Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread 2024: Suddenly, Death Guard...

Cheers, guys!

@ Paladin7221: It's a padlocked hatch from the Defiler kit -- I cut off the original reactor with the Mechanicus logo on it and just placed the hatch on top, in order to make it look more chaotic (and bring it in line with the design of several other daemon engines).

@ Rift Blade: Thanks, mate! You know, if you're ever feeling tempted, there is a way for you to have your cake and eat it too: Chaos Wolves!

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2013/7/19/518408-Army%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.jpg

Just sayin'...

Chaos wolves? now that´s tempting. :D 13th company? if I recall, no?

@ Paladin7221: Hmm, it might work, although you'd have to pay attention lest the chainmail end up looking too much like hair parted down the middle ;) Come to think of it, another option I've seen for the cowl is to use Defiler armour plates (the one from the front claws), which also seems to work reasonably well.

@ Darth Mustard: Cheers, man! These are not 13th company, though (those guys were still loyal, last time I checked), but actual followers of chaos. Read the whole story here.

interesting idea your "blood wolves"

I have a box of SW but the patron I´m building for is Slaneesh, kind of a hard cross over for SW. 

I have to think about it but not to much otherwise I going to start building for Mister K who is the 4th one on my list and never finish Mr or Ms. Slaneesh :)

You fired up my imagination 

Thanks

:D

I have a box of SW but the patron I´m building for is Slaneesh, kind of a hard cross over for SW. 

I have to think about it but not to much otherwise I going to start building for Mister K who is the 4th one on my list and never finish Mr or Ms. Slaneesh :)

Thanks

:D

You kidding? The Space Wolves are probably the most sensual (not sexual, as in they pay more attention to their senses) than any other chapter. Blood Angels are really about the visual aesthetic. The pups, though, they like their food and drink, they're always sniffing the breeze, and they're generally more in tune with their inner animalistic instincts. There's plenty there for Slaanesh to use. (s)he's not all about sex and rock and roll. The very lack of reserve the wolves demonstrate is their weakness in terms of corruption. Martial pride is only one tool to sway them. There are others.

I have to think about it but not to much otherwise I going to start building for Mister K who is the 4th one on my list and never finish Mr or Ms. Slaneesh :smile.:

Thanks

:biggrin.:

You kidding? The Space Wolves are probably the most sensual (not sexual, as in they pay more attention to their senses) than any other chapter. Blood Angels are really about the visual aesthetic. The pups, though, they like their food and drink, they're always sniffing the breeze, and they're generally more in tune with their inner animalistic instincts. There's plenty there for Slaanesh to use. (s)he's not all about sex and rock and roll. The very lack of reserve the wolves demonstrate is their weakness in terms of corruption. Martial pride is only one tool to sway them. There are others.

That's heresy talk. Pffffft.

Even if they are beautifully painted models. 

Hmm, I think that, with a bit of thought, you can probably always find an angle from which to corrupt pretty much any Space Marine Legion/Chapter in any way you want. For instance, the Dornian Heresy sourcebook had the Blood Angels as followers of Nurgle and the White Scars as followers of Slaanesh -- both sounded ridiculous to me at first, but the background was written so well that the Legions' fate seemed completely plausible after reading about it. So yeah, a bit of imagination (and talent for storytelling) is all it takes ;)

@ Darth Mustard: Cheers, mate! That is very nice of you to say! :)

So, another small update today: Having converted that big Chaos Knight modelI thought I’d work on something a tad smaller in order to relax a bit. So I went back to a couple of models I had built earlier, making an addition here and there and touching them up a bit. Today, I’d like to show you two of those models that share quite a few characteristics: Both are Chaos Lords in Terminator armour, both share quite a few common bitz and both are wielding pretty huge hammers — hence the title of this post. So, let’s take a closer look:
First up, an Iron Warriors Warsmith I converted a rather long time ago (back when Warsmiths were still a thing and Warpsmiths did not yet exist). Here’s the old version of the model:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2012/4/21/356228-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Lord%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Iron%20Warriors%2C%20Killteam.JPG

This guy was based on the stock Chaos Lord in Terminator armour, obviously, with a couple of custom additions: My idea was to add a few touches that would make the Lord’s allegiance to the Iron Warriors obvious. Among those touches was a huge hammer, built by combining the staff that comes with the Chaos Lord kit and a hammer head from the Ogre Kingdom’s Ironbreakers: My idea was that the stone at the centre of the hammer head had been taken from some fortress razed by the Warsmith — maybe even from the Imperial Palace on Terra?

The other slightly eclectic choice was to add a Dark Eldar Talos claw to the model’s right arm: Though the sinister, augmetic look was rather nice, the hand did end up looking a bit too big…

Anyway, when I recently came across the model, I realised that both of those ideas had been pretty cool, but that I could do better, replacing those slightly eclectic elements with bitz that would keep the overall look but fit the model better. So here’s the touched up model for you:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/7/25/632540-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Lord%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Hammer%2C%20Iron%20Warriors.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/7/25/632541-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Lord%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Hammer%2C%20Iron%20Warriors.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/7/25/632542-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Lord%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Hammer%2C%20Iron%20Warriors.JPG

The Talos claw was replaced with a very cool power claw from the Raptor kit. It may be ever so slightly less sinister, but the proportions seem far more plausible now! The new hammer head came from the Dragon Ogres, and while the weapon still looks like its head could have been cut from the remains of a razed fortress, I think the weapon is now far more befitting a commander of the IV legion.

All in all, the model seems like a more seamless kitbash now, and I am rather happy with that — I should probably make some time for getting this chap painted, come to think of it…

The second model isn’t quite as old: Some of you might remember my attempt to build a model wearing armour inspired by Mk 1 Tactical Dreadnought Armour earlier this year. Here’s the model that came from that attempt:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/1/29/579390-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Lord%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.jpg

When we last saw this guy, quite a few parts of him were still provisionally tacked together with modelling putty. I also wasn’t perfectly sure about the weapon in his right hand.

Anyway, I am really happy to say that I have finally sorted out the last few rough patches on the model and can present the mostly finished conversion to you today. Take a look:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/7/25/632543-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Lord%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Doomwall%2C%20Hammer%2C%20Khorne.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/7/25/632544-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Lord%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Doomwall%2C%20Hammer%2C%20Khorne.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/7/25/632546-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Lord%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Doomwall%2C%20Hammer%2C%20Khorne.JPG

I do of course realise that the armour does not perfectly represent Mk 1 armour, but I still think the sloped shoulder pads serve as a very strong callback to that particular design. In any case, I just wanted to make this armour look like an ancient, artificer crafted piece of equipment, a true relic from the earliest days of the Great Crusade.

Beyond the shoulder pads, I tried to incorporate several elements recalling older armour marks, such as the crest of horse hair atop the armour (a callback to the older Cataphractii artwork). I also built a weapon system resembling that seen on the Talon of Horus for the left hand — basically for the heck of it, to tell you the truth, but also because I like the idea that an immensely old and valuable suit of warplate such as this would feature equally impressive integrated weapons.

Oh, and you will have realised that the DA maul has been replaced with a Space Wolves thunder hammer: My reasoning behind this is that the stylised wolf head on the weapon would work equally well as a representation of the War Hounds, the original identity of the XII legion. So the hammer is an ancient relic of the legion as well, predating its name change and descent into madness.

I also worked on the model’s back quite a bit, using a shaved down old CSM backpack in order to make the armour’s back resemble the reactor section that can be seen on FW’s Cataphractii models:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/7/25/632545-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Lord%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Doomwall%2C%20Hammer%2C%20Khorne.JPG

It has taken a very long time to finish this model, but I am really happy with the result: I imagine this guy to be Lord Captain Lorimar’s taciturn bodyguard, called “The Doomwall”. I actually already have quite a bit of backstory for this guy in the back of my head, but all in its good time. For now, I am more than happy with the hulking, implacable look I have managed to create on the model!

Here are both models next to each other:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/7/25/632547-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Lord%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Doomwall%2C%20Hammer%2C%20Iron%20Warriors.JPG

Even though both are based on the same model, I think I have managed to make them look reasonably different, don’t you think?

Anyway, working on these has been rather refreshing after working on that huge Knight model ;)

Feel free to let me know any feedback or suggestions you might have!

I really liked that mk1 throwback when you first made it but I've gotta say I like it even more so now, I'd love to make one of my own.

I agree you've done a great job creating two completely different models from the same kit, gotta love those bits boxes haha

I think the Mk. I terminator is amazing. The other guy is cool too, but seriously doze shoulda plates! It's crazy how much difference it made to cover up the half-circle cutouts made. They're so much more substantial now. The work with the power pack really helped sell the ancient theme as well. He just looks like a slab of pitted metal hatred. 

That MK1 terminator is a*maze*ing!

It's very neat in that it combines so many awesome terminator elements. I love it!

Quick question, where is that little horsehair plume from? It's the perfect size to look eyecatching without being over the top.

I don't have a topknot obsession...

Thanks a lot, people! :smile.:

@ JeffTibbetts: "a slab of pitted metal hatred" -- that was precisely the mission statement for this guy :wink: So glad it seems to have worked out!

@ OSS: Haha, I see your point: In a way, those two models neatly bookend a chapter in my "career" as a kitbasher: Back when I built the Warsmith, using those Marauder drums as vaguely pre-heresy looking shoulder pads seemed like such a clever idea. Nowadays, as evidenced by the Heldrake leg plates on the Mk I Termie, there are some much better options :wink:

@ Flint13: Cheers, Flint! The topknot is really the tail of one of the horses that come with the WFB Chaos Chariot. And since I really didn't plan on using those horses for anything much,...

EDIT: A minor update: Moltar suggested adding an ammo feed to the power claw gauntlet over on Dakka, and he is absolutely right of course! Good thing I still had an ammo feed from an old CSM heavy bolter! Here's the result:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/7/25/632623-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Lord%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Doomwall%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Kitbash.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/7/25/632622-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Lord%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Doomwall%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Kitbash.JPG

Thanks again to Moltar for suggesting this!  :smile.:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/7/25/632624-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Lord%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Doomwall%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Kitbash.JPG

Edited by KrautScientist

Dammit, that's two kits this thread has me eyeing up on our Fantasy shelf now... seriously, your stuff is epic. For starters, I'd never have looked at Heldrake legs and thought 'They'll look awesome as Terminator shoulder pads!'

Dragonlover

Dammit, that's two kits this thread has me eyeing up on our Fantasy shelf now... seriously, your stuff is epic. For starters, I'd never have looked at Heldrake legs and thought 'They'll look awesome as Terminator shoulder pads!'

didn't you hear the whispers that claim Kraut is secretly a GW promotor? ;)

Cheers, guys! :)

didn't you hear the whispers that claim Kraut is secretly a GW promotor? :wink:

Haha, I wish! Then I wouldn't have to shell out so much money for plastic crack... ;)

Doomwall is quite an impressive character. Very intimidating.

One suggestion though, perhaps try to cover or smooth over the runes on his hammer? The callback to the War hounds is a great idea, but the runes make it obviously wolfy.

I really like the concept behind the warsmith's hammer too. It's wonderfully spiteful.

Cheers, mate! I haven't entirely made up my mind concerning those runes, to tell you the truth: It's true that they serve as a visual shorthand for the Space Wolves, but at the same time, they also resemble the various runes that used to appear on older GW warriors of chaos. Hmmm...

Cheers, mate! I haven't entirely made up my mind concerning those runes, to tell you the truth: It's true that they serve as a visual shorthand for the Space Wolves, but at the same time, they also resemble the various runes that used to appear on older GW warriors of chaos. Hmmm...

Or deliver on that thought and recarve/cover them up to actually BE the old runes. You're right that they're similar, but since when has 'close enough' been adequate. :D 

Hmm, some pretty interesting suggestions, guys! I'll think about it.

Meanwhile, allow me to point you towards an awesome project: Those of you interested in Chaos Knight Titans should definitely head over to Dark Apostle's thread and feast their eyes upon his Word Bearers Knight. Just sayin'...

Oh, and while you're over there, don't forget to say hello, alright? ;)

Edited by KrautScientist