New Army Blog: Storm Brothers (Primaris Chappy WIP on p.33)

geektom

:ermm: 

are you sure your not jaghati khan.

KHAAAAAAAN!!!!

You're doing very good work with the plasticard! Especially on the second Rhino.

Thanks! I like the second one better, also. It's a learning process... I figure I will make each one with a unique door.

These look really good!

Must admit that when I saw the colours in your avatar, I thought: "white and yellow together? <shudder>", but seeing what you've done here has proven me quite wrong!

These are painted to a great standard (definitely what I think of when I say "tabletop standard", as they look like a great compromise between speed and high quality, and look both good in-hand and on-table), and look very striking and neat - just what a SM colour scheme should be.

I also really like some of the more unusual details too - for example, the tails on the bikes makes them look very equine! :P

My only real comment is on the rivets; they look a bit big/untidy. How are you making them? I have always found that using small-diameter plastic rod is best as you just slice rivets that are uniform-looking off them. If you want bolts more than rivets, you can use hex-rod with a smaller diameter round rod on top for a great effect. The trick with rivets is to keep them very small unless you want that "Orky" look.

Anyway, great work so far. :thumbsup:

thanks, Major! my local game stores was out of the rods so I tried rolling my own with GS, and I agree they came out pretty large. I have some of tbe rods now, so should be cleaner going forward.

hoping to get some actual painting done on the Rhinos this week, along with some scouts.

Quick update: in addition to the Rhinos, I am all working on 2 squad for the painting challenge.

10 scouts w/ sniper rifles:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n60/geektom/image_zps06531d22.jpg

Assault Termies- this will be the sergeant. I have never altered a Terminator before. A little scary, since there are no extra parts if I screwed it up- but I am pretty happy with how it came out. No biggie, just some changes to the stance and rotating one of the hands.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n60/geektom/image_zpsccc44754.jpg

Thanks!

Rhino numero dos:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n60/geektom/image_zpsbdd297a1.jpg

Oh, and I did decide to go with the yellow across the front-- looks great!

Are those removable trophy spikes!? I had thought about doing something in this vein with my Night Lords so I can switch out trophies depending on which of my friends armies I'm facing, you may have just motivated me to make this happen. Also nice work so far, I was a little leery of the scheme at first but you pull it off with style, keep up the good work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all- here is my "proof of life" for December. Still not completed, but a whole lot closer. A lot of the accessories on these scouts are dark gray, so they are actually farther along than the picture makes it look.

Added some camo affect to the sniper rifles as well- the camera on my phone doesn't show it very well, but I like the way it came out.

Once they are 100% done, I will post better pictures with a real camera.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n60/geektom/image_zpsa3561daf.jpg

Wow even though in all honesty I don't like the choice of colours...BUT that's nothing against such a crisp and clean paint job...BUT (again) from the beginning to the end of the thread the colour has grown on me....(only slightly) lol

Great painting fella.

Rob

Wow even though in all honesty I don't like the choice of colours...BUT that's nothing against such a crisp and clean paint job...BUT (again) from the beginning to the end of the thread the colour has grown on me....(only slightly) lol

Great painting fella.

Rob

Thanks, Rob! Hey listen, you can't please everyone, right? :-) I am just happy they are coming out the way I pictured them and that I am bringing some variety to the table (pun intended).

Was hoping to have more bikes done by now, but it turns out my LGS can no longer get the "3 pack"- apparently you can only get them directly from GW now?

Great painting fella.

Rob

Thanks, Rob! Hey listen, you can't please everyone, right? :-) I am just happy they are coming out the way I pictured them and that I am bringing some variety to the table (pun intended).

Was hoping to have more bikes done by now, but it turns out my LGS can no longer get the "3 pack"- apparently you can only get them directly from GW now?

That is true but its one reason I don't always comment on choice of colours cause over the web it seems to always come across as negative feed back if you get my meaning?

But I will ask how you got such a crisp yellow?

I am a slow, but patient painter- that helps with yellow! I also use a FLAT brush as much as possible.

This is the technique I have always used for yellow:

Gray primer (black is too dark, white is too light- both need too many coats to cover)

Undercoat #1: thinned coat of light tan ("XV-88")

Undercoat #2: thinned coat of mustard/golden yellow ("Averland Sunset")

50/50 wash/water sepia tone

2-3 thin coats of medium yellow ("Yriel Yellow"). Let each coat dry completely.

Sepia wash in cracks and crevices

Highlight with light yellow (I use 50/50 Yriel and Screaming Skull)

Edge highlight ivory ("Screaming Skull")

It ain't quick, I know!