Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread 2024: Suddenly, Death Guard...

Cheers for the kind words, guys!

And today, from the ongoing series "Conversions I hoped would work":

I thought I had this really nifty idea for an optional, helmeted head for my Chaos Lord Bardolf:

bardolf-reimagined-wip-15.jpg

(For those of you who don't remember, this is the updated conversion for an older on-foot Chaos Lord that I would always use in 500-750 points games)

Anyway, I had this idea that it would be cool if, in an army where almost everyone is wearing a helmet with one of those bunny ears crests, there's one commanding officer who goes against the grain. I still wanted the helmet to match the style of the army, though. Anyway, take a look:

bardolf-helmet-wip-1.jpg

bardolf-helmet-wip-2.jpg

The Unmade facemask has this wonderful, almost primitive look: You could really imagine it as some kind of deathmask made from hammered bronze, I wanted this to work so much -- but I cannot shake the feeling that the actually faceplate is just a bit too small, even after I went through the trouble of grafting it onto an actual CSM helmet:

bardolf-helmet-wip-3.jpg

It's a bit heartbreaking, really. The helmet would be perfect for the model, if only the mask were a bit bigger. Oh well...

But in other news, I did score a smaller success, at least: I painstakingly spliced together an Mk II helmet with a slightly Khornate look, just because I am sometimes completely into dumb detail stuff like this...

mk-ii-1.jpg

mk-ii-2.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :thumbsup:

Edited by KrautScientist

I think the Unmade head would make an interesting "plate" to go over the front of the helm (a bit like a death mask type of thing), but I think you're right in that it's fractionally too small, which is a shame :sad: The alternate head looks great, though, as does the second model :smile: 

On 4/15/2023 at 8:37 AM, KrautScientist said:

Many thanks, guys! :thumbsup:

@CMDR_Welles Do you mean the small 30k vexilla piece? Because that has only been tacked on for now, and easily gets knocked out of whack when handling the model.

Khorne icon at tippy top.

It isn't aligned correctly with the banner, the pole, and the hypothetical ground

I'm sure you can make that head work! You might have to loose the funky crest bit, but if you shift the whole faceplate slightly lower down the helmet, then use a little greenstuff to bulk up the forehead and blend it into the helmet - add some gnarly spiked thing to the top of the head and it'll be awesome.

Love the mkii head, I bet that was fiddly! 

7 hours ago, k0nahrik said:

I think that the problem is actually that the faceplate is sitting too high and too far forward on the helmet. Maybe try bringing it in and down by about half a mm each way? Would require some finicky trimming but it’s definitely doable. Looks great!

I tend to agree there. The helmet is amazing and I prefer it to the bare head version (never liked this vampire look old zerkers had).

But you can trim the head to fit a little bit better. The size of the helmet is not a problem if we don't see the difference with a "normal" head.

I faced the same problem on my last mini (the librarian in my Exorcists thread) where I had to trim the bare head to fit the Warcry scions of the flame facemask. Even if it is smaller than a normal head, nobody noticed it (or told me :D).

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers for the thoughts on Bardolf's helmet, everyone! I may not have 100% abandoned the idea yet, although it has to be said that it's only a "bonus head" to begin with, and not intended as a permanent replacement for the bare head (which I have come to associate with the character, so it's definitely there to stay).

Just a short update for today, as I have done my very first teeny, tiny bit of painting in more than two years -- and holy heck, I had certainly forgotten how difficult this can be...

For my first test piece, I chose something really small: This converted helmet, based on one of the Easy-To-Build Primaris Reivers:

converted-reiver-helmet-1.jpg

That bright-blue plastic felt a bit offensive, from a visual standpoint, so I thought I might as well paint the head to reacquaint myself with my brushes:

converted-reiver-helmet-2.jpg

Yeah,...look, I know it's nothing special -- but at least it's a start, right? :thumbsup:

Another small update: I've been slowly inching closer to actually getting something painted, taking the tiniest, most absurd baby steps, such as...

...adding a proper (new) World Eaters legion decal to an icon bearer:

new-we-decal-2023-2.jpg

new-we-decal-2023-1.jpg

...and painting another helmet, this time one of the converted Terminators helmets I posted a while back:

painted-terminator-helmet-wip-2.jpg

painted-terminator-helmet-wip-1.jpg

I know, I know: Just tiny bits and pieces. Bear with me, though -- trying to get my mojo back here, as well as my hand-eye-coordination... :facepalm:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot, @Pearson73! :thumbsup:

A quick update: I've made an adjustment to an older model that I am pretty happy with: An old FW World Eaters Dread that I received from my buddy @Augustus b'Raass a couple of years ago:

argus-the-brazen-1.jpg

While I've always loved the design of the model, the one thing I was never quite happy with was how squat the top of the model looked in silhouette. It's especially noticeable at a slightly lower camera angle:

argus-the-brazen-3.jpg

So my plan was always to add some kind of trophy rack/banner on top of the Dreadnought chassis, only I never found a bit that felt just right. Well, I think I have it now:

we-dread-back-banner-1.jpg

we-dread-back-banner-2.jpg

we-dread-back-banner-3.jpg

It's the back banner from the Khorgos Khul model that came with the 1st edition starter box of "Age of Sigmar", and it seems like a pretty ideal choice, if you ask me. :smile:

As always, let me know what you think!

...okay, anyway: Last week I bought what seemed like the last box of Eightbound in Europe (found itat my local Warhammer Store), mostly because I was curious. It's a ...strange kit: The models somehow seem like less than the sum of their parts, and there are quite a few parts where it seems like the sculptors took it just a hair's breadth to far. But I wanted to experiment a bit, and here's my first test model:

eightbound-wip-1.jpg

eightbound-wip-2.jpg

eightbound-wip-3.jpg

eightbound-wip-4.jpg

This isn't even a massive conversion or anything, I just chose some bitz I liked, tweaked the arms a bit, shaved down one of the chainswords a bit (and lengthened one of those short, stubby ones). The shoulder pads are still a first test fit.

Anyway, let me know what you think!

I would try to not be put off by the silence. The forum isn't quite as active as it used to be, sadly. But we should all try to be the change we want to see in the world I suppose.

I quite like the rack on the back of the dreadnaught, does add something to the silhuette much as you say. Still love the reds you use. 

As for the Eigthbound, I am personally not a huge fan of the miniatures. A bit too much, in some way, as you say. I imagine he'll look much better painted up though. 

@KrautScientist @Torbenos I understand what you guys mean... I'm not big of a commenter because I struggle a little with english (second language issue). But I feel like Bolter and Chainsword used to be more alive I'd guess?... Having people liking a post is great, but I miss people giving they're opinion and ideas. My warpsmith was built on people ideas XD

Anyway, I think the icon is a good idea to make the dread a little beefier. With all the new models dreads kinda look a little to small to me. I would love a new chaos dreadnaught model (not Helbrute, I don't like helbrutes they look silly and cartoonish) as big as the new primaris dreads. That why I prefere the decimator model.

The eightbound looks great. Love the use of the exalted head with the not over-the-top chestplate. the right paldron is a nice addition. Personally, I would have made a greestuff mi-section/belly armor. I just don't get the tank top power armor GW went for...