideas. Edited by JJD

Silver with glaze/wash over works best to simulate "powered down sword"

For "on" sword I would say follow the usual power sword blending technique, just go from black to grey/white. Some ideas:

a01%2B%252839%2529%2B%2528800x710%2529.j

There's as well great colour for bases of black power weapons, Vallejo Model Air 073: Black (Metallic); not sure if you want to go metallic look on the sword (meteorite that is processed into metal) or more stone-y look (meteorite that is processed directly into blade without any forging). 

I’ve realised a stupid error. I’ve put heavier highlights on the top but when I attach it to the model the top will be the bottom. Face palm.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about that too much. Just have the Sword be so sharp at the tip, that it defies the physics of light.

I know this sounds a bit stupid, I'd just have it point somewhat outwards and let the paint job be an eye catcher

Thanks for all your the positive comments. I added a bit more highlight to the top I couldn’t help myself. I’m happy with the sword now sadly It’s a bit washed out in this image but you’ll get the idea.

So here is Azral in all his glory stoically striding to battle Combi-plasma blazing. I hope you like the finished conversion. It’s quite different from the official model.

gallery_74577_9223_278108.jpeg

Banner and base time

Hopefully he will be done by the end of the weekend

Edited by JJD

really nice, good work :D

Thanks I am really please with Azreal. I’m looking forward to painting the banner. I was going to paint some Ravenwing next but I might need to get some hellblasters and an LT for him to march into battle with.

Sweet work! Looking really good, JJD. Keep going :D

I’m off for a long weekend with my girls and we have lots of fun planned so I don’t know when I will get chance to finish him up but I’m am looking forward to trying some free hand.

superb work, i can tell it's nice :tu: even through the haze of the smoke grenade :lol:

that purple really pops nicely !!

Jedi voice- "Do the HellBlasters..."

cheers Mithril

Well I do have 10DA heavy support shoulders from Pop goes the monkey sitting around so............... Edited by JJD

I love that guy. He looks disappointed with whoever he's about to slag.

Thanks GRC I love him too.

The only issue is that when I glued him to the base it has caused him to lean forwards so his gun is pointing slightly down. I’m going to wait until

I have attached the banner before I decide if it is worth altering.

Edited by JJD

The Supreme Grand Master of the Unforgiven Azrael.

med_gallery_74577_9223_604390.jpeg

The freehand on the banner was very difficult on the smaller banner but I am happy with how it turned out.

I am thrilled with the finished model and I can’t wait to use him.

Edited by JJD

Awesome freehand!

Thanks Sneakybamsen. I think my freehand on the Banner of devistation was a little better but I had a bigger area to work with. I think the red background worked a little better too but this one is true to Azraels banner in the books. I’m am pretty proud of this one.

Edited by JJD