++ The Murderers' Call - A Night Lords Community ++

Flint13

Okay, so basically what happened is that all of the internet FAQs that applied to our rules since their publishing in Massacre, are now being collected together and being published for the first time in a Big Red Book versus just being an internet publication?

So not really anything new so much as a republishing of what was already there, plus whatever they were thinking of changing at the concept phase for the new BRB?

Edited by Kol Saresk

It was more to do with the changes in 7th that made us weak. In 6th Night Fighting for 3 turns was massive because it meant anything over 36" couldn't be shot at whilst you had potentially +3 cover saves for everything advancing closer. With the 7th ed change, Night fighting is just a flat +1 cover save so Terror Assault lot a huge amount of it's potency. 

Now we're faster and strike quicker whilst it's happening. Add in Konrad and the potential 3 turns of Night Fighting and that's a very strong buff to playing for half the game.

The problem with the new red book (at least I'm told) is that some of the stuff from the FAQs haven't been included like Seekers/Headhunters/Mor Drethan getting implacable advance.

Yeah they need to do a separate book for the generic stuff to try and keep on top of it, the old books are already 3 volumes behind now and it hasn't been 2 years yet. Although I still want a new black book, can't be having my collection sullied with red

Okay. That clears up the confusion. I keep forgetting that Heresy rules need like nine different rulebooks lol. Exaggeration of course.

The new Talent for Murder gives us a flat +1 to hit as well as to wound when we outnumber now. 

That makes Raptors really attractive, given their weaponskill 5. I'm pretty sure only Khârn could do the 2+ to hit thing before. Even our basics have a huge advantage in the statistical stalemate that is PA Astartes on PA Astartes fights. Combine that with Terror Squads' preferred enemy and precision strike/shot... 

2+ to hit with a decent onslaught roll. Maximum 5 attacks per regular with a glaive, 6 with 2 cc weapons, 6/7 on leader depending on how he's armed. After hammer of wrath, that's what you call one squished unit.

Why not just be rude and throw in a chaplain for the rerolls on the charge

Damn. The more I look at Curze - in this picture but also his miniature and other artwork - the more I wonder how the hell the fledgeling Imperium could have ever considered him as 'one of the good guys'. I mean come on, Emprah, how could you look at this creature and think "I shall entrust this guy with almost 10% of my elite forces". I mean come on, dude! Every person of sound mind would think, when Curze would stroll by their seat in a restaurant, "who let that creep in?". But you know, Curze's thing doesn't stand alone. What Empry did with Angron when he found him also makes me wonder if Empry ever read a management book.

You'd think in his life span he'd have learnt some man management skills.

Y'know being able to lead humanity to this pinnacle.

Ah well. Curze does look good in this pic. The book is Gav Thorpe though. Doesn't fill me with much inspiration

Damn. The more I look at Curze - in this picture but also his miniature and other artwork - the more I wonder how the hell the fledgeling Imperium could have ever considered him as 'one of the good guys'. I mean come on, Emprah, how could you look at this creature and think "I shall entrust this guy with almost 10% of my elite forces". I mean come on, dude! Every person of sound mind would think, when Curze would stroll by their seat in a restaurant, "who let that creep in?". But you know, Curze's thing doesn't stand alone. What Empry did with Angron when he found him also makes me wonder if Empry ever read a management book.

That would be a fair point if the Emperor was looking for good guys, but he wasn't, he was looking for individuals capable of conquering the Galaxy in His name, which can be a totally different thing.

Remember, we have *no idea* what was going to happen to the Primarchs (or the Legions) after the Great Crusade. For all we know, Daddy Emp planned to melt them down into soylent viridens to feed his new Imperium.

Let's also keep in mind that the emperor also allowed a dude with freaking angel wings, a guy who half of the crusade he doesn't even know what he's doing, and a really angry guy who lombomtizes his own soldiers to become blood thirsty savages and kurze doesn't seem so bad.

This bat person can point you at the Night Lords Omnibus which contains everything that's important for our 40k selves.

Edited by ThatOneMarshal

*cough cough*Angron*cough cough*

It's not that people considered Kurze & Angron "one of the good guys", it's more "necessary evil." The galaxy is dark and full of terrors, the 40k galaxy even more so, so to fight monsters we have to make monsters of our own.

Besides, the Emperor himself is hardly a "good guy" by our standards, genocide, galactic imperialism, child soldiers, genetic discrimination (mutants & psykers), an unrelenting fascist totalitarian regime, the Emperor's crimes would be LEGION in our world. This is what reinforces the grimdark nature of the setting, even in the Imperium's supposed "golden age" of heroes and legends it's all built atop a solid foundation of trillions of supercompacted corpses from atrocities too numerous to be comprehensible to human minds, let alone listed.

The fact that this god-like, "benevolent" dictator and his nightmarish empire of blood-hungry space racists are still considered the "good guys" says a lot about their enemies and the brutality of this setting, so why would anyone question the necessity of men like Kurze and Angron?

*sigh* Hoo-wee, that was... Depressing. Sorry about that, when I give lectures on the lore I really go for it. If I could actually do public speaking and there were college courses on this stuff I'd be a fantastic lecturer. Lord knows I can't remember what I had for dinner last night but I recite 40k lore for hours on end with near-perfect clarity and all the enthusiasm of a puppy with a brand-new squeaky toy, truly has the Emperor blessed me. XD

Edited by SanguiniusReborn

In literally any other setting the imperium would be the bad guys.

And that's what makes 40k so cool. All factions are really just a different shade of grey, some darker(Dark Eldar, Chaos Daemons) and some lighter (Tau, Imperium). It's like real life.

It's not that people considered Kurze & Angron "one of the good guys", it's more "necessary evil." The galaxy is dark and full of terrors, the 40k galaxy even more so, so to fight monsters we have to make monsters of our own.

Besides, the Emperor himself is hardly a "good guy" by our standards, genocide, galactic imperialism, child soldiers, genetic discrimination (mutants & psykers), an unrelenting fascist totalitarian regime, the Emperor's crimes would be LEGION in our world. This is what reinforces the grimdark nature of the setting, even in the Imperium's supposed "golden age" of heroes and legends it's all built atop a solid foundation of trillions of supercompacted corpses from atrocities too numerous to be comprehensible to human minds, let alone listed.

The fact that this god-like, "benevolent" dictator and his nightmarish empire of blood-hungry space racists are still considered the "good guys" says a lot about their enemies and the brutality of this setting, so why would anyone question the necessity of men like Kurze and Angron?

*sigh* Hoo-wee, that was... Depressing. Sorry about that, when I give lectures on the lore I really go for it. If I could actually do public speaking and there were college courses on this stuff I'd be a fantastic lecturer. Lord knows I can't remember what I had for dinner last night but I recite 40k lore for hours on end with near-perfect clarity and all the enthusiasm of a puppy with a brand-new squeaky toy, truly has the Emperor blessed me. XD

This. So much this!

Ave Dominus Nox!

In literally any other setting the imperium would be the bad guys.

And that's what makes 40k so cool. All factions are really just a different shade of grey, some darker(Dark Eldar, Chaos Daemons) and some lighter (Tau, Imperium). It's like real life.

When I first got into 40k I thought they WERE the bad guys and the chaos marines were just rebels. Star Wars taught me that anything named The Empire are not all that good. :P LoL

I love how you guys all focussed on the 'one of the good guys' point of my post. This was not my point. My points was that half of the Primarchs had serious and obvious psychological deficiencies, and I wondered how Emprah could give such unstable figures so much responsibility and power. Sure he needed guys to conquer the galaxy, so he was looking for tough bastards who could lead (never mind they had wings or other physical mutations), but at least get some sane guys, like ...wait for it... Guilliman, Dorn or Sanguinius, and dump the obviously instable dudes. There's a reason in our society we have psychological tests for our military, right?

*cough cough*Angron*cough cough*

Yeah? That's what I said. What's your point? :D

Can someone of you bat-people provide me with the exact chronology for the Black Library books about the Night Lords, audio-thingies included?

Thanks

WD recently had a great chart which puts all books in chronological order for every story arch. 

I love how you guys all focussed on the 'one of the good guys' point of my post. This was not my point. My points was that half of the Primarchs had serious and obvious psychological deficiencies, and I wondered how Emprah could give such unstable figures so much responsibility and power. Sure he needed guys to conquer the galaxy, so he was looking for tough bastards who could lead (never mind they had wings or other physical mutations), but at least get some sane guys, like ...wait for it... Guilliman, Dorn or Sanguinius, and dump the obviously instable dudes. There's a reason in our society we have psychological tests for our military, right.

I've often wondered the same thing. I mean surely he had developed leaders who were more capable, or at least more mentally balanced than some of the primarchs to command the legions until he figured out if they were suitable for the job. He could have even been more gradual in giving out responsibilities as well, rather than just handing over a legion. He could have seen how Cruze or Angron handled a chapter for a while first.

One possible reason I've been considering, is that the Emperor had more paternal instincts then I initially gave him credit for. Maybe he, like many parents, has difficulty seeing the flaws of his sons, or thinks that if they are given some responsibility, they will cast aside their negative traits and live up to his expectations.