WarriorFish's ETL Victory Vow - Semper's Heroes

WarriorFish

It is a well known secret of the 144th that the Inquisitor is always watching. Nothing passes without his knowledge so it is no surprise to find that raw talent is rewarded and heroism doesn't go unnoticed. Even the ranks of officers, populated with the geno-enhanced leaders bred specifically for purpose has a notable presence of officers from outside the Houses - promoted from the ranks due to their skill and faith. There is one exception to this; a man who to date is the only person to have refused the honour of a promotion - several times. Where others are hungry for more glory and to better serve the regiment and Emperor he has no wish other than to lead his squad of blood-brothers into battle in Him on Terra's name.

The Legend of Semper's Heroes as it has long been known is a common camp fire story. Variations are frequent, with different platoons having their own stories - often from their own tales where they met Semper and his men. Despite the clandestine nature of the squad's activity and Regimental Command's insistence they don't exist much is common enough knowledge within the regiment and support elements.

It is said that in frustration Firionel promoted Semper anyway but let him retain his position; he supposedly wears the rank of Captain currently and aside from his unusual command of only 9 other men enjoys all the benefits and honour this provides. "No act in His service goes unrewarded in my regiment" as Firionel is fond of saying, perhaps the greatest reward Semper has is being allowed leeway to act in this way - Firionel being famously strict and used to getting his own way. Stranger still is the boltgun he wields, rumoured to have been a gift from a Dark Angel for unknown reasons.

Due to the nature of the squad and the huge number of tales told many believe them not to exist. A single squad of Veterans - even the accomplished members of the 144th's Veteran Company - are surely not capable of such feats as have been attributed to them. A point of view encouraged by the regiment's command and commissariat structure it nonetheless continues to thrive with so many strongly defended stories of a timely arrival by the Alpha Squad - Semper's Heroes.

The holo screen flickered to life, bringing the Inquisitor's ancient face into view. Clad in his distinctive crimson power armour his visor glowed with an ethereal redness. The only part of his face visible was his mouth, formed into an almost permanent scowl of raw power and an unquenchable hatred of all mankind's enemies.
"My lord," Firionel bowed low in a well honed movement.
"The war goes well my son, victory will soon be ours against the hatred traitors. Your soldiers have shown their worth once more." his visor seemed to glow with approval.
"Naught but the Emperor's favour sire, we serve him and you to the best He allows."
"No. The Emperor rewards faith and skill; this victory is well earned by your hand but will be wasted if we do not destroy that which caused it. My acolytes have identified the traitor marines that supported the heretics and brought forth ruin to this sector but are unable to reach them before they escape. I am sending you the traitor's co-ordinates now, as well as their destination. They must not be permitted to escape, bring me their heads!"
With that the holo screen abruptly cut out, the Inquisitor's precious time expended enough. Firionel was unperturbed by this; it was all he needed to know to do his job. He turned to his trusted aide Barak, the Primaris Psyker of no small talent who accompanied him regularly.
"These co-ordinates are deep behind enemy lines, Commander. We could divert some Valkyries from sector 9B4 but they'd be passing over 10A3 which is still heavily fortified. We won't be able to redeploy the artillery and infantry in time to soften it - we'd take heavy casualties," he intoned from his mastery of the battlefield's progress.
"No, friend, I won't waste lives needlessly and they'd never get through in a state to defeat them even if it's only a single squad. Keep to the plan and we'll have the war won by the day's end without suffering significant losses," Firionel rested his hands on the holo controls, frowning with thought.
"The Stormtrooper Company will never reach them in time - "
"Get me Semper," Firionel interrupted - this was the sort of thing only Alpha Squad could pull from the warp.

The first traitor was still falling to his knees by the time the last of his brethren was dead, the look of surprise still etched on his face. Semper turned wordlessly to see his squad immediately ready to fade into the night once more. Argun had the autocannon packed and ready, the barrel still smoking and white with heat from firing, Sviar nonchalantly flicking globules of astarte blood from his blade. Nico nodded at him, crouched down with his blade still hovering over a traitor's severed head and his fingers on his Vox earpiece.
"Orders. We're to hunt down the instigators, traitors. Marines," he stopped repeating the transmission, knowing he had said all that was required.
Semper didn't even smile, he just nodded back and started walking. The war was all but won, the 144th was victorious once again and Alpha Squad was surely needed elsewhere.

As Semper's Heroes headed off towards the next hell hole they could find a lone voice started singing an old song, soon joined by the tones of his blood-brothers:

Through the Warp, to near and far,
To Tallarn, Lethe and Ultramar,
The Emperor points and we obey,
Through the Warp and far away...

Thanks to Elmo and Nico for the suggestion, I think it was the perfect colour scheme to not stand out too much smile.png Without further ado I present the (finally) completed Semper's Heroes!

Full squad

gallery_30308_3239_49630.jpg

gallery_30308_3239_32464.jpg

gallery_30308_3239_82823.jpg

A nice cup ready for a brew at a moment's notice

gallery_30308_3239_94.jpg

HWT

gallery_30308_3239_31023.jpg

gallery_30308_3239_20721.jpg

Last but not least, Semper

gallery_30308_3239_19475.jpg

The light was a bit rubbish, so the pictures haven't come out as great as I had hoped, I should sort out my lamp! Especially the HWT, you can barely see the blood in the water confused.gif There's a few touch ups required on some of the bases where some white is and I've to finish the other two heavy weapons but they're minor issues smile.png

I'm very pleased to have finished the squad as well as how they've turned out (they look better in real life!). I'll have the last bits sorted before they hit the table where I'm sure they will be as unstoppable as during ETL II msn-wink.gif Thanks for the support everyone, I'll update you with more pictures once I've done the remaining pieces - perhaps as small breaking during an upcoming Chimera I have to paint tongue.png

The finished squad looks fantastic! Great work, WarriorFish.

This thread has inspired me such that I think I should build something similar for an Inquisitorial henchmen warband. Since my =][= force used MT Scions as Inquisitorial Storm Troopers, I think the first addition might be a Commissar with the nickname WarriorFish msn-wink.gif ... however, a Ministorum Priest dressed up as a commissar might be more effective.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I think the black Chaos marine looks just right on that base. I enjoyed the little story too.

Thanks guys, we're pondering a Kill Team round of games soonish so maybe that will be their first oppertunity?

You should definitely do it Nico, it's a lot of fun and I'd be honoured to have a model amongst your collection named after me! :) I'm not happy with the pictures though so I'll try and take some better ones tomorrow if I get some decent sunlight. I don't think they do the HWT justice, I managed to get a nice black on him so I think he turned out very well along with the blood. It was a nice change of model and colours to do - not enough to make me want to start a Chaos army though :P

Thanks Prot, though I have to admit it wasn't particularly planned - just sort of turned out that way :P

I tried taking a new set of pictures but they weren't any better, I fear the wonderful sunlight of summer is dead for the year :(

The soldiers look amazing, rich in details. Great job WarriorFishthumbsup.gif

That was a well-told intro that left me wanting moreyes.gif If you ever write a short story about the 144:th, I would love to read it.

I truly feel honoured to have a model with my name on it.

Like Nico I also got an inspiration to do something, but sadly that is in the far future, but we will see if I make something before ETL IV.

Thanks both, I didn't really expect many to read the blurb :lol: Sadly it's easy to come up with great plans - the difficulty is always finding the time!

My engine is ready to leap straight into the Treads and Thrusters challenge next, my new models should be arriving next weekend :D I should be able to blast through a single tank, though I'm planning on doing something a little different to normal so it might take a bit longer.

Thanks walter, good to see you around a bit more :tu: I'm eager to get started on my next project but I just realised I forgot to add the Scions to my order :(

I'll consider it added motivation to finish these models when they arrive so I can make another order - I'll include some Bullgryns in that too :)

Bullgryns, have been on my mind as well, but I have to decide on a ,Taurox or them so still thinking. Work is still picking up ,so I don't have the time,what with the hunny-do projects that have got to be done on whats left of the weekend,but I'm hoping for a little slow down shortly. 

This is a tremendous effort WarriorFish! The red shoulder pad works very well and I love the little details (the dead Traitor, the mug, Semper's eye patch)

I also love the story. It's an inginous way to explain how a Captain will be leading just a squad! :D I also love the Sharp hints... So what's next? Sharp's Semper's Company, Semper's Regiment? O'er the hills and far away mate! Get me an Imperial Eagle! :lol:

Congratulations for completing this task you set for yourself, and I think it's high time for them to get a transport!

Thanks Captain! :D I also included a small A-Team reference in their name to fully round the pop culture nods off :P Perhaps one day Semper will will finally accept the role the Emperor has set for him and accept full promotions up the ranks, I'm sure a Veteran Company army led by him will be a force to be reckoned with! Now that does give me a few ideas - should my wallet and free time be capable :lol:

Last I heard the 144th's was getting a new transport delivered this weekend. I'm sure Semper can use the perks of his rank to get first dibs on it... ;)

Archived