Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread 2024: Suddenly, Death Guard...

Thanks a lot, gents! Glad to hear you're all so enthusiastic about the claw :wink:

@ Krakendoomcool: The Blood Slaughterer Impaler was, of course, the obvious inspiration here -- a bit ironic, really, considering the fact that my Armiger also uses a head from the very same kit :wink:

@ TURBULENCE: Hm, I am actually fairly happy with the design -- the objective here was to make it resemble the Ursus Claw on my Contemptor, so they at least seem to be variations of the same weapons system:

hunter-contemptor-3.jpg

I realise a more ornate, spiky tip would probably have made for a more Khornate look, but I kinda wanted to retain a certain sense of internal consistence across my collection. Well, that and I also like the idea that the weapon itself is so blunt and brutal that it's mostly designed for efficiency, and less for show :wink:

@ Auggs: Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with for your own Armiger, buddy! Will he become a member of your Death Guard or of your World Eaters? Or something different altogether?

Anyway, I came home super late yesterday, but I couldn't help myself and just had to finish my build for the Ursus Claw before it was off to bed. Here it is:

armiger-ursus-claw-wip-4.jpg

armiger-ursus-claw-wip-6.jpg

armiger-ursus-claw-wip-7.jpg

As you can see, I have added the drum with the chain, then attached the chain to the rear of the harpoon, in order to hind at the weapon's undwinding mechanism. As has been the case with my Contemptor, I obsessed over where to add the mechanism, then ultimately decided to use this approach (and diverge from the way a similar mechanism is included on the Blood Slaughterer Impaler): While an underslung mechanism might have been slightly more pleasing from a visual standpoint, it just seemed more sensible like this :wink: Anyway, here's a closer look at the chain and mechanism:

armiger-ursus-claw-wip-8.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

@ Auggs: Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with for your own Armiger, buddy! Will he become a member of your Death Guard or of your World Eaters? Or something different altogether?

Pfffff what do you think? How can I not try to emulate this perfect Ursus claw idea (the inception of the idea to put one on a Armiger I kinda take credit for)? You a god amongst men World Eater players, that's what you are!

Cheers, guys! :)

The best thing is that, after spending quite some time planning the conversion out in my head, actually assembling the harpoon turned out to be almost trivially easy -- I might wip up a small tutorial for you guys. The whole thing only really takes about four or five bitz (the unwinding mechanism notwithstanding).

[...]after spending quite some time planning the conversion out in my head[...]

You mean after I gave you the idea, right :p 

Just teasing. Tutorial: YES PLEASE! :) Although I wouldn't mind if you incorporated the unwinding mechanism in the tut. <3

• 2 weeks later...

So, now new Armiger update (yet), unfortunately. I do have something new to share, however, as I am currently working on a mini-diorama for a local competition. The theme for the competition is "duel", and entries will have to feature two opponents on a fully modeled base. I thought this would be the perfect occasion to re-visit my 30k World Eaters at long last, so I got to work.

Here's a sneak-peek for you all. My mini-diorama will be featuring this guy here:

armatura-duel-wip-3.jpg

And this delightful gentleman:

armatura-duel-wip-6.jpg

armatura-duel-wip-4.jpg

armatura-duel-wip-5.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Went into my local GW for the first time in about three months and heard about this painting comp today too.

You’ve got two great poses going on to tell the story. A ‘bring it on’ pose with the Ultramarine and a ‘menacing intent’ pose with the World Eater. That axe is great.The pose works great advancing on the ground but will he be flying in/landing? The Ultramarine seems to be looking up which makes me think you might go for that dynamic.

Looking great. I don’t fancy the other contestants chances.

Edited by Krakendoomcool

The new World Eater looks brutal, the choice of parts has worked really well to create a hulking warrior full of menace. As it stands, the Ultramarine looks a little off kilter, though if his opponent is to be crashing down through the air towards him, that's probably justified.

My guess is that the Ultramarine is very busy dying, hence the very loose arrangements of his joints; he's not holding himself naturally anymore because grwvity has got a grip...Love the World Eater. Lord Zhufor's axe is a great choice, as is his head.

That Ultramarine looks like he is in for a bad time.

His rival looks great and mixing the blood warrior armor with mk3 looks awesome. Does it match up well? Lot of work to pair them up?

Well, i know my money's on delightful gentleman:)

MKII (?) legs works beautifully with those AoS bits, looks great. And the helmet is super cool on raptor, reminds me of that sweet word bearer army, can't remember the name of the guy though...

Looks like it will be a striking diorama. I would be turn as I do collect both Khorne and the Ultramarines but I must say that Khornate Warrior looks especially imposing. As has been said the pose is excellent and the conversation adds substantial bulk to him that makes him look all the tougher. I'll agree with Krakendoomcool that it looks as if the Khorne fellow has the high ground in this instance. You keep showing how the AoS pieces can be used to excellent effect to make striking miniatures, especially wonderful seeing the age of the CSM and Berzerker kits.

Thanks a lot, guys! I'm glad to hear you like the beginnings of the diorama -- you're also gueessing correctly, by the way: The World Eater wull be crashing down onto the Utramarine from above, which explains the latter's somewhat dodgy pose -- well, that and the Ultramarine has only been tacked together for now, whereas the World Eater has already been completely built.

As for any questions regarding the combination of AoS Blood Warrior and Mk. III Marines, I would agree that it can work really well in principle. So far, I have used two different approaches for this. The first was used on my Khârn conversion and basically consists of combining a Blood Warrior torso with Mk. III legs. Like so:

legs.jpg

This is actually really easy because it only really requires one clean cut. The results are pretty cool too:

eight-captain-kharn-of-the-world-eaters-

Now if you want to keep all that cool Blood Warrior leg detail (the tasset, the loincloth,...), you'll need the somewhat more involved version I've used on the assault marine -- the approach, it must be said, that has basically been perfected by fellow hobbyist betrayer41, to give credit where credit is due. Now this approach basically consists of cutting off the Blood Warrior legs above the knee, then swapping in Mk. III knees and legs. Also pretty simple, although it's a bit more finicky than the other way.

Both approaches are great ways to make more ornate, baroque World Eaters. They also have their downsides, however, such as...

• the resulting models will be far taller than regular Marines, so you should either limit this to special characters, or be prepared to go the true scale-ish route for your entire army -- or at least the entire squad.
  • the models will also end up looking rather baroque, as you can see. Great for 40k World Eaters, but I would use it more sparingly for 30k models -- which is why I will be keeping this limited to special models.
  • Both approaches are actually incredibly wasteful, as you use up two sets of legs to create on working set of legs, so try this at your own risk ;)

Anyway, hope this helps! :)

Both approaches are great ways to make more ornate, baroque World Eaters. They also have their downsides, however, such as...

• the resulting models will be far taller than regular Marines, so you should either limit this to special characters, or be prepared to go the true scale-ish route for your entire army -- or at least the entire squad.
  • the models will also end up looking rather baroque, as you can see. Great for 40k World Eaters, but I would use it more sparingly for 30k models -- which is why I will be keeping this limited to special models.
  • Both approaches are actually incredibly wasteful, as you use up two sets of legs to create on working set of legs, so try this at your own risk ;)

Well... the fact that it makes the marines much bigger works because the new Rubric Marines and Death Guard models are also much bigger than a regular Marine. And if the Berzerkers aren't bigger than normal marines due to 10,000 years of Khorneroids, I'd be surprised. Like seriously. If Khârn's new model wasn't as dynamically posed, I'd bet he'd be almost the same height as a Primaris marine. :lol:

Also, if you're like me and hate how the Berzerker kit looks (a lot of parts in it haven't aged well, plus the kit is as old as I am), it isn't wasteful at all :lol:

Edited by Gederas