What 2014 will bring

Theduke08

I find it hilarious that our LGS has found it difficult to restock on wave serpents for some time now - due to them being mail order.. no wonder GW's sales go down if they don't supply the models everyone needs <.<

Yeah, its the same at my LGS as well.  They are always out of agrax earthshade.  Every other slot on the paint shelf is stocked full except for agrax...  I asked the manager and he doesn't control what they send him.  They send him 6 of each paint once a week.  I go to the store once or twice a week, and I'd buy 1 or 2, but they are never there.  It's small potatoes, but I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation.

I'm getting use to ordering stuff online while I'm down there.  It's a little more inconvenient, but at least I get what I want eventually...

In regards to what this year will bring... Lets hope the rumors of the Epic starter box being BA vs Orks are false, and it remains to be the 40k box set.  I could care less if we get a priest model, since most people I think make their own out of SG/DC bits.  Our kits are so versatile for making characters I really don't see the point right now.

They need to make captains worth taking.  I bought the set of 4 finecast chapter masters, and I'm just waiting to kitbash/paint them into something useful.

Maybe a smaller frag cannon for our tactical squads.  Str.6 AP - assault 1 template, rending.  I'd take that over grav weapons.  Fits with the BA close quarters fighting style.  Won't happen, but wishful thinking...

Maybe a smaller frag cannon for our tactical squads.  Str.6 AP - assault 1 template, rending.  I'd take that over grav weapons.  Fits with the BA close quarters fighting style.  Won't happen, but wishful thinking...

I love this idea, really love it. Alas, as you say, we wont see anything like it.

I want our VV to come standard with JPs. Then have a discount system if we want to take them off (I dont know why I would). I think its kinda like going to subway and getting your bread (the VV), then gettin some meats (the weapons). It kinda would be pointless to stop there, I just feel like the condiments (the JPs) should just come with the sandwich with no extra cost (which the condiments don't cost more in subway, but that isnt the point, we're talking blood angel sammiches).

I apologize if my brain analogies aren't clear.

Jay and Durundal, welcome to the forums!!  Always great to see new blood contributing to a positive environment! 

Just a few points though.

Proper English goes a long way when fornulating responses. Please refrain from such slang as muh and tawkin....

Sorry to be a scrooge but these things drive me mental.

From our rules:

If you feel a post is violating the forum rules, please don't put on a tin-moderator-badge from that new box of Cocoa Puffs you just got at the store. Simply use the REPORT button. This will notify all the mods of that particular forum of the issue.In regards to No Chat or Leet speak -- The B&C is an English speaking board, therefore the language you should be posting in is English. While we understand that not everyone speaks English as their first language, posters should make every attempt to post in a legible manner. Posts that are clearly written are usually going to get more replies in the long run

Id appreciate you (as a new member) not calling out other (new) members on their language use in order to make things easier for you - it doesnt generate an overly friendly atmosphere and reads as a little entitled. Rather hit report if you feel the posting quality is poor! Thats totally acceptable.

That being said, Durundal, your post has been edited to remove the chat speak etc. 

Please take a read through the forum rules so you guys know whats happening on all sides!  B&C differs from most  other forums in that we try maintain a very high standard of community and standard of posting!   ( I do get that it may be a character thing, so if thats the case, all good- we wouldnt want to change that about you.  Just bare in mind the reader base! cheers)

Hope to hear more from you guys in the future!

Cheers,

Mort.

A modified predator chassis that gives up some weapons for troop transport capacity with an assault ramp; or a modified rhino that has a forward mounted assault ramp and extra front armor but has some other drawback to keep it balanced.

Why are people so worried about 'balance'?

With Codex Tau and Codex Eldar out 6th ed is already broken. We either get every new codex on the same 'broken' power level, or we spend the entire edition with those two on top. The latter is a far more boring prospect in my opinion.

You have to try really, really hard to make assault too good in 6th!

With Codex Tau and Codex Eldar out of the 6th ed is already broken. We either get every new codex on the same 'broken' power level, or we spend the entire edition with those two on top. The latter is a far more boring prospect in my opinion.

Honestly I agree with this.  I believe there has to be an army at some point soon that goes pretty firmly against the current meta.  It might be Orks, it might be Blood Angels, it might be both.  Considering that there are now rules for shooting at units when they arrive from deep strike, and shooting at units when they assault (admittedly snap shots), assault from deep strike wouldn't be the gamebreaker that it could have been in 5th.  Whether or not GW will go there is anyone's guess, but I'm doing my best to look at it objectively and I don't think it would be OP.  There is so much randomness involved in attempting something like that at this point, randomness that shooty units have to deal with far less.

Yeah, it wasn't a gamebreaker in 5th even without the numerous nerfs to assaulting units that came with 6th. Our vanguard for example vets are only remotely interesting now because you can take them with melta bombs and try to catch durable vehicles and fortifications.

GW have consistently removed any possibilities to assault from reserves from recent publications so I would be surprised to see any of it in this edition. Let's just hope we see something interesting in the coming codex (for any army) that will somehow shake up the meta. 

Yeah, it wasn't a gamebreaker in 5th even without the numerous nerfs to assaulting units that came with 6th. Our vanguard for example vets are only remotely interesting now because you can take them with melta bombs and try to catch durable vehicles and fortifications.

GW have consistently removed any possibilities to assault from reserves from recent publications so I would be surprised to see any of it in this edition. Let's just hope we see something interesting in the coming codex (for any army) that will somehow shake up the meta. 

It wasn't a gamebreaker in 5th because it wasn't widespread at all, but it could have been a gamebreaker if there had been an army-wide rule for assaulting from deep strike like I'm suggesting now.  Of course, as you said I wouldn't really expect that to happen now either, but I can dream can't I?

If I could assault after deepstriking with all my units, I don't think I'd have any friends.  Could you imagine 10 DC charging after deepstrike?

We just need a way to neutralize overwatch with stun grenades or something.

Well that's kind of my point, overwatch along with interceptor is what balances assaulting from deep strike.  With scatter, overwatch and possibly interceptor, and random charge distance there are a lot more variables involved than you would think.  On the flip side the only thing a shooty squad has to worry about when deep striking is scatter and possibly interceptor, and some shooty squads can certainly do more damage on the turn they land than a simple assault squad could.

Having played with every blood angels codex since 2nd edition, I think the current one does the best job at capturing the essence of Blood Angels. However, there is still a lot to improve, especially due to change into 6th edition meta:

-Points level adjustment (taking DC with jump packs is sadly just not worth it even though they should be the iconic unit auto-included in every army)

-BA are master artificers per old fluff, this should be represented in some way. Perhaps (in addition to allowing artificer armor for characters) allow any power weapon used by a character to be master crafted for an extra cost? And while at it, the current glaive encarmine (or whatever it is) should get a strength bonus such as +2 to compensate for 2-handedness.

-BA are supposed to be masters at strategy, especially Dante, due to unusually long life span. Combined with the fact that we can use a lot of jump packs, I would like DOA to be changed into allowing deep strike from reserves starting from turn instead of second turn, in addition to the scatter thing we already have. This wouldn't be overpowered but would greatly increase the appeal of reserving jump infantry.

-I think the balance between tactical and assault squads need to change to make tacticals a viable choice. I would move assault squads back to fast attack slot and force them to keep the jump packs on.

-Remove sternguard (unnecessary competition with honor guard) and vanguard veterans (heroic intervention was the whole point of these and now it seems to be going out of the window). Instead, allow assault squad members an update to veterancy, adding an extra attack (and perhaps WS?) and opening extra close combat weapon options

-I would change sanguinary priests a bit by removing furious charge (the current edition is almost useless) and instead adding +1 A for every unit within 6", cumulative with the chapter banner.

-Change 'red thirst' special rule to apply to all units (except DC) without any dice rolling and giving furious charge, giving that slight strength bonus to whole army to represent the ferocious nature of BA.

-Keep fast vehicles - those nicely add to the nature of BA tactical mech force

-I really would like to do something with terminator squads. Maybe give them some rule to represent their experience with space hulks? Such as boosting their cc skills by counter-strike special rule or some similar?

Thoughts?

I don't want to pay for mastercrafted weapons on our characters if the Salamanders get them for free.  I like the whole reserves from turn 1 idea, and I would love to field my space hulk terkmies on the table, but it's hard when we have sternguard.  Sternguard will stay, as will the Van Vets.

I don't want to pay for mastercrafted weapons on our characters if the Salamanders get them for free.  I like the whole reserves from turn 1 idea, and I would love to field my space hulk terkmies on the table, but it's hard when we have sternguard.  Sternguard will stay, as will the Van Vets.

We will get terminators whose bolters jam ;) there's your special terminator unit

With Codex Tau and Codex Eldar out 6th ed is already broken. We either get every new codex on the same 'broken' power level, or we spend the entire edition with those two on top. The latter is a far more boring prospect in my opinion.

This attitude is not the right way to go about fixing the GAME because when every army is broken as :cuss it won't fix the game being :cuss.  They have to start somewhere, and I don't care if they start with the BA codex, as long as they go ahead and fix and balance everything out there.

Which they won't.

But this codex creep and ridiculous bull:cuss codex upon bull:cuss will not make anything better.  It will devolve into a game that feels like tossing a coin to see who wins.

To be honest, most of the codexes are fine this edition. The only real problem now is Eldar. Tau can bring cheese, but they don't have good scoring units. Everyone can deal with Heldrakes now, Chaos is fine. No real Cheese in Dark Angels, C:SM is fine too. Daemons have a fluke build.

This attitude is not the right way to go about fixing the GAME because when every army is broken as :cuss it won't fix the game being :cuss.  They have to start somewhere, and I don't care if they start with the BA codex, as long as they go ahead and fix and balance everything out there.

Which they won't.

But this codex creep and ridiculous bull:cuss codex upon bull:cuss will not make anything better.  It will devolve into a game that feels like tossing a coin to see who wins.

I actually believe if the game was balanced; no army has any advantage over the next one. It would indeed feel like flipping a coin and seeing who wins.

Which they won't.

I actually believe if the game was balanced; no army has any advantage over the next one. It would indeed feel like flipping a coin and seeing who wins.

Yes, because playing chess is like flipping a coin.

Archived