Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread 2024: Suddenly, Death Guard...

Autocannon guy looks good, :tu: I have to say the new version of the chaplain works a lot better for me, he looked a little too squat with the previous legs.

I've avoided the Prospero box but I have picked up a couple of the Calth boxes so have plenty of mkIV to be working on next year ;)

30k-world-eaters-heavy-early-wip-2.jpg

This reminds me of something, still I can't recollect of what in particular... maybe just a twist in my mind.

So, did you actually like the new plastic Khârn or not, Kraut? I myself haven't decided yet if I would buy it if I see it or not, so maybe you could deliver a bit of more detailed opinion on the model?

Cheers, guys! :)

@ DarkVen: Mate, if it's detailed you want, I actually wrote a detailed review on the new Khârn that can be found here.

The TL;DR version would be that, yes, all things considered, I think it's a successful redesign of the original model (even though the previous version remains a classic). Apart from some very minor nitpicks, my sole beef with the new version are those terribly overdone chains dangling from Khârn's bare arm -- and it's the one part I have tried to change.

@ dogfender: True progress on that latest Angron model can only really happen once I've managed to source another champion head from the Sicarian Infiltrators (for Angron's Butcher's Nails implants). The chains on Chaplain Krieger came from the WFB Chaos Lord on Manticore (although similar chains also appear in the Skullcrusher kit). I much prefer the look of those chains to the terribly clunky ones that have become a staple of GW's recent Khornate kits...

@ Mister Feral: Cheers, mate! ;)

@ The Psycho: That's an Iron Warriors conversion kit, picked up mostly because I wanted to get my hands on one particular helmet design from that set, but the extra IW bitz will come in handy, should I ever decide to add to my killteam...

@ Auggs: Agreed on the Mk. III, mate! Finally having that mark available in plastic is just fantastic, isn't it? Even the plastic Mk. IV Marines seem less exciting now ;)

G(l)ory be; looking great! The autocannon's inspired; the ork part really fits the brutal feel of 30 World Eaters. Glad to see you slipping further into the Age of Darkness – it's an inspiring period to work within, and I suspect your work will be exemplary.

So, no pressure :D

Edited by Apologist

Thanks a lot, guys! :)

@ Apologist: Haha, no pressure indeed ;) Still, coming from you, that is high praise!

So I messed around with those Prospero plastics a bit more, trying to give my autocannon Marine a bit more gladiatorial oomph. The temptation is rather big with these models to just go completely chaotic on them, adding spikes and trophies to every surface, but I am trying to deliberately keep them away from full-on 40k baroqueness, in order to show that the worship of chaos is only just beginning to creep in here and there, but the 30k World Eaters are still different from their 40k incarnation. With that in mind, I just made some small tweaks to the model:

30k-world-eaters-autogunner-wip-1.jpg

30k-world-eaters-autogunner-wip-2.jpg

I think the Anvilus backpack has a nice way of making the model look even more archaic, plus it also provides an element of improvisation to the armour, which I think is a great fit for World Eaters: Given their style of warfare, I think the legion should really be rife with mix'n'match armour that has been patched together from everything that could be scavenged off the battlefield.

Here's my first tactical veteran squad, slowly taking shape:

tactical-veteran-squad-bardolf-wip.jpg

The leftover Mk III backpack was used on this guy here:

30k-world-eaters-secutor-wip-1.jpg

A World Eaters praetor, based on an Ivanus Enkomi body Augustus b'Raass send me a while ago. I realise I must have shown the model to you several times, but now I am finally happy with the setup: The new backpack provides precisely the dash of Heresy-era tech the model was still missing ;)

30k-world-eaters-secutor-wip-2.jpg

This guy will be one of Lorimar's Secutorii, a cadre of officers serving as a link between the Captain and the individual squad leaders:

world-eaters-4th-assault-company-secutor

And finally, just because I can, here's another picture of Chaplain Krieger ;)

30k-world-eaters-chaplain-karrim-krieger

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Well I don't actually know what to say, Kraut, all your models look amazing and I really mean it. Little additions to the autocannon guy, your detailed work on you characters - everything looks over the top, mein freund.

Krieger and the young Bardolf are my favourites though. Especially Bardolf (nicht nur darum, dass... du weisst warum:laugh.:) - he got a very menacing yet cold-blooded overall look not every Night Lord can afford these days. Oh, and Krieger - just a great conversion, it couldn't be said more than that (also very nice name really).

Glad to see Enkomi finally taking shape. This is precisely why I sent this model to you - because I knew you'd do it justice.

For a change I disagree with Teets: the dangling thingy from the autocannon looks spot o to me. :tu:

I'm also a bot intoxicated, so don't take my word as to be divine prophecy. :0.

As ever Kraut, all your conversions are spot on :tu: hard too pick a fave, love the Enkomi conversion but going to go for Kreiger, he is just so 'right'.

Also, that autocannon conversion, totally going to copy that idea for my Havocs. I do like the little additions btw :)

Thanks a lot for the very enthusiastic feedback, guys! I really appreciate it! :smile.:

@ Teetengee: You mean the Praetor's left arm, presumably? That's not a Wrathmonger arm, but rather an arm from the Chaos Chariot (the arm normally holding the reigns, as it happens). I really liked the gladiatorial look it provides and just shaved it down a bit where needed. The chains on both the chaplain and Khârn are from the WFB Chaos Lord on Manticore. That little thing dangling from the autocannon barrel was a deliberate addition, though, so it's here to stay -- sorry :wink: I did tweak the angle a bit, though, to make it look slightly less conspicuous.

@ DarkVen: Cheers, mate! Very much looking forward to "Du weisst schon, was", plus it provided the perfect occasion to take another look at Bardolf and build a 30k version of the character :wink: As for Krieger's name, that was helpfully provided by Andvarr A, IIRC, so I cannot claim any credit.

@ Auggs: Haha, I feel slightly guilty for still futzing around with the model and not having completed the conversion yet, but I do think I have the perfect look for the guy now.

@ TURBULENCE: I actually blame kizzdougs, master of building Heresy era Astartes, because he suggested it was perfectly okay to go with one of the CSM backpacks on 30k Marines every once in a while, and I think the piece really fits the heavyset look of the guy with the autocannon.

@ Midnight Runner: Cheers, buddy! I'm really happy with Krieger myself!

So, a small addendum to yesterday's update: When I posted my WIP for Khoron, people suggested I do something to make him look somewhat less squat. At the same time, Vairocanum came up with the brilliant idea of having him rest one foot on a fallen enemy, just like his 40k Dreadnought version. And as it turns out, the latter really provided the perfect solution to the former problem: The new Ahriman model comes with a perfect little bit of a fallen SW Astartes in Mk. III armour, so I made a quick GS copy of that and mocked up a tweaked pose for Khoron:

secutor-khoron-wip-1.jpg

secutor-khoron-wip-2.jpg

I think the pose works really well now -- it somehow adds to the impression that he is a grizzled veteran and has really seen it all. Combined with the somewhat amused look on his face, I really feel reminded of Col. Kilgore from Apocalypse Now, which seems like a pretty good fit for the character :wink:

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

He looks nice. My only probable thought would be, if he would raise his hand above his head - wouldn't it turn the pose a bit more "attacking", so to speak? But that's just a thought as an option, he already looks good.

Cheers, mate! Yeah, it would look more aggressive, but that's quite the opposite of what I want for him: I see him as this calm individual at the heart of the utter chaos that is battle, like the eye of the storm, so to speak. I also don't want to perfectly replicate the pose of his later incarnation as a Dreadnought, so there's that too.

Thanks, mate! :smile.:

Cinstructing more 30k World Eaters continues at a snail's pace -- I wouldn't have it any other way, though, as I intend to make each model count with this project (which makes it unlikely that it'll ever grow into an actual army). Anyway, some more experimentation with the beautiful Prospero Mk. III parts resulted in this gentleman:

30k-world-eaters-in-mk-iii-armour-wip-1.

30k-world-eaters-in-mk-iii-armour-wip-2.

The one serious shortcoming of the models is that we have to make due without dedicated CC weapon arms once again (the few that come with the squad's sergeant notwithstanding), so I texperimented with getting around that limitation. My impression is that the Mk. III Marines are both harder and easier to turn into models armed with CC weapons than their Mk. IV brethren. Harder because it's not as easy to just swap in alternate plastic arms -- due to the bulk of the armour, you'll lose the iconic Mk. III look. On the other hand, the segmented armour plates make it quite a bit easier to carefully cut the arms apart and repose them (like I did with a pair of bolter arms on the guy above).

So here's the entire "Mk. III posse" so far:

30k-world-eaters-in-mk-iii-armour-wip-3.

And here's yet another picture of squad Bardolf taking shape, one model at a time :wink:

tactical-veteran-squad-bardolf-wip-2.jpg

Edited by KrautScientist

Thanks a lot, guys! :smile.:

I just couldn't keep my hands of the Prospero box yesterday, so I built even more models:

First up, yet another member for squad Bardolf, this time wearing far more hybridised armour:

30k-world-eaters-in-mk-iii-armour-wip-4.

30k-world-eaters-in-mk-iii-armour-wip-5.

I realise that many World Eaters players feel that those old berzerker arms are the bane of our existence, but the clunky look just really suited the whole Heresy-era World Eaters look and feel for me. It's not an effect I'll be using on every other model, but I do think this guy really reads as a World Eater.

The other stuff I did doesn't really factor into my World Eaters at all, but I just couldn't stay away from those Sisters of Silence: Some of you may know that I kitbashed a whole squad of those girls, back when there were no models available. And I wanted to experiment a bit with the new, "official" models vis-à-vis my own attempts from a couple of years ago:

sisters-of-silence-wip-5.jpg

On the right is one of the new GW Sisters of Silence. On the left is the squad leader for my kitbashed Sisters (I am still really happy with her, so she'll stay that way). Now the model in the middle is another one of my kitbashed Sisters, but this time, I used some leftover parts from the new kit (a shoulder pad and a head, to be precise), to create a sort of "missing link" between the two designs, and I rather like the result:

sisters-of-silence-wip-1.jpg

sisters-of-silence-wip-2.jpg

sisters-of-silence-wip-3.jpg

Edited by KrautScientist