Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread 2024: Suddenly, Death Guard...

I really like the no lower jaw look. There’s something very creepy and insectoid about it, made even better now that you’ve added the upper teeth. The inhumanity of the robotic bits, coupled with the dehumanizing effect of the mask, is really striking. Adding the lower jaw in some way pedestrianizes it, and forces it into the context of “big menacing demon thing,” but without there’s no easy answer to what it is besides menacingly other. With a jaw, it’s spooky, but without, it’s terrifying.

Either way, of course, an excellent bit of conversion work ;)

Your Khorne Knight's head actually reminds me of a Mythosaur, whose skull is used as a symbol for Mandalorian warriors. Will you incorporate 'Star Wars' elements into your army, e.g., mount a Stormtalon gunship's engines atop the Knight, so it may fly like a jetpack-equipped Mandalorian warrior? Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

Cheers for the feedback, guys! :smile.:

Regarding the question of lower jaw VS no lower jaw, I am still not sure -- like I said, I think it's a decision I will make when seeing it all as a painted ensemble. I will say that I am leaning towards including the jaw, however. As for possible additions to the forehead, I did consider it, but since I am planning Angron style warpaint on the forehead in some shape or form, I would rather leave the surface as plain as possible, so as not to interfere with the symbols/shapes painted on top of it.

@ Auggs: Yeah, it was clear I would have to start on the second model at some point, wasn't it? :wink: However, like I said, the conversion won't really take of for real until I find someone to trade with for some Bloodthirster vambraces...

As for the female pilot, it's something I have been thinking about ever since Lotara Sarrin was Betrayer's best human character, and after seeing Cheex' fantastic female corsair captain, it was decided.

@ oldschoolsoviet: Wow, mate, you get a free shot for my earlier nail polish comment and everything, but that was really supremely unhelpful! :sad.:

@ NOOBIENOOBLET: You are quite right about the pilot, although the pictures just show the earliest possible mockup! On the finished model, the left hand will be turned around and the right hand will be gripping some kind of control stick, similar to the pilot of the first Armiger.

@ Bjorn Firewalker: Funny you should mention the mythosaur, as I only found out about the creature earlier this year, when researching the shoulder emblems on Boba Fett's armour during a small project repainting an old Kenner action figure -- I can definitely see the resemblance, though! :smile.:

But no, I haven't any more Star Wars shout outs planned. I do have an INQ28 bounty hunter blatantly inspired by Boba Fett, though:

boba-fett-repaint-19.jpg
Edited by KrautScientist

Those Armigers are looking awesome. I really dig the lance/harpoon on the second one, it reminds me of the Blood Slaughterer Impaler (actually, an Armiger torso mated to Onager Dunecrawler legs would make for a rather good Blood Slaughterer...). And that pilot is sublime!

Nice work on the second Armiger! Fist I was doubtful about how the mask would turn out, as I really dig the first one's, but you did a great job and it looks really good with the separate jaws. Also the harpune underlines the title of huntress very well.

Cheers for the feedback, guys! :)

@ Squigsquasher: Thanks! The Blood Slaughterer Impaler was very much an inspiration, obviously -- and the head on the Armiger even came from the model. Hence the resemblance, I suppose ;)

@ Gang Zu: Vielen Dank! :)

@ Graymane: The engine is actually one of the parts that make up the Orbital Vox Relay from the Sector Imperialis Objectives kit. The body of the thing is made up of two halves, and each of those was used as one Armiger engine -- I just had to shave down the underside a bit, so the carapace plate still fits on top.

@ Auggs: & Kizzdougs: Cheers, guys! I won't lie, I have been gunning for that artificer badge for a while now, because it seemed like the one ETL achievement I could actually hope to win ;) To have finally managed it - and with a model I am super proud of, no less - really does feel great! I'm in the company of legends, though ;)

Speaking of which, many of you will already have seen it over in the poll thread, but here's the snazzy photo montage I made to show all the important parts of the Armiger in one picture:

renegade-armiger-bc.jpg

Make sure to check out the artificer poll thread, everyone -- the work on display there from the other guys is just insane! :)

• 2 weeks later...

This is such a cool model, I'm really looking forward to seeing how your other pilot comes along too, I really enjoy seeing the journey your models go through. I'm hoping actually that a Khorne Vet you will help me by popping and out of my chaos thread to share your thoughts on a project i'm working on for christmas, converting my friends Khornate Knight...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, time for another update: With the Call of Chaos upon us, I thought it was time for another more chaotic update. Plus, due to the awesome generosity of fellow hobbyist and Frather ElDuderino, I have finally managed to get my hand on another set of Bloodthirster vambraces -- a part I urgently needed to finish converting my second renegade Armiger Warglaive. So I've been on a bit of a roll today, knocking together the basic assembly for the model. Take a look:

the-huntress-wip-6.jpg

the-huntress-wip-8.jpg

As I have stated earlier on this thread, my objective with the model was to give the model a bit of personality (and, by the same token, have the Armiger refllect the personality of its pilot) while also featuring recurring elements matching the first Armiger (such as the gun arm, the shin armour and a part of the decoration), in order to show how both Armigers are still retainers to the same renegade noble.

After much hemming and hawing, I have also managed to come up with a pose that I like: It's really just a subtle tweak of the standard Armiger leg pose, but I have widened the machine's stance a bit, making it look slightly more aggressive while also creating a pose that could be interpreted as the Armiger bracing for firing its harpoon.

And while I was at it, I also started fine-tuning the machine's pilot, "The Huntress":

the-huntress-wip-9.jpg

the-huntress-wip-10.jpg

Still quite a bit of work to be done (especially when it comes to detailing), but I think I've achieved a bit of a breakthrough with the model, nailing down the general look I want for it. Thanks must go to ElDuderino for blowing some life back into this project with his bitz drop -- cheers, mate! :smile.:

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

the-huntress-wip-7.jpg

Edited by KrautScientist

Nice! I particularly like the old and new bloodthirster bits, they look like they were made to fit there.

The tweak to the legs really helps too. The only suggestion I have is to think about the angle of the harpoon and consider bringing it in line with where the head is facing. This would make it look like it's taking aim, adding to the story of preparing to fire the ursus claw.

Not a minute wasted i see!

I'm glad to see this thread updated, and kinda proud to be involved in whatever small way:) This guy looks great, the oldschool bloodthirster groin armor is a nice touch!

I have to agree with the sergeant though, is the head still loose? Having it look down the harpoon aiming would be pretty cool.

• 3 weeks later...

Praise the pantheon, the forum is back up!

Seriously, my hobby activities have all but collapsed for the last month or so, and I am acutely aware how this has a lot to do with the downtime of my favourite forum -- and judging by some comments I have seen on the other threads, it seems to have been similar for a lot of fellow frater. So a huge thumbs up to the admin team for bringing it all back! I am so happy! :)

So, to honour the occasion, here's the latest update on my second Armiger Warglaive: Behold the completed conversion:

the-huntress-wip-25.jpg

the-huntress-wip-26.jpg

the-huntress-wip-27.jpg

the-huntress-wip-28.jpg

the-huntress-wip-29.jpg

the-huntress-wip-30.jpg

the-huntress-wip-24.jpg

It's not a huge change, when compared with the previous update, but I did finish the decoration of the top carapace, plus I also grafted lots of little teeth onto the shoulder pads and leg armour plates for that special renegade look ;)

And I also straightened out the cockpit, of course:

the-huntress-wip-31.jpg

the-huntress-wip-32.jpg

the-huntress-wip-34.jpg

the-huntress-wip-35.jpg

the-huntress-wip-33.jpg

So the model is pretty much ready for painting now, and I am pretty sure it'll be the central part of my vow for this year's Call of Chaos contribution! ;)

As always, let me know what you think! :)

renegade-armigers-wip-2.jpg

That's certainly delicious! I'm still in awe of that harpoon - but I'm thrilled to see the old metal bloodthirster's loin cloth hang there! Excellent! 

Also, you're a lucky man receiving those BT shin plates. I've been trying to get my hands on them personally for the same reason but haven't had much luck... And I have five Armigers now!

Also, it's interesting how the B&C has turned from an outlet for our hobby to the driver of it, no? :facepalm:

Doubtless this has been asked a thousand times already, but what did you use for the 'chain drum' with the Ursus Claw/Pig Sticker?

The whole thing is ridiculously well-suited to the model and I want to shamelessly swipe the idea.

Cheers for the feedback, everyone! :)

@ Auggs: Thanks, mate! Didn't I even get that Bloodthirster loincloth from you? I am pretty sure I did...

It was really fortunate that ElDuderino was willing to part with those armour plates, as the lack of them had basically brought this whole project to a screeching halt ;) However, I'd like to imagine that I set him up with some cool stuff in return.

Oh, and yes, this forum has very much become a driver for my hobby work -- one of the most important motivations, actually!

@ DuskRaider: Cheers, man! The "pack mates" look is just the thing I was going for, so this makes me very happy indeed!

@ Squigsquasher: Thanks, mate!

@ Paladin7221: Hm, I am actually not sure what I used for the actual drum -- I think it's a leftover bit from the Nemesis Dreadknight, but I am not 100% sure. The rest is easy, though: The decoration is a bit from the Bloodthirster kit, and the chain is some Gale Force Nine modeling chain. Hope this helps!

So just a small update for today: I think this is what I'll be pledging as my Call of Chaos vow:

call-of-chaos-2018-wip-1.jpg

Including the second Armiger is a bit of a no-brainer, obviously, as I really want to have the happy family finished before the year is out ;) In addition, I want to get some paint on two Nurglite characters that have been sitting on my desk for ages:

First up, a Nurglite Lord on bike that was built over a year ago (originally for Auggie's Arena, IIRC):

call-of-chaos-2018-wip-2.jpg

Still pretty happy with this guy -- you certainly wouldn't think he started out as a Ravenwing biker from Dark Vengeance, would you? ;)

And there's this conversion of Maxime Pastourel's Lord of Contagion model from the Dark Imperium boxed set:

call-of-chaos-2018-wip-3.jpg

call-of-chaos-2018-wip-4.jpg

This guy should be fun to paint, with all the gribbly areas of distressed skin and gooey intestines ;)

As always, let me know what you think! :)