What 2014 will bring

Theduke08

Servo Skulls...

A friendly unit arriving by Deep Strike rolls one D6 less for scatter if it aims to arrive within 12" of a

Servo-skull. Likewise, friendly blast templates placed within 12" of a Servo-skull roll one D6 less for scatter.

That's a quote directly from the codex...

There's a huge difference between a discussion based on a rule, and a discussion based on someone's summary of a rule... "one D6 less than the usual" is fairly easily identified as a summary just from a common sense POV...

Looking at the proper wording for the Servo Skull rule, it becomes very apparent that it stacks with DOA, and I don't think anyone would dispute that in a game if you showed them both codices...

I hear your point TheSauce... but to be honest, having played 3 or 4 different table top games, and playing at a variety of clubs, I always find this one thing to be true...

60-80% of all rules arguments can be solved by asking one or both parties to go back to their codex/rulebook/reference book and read...

If that fails, I ask them to go and read again, slowly, while paying careful attention to the punctuation the author has used...

Servo Skulls...

A friendly unit arriving by Deep Strike rolls one D6 less for scatter if it aims to arrive within 12" of a

Servo-skull. Likewise, friendly blast templates placed within 12" of a Servo-skull roll one D6 less for scatter.

There's a huge difference between a discussion based on a rule, and a discussion based on someone's summary of a rule... "one D6 less than the usual" is fairly easily identified as a summary just from a common sense POV...

Looking at the proper wording for the Servo Skull rule, it becomes very apparent that it stacks with DOA, and I don't think anyone would dispute that in a game if you showed them both codices...

If only more 40k rules discussions could be resolved in so few posts!

Which is great of course, and very clear now with the benefit of the rule being clarified by word msn-wink.gif I always try to avoid stating rules as "x" without having the relevant book in front of me, and you can even have a lengthy rules discussion providing people don't make sweeping statements or claims of fact until they've read/quoted what's relevant... like often happens on other sites dry.png .

Out of curiosity, when do Servo Skulls get removed from play? (Don't have the Inquisition dex sadly)

Well... technically... an enemy "Unit"  But 7ed definition of a "Unit" is anything and everything lol...

Also, very helpfully, enemy units can't infiltrate within 12 inches of them, or make a scout move ending within 12 inches, which means they survive at least until your opponent's first move...

When an enemy model gets within 6 inches

Well... technically... an enemy "Unit" But 7ed definition of a "Unit" is anything and everything lol...

Also, very helpfully, enemy units can't infiltrate within 12 inches of them, or make a scout move ending within 12 inches, which means they survive at least until your opponent's first move...

Thanks for the clarification thumbsup.gif

So going first with an Alpha Strike with them is good, but anything going first against (and highly mobile) requires more careful placement?

I'd say against a stationary Tau firebase, they're awesome...  Against a droppod army, where nearly nothing is in your opponent's DZ, theyr'e great...

Against anything footslogging they're ok, just keep them 2 turns worth of movement away...

Against Eldar, or Mobile Tau builds your servo skulls will go pop on turn 1...  Unless of course you have them nearer your own DZ than your opponent's...  But, if you're deepstriking everything on your half of the board, was there any point???

For the Emperor and Sangiunius! Death!

Pre-ordered Shield of Baal!

If only it had Blood Angels in it sad.png Then I'd get it. Maybe waiting to see what else comes out.

I'd like the Cities of Death rules, but not for £45!

Hopefully they re-release them separately.

Personally, i hope for a return to these roots- the BA core of MARINES and tactical marines that can bring it like the best of them.

PRAISE THE EMPEROR I AGREE.

why? go back to the Rhino/Razorback rush, the blood angles are good the way they are now, all we need is a point change.

For the Emperor and Sangiunius! Death!Pre-ordered Shield of Baal!

If only it had Blood Angels in it :( Then I'd get it. Maybe waiting to see what else comes out.I'd like the Cities of Death rules, but not for £45!Hopefully they re-release them separately.

It would seem in my haste for blood angels things I ordered this and there are no blood angels :( woe is me.

Well it might not have the emperors angels in this one but I'm excited for the narrative and new rules.

@knife and fork: well gw is giving him some serious love at the moment so I'm fighting tooth and claw to stem the tide until reinforcements are on the way. I'm not sure if you were legitimately asking for tips because most require army synergy. I will throw out librarian Dreadnoughts screened by assault troops for physic defense/offence and force weapons. In the same category mephy, if you run meph and corbs your tyranid opponent will hate you lol.

@knife and fork: well gw is giving him some serious love at the moment so I'm fighting tooth and claw to stem the tide until reinforcements are on the way. I'm not sure if you were legitimately asking for tips because most require army synergy.  

No problems with nids here. I think we have all the tools needed to handle them. Bring units like Mephiston or Librarian dreads as you mention and it's not even fair. Pop goes the TMC! Dreads in general are problematic for 'nids, and I always bring plenty.

The only thing that gives me trouble is the flying hive tyrant now that he's a little more difficult to bring down.

The text is: "A friendly unit arriving by Deep Strike rolls one D6 less for scatter if it aims to arrive within 12" of a Servo-skull."

So there is no use of the words 'as usual', meaning that we scatter 0D6".

So back to the non-existent rumours now!

I created a PDF of the Leviathan preview that was released Vis the Warhammer iOS app. Here's a link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24419240/ShieldofBaalLeviathanPreview.pdf

This lead me to a horrifying thought. What if the Nids succeed and the Blood Angels are wiped out and the army squatted?

I created a PDF of the Leviathan preview that was released Vis the Warhammer iOS app. Here's a link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24419240/ShieldofBaalLeviathanPreview.pdf

This lead me to a horrifying thought. What if the Nids succeed and the Blood Angels are wiped out and the army squatted?

Yeah, let's get rid of a first founding chapter that's been present since the dawn of this game with a hefty player base and stop producing a bunch of kits that are selling well. 

Not happening.

Also, ultramarines managed to stop a hive fleet with the help of PDF regiments and some elements from imperial navy. Blood Angels and all their successors along with a number of battle sisters and Imperial Guard? Yeah.

Yeah, let's get rid of a first founding chapter that's been present since the dawn of this game with a hefty player base and stop producing a bunch of kits that are selling well. 

Not happening.

Also, ultramarines managed to stop a hive fleet with the help of PDF regiments and some elements from imperial navy. Blood Angels and all their successors along with a number of battle sisters and Imperial Guard? Yeah.

All valid points, but no one thought they'd fold the Black Templars into the vanilla marines either. I doubt it'll happen, but you never know. There were a few rumors of no new model releases and look at all the crazy $#*! they are doing with the End Times for Warhammer.

When I first started a few years ago, everyone told me that there was no way GW would ever squat an army again. The last time they did it caused too much of a censored.gifstorm. What I think we're likely to see is armies seeing a slight reduction in complexity by being folded into existing codices. Frankly, even if GW did start advancing the storyline, it's not like Astartes chapters are eliminated at the drop of a hat, anyway, and I don't think anyone would mind the First Founding chapters having at least "they are around until the end of the story" level plot armor.

So, no. I doubt the big surprise is that the Blood Angels codex gets squatted.

Servo Skulls...

I stand corrected. Though I'm still quite certain this will be FAQ'd out at some point, since stacking these effects is probably something the designers didn't have in their mind when writing the rule.

Btw, the Shield of Baal book set is already sold out. Missed my chance.

Not happening.

All valid points, but no one thought they'd fold the Black Templars into the vanilla marines either. I doubt it'll happen, but you never know. There were a few rumors of no new model releases and look at all the crazy $#*! they are doing with the End Times for Warhammer.

Then we are talking about different things. The term "squatted" means getting erased from fluff and gameplay both. Black Templars did not get squatted for example. They still have their army. It is just that their codex got rolled into codex space marines. Now, is it possible same might happen to the Blood Angels. Sure, in the future. But I don't see it happening any time soon.

Archived