JJD's Dark Angels

JJD

Thanks for the kind words. I'm happy with the bikes overall especially the highlights on the black which you can't see too well in this photo. It's just the white on the front wings that could have been a little neater. To be honest I was hoping to finish at least the full command squad but life is just taking over. Edited by JJD

• 4 weeks later...

My plan is to pick up three more black knights to make a command squad and then add a chaplain on a bike.

Can anyone recommend good shoulder pads for a chaplain.

Here you go:

Sculpting on a curved surface at an angle is hard enough for even professional sculptors. I find details like this are easier to do on a flat piece of plasticard or blisterpack, and then I pop it off and glue it on when it's cured.

Even easier (because I'm frankly both a perfectionist and lazy; a terrible combination!) is using something else that already exists. There are a lot of shoulderpads with skulls on them, so I would usually look at modifying one of those in the first place if I can. Some examples:

Chaos Marines (I'd trim the arrows away carefully, or at least trim the arrow-points down)

Khorne Berserker (lots of pads with skulls, but they tend to be stretched into Khorne runes)

WHFB Chaos Marauders (nice pad, very bold, might need a little smoothing around the raised trim around the top)

Space Wolves (trim the fangs down and it's perfect IMO)

Some of the Space Marine Vets also have skull pads, but they are not as obvious or well-positioned IMO. Likewise, lots of Chaos TDA shoulderpads are great, but I think they might be too big.

If you want to add wings to the skull, you are rather spoilt for choices and so I won't list them all. Adding wings to the skull is a good idea though as it (1) hides any strimming you may have done, and (2) disguises the origin of the pad. Plus it looks cool, which is important too!

As for the brazier, I think what you've used looks fine. However, if you want something that give more impression of the bike's speed, there's a burning staff piece in the WHFB Empire kit here that would look fantastic (might even be worth mounting it on the bike at a suitable angle rather than on the Chaplain's backpack).

However, there is nothing wrong with what you've already sculpted - I think it does look good, and is certainly in keeping with the model. I'm only making some suggestions here for possible alternatives that might save you some effort next time! :smile.:

Since I wrote that, the Deathwatch Veterans kits dropped; you can find a suitable skull-themed pads for Novamarines and Silver Skulls that could work on there. ;)

The good Major has covered it will with his links.  Since I was using the arm with handle bar from the DV bike kit I trimmed down one of the old metal skull shoulder pads and used that.  It is what I had available.  I think the results were good. 

You can also convert some DV bikes into black knights too.  You get four front fairings (three plasma talons and one grenade launcher) and using the extra one makes for an easy conversion.  Make sure you post your progress pics!

• 3 weeks later...

A little progress at the moment is often followed by inactivity but this time I can't complain as I'm off sunning myself with the little girls (or future recruits as I've come to think of them). Hopefully I'll get a little painting done before I'm back to work.

Aw yeeeeees, more Chaplains

I'm already plotting t steal your lord of executions conversion but skull helmets are hard to come by

• 4 months later...

I'm back with some work in progress at last.

med_gallery_74577_9223_225128.jpeg

A second shot just to show off the sweet skull shoulder my buddy donated.

med_gallery_74577_9223_795929.jpeg

Bonus points for anyone who knows where the skull pad came from. It's clearly chaos from the trim and its metal.

Edited by JJD

Thanks Epher.

I'm really please with the robes. I wasn't sure if the colours would work and almost went bone white instead of green. I was worried with the skull helm skull shoulder and skull chest that bone white robes would be too much. I am really glad I went with green.

Also where has red glaze over white eyes for instant glow effect been all my life. I'm going to try it on my plasma coils too. Fingers crossed.

Edited by JJD

The biker chaplain is finish. I am really pleased with how he turned out. The color choices worked out well and I am much happier with the blacks and whites than previous attempts. I am a little annoyed that I didn't notice the bolter said weren't straight but I'm not going to risk changing them now they are glued in. Here he is in all his glory.

gallery_74577_9223_14052.jpeg

gallery_74577_9223_363556.jpeg

I was going to start some assault marines next but I'm loving the chaplains at the moment and picked up a chaplain in TDA from Warhammer world (I can't believe I live an hour and 10 minutes away and Inhave never been before).

The new guy is fine cast resin. I have never worked with resin before other than my land raiders doors so I am open to advice.

Edited by JJD