What 2014 will bring

Theduke08

Bols has the BA/Ork box set rumour up for September, suggesting Ork codex before and BA codex after.

I'm still sceptical about the updated 6th ed rules, and perhaps more sceptical of a new starter set. Surely GW will want to maximise profits from Dark Vengeance? Unless it's selling badly I guess...

There is suppose to be a summer campaign wrapping up DV, then followed by this new box set release, followed up with another summer campaign for that box set circle of life yadda yadda.

it seems unlikely that the boxed set would be quite so one sided tbh... much as I really want this to be true (will harken back to 2e, which I just barely missed (I got into the hobby at the age of 9 and the 3rd ed book was out not so long after)

In my opinion, the DV was COMPLETELY 1 sided.  Dark Angels had a ton of units compared to what Chaos got, so I don't think they care about balance.  Would be a fluffy box set, it just depends on what we see released between now and the end of the summer.  I can't see there being just released armies in with a new box set if Orks are late summer bound either.  But who knows what GW is thinking lately.

Im also keeping my fingers crossed for a new assault squad kit.  The current kit doesnt really need an update but with what the did with the new tac squad id love to see what they could do with a new assault squad kit.

When CSM came out and they redid the tac squad box i just assumed that when CBA came out the assult squad box would get a redo too. And really, all they would have to do to it to make me happy would be to bump the model count up to the full ten

Rumors from just a couple days ago:

http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/blood-angels-and-necrons-mysterious.html

via an anonymous source the Faeit 212 inbox
A friend that works for GW mentioned to me that he had seen new Blood Angels 
Marines being worked on. He also said that they were snap fit models from 
what he could tell.

A few weeks before that, the same guy mentioned seeing Necron Warriors with 
different looking Gauss flayers. He also mentioned a new Unit, a Necron 
Warrior in a Suit, like the Centurions. He had been told those were new 
Necron Destroyers.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/01/breaking-40k-starter-boxed-set-details.html

ahhh memories :D 

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/b/bf/2nd_Edition_Set.jpg/350px-2nd_Edition_Set.jpg

We have already talked a bit about the first half of the year, and now we have word of perhaps the key product of the Q3-4 - An updated Warhammer 40,000 boxed set. Here are the details:

Launch Window - @September

Rules Summary: Updated Mini-rulebook contains FAQs, minor tweaks and clarifications, and much of Stronghold Assault rolled into a new shiny package.

Miniatures included: @70

Armies:

Blood Angels (plastic quick assembly)

- Assault Marine Squad

- Tactical Marine Squad

- Death Company Squad

- Captain (kitted out for assault)

- Chaplain

- Sanguinary Priest (limited edition, similar to the Dark Vengeance mini was)

Orks (plastic quick assembly)

- 'Ardboys (full mob)

- Nobs (small squad)

- Warboss

- Big Mek

- Ork themed fortification

This was described as simply an updated Warhammer 40,000 Starter Set and specifically "NOT 7th Edition."

You will note that September falls right smack in the middle of the rumored release slots for Orks (a couple of months before), and Blood Angels (a couple of months after).

I love DOA and hope it doesn't go away. In the days of objective based games being able to hold off a 5 man combat squad till late game really helps ensure they will be on the objective when the game ends. If you're playing heldrakes and running ASM it's really helpful to combat squad and deepstrike them. With our re rolls we can make sure we come on after the heldrakes and out of their threat range. 

Mephiston with an AP2 sword would be broken IMO. He's already super awesome with AP3. I really hope he retains his powers or is given a jump pack, otherwise he won't be the cornerstone he once was. 

I hope to see Red thirst get reworked in a way we get it in every game. It's frustrating our special rule only comes in to play 1/6 times, while all C:SM chapters get theirs every game. 

I wouldn't be surprised if DC lose an attack.  Khorne berzerkers lost an attack but gained rage, which sort of balances out the lost attack. If their jump packs dropped to 3 points, like C:SM, they'd be an awesome choice. 

I love DOA and hope it doesn't go away. In the days of objective based games being able to hold off a 5 man combat squad till late game really helps ensure they will be on the objective when the game ends. If you're playing heldrakes and running ASM it's really helpful to combat squad and deepstrike them. With our re rolls we can make sure we come on after the heldrakes and out of their threat range. 

Mephiston with an AP2 sword would be broken IMO. He's already super awesome with AP3. I really hope he retains his powers or is given a jump pack, otherwise he won't be the cornerstone he once was. 

I hope to see Red thirst get reworked in a way we get it in every game. It's frustrating our special rule only comes in to play 1/6 times, while all C:SM chapters get theirs every game. 

I wouldn't be surprised if DC lose an attack.  Khorne berzerkers lost an attack but gained rage, which sort of balances out the lost attack. If their jump packs dropped to 3 points, like C:SM, they'd be an awesome choice. 

Even if we lost 1 base attack, thats 4 attacks with Rage if cc equipped.  Still very good IMO.  Rending would be crazy good, and would actually make the unit cheaper as a whole because I think you'd see less power weapons used.  I know I wouldn't take any if my attacks had the chance to rend, would still take fists though.

In regards to Mephys sword striking at Str.10, the way I see it, if I'm striking with enough force to cleave a landraider in half, it should be able to kill a bloody terminator.  That's all I'm saying.  I think he will lose his powers unfortunately, keep transfixing glare, and get his stats re-worked, my guess.

I really really hope we keep Mephiston the way he is now :/ He's just such a perfect unit. He has a very clear role in an army and he requires such finesse to perform well. Due to the lack of an invulnerable save and AP3 you have to be very careful about his placement and engagements, but when used right he smashes entire armies on his own. I love units that reward a good playstyle and get better and better with experience, it makes the game a lot more fun smile.png

I wasn't around for 3rd ed, but he's been good in every codex so far, right?

Makes me worried... I also worry about DC getting the nerfbat and losing that extra attack. 1 attack base would make a unit of 5 almost worthless. A few missed attacks or going up against defensive grenades means you don't make any wounds at all and get stuck all game fighting. 

Assault units really don't need any more nerfs considering what 6th has already done to them.

K&F -  Hes been solid in most dexes - I cant remember which was which though, there was one that was " meh" - like everyone else- i hope they do not touch him AT all. I think he's perfectly priced, perfectly valued, and has great options. 

I would consider changing "Sanguine Sword"  to make him get AP2, but half attacks....but not sure.  

Must have been 3rd. He was super cool in 2nd ed, good in the 4th ed PDF and great in the 5th ed codex., specially before 6th ed.

Maybe they'll give him 'smash' just like priests got?

I'm more interested to see what happens to his non IC status if we don't get the mobility psychic powers. 

No doubt BA powers will go random, and we may or may not get a BA specific table. DA and SM had rulebook powers only, but then they didn't have a list of characterful powers in the same way BA or SW do.

Mephiston will live and die on his powers, hopefully he'll get re-rolls on the table in the same way Tigurius has.

No doubt BA powers will go random, and we may or may not get a BA specific table. DA and SM had rulebook powers only, but then they didn't have a list of characterful powers in the same way BA or SW do.

Mephiston will live and die on his powers, hopefully he'll get re-rolls on the table in the same way Tigurius has.

special character librarian tend to have a signature spell, like Ezekiel and his mindworm. There is still hope for Mephiston. That or they just give him the monstrous jump infantry rule!

If wings were the primaris it'd be akward for jump pack librarians.  I could see us keeping our powers, but getting a random table like the other books. If this does happen I could also see Mephiston knowing all of the powers as he is our master librarian. 

If wings were the primaris it'd be akward for jump pack librarians.  I could see us keeping our powers, but getting a random table like the other books. If this does happen I could also see Mephiston knowing all of the powers as he is our master librarian. 

That's a good point, but at the same time, you don't have to take the primaris power if you have a JP, and stick with what you roll.  Then you don't have to rely on wings for transportation, and can use up your warp charges on other powers.

The BA powers are mostly combat based, while the Librarian is mostly a buffer. I'd probably be rolling on Divination and Telepathy for a Librarian if BA powers went random.

Just throwing this out there (and I have an opinion on both sides of thought), but what would the likelihood be that we do indeed get a notable "assault" bump in the new dex, as a mechanism to shift more of the reported BA/Ork starter box (with maybe Orks getting a similar CC boost too)?

Close combat this edition is dead not because we are poor at it or orks are poor at it, it's because the 6th edition rule set makes it IMPOSSIBLE to get there. Random Charge distances, cannot fleet and charge, 3 dice pick two LOWEST in difficult terrain, overwatch killin the model that would have got you into close combat. And when you DO get there, oh, disorganized charges remove your bonuses, that makes a lot of sense... Because melee is such an ordered and well organized thing with lots of etiquette. Hey, no one locked in base to base at the end of a every step? Combat's done! your opponent breaks for free. 

No amount of "buffs" will fix these issues, unless they make us ignore these things. Which they will not. Lay it to rest brothers, your pain in this can only grow.

Insofar as army-wide special rules go, we already have a thread where I've voiced my opinion.

In regards to wanting FC with the old Initiative bonus, I will quote myself:

"So GW makes a special rule, right? Furious Charge, representing warriors charging more furiously than other warriors into close combat. In fact, they make several versions of the rule that aren't all quite consistent with one another, but they streamline it later. And then lots of armies in the game get units characterized by that special rule, because, let's face it, in the 40k universe, there are several units who charge into battle pretty fiercely. All's well and good, people get used to it, then one edition, GW nerfs the special rule, effectively doing so for all armies out there that have that rule. Every unit that has that rule, specifically a rule defining warriors charging fiercely into combat, gets this nerf.

And you think that, of all units to have Furious Charge in the game, Blood Angels units should get the older, better, un-nerfed version back. Because not only do they charge into combat more fiercely than other warriors (hence, Furious Charge), but they charge into combat morer fiercerly than other warriors (hence, Furious Charge +1)."

Again, tell my Berzerkers why they don't get their old rules back- you know, the original Furious Chargers. Don't worry, pretty much every CQC unit in the game feels your pain. But that's territory Wolf_Pack's covered pretty well.

I would like to see Blood Angels get their own psychic powers table, with elements of prophecy, inspiring shame/fear in the foe, angel/inspirational stuff, a little blood magic. Librarians could get access to the Blood Angels table, Divination, Biomancy, and Telepathy. Mephiston could be allowed to roll for his powers during the battle (when Blessings would be cast), getting a reroll or maybe rolling 2D6 and picking one, but once you roll four he's done.

Our characters in general should have access to wargear characteristic of the Chapter. I mean... Blood Angels Captains without access to Artificer Armor is like putting me in a bar that is out of whiskey. It just isn't right, or fair, or decent, or *sobs* I'll keep you safe, Mr. Jameson, I promise!

I like the Sanguinor becoming Exalted Herald Sepharan. But it's unlikely. Massive fanbase hate for anything has hardly ever swayed GW's blackened hearts.

I want Moriar to be in the list. Then you could have him and Bjorn high-five in an Allies list.

Sanguinary High Priests back, given.

Since Chapter Masters are more distinct from Captains now, buffs to Seth and Dante wouldn't be amiss, nor would allowing us a generic Chapter Master option (though this latter is unlikely).

Shrouds and Cleutin. Could give Stubborn, as the shrouds are reminders of the Chapter's heroes and martyrs. The Shroud of Sanguinius could give a particularly angry bonus.

I'm not a fan of Mephiston's latest incarnation as background and the tabletop execution is reminiscent of that.

A Warlord Trait I came up with over here, among others, gets your Warlord a Divination power to use once per battle without a psychic test/Warp charge, just as a straight-up ability. The far-seeing eye indeed.

Some Chapter Tactics representing how Successors express the Flaw or their other characteristics would be cool.

However the Red Thirst comes into play, it would be cool to see Sanguinary Priests/Chaplains get to mess with it. Like, "Teachings of Argastes (the guy quoted in the pamphlet in 3rd): Any unit within 12" of a Sanguinary Priest or Chaplain with this wargear/upgrade/Artefact adds 1 to shots fired by weapons firing more than one shot and adds D3 hits by template weapons." So you could make your shooty units stay shooty instead of wanting to be choppy. Figure it as a 'channeling the rage into something constructive (really, destructive).'

And I guess I'd like to see the Red Thirst come into play in a way that is a bit more in character, ultimately. I know I said I wouldn't tangent into my ideas, but the current execution seems slapped together and underwhelming. So there's a totally random but pretty small chance at the beginning of the battle that one guy will snap (er, way too much like the Black Rage), causing his whole squad to gain rules that may or may not be beneficial to their performance in the battle, and there's no way to play around with it using supporting elements in the list specifically noted in the background to have experience doing so? Okay, GW. Sure. Makes sense.

It seems I have an affinity for bald action actors.

It's a good thing you picked this hobby. What's a Space Marine Chapter without lots of bald, screaming men?

Archived