WarriorFish's ETL Victory Vow - Semper's Heroes

WarriorFish

I hadn't mentioned the type of traitor so it wasn't an unreasonable assumption smile.png Chopping the model down so it appears partially submerged won't be difficult, it's the water and blood effect that I'm unsure about. For the DE bases I blobbed it on pretty thick to get the appearance I wanted on a brown base coat and it looks good, so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect building up thinner layers with the red in between to work.

I'll post up the results of my experimentation when it is finished biggrin.png Being the organised fellow I am lately I need to check my undercoating cans... I must sort out my supplies if I'm to have any hope of getting a Baneblade in for ETL III! sweat.gif

Perhaps you could build up the base with layers of plasticard then cut the puddle out . done with card stock it might be done . The water effect would have the depth through color gradient. I have seen something similer done before I think it was in White Dwarf, a Eavy Metal painter.

For some reason, I'm imagining this heavy weapons team is on a raised base, with the chaos marine slumped slightly on the edge of a pond... might that be an idea to try? The dead marine slumped on the edge of a pool that the team has stopped in front of?

Sadly I wasn't free to model yesterday and I even picked up a couple of injuries along the way dry.png So I've been unable to make much progress unfortunately but I have sourced some bits to do what I can.

I've found the Devastator HB bit I was thinking of and it's almost a perfect fit though I'm not entirely sure which way it should go... I think I've got it the right way here:

gallery_30308_3239_4121.jpg

gallery_30308_3239_14196.jpg

It's stuck on as best I can without any trimming and I might remove the handle but I wanted to double check I had it right first! Turns out I don't have a Sentinel Lascannon power pack as I've used them all but I thought I'd test it out with the Multilaser and HWT power pack.

gallery_30308_3239_16753.jpg

gallery_30308_3239_3922.jpg

I've not removed the cables yet, but you can see how it works. They make the Lascannon a little back heavy though so I might have to counter balance it somehow.

I think the HWT pack is too large and the Sentinel pack isn't much smaller, plus it would need some chopping down to look a better match I reckon so I'm leaning towards the ML pack. It wouldn't be too much work to GS the side to make it look like like a Lascannon pack (one rather than three "plates" with the line through).

I also nabbed a servo skull from the Dev kit, the one with the little claw. I'd like to have him poking the dead traitor in some way but we'll see how it turns out biggrin.png I'm working on a test base for the blood spill, I'll post up pictures when I have something worth showing smile.png

A quick update while I think about it. I've still got a bit of trouble with some of my back muscles and hand sad.png I greatly underestimated how thin the water effect can be when I'm not ladling it on, I'll speed it up with much thicker coats tonight while I'm working on my DE for the upcoming games.

After Sunday's games I can get back to the Veterans, I'll try to remember to be better organised for the next round so it doesn't disrupt other projects. My fires of hobby burn brightly so I'm keen to get stuck back in next week biggrin.png

Thanks to Sviar for the video link as that was quite a useful hour or so of bouncing around between videos. For those familiar with my original ETL vow topic I've added Typhus Corrosion to my "list of weathering experiments" so once I've cleared the decks a bit more I might get stuck into that :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still plugging away where I can find time, but my attempts today have met only with disaster cry.gif Turns out the glue I borrowed was a bit old or something as it just hasn't worked. I should have been suspicious when it had "Games Workshop" on the side, but trying to handle some of the models just had bits pop off :( So I decided to work on fitting the heavy weapon bits only for it to all go tits up too.

The work I did on the base/water experiment has gone weird too and is looking oddly patchy in places. Looks a bit like mud clumps so it's probably fine still for a test run. Maybe I can salvage some things but not today, I think it's best I put down the modelling bits and get on with other things... mellow.png

I should have been suspicious when it had "Games Workshop" on the side

Yes, using their glue is the first step to heresylaugh.png Sorry to hear that you have problem with your glue. I use Humbrols precision poly cement and it is in my opinion a very good glue.

if it isn't working leave it and come back later before you bugger it up any more! tongue.png

It is a good adviceyes.gif I on the other hand can't leave a problem that annoys me alone, until it is fixed.

Thanks Sviar, I was watching a DVD with friends today which was nice and relaxing and we talked about my misfortune and you're not the first to recommend Humbrol so I think that will be my first port of call. Unfortunately I won't be able to get down the shops until next weekend but it can't be helped.

I have played with the Blood for the Blood God some more and as a paint for doing blood I'm really impressed with how good it looks for such little effort. I'm not entirely sold on my blood in the water test though but I'll see how it turns out when it's finished. I can always have have the traitor submerged in mud or worst comes to it reduce him to a severed head! tongue.png

Just as well this isn't the real ETL msn-wink.gif Probably one of the best bits of advice for anything: if it isn't working leave it and come back later before you bugger it up any more! tongue.png

Yet the real ETL is coming... be prepared! ;)

Worry not Captain, the supply lines will be fully restored in preparation for the war effort :D I'm just too busy juggling too many balls right now but I will make sure this is not the case when the ETL rolls round. At least I hope not, I don't think I could put up with this for that long. Not without going full Death Company at work or something... :lol:

Holy throneeek.gif, you're really having a bad start this year. But think like this, from here on things can only get better, as long as you have faith in Holy God Emperor he will guide you through the dark and troubled times. So when Captain Semper actually gets around to kickstart the ETL, you'll be delivering the Emperors wrath to those who dare stand against us Guardsdevil.gif.

I really hope things work out for the bestyes.gif

2014 hasn't exactly ushered in a golden age, no tongue.png I'm moving quick on sorting this as I need my personal computer for more than just games and hobby so I'm mostly concerned about the data I haven't backed up or can't replace (although some replacements will be time consuming). Unfortunately this includes rather a lot of hobby things I've been accumulating recently such as painting and modelling methods/tutorials and more sad.png I had a lot of tabs and bookmarks on useful links too that I'd struggle to fully replace!

I'll light the sacred incense and speak the prayers of recovery when I access the surviving disk... The Machine God surely won't abandon one of his devoted servants!

Just a small update while I think about it. The HDD data seems unrecoverable, I'm not really a hardware person but I'm pretty sure there's nothing that can be done. I'm glad that most things I can get again or are not that important, but sadly some things like the 40k PDF collection are lost to time forever, along with some other hobby stuff including my inspiration and ideas folder sad.png I should have my new machine up and running this week, the sooner the better as I don't much like being without it. It's like part of my soul is missing!

The good news is I've got some glue now so I can get back to work biggrin.png Though my computer must take a priority all the fantastic work everyone's been posting up lately has me itching to get painting! I'll have to be careful not to rush to finish the assembly and risk mistakes in my desire to pick up the brush.

I've finished the water effect experiment too, I'll try and get a picture of it up as soon as I can as I can't decide if it looks any good or not.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like I'm forever updating with anything but model stuff sad.png I'm unfortunately locked in battle with sorting my PC out, it's mostly there but there's a problem or two that is proving very difficult to nail down so it's eating my free time up. It could make or break the PC depending on what it is... hopefully it's ok, I'm currently seeing how it goes after the latest changes.

I did snap a quick picture of the base experiment though:

gallery_30308_3239_4901.jpg

I think this looks better in the picture than real life for once! laugh.png I tried to layer the blood on several water effect layers but it didn't really work, or rather it did but you can barely notice. There is a subtle difference in the blood thanks to having it so I think it's worth doing with one or two water effect layers.

I'm still undecided on it, as sometimes it looks ok and other times rubbish. I think a different colour for the bottom might be better, a lighter brown perhaps so the blood stands out a bit better?

Thanks to the weather today has become free so I'm working on my Guardsmen once more biggrin.png I've decided to leave the extras for the HWT and do them later - there has been too many great pictures of late and I've been suitably inspired to paint!

I've sorted all the resin (plasma torso was a pain) and assembled everything ready for undercoating smile.png They're all suitably armed and equipped so they look like they can handle anything, I can't wait to paint them thumbsup.gif It might have to wait though, it's not spraying weather currently and I still need to dig out that white can I know I've got somewhere so without further ado it's time for some rubbish pictures again!

Front pictures:

gallery_30308_3239_15020.jpg

gallery_30308_3239_68032.jpg

gallery_30308_3239_34029.jpg

Rear pictures:

gallery_30308_3239_42421.jpg

gallery_30308_3239_12709.jpg

gallery_30308_3239_11150.jpg

Last but certainly not least, the final addition:

gallery_30308_3239_8042.jpg

The mug will be left separate to make it a bit easier to paint smile.png

Archived