Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread 2024: Suddenly, Death Guard...

This is beautiful. *wipes tear from eye*

Kneepads help differentiate him even more from the stock 'Thirster, so I say keep them.

The aquila would be a perfect base! The eagle's wings even kind of mirror Angron's demonic wings, which is a nice touch.

Yup, that will totally work - although mind you the aquila does have a weird form, so I would go for something like what Bio suggested - the base-within-a-base, by cutting out the section Biohazard highlighted. You can always strengthen the material with some putty. Not Greenstuff, but the yellow stuff. Crap, I went to bed WAY too late and now my head is a sieve. MIlliput! THat's the stuff I was looking for.

BTW I totally understand your not entering Angron into the ETL. I just see him as proof that the ETL can inspire even the less competitive minded among us (at least that's a reason you gave us two years ago for not entering) to far greater heigths. Angron certainly seems to show your flowing hobby juices! ;)

Guys, seriously, once again your help has been invaluable. I mean, I had already considered the option of building a Horus Heresy character series style base, even going so far as to trace the outline of the base on the aquila, but I ultimately dismissed the notion as unfeasible.

But then Biohazard's comment provided just the nudge I needed (cheers, buddy!), even if it took a while to settle. Because my first thought was: "Nah, that would be sooo much work!". But then I tried to get my head wrapped around it, and I started actually doing it, and it will be a lot of extra work, but it's also going to look awesome. I hope.

So here's where I am right now, having used my trusty, cheap-o carpet knife from the DIY superstore to carefully saw through that aquila -- at the cost of several small blisters, I might add -- the things we do for true art, eh? ;)

angrons-base-wip-1.jpg

angrons-base-wip-2.jpg

Of course I had to select a slice of the aquila that would make sense if seen on its own, and due to the size of the piece, it was either a full wing or the double head, so I chose to have one complete wing and one head, which I think works pretty well. Here's the base with the pieces taken apart a bit:

angrons-base-wip-3.jpg

angrons-base-wip-4.jpg

If I manage to position the smaller piece on the base exactly like this, both pieces can basically slot together seamlessly (there might be a very small gap between both parts, but I can live with that, especially since the aquila is already looking pretty broken up as is). But what is even better is that I'll end up with a piece that also looks suitably dramatic on its own:

angrons-base-wip-5.jpg

angrons-base-wip-6.jpg

However, as you guys have already pointed out, this is the moment where the Miliput has to come out, as I will need quite a bit of the stuff to sculpt a new "cliff-face" style of outer wall for the hollow part of the base that shows up rather hideously at the moment:

angrons-base-wip-7.jpg

The truly complicated part will be to make sure the new additions don't mess up the way the two pieces of the aquila fit together, though -- oh boy...

But I think it can be done, and - more importantly - it can be made to look amazing! As for Angron's position on the base, I think he'll be positioned on the tip of the wing, facing towards the centre of the aquila, as everything else would just kind of defeat the whole exercise. I've made a shoddy Photoshop mockup:

angrons-base-wip-8.jpg

This also means that the smaller base only really has room for the lower half of that unfortunate Ultramarine -- however, I am free to add one or two additional Astartes on the big aquila piece, showing their last stand against Angron.

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Well first you gotta make like a dentist, and fill up that cavity in the base.

Second...stop talking and get on with it! I'm pretty sure that you'll get the best results for this, I mean...look what you've accomplished already!

Third...skulls...needs some skulls

Ha! Great work there, Kraut. Your cut's position is even better than the one I and Bio had in mind, I think.

Might I suggest two things?

• As far as the position of Angry on the base, I agree with it, but I think he'd benefit if he faces along the line of the rest of the Aquilla. This will make him more balanced on his own right/base, plus it allows for the possibility of making this entire ensemble into a diorama/fight scene, where he charges some more Ultramarines, who foolishly defy his Khornate might! So I mean not facing along the red arrow (as is the case now) but along the green arrow. Does that clear things up? 
  • The Aquilla itself is very smooth. I own one too, and I have always found the surface of it to be not quite stone/marble like - even though marble can be super smooth. It just didn't feel right. What I did to mine was paint the entire Aquila with thinned down Liquid Green Stuff after priming (for added surface strength), then primed it again before paint. Maybe this is something for you too?
  • EDIT: Oh, and skulls. Definitely skulls.
Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Atta boy! :tu:!! For the cliff face id pack some milliput inside for the purposes of pinning as said before but Id be tempted to build up the actual cliff with some broken cork. Would give it a bit more texture I think.

I'd also echo both Augustus's suggestions re the facing and the liquid gs. This is going to look epic once completed. Means I'm really going to have to step my game up as well once I get settled and can work on stuff again. Especially on Angrons base as I was originally going to use the round 80mm base that Skarbrand comes on.

As a not so interesting note my phone autocorrected Milliput to Lilliputians? My fear of small people is beginning to surface again......:D

Atta boy! :tu:!! For the cliff face id pack some milliput inside for the purposes of pinning as said before but Id be tempted to build up the actual cliff with some broken cork. Would give it a bit more texture I think.

I'd also echo both Augustus's suggestions re the facing and the liquid gs. This is going to look epic once completed. Means I'm really going to have to step my game up as well once I get settled and can work on stuff again. Especially on Angrons base as I was originally going to use the round 80mm base that Skarbrand comes on.

As a not so interesting note my phone autocorrected Milliput to Lilliputians? My fear of small people is beginning to surface again......:D

I was wondering when you would appear hahah...steady now Gulliver....

But yeah on reflection, if he faces the length of the aquilla, then it means nor fun stuff to add....

We need someone running in terror maybe...and again, skulls.

I really like the direction this is going... its award worthy, and may be the best/most creative thing I have seen in the hobby in many years. 

Anyway

My random thought, on the extended base I think you should finish the diorama and have some more Ultra Marines fighting with other Daemons (Flesh hounds would be cool).. 

I really like the direction this is going... its award worthy, and may be the best/most creative thing I have seen in the hobby in many years.

Anyway

My random thought, on the extended base I think you should finish the diorama and have some more Ultra Marines fighting with other Daemons (Flesh hounds would be cool)..

A pouncing flesh-beastie taking out an ultrasmurf at neck height would be an awesome addition.....

But must be careful that it's not too busy...don't want to clutter up the whole, and detract from the awesome

Thanks a lot for the additional ideas and enthusiastic reactions, guys! :)

Regarding the way Angron's facing, I totally agree with you, but, erm, you do realise that mockup picture uses pre-existing photos of the model, right? So I just chose the one picture that showed him facing roughly the right way, but there was no way to fine-tune it of course. So it should go without saying that the early mockup does not show the exact orientation of the model.

Good point about the Liquid GS, though -- I'll definitely be giving that a try!

As for additional elements or models on the base, it's a cool idea, but don't go expecting too much: I still want Angron to be the clear star of the show here, and he alone is more than a match for some Ultramarines. Maybe a Blodletter or two. But certainly no Flesh Hounds, because I am not buying those hideous Finecast hounds.

I'd go with less is more. The remains of the ultra you have already and possibly another one face down, further across the scenic base, possibly with a slight blood smear like he's been thrown away from Angron in disgust of his lack of skill in combat.

I think although the idea of adding extra daemons or standing astartes sounds great it could clutter the base really quickly and draw attention away from Big Red.

EDIT, or looking again, instead of a blood smear from a face down model you could have a trickle running down one of the cracks on the wing. Could be really symbolic of the 'Only in death does duty end' nonsense the loyalists keep rattling on about.

Edited by Biohazard

I'd go with less is more. The remains of the ultra you have already and possibly another one face down, further across the scenic base, possibly with a slight blood smear like he's been thrown away from Angron in disgust of his lack of skill in combat.

I think although the idea of adding extra daemons or standing astartes sounds great it could clutter the base really quickly and draw attention away from Big Red.

EDIT, or looking again, instead of a blood smear from a face down model you could have a trickle running down one of the cracks on the wing. Could be really symbolic of the 'Only in death does duty end' nonsense the loyalists keep rattling on about.

Ah when your dead, you're dead...and even then, you're a play thing for whatever beastie wants to torture you some more...

How about a helmet sitting with its eyes dark, blood running out from under it? You know.. fresh skulls et all?

Would be funny to have a guardsman kneeling, holding his face blood running out his eyes....

Less is more is what destroyed the chaos codex :lol:

I will definitely add some stuff, the eagle is big and I think a couple of smurfs facing/running in fear wouldn't hurt but add a little dramatism without stealing Angron's (impossible indeed) protagonism. Or maybe one hidding/kneeling between the aquila wing and claw?

Well, I've been waiting to see how your Angron would turn out and I'm in awe. It is absolutely stunning dude (If daemons can ever be called stunning?). I now have to look forward to what you do with the base, but I think Bio hit the nail on the head with the less is more advice.

Nemac

Thanks, guys!

I think it's really a tough balance to get right: The aquila is big, true enough, but Biohazard is definitely right: It's so easy to overclutter it all and basically make it look to busy when it's still mostly about the Daemon Primarch.

A second, fallen Ultramarine is basically a given at this point: I think I'll be using one of the fallen (or should that be falling?!) Marines from the display base that comes with Forgeworld's rendition of Angron, because I think that should make for a rather nice shout out to the "official" model (and because my FW Angron will be getting a different base anyway, seeing how he's missing that central gaming base, so I'll have to come up with something original for his as well.

So that makes two fallen Ultras, and maybe there'll be a third, but we'll see. I definitely won't be mixing Astartes and guardsmen, though, mostly because that would once again give the piece a definite date stamp (because a Cadian would be 40k Imperial Guard and a Solar Auxilia or something similar would be 30k Imperial Army).

And yeah, possibly some additional skulls, but I won't be covering the base in them, because that usually just ends up looking silly, and I also kinda hate painting skulls -- shocking, I know ;)

Careful, buddy. The last 109 pages of this thread should tell you what kind of follower of Khorne I am.

I like skulls as much as the next guy, I just don't particularly enjoy painting them, is all.

*Looks back*....

Ah you're the gentleman's skull taker...only the best n all that..*monocle*

Man it always seems to be such a hard time trying to find any moment to really tap at the keyboard lately. Work has kept me occupied and I've had little time to do anything more than just lurk in observation at this project. This has really been a rather spectacular piece you've put together, man and my hat's off to you. His face looks absolutely perfect and everything I'd imagine for old Angron to look like. The painting you've done with him too is absolutely stellar and it's a hell of a job you've done. 

Though it may be a bit late, I felt I needed to make a few of my own notes that may or may not have been mentioned by others before but I haven't noticed. 

1. I feel that the red organic cords protruding from his head seem a bit at odds with the art and I think having them the same color as the rest of his body make them stand out a bit less than they should. I think you should paint them a very dark brown, like his hair in the art. I feel that would help make it stand out a bit more.

2. I find it a bit odd that the Dead Ultra has been bisected and yet  his groin plate and the two little decorations are still in tact. That's probably the biggest thing that confuses me and I feel like it should probably be removed/damaged to feel a bit more realistic.

Just my two cents.

If you go full diorama (which I think you should), I would just mount maybe two, three max, Ultras on the 'scenic' part of the base, bolters aimed at the big guy, heroic last stand just before they end up like the dude in his hand. As for that guys lower half, got to be on Angrons actual base.

This is going to be so, so, sooooooo cool when done :cool.: