Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread 2024: Suddenly, Death Guard...

Thanks a lot for the kind words, gents! I really appreciate it! :)

Two things I forgot to mention in my previous post:

One, the cape already fits fairly well, so I hope I'll only have to perform minimal sculpting and cutting sessions to get it to work:

lorimar-ii-wip-11.jpg

The other thing, and I am almost perversely proud of this, is that the model is still ridiculously modular at this point, which I hope should make the painting process somewhat easier:

lorimar-ii-wip-12.jpg

I am actually really happy with how this project has been coming together so far! :)

lorimar-ii-wip-13.jpg

lorimar-ii-wip-14.jpg

Thanks a lot for the kind words, everyone! I will admit that I was a little afraid that I might have lost my touch, because converting the new CSM didn't come to me quite as easily as it used to. But working on the Abaddon model has been an absolute joy so far -- in all fairness, I actually think he's the new go-to model for building massive chaos lords. It'll be interesting to see how much mileage (and variety) we'll all manage to wring from the sculpt! :)

Speaking of which, the changes and tweaks are getting more and more minuscule, which is always a pretty clear sign that the conversion is basically finished at this point:

lorimar-ii-wip-15.jpg

lorimar-ii-wip-16.jpg

lorimar-ii-wip-17.jpg

lorimar-ii-wip-18.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :)

The only thing I don't like is that my own abandon conversion will look bad in comparison. Your old Lorimar was easily one of my favorite models, this surpasses it in every way.

Now get to work on the regular marines, you've obviously not lost the touch:)

Sorry I missed the entire process, but I love the finished product of the fourth incarnation of this iconic character. In fact, I love how his pose right now is both menacing and inspirational, but also could be interpreted as being celebratory, as if he's bellowing "TADAAAAAA!! Here's the fourth version of me! WOOOOOO!" 

Excellent works as always 

I love the entire piece with the exception of the head. It reminds me of Christopher Lloyd playing Uncle Fester in the Addams Family.

Hidden Content

MV5BMjJiMmQ4ZWEtMTZjYS00Yzc3LWEzMDEtMmI1

Not a dig mind you, just not my cup of tea. :smile.:

Superb work, as has been said it doesn't look like Abaddon, but a new character in his own right! I really like how you've done the skull 'necklace' - it actually looks like it's an official kit!

Glad to see the Eternal Hunt is embracing the new kits, shall look forward to seeing some World Eaters using the new kits!, especially the Teeth of Khorne havocs!

Thanks a lot for the kind words, guys! :)

@ ElDuderino: Don't be afraid of working with the Abaddon model to create your own conversion, mate! It's a surprisingly cool (and forgiving) kit to convert, and I think there's still a lot that can be done with it!

@ Auggs: Cheers, buddy! Happy to see your face again in these parts! :)

@ YoungWolf7: Ahh, what can I do: This has become Lorimar's face, so there's no swapping it out now. I would also say it looks less like Uncle Fester once painted, but we'll see...

@ Lord Commander Eidolon: Cheers! In hindsight, I am so happy that I ended up splicing in those cables from the stock model, after all -- my original plan was simply to glue some skulls to the breastplate, but the finished design is one of my favourite parts of the model now.

it's ridiculously hot over here in my neck of the woods right now, so I could only stomach a bit of light kitbashing. We might end up with the Hateful Sixteen instead of the Hateful Eight ;)

new-we-kitbashes-wip-1.jpg

Many of those are older conversions that are still cool enough to be worth a second lease of life -- that being said, I keep tweaking them, swapping a weapon here or some decorative bitz there.

And then there's this guy (still WIP). A cookie to whoever guesses the inspiration for him ;)

new-we-kitbashes-wip-4.jpg

new-we-kitbashes-wip-5.jpg

To give credit where credit is due, the - very cool - helmet was part of a bitz drop ElDuderino sent me a while ago. Happy to have finally found a model to use it on! :)

Thanks a lot for the kind words, guys! :smile.:

And then there's this guy (still WIP). A cookie to whoever guesses the inspiration for him :wink:

To give credit where credit is due, the - very cool - helmet was part of a bitz drop ElDuderino sent me a while ago. Happy to have finally found a model to use it on! :smile.:

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

I like these new (and old new) kitbashes.

Also, that one's based on this artwork by Mark Gibbons:

5bbb81c9-f976-4fa8-83ac-bb160c548146_rw_

I'll take that cookie now :wink:

Edited by Gederas

Thanks a lot for the kind words, guys! :smile.:

@ ElDuderino: Don't be afraid of working with the Abaddon model to create your own conversion, mate! It's a surprisingly cool (and forgiving) kit to convert, and I think there's still a lot that can be done with it!

@ Auggs: Cheers, buddy! Happy to see your face again in these parts! :smile.:

@ YoungWolf7: Ahh, what can I do: This has become Lorimar's face, so there's no swapping it out now. I would also say it looks less like Uncle Fester once painted, but we'll see...

@ Lord Commander Eidolon: Cheers! In hindsight, I am so happy that I ended up splicing in those cables from the stock model, after all -- my original plan was simply to glue some skulls to the breastplate, but the finished design is one of my favourite parts of the model now.

it's ridiculously hot over here in my neck of the woods right now, so I could only stomach a bit of light kitbashing. We might end up with the Hateful Sixteen instead of the Hateful Eight :wink:

new-we-kitbashes-wip-1.jpg

Many of those are older conversions that are still cool enough to be worth a second lease of life -- that being said, I keep tweaking them, swapping a weapon here or some decorative bitz there.

And then there's this guy (still WIP). A cookie to whoever guesses the inspiration for him :wink:

To give credit where credit is due, the - very cool - helmet was part of a bitz drop ElDuderino sent me a while ago. Happy to have finally found a model to use it on! :smile.:

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

Based on one of my favorite pieces of art :D  I can't wait to see what you do with this!

Kargos blood spitter.

The premade base for abaddon is really cool but I think it might help distinguish your conversion from the original if you didnt use it. Maybe save the doomed primaris marine for another character and build your own base.

Mr Bloodspitter himself, at least that’s where ADB got the inspiration (and name) for Kargos I’m sure. It’s another project I’ve been wanting to tackle for a long time! In fact I’m sure we’ve spoken about it in the very distant past. I’m also wanting to make the Terminator Mr Gibbons painted and was on an old issue of WD.

You’re off to a great start and that helmet is really cool but I’m not so sure it fits the artwork but it does look really cool. Will you be looking at adding the fanged skulls on his leg armour at all? I was thinking of using GS casts of Lord Zhufors armour for that part, maybe an idea for you?

Haha, there's obviously no fooling you guys -- that kitbash is indeed based on Kargos Bloodspitter -- or, at least, the classic Mark Gibbons artwork appearing next to his quote. The cookie goes to Gederas, without a doubt ;)

Other than that, thanks a lot for the kind words, everyone!

The premade base for abaddon is really cool but I think it might help distinguish your conversion from the original if you didnt use it. Maybe save the doomed primaris marine for another character and build your own base.

Hm, I actually like the piece too much to replace it wholesale. That being said, I will of course make an effort to customise the premade parts and add a certain Eternal Hunt touch -- expect the spears and spikes from the previous version of Lorimar to make a return, as I think they make for such a cool great hunt feeling ;)

Mr Bloodspitter himself, at least that’s where ADB got the inspiration (and name) for Kargos I’m sure. It’s another project I’ve been wanting to tackle for a long time! In fact I’m sure we’ve spoken about it in the very distant past. I’m also wanting to make the Terminator Mr Gibbons painted and was on an old issue of WD.

You’re off to a great start and that helmet is really cool but I’m not so sure it fits the artwork but it does look really cool. Will you be looking at adding the fanged skulls on his leg armour at all? I was thinking of using GS casts of Lord Zhufors armour for that part, maybe an idea for you?

You're definitely right about the helmet, buddy: It's a departure from the artwork, albeit a conscious one. I did have a different helmet on there at first, something far closer to the actual art:

new-we-kitbashes-wip-9.jpg

But it simply didn't exude the kind of brodding menace that is arguably so central to making the art so iconic (not even after I spliced in a second set of - more modern - bunny ears), so I abandoned it in favour of ElDuderino's head and ended up with the feel of the art, if not the exact look.

As for the shinguards, I did add one skull face, as you'll be seeing in a minute. The other leg remains untouched however, as I appreciate a bit of fashionable asymmetry ;)

That Mark Gibbons-inspired guy is my favourite conversion on this entire thread. Instantly recognizable. :eek: :jawdrop:

Huh, I think that may be selling the rest of this thread a bit short, buddy, but that's just me. I still appreciate the enthusiastic feedback, though ;)

Anyway, here's another look at the model, now mostly finished and with a few additional tweaks:

new-we-kitbashes-wip-8.jpg

Interestingly enough, the additional touches made the model resemble the art both more (the dangling skull on the right pauldron, the left kneepad) and less (the loincloth). Ultimately, I went with an amalgamation of things that just looked right to me, while trying to keep the inspiration fairly obvious.

Funnily enough, the model also serves as a pretty neat shout out to some really old World Eaters models, thanks to the static pose:

new-we-kitbashes-wip-10.jpg

And here's the new guy, next to my test World Eater from earlier this year:

new-we-kitbashes-wip-11.jpg

In other news, I think I have found the final collection of bitz for Lorimar's tabard area:

lorimar-ii-wip-19.jpg

lorimar-ii-wip-20.jpg

I'll be taking care of the final positioning during/after the painting stage, though.

One nice surprise is how Abaddon's stock cape should only take some slight tweaking to work with the new shoulder pad on the model's right arm:

lorimar-ii-wip-21.jpg

Lol, i thought that that head looked familiar somehow:D Glad to see it get used, I'll have to build a version of kargos of my own I think, I did one back in the day but it don't hold up to this standard.

I love the new touches on Lorimar too, I think it's more or less perfect. Do a timeline of Lorimars, should be a nice stroll down memory lane!

Edit: one detail that I really like is the old school hand holding the chainsword, nice callback!

Edited by ElDuderino

MG!

Ok you posted that four days ago, I’m not the first to say it. He looks great and recognisable.

The Abaddon conversion is really nice, you should be proud of it. Also recognisable which is really cool considering it’s your model everyone is recognising in his newer version.

Great stuff!