Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread 2024: Suddenly, Death Guard...

Hey guys,

I've added two leather straps to either side of Angron's chest, in order to add an element resembling the straps appearing in Wayne England's piece of artwork:

angron-by-wayne-england.jpg

we_angron-wip-19.jpg

we_angron-wip-18.jpg

Here's the older version without the straps:

we_angron-wip-15.jpg

What do you say? Yay or nay? ;)

Eh, I am not so sure on those straps, they seem comically large.

The cape covers the sword bit, but otherwise is nice looking, and helps reduce the armoured kangeroo look that front plate gives him (in my opinion), even if it doesn't completely eliminate.

Any way you finish this guy I think will look fine, but he is definitely my least favorite of your angrons (high bar) so far.

Take that how you will.

Never stop, Kraut, never stop. Your Angron Number 3 (I think?) looks splendid. The only thing I can add to the discussion, is that I would like those straps much more, if they weren't so big. A tad smaller and they'd be perfect. But that aside, I think they are a good idea, because they cover that empty space between chest and arms very well and they hide the only flaw as I see it, which is the size of his torso. Seeing this iteration of Angron next to the other two versions, he kinda doesn't look barrel-chested enough, but then again I like 'em sturdy. :wink:

Straps!!! I'd contemplated posting that the pads looked to big to me and then felt they added a dimension of propriety to the mid crusades time frame that just worked for me.

The the cape was like BOOM and the straps I dig for the simple beast mode appeal where Angy is waiting to strap somebody to his chest for some up close and personal attention;)

Cheers for the many comments, people! I think that, by and large, we can call this a resounding vote for the straps, eh? ;)

Eh, I am not so sure on those straps, they seem comically large.

The cape covers the sword bit, but otherwise is nice looking, and helps reduce the armoured kangeroo look that front plate gives him (in my opinion), even if it doesn't completely eliminate.

Any way you finish this guy I think will look fine, but he is definitely my least favorite of your angrons (high bar) so far.

Take that how you will.

Hmm -- could you elaborate on the "armoured Kangaroo" remark? I'm not seeing it, personally, but I would like to understand where you are coming from on the matter.

As for the size of the straps, yeah: they are pretty big. Would you believe I already seriously shaved them down? I will say that I think a certain brutality and clunkiness really suits the character, though, plus some of those straps also appear on different models from my (small) 30k collection, which makes for an extra bit of visual continuity -- plus I am fairly confdent that I'll be able to sell the look with the right paintjob!

Are all those heads from the actual FW model

Incidentally, only the model on the right actually uses the FW model's head because it...erm actually is the FW model. The two plastic versions are using the same head from an Age of Sigmar Slaughterpriest of Khorne (quite possibly one of the best heads ever released by GW).

Never stop, Kraut, never stop. Your Angron Number 3 (I think?) looks splendid. The only thing I can add to the discussion, is that I would like those straps much more, if they weren't so big. A tad smaller and they'd be perfect. But that aside, I think they are a good idea, because they cover that empty space between chest and arms very well and they hide the only flaw as I see it, which is the size of his torso. Seeing this iteration of Angron next to the other two versions, he kinda doesn't look barrel-chested enough, but then again I like 'em sturdy. :wink:

Yes, he is a bit too narrow in the chest, same as the unarmoured version -- damn the lanky Slaughterpriest and Custodes models, eh? ;) That being said, I am mainly going for an overall feeling here, instead of trying to perfectly approximate Forgeworld Angron's proportions, so I think the model works well enough.

The armour sticks out far enough that it appears to me much like a marsupial's pouch. Hence the kangeroo comment. Maybe more shaving could cut that down? Or maybe if the piece was lower? It seems like a strange size/position while over the gut but attached to the waist and groin.
I bet you can make the straps work though, they just do seem a little big at the moment.

Looking good Kraut. Your work on your Angrons (Angron? Angrii? I'm not too sure on the plural form of Angron) has inspired me to take another look at the freebie Slaughterpriest I got, with an intent on 40k-ing it. (Perhaps that should be 30k-ing it :ph34r.:)

Keep up the good work.

Dallo 

Cheers for the feedback, guys! :)

@ Teetengee: Thanks for elaborating! That makes it clearer. I will say that the belly plate is a bit of an acquired taste and that it will hopefully end up looking good, once everything has been painted up. As for the odd placement, I did try to mimic the placement of that slightly weird aquila emblem/belt buckle Angron has in the artwork.

@ crimsonhand: Cheers, man! That is very nice of you to say! :)

Looking good Kraut. Your work on your Angrons (Angron? Angrii? I'm not too sure on the plural form of Angron)

As it happens, that same question came up over at my blog -- my first instinct was that "A murder of Angrons" seems fitting. After giving it a bit of thought, however, I'd say the official plural is "a massacre of Angrons" ;)

So here's a small update for today: I've wanted to build a vexillarius for my first squad of 30k World Eaters for a while now, but the backpack-mounted vexilla design didn't do much for me. Then I happened upon Augustus b'Raass excellent assault squad Vexillarius here, and fell in love: I really like the way the standard recalls influences from ancient Roman Legions, which certainly seems fitting for the Legiones Astartes. At the same time, there is also something slightly totemic about the design, which fits the increasingly brutal nature of the World Eaters. So I took influences from this piece to build my vexillarius, trying to put my own spin on things. Here he is, mostly built:

30k-world-eaters-vexillarius-wip-1.jpg

30k-world-eaters-vexillarius-wip-2.jpg

30k-world-eaters-vexillarius-wip-3.jpg

30k-world-eaters-vexillarius-wip-4.jpg

Unlike Augustus, I was actually too cheap to use the Custodian banner pole, so I improvised my own version with the bits I had. I want to add some smaller trinkets (a skull, some chain links, stuff like that), dangling from the shield. The shield itself will end up bearing a heraldic device (a lefion badge, for instance). That way I'll be able to use the same basic design for each vexilla, should I end up building more squads, while also having a chance of customising each one into an individual totem, if you will. This is a great fit for the kind of look I am after for my World Eaters: One that is not nearly as uniform as your standard Heresy era legion army, with warplate cobbled together from different marks and trophies that show the World Eaters' beginning descent. At the same time, however, the more regimented, uniform roots are still visible.

Another thing I really wanted to incorporate was a head with a skull cap, something I've seen on Duncan Rhodes' Sons of Horus in WD a couple of years ago, as well as in Apologist's Iron Warriors: I think it works really well with Mk. 3 armour, making it look like the armour is so ancient that you actually have to wear the cap as some kind of separate conduit layer underneat the helmet. Please ignore the Inquisitorial =][= on the model's forehead, btw -- it still needs to be filled in with GS.

So here's the model with a couple of its squad mates:

30k-world-eaters-and-vexillarius-wip.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :)

This might be my favourite update in weeks in this thread. And no, not because of your shout out to my vexillarius (although that is of course much appreciated :yes:), but because of the plethora of conversions: 

To begin, that vexillarius looks great. I love that you used that head, something I've always shun away from because of the symbol - for some weird reason I've never thought of filling the ][, doh! I really like the added groin plate hanging from below the MkIII plate. I wonder though, about two things: one is: what are you going to do about the sawn off roll-scrolls on the back of the vexilla top? And two: why didn't you use the standard CSM banner pole? It's much thinner than this current one, plus you avoid using the open bolter hand, which always feels a bit wonky to me, when used for anything other than a bolter. Also, may I suggest milling in an indent in the lower shield, to hold the pole in? 

Second, the other marines you have planned got me all giddy! Especially that skull helmet with the mohawk style crest - love it! And the guy on the left, with that CSM champion's torso, the chainmail loin cloth, WE MkII helmet, and his chainaxe and bolter combo, plus his stance. Thoroughly intimidating. Well done! MkIII plate is incredibly well-suited to convey that brutal vibe of the World Eaters, don't you think? :) 

Cheers, guys! :)

@ Auggs: Really glad to hear you like him, buddy, seeing how your model was a prime inspiration for this guy!

As for your questions: I don't think the remaining parts of the scrolls on the back of the original vexilla piece will be too much of a problem, once everything has been painted, to be honest. But I might give the area a closer look. A groove has been filed into the shield, and it makes the whole assembly a bit tighter -- in fact I've already added the planned skulls dangling from the shield. As for the banner pole I chose (from the WFB Ogre Bulls, if you can believe it): It's really not that much thicker than the standard Space Marine banner pole, and I really needed a left-handed version because I wanted a straight Mk. III arm, and only a left-handed one was available. And that's not a bolter hand, but a biker hand (with a slightly more natural look). This also had the added benefit of allowing me to use that wonderfully clunky 'zerker axe on the right arm, so yeah...