New Army Blog: Storm Brothers (Primaris Chappy WIP on p.33)

geektom

I am personally not a stickler at all for the "Codex" coloration of units. I prefer a story/reason behind why they don't use the standard panoply, but it seems good enough to me that "they use super-dark purple instead because purple is already a color for their armor."

Great, that is what I was going for! Ironically, it was tougher to highlight and keep it subtle than it would have been to just keep it black and do gray edging.

Yep, that is a great looking Chaplain and bike.

The armour is a nice touch to tie him in with the rest of your army, and didn't the Chaplains of the Mortifactors have dark red armour? As long as he has a crozius and skull helm, that is a true holy man in my eyes.

Wow! Really looking great. I can't wait to see him 'finished' (I'm not sure what else you could possibly need to do besides base him) and get some different angles. Your army is really impressive and inspiring. Keep up the great work, man. 

Thanks, Jeff- I get a little OCD about the detailing, which is the hardest part for me, because often times what I want to do is outside of my skill level (and now that I am an old man, my eyes have been going), so I try something, mess it up, then have to do it over-- repeat, repeat, repeat...

I have a sign my daughter made for me that says "2 feet, not 2 inches" to remind me not everyone will pick up every model and look at it close up, lol.

Those "next level" painters do such amazing things- blending, airbrushing, free-hand... >sigh<

Wow! Really looking great. I can't wait to see him 'finished' (I'm not sure what else you could possibly need to do besides base him) and get some different angles. Your army is really impressive and inspiring. Keep up the great work, man. 

Thanks, Jeff- I get a little OCD about the detailing, which is the hardest part for me, because often times what I want to do is outside of my skill level (and now that I am an old man, my eyes have been going), so I try something, mess it up, then have to do it over-- repeat, repeat, repeat...

I have a sign my daughter made for me that says "2 feet, not 2 inches" to remind me not everyone will pick up every model and look at it close up, lol.

Those "next level" painters do such amazing things- blending, airbrushing, free-hand... >sigh<

Oh man, I'm right there with you. Your daughter's message is a really important one… Some day, maybe I'll be wet-blending, airbrush-blending, and weathering with the best of them. But, realistically, probably not. I'm fine with a good tabletop standard to be honest. I am also super details-oriented and I know exactly what you mean, but I've been doing this long enough to know my own levels and not to push too far. I am quite comfortable with my technique, and while I try to improve I also don't plan on taking home a Golden Demon trophy (not that it wouldn't be amazing…). I think your work is excellent, and far better than a typical tabletop force. I wouldn't sweat it too much, man. Your daughter is wise. These boards can be intimidating sometimes, especially because close-up pics make all the flaws seem so glaring. With the naked eye, in normal light, the models always look better. 

I worked in a movie theatre for 13 years. There's a reason most theaters are kept very, very dim. Sure, maybe part of it is because the customers' eyes adjust to the dark, but the other part is that they are some of the dirtiest buildings around. ;) 

I worked in a movie theatre for 13 years. There's a reason most theaters are kept very, very dim. Sure, maybe part of it is because the customers' eyes adjust to the dark, but the other part is that they are some of the dirtiest buildings around. :wink:

So, so true.

Deep Purple Chaplain is pretty sweet. Different but true to spirit, I think.

And "2 feet, not 2 inches" is definitely true.

Thanks, everyone! You are all so encouraging!

Next up is a 5 man Assault Termie squad-- I am not quite sure what to do to customize them, so I may leave them "as is" except for the paint scheme and some lighting work on the fists of their power claws.

I am sticking with the codex on their white helmets, too-- it will be interesting to see if the white shows well against the light gray (that everyone thinks is white). I am travelling for work all next week, so no updates until the 20th.

Thank you for all the support-- don't feel like you just have to say nice things-- I am here to learn as well.

Cheers!

That turned out pretty much flawless! I love it! Little touches like the skull fingers and the servo skull just make this a real treat. The lightning and purple bring him right in with the rest of your army. And I see you actually DID weather the tires. I think it's just right, and a great balance between subtle yet noticeable. It's the right kind of weathering for your force, and will bridge the gap nicely if you want some on your vehicles.

Agree with the above statement.

Love the purple/black, very well done - but then so are the bone fingers (lovely touch that, soon to be seen on a Night hunter near you!).

Great weathering, only thing that lets it down the tiniest wee little bit is the white tabard and blending there upon. Can't put my finger on why though, the yellow on the other hand is perfect.

Can't wait for more!

FTE

Agree with the above statement.

Love the purple/black, very well done - but then so are the bone fingers (lovely touch that, soon to be seen on a Night hunter near you!).

Great weathering, only thing that lets it down the tiniest wee little bit is the white tabard and blending there upon. Can't put my finger on why though, the yellow on the other hand is perfect.

Can't wait for more!

FTE

NH, thanks for the comments. The "white" that I use is actually light gray, but I can't seem to capture it in the pictures- maybe it looks wrong because the shading is too warm/brown to be used when you see it as white? Also, my sculpting of the tabard around the waist and the sash was not as smooth as it could have been- because of that, I think the extra "texture" makes the highlighting look less accomplished. I know it didn't feel great when I was painting it, anyway.

Next up are some assault termies that will actually have white heads- I hope they look distinct enough from the gray armor, or I may have to choose a different color for 1st Brotherhood / Veterans.

You know it could well be the texture brother! I know I have had many an issue with just that!

Yeah, I think I am just not aggressive enough with sanding/filing it once it totally hardens.

Soooooo.... Here on my work trip I found a box of devastators for $8 less than I normally see them. It was only afte I started to put them together that I realized it was "older" box (2012).

Boy, the quality kinda sucks.

Parts don't match up, the flash lines are terrible, details are not crisp- I wonder if it is even worth putting them together.

Were all the last generation this bad, or did I just get a bad box?

Edited by geektom