++ The Murderers' Call - A Night Lords Community ++

Flint13

I've played around with it a couple of games and it's definitely got a place in a Night Lords list. I find that running a Jump Lord with Claws of the Black Hunt and the Tip of the Claw warlord trait flanked by 2 Warp Talon squads can do some work. The Vicious Descent strategem is in my experience the most useful on a shooty raptor squad with either plasma or melta. This allows you to deepstrike them outside of the Chaos Lord's re-roll aura and still reliably hit high-value targets.

Overall I'm pretty content with it, but even though GW seems to want leadership debuffs and melee raptors work, the detachment fails to make this any more viable than it was before.

I've played around with it a couple of games and it's definitely got a place in a Night Lords list. I find that running a Jump Lord with Claws of the Black Hunt and the Tip of the Claw warlord trait flanked by 2 Warp Talon squads can do some work. The Vicious Descent strategem is in my experience the most useful on a shooty raptor squad with either plasma or melta. This allows you to deepstrike them outside of the Chaos Lord's re-roll aura and still reliably hit high-value targets.

Overall I'm pretty content with it, but even though GW seems to want leadership debuffs and melee raptors work, the detachment fails to make this any more viable than it was before.

Yeah, I suspected that was the case. We'll have to build our armies like we've always done - without relying on the LD debuffs. I think the ability to get into close combat reliably is pretty good, though i'll be using these more as mopping up survivors from my shooting phase.

Haven't tried the Host Raptorial yet but I plan to when I get a game in as the finale of our kill team campaign. I finished up the first few new Chaos Space Marine sculpts to add to my kill team, loving the new aesthetic! All those skull motifs are so Night Lordy

gallery_104427_14785_651217.jpg

Minor hobby update, I had a few more spare Dark Vengeance Chosen left and decided to kitbash them into having dual lightning claws. The plan is to run these with my aspiring champion model I've got to make it a squad of 5 and throw them in a Rhino with a Chaos Lord on foot. Sure they're not super tabletop competitive but they're so damn cool and Night Lords esque.

Saying that even just rolling some dice to see how they would do they can put out quite a bit of damage against Imperium units because of DTTFE, reroll 1s from lord, and reroll all wounds. If I add in VotLW or prescience is gets deadly!

gallery_104427_14785_256973.jpg

I think I'd go with Combi-bolter and Chain axe to keep them cheap while still having some punch. Terminators with fancy melee weapons just have a big target above their heads and are too expensive to get wiped out before doing anything. Maybe give them combi-plasma instead of combi-bolters if you want them to punch a little bit harder, though that would make them into a mainly shooty unit since you usually don't want to trade the plasma shots for the chain axe attacks.

Also you can give them chain glaives bitz instead of chain axe bitz and most people wouldn't complain. ;)

I'm looking to follow this advice!

Hey guys,

I've got a new list that i'm thinking of building towards. 

Supreme Detachment (Host Raptorial):
Chaos Lord - JP - Claws of Black Hunt, Flames of Spite - 105

Chaos Lord - JP - Thunderhammer, Combi-melta, Tip of the Claw - 129

Chaos Lord - JP - Thunderhammer, Combi-melta - 129

Battalion Detachment (Soulforged Pack):

Lord Discordant - Baleflamer - 180

Lord Discordant - Baleflamer - 180

Sorceror - JP - Force Sword, Death Hex, Warptime - 120

CSM - 5 man - PFist, 4 Chainswords - 74

CSM - 5 man - Meltagun, Combi-Melta, PFist - 98

CSM - 5 man - Meltagun, Combi-Melta, PFist - 98

Havocs - 5 man - 4 Chaincannons, Combi-bolter - 152

Oblits - 3 man - Mark of Slaanesh - 345

Oblits - 2 man - Mark of Slaanesh - 230

Chaos Rhino - 2x Combi-bolters, Havoc Launcher - 80

Chaos Rhino - 2x Combi-bolters, Havoc Launcher - 80

Total: 2000

Starting CP: 6

Tactics: Oblits, Chaos Lords will all be in reserve. On the ground we have basically the 2 Rhinos & Disco Lords advancing forwards with the Sorceror.

What do you guys think? 

You could drop the oblits and get-

Levi dread- siege claw + meltagun, grav flux bombard, x2 hell flamers- 318pts

Contemptor- x2 twin lascannon- 168 pts

486 total vs 575 pts, saving 89 pts to bulk up the CSM melee rhino unit with more bodies, important for a scoring melee unit up front. FW also happens to have a sale on dreads as well this month. :teehee:

Edited by MegaVolt87

486 total vs 575 pts, saving 89 pts to bulk up the CSM melee rhino unit with more bodies, important for a scoring melee unit up front. FW also happens to have a sale on dreads as well this month. :teehee:

Too bad the Leviathan's body is out of stock, as is the Contemptor Lascannons... :lol:

That is pretty interesting but way out of my budget at the moment.

But are oblits really not that worth it anymore? Been hearing complaints about it but i don't think it's that bad.

General theory seems to be on their relative points costs - they are probably more expensive than they should be. That being said if you have them they will probably do a job for you, and can be buffed in ways dreads and havocs cannot - MoP and Greater Possessed have synergy with them. Since your list uses neither, just keep it in mind. Oblits will likely perform, but you might be leaving some potential behind. That being said, Oblits are night for deep-striking, and can get insane amounts of firepower - but again, keep in mind it is variable dice rolls, a lot of people don't like that and prefer something they can rely on.

TLDR - take them if you like them. 

But are oblits really not that worth it anymore? Been hearing complaints about it but i don't think it's that bad.

Well you could drop 2 oblits and take cultists or more CSM troops or chosen, maybe basic raptors as a sponge for the jump lords. I just feel you don't have enough bodies in the list. Dropping 2 oblits would help you out to add some more numbers. 

Too bad the Leviathan's body is out of stock, as is the Contemptor Lascannons... :laugh.:

I just checked right now today and the Night Lords-specific Leviathan body is now in stock.

Well you could drop 2 oblits and take cultists or more CSM troops or chosen, maybe basic raptors as a sponge for the jump lords. I just feel you don't have enough bodies in the list. Dropping 2 oblits would help you out to add some more numbers. 

Trust an Iron Warrior to complain about not having enough bodies to throw at a problem. :tongue.: 

Jokes Aside, I could actually trade the 2 man Oblits for Warp Talons. On one hand, it's great for stopping overwatch and allowing my Smash Lords to get in. But, less shots.

I'm gonna be having dead loyalist marines in my bases, they're going to be ice bases, based off a scheme I saw get lit on Youtube (i've already replicated the Lord, barring painting him)

However, I was curious, what kind of Imperial Marines should I put in the ice? I'm gonna avoid ultramarines (as they are blue) and Blood Angels. Any recommendations?

I ask in this thread, as I'm building Night Lords. :)

I'm gonna be having dead loyalist marines in my bases, they're going to be ice bases, based off a scheme I saw get lit on Youtube (i've already replicated the Lord, barring painting him)

However, I was curious, what kind of Imperial Marines should I put in the ice? I'm gonna avoid ultramarines (as they are blue) and Blood Angels. Any recommendations?

I ask in this thread, as I'm building Night Lords. :smile.:

Yellow gives a nice contrast - Plus Curze damn near killed Dorn before the heresy

I ask in this thread, as I'm building Night Lords. :smile.:

Yellow gives a nice contrast - Plus Curze damn near killed Dorn before the heresy

Imperial Fists eh? I wonder how the very, very thinned coat of blue going over the marines and their bodies before they are submerged in the ice, would impact their colouration? I hope they'd still be yellow enough. 

Hm, so that means in the running are:

Imperial Fists

Salamanders

White Scars

Dark Angels?

Not in the running:

Space Wolves (too icy)

Ultramarines (too blue)

Blood Angels (mimicking the original video to a T is not wot I'm about)

Black Templars

Raven Guard (these too are too black, it'd just look weird.)

Iron Hands.

2nd founding forward:

Not sure. lol

:|

So far, Imperial Fists and Salamanders seem to be the best picks, if I go first founding. Not sure if there is a newer founding I should abuse utilize

If my knowledge of colour theory is not abandoning me, there are both benefits and downsides to using an Imperial Fist. The fact you're combining a yellow marine with a blue one will make for a nice contrast, as blue and yellow are complementary colours. However adding a blue tint on top of the imperial fist might muddy the yellow down significantly, I'm not entirely sure how much of an effect the resin with blue tints would have on it however.

I'd personally go with a green marine, especially if you can combine it with an orange somewhere as you'll end up with a triad of complementary colours. Besides that, adding the blue on top of green shouldn't be causing any issues with the colours muting too much either. You'll also have the added bonus of either having an ironic Salamander death (flamey boys being encased in ice). Or if you choose Dark Angels, a callback to the Thramas Crusade "rivalry".

You could do successor chapters from those on the nope list, they have pretty varied colors from their founders. 

This is true. Chapter Master Valrak told me to do the Sons of the Phoenix after I asked him obnoxiously which Sons of Dorn I should put under the ice, lol.

I'm tempted to do it, but the white colour scheme could be a real challenge.

I find dry brushing white let's me get a decent result with not much effort, and it's easy to make look a bit battered with dry brushing. I Use Longbeard grey and either praxeti or wrack white depending on whether I fancy a blue or brown shade

I'm pretty excited.

My Night Lords are going to be full marine. No Daemons, no Cultists, no Daemon Engines. I'm waiting on a new Sorcerer Model for my HQ choice, beyond the Lord I'm working on, emulating Mezgike's ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vDiP3bZmoM )

And it just lost my entire post, for almost no reason. sweet.

Anyway, I was saying that my Night Lords are gonna be about a company.

I'd go through the full thing again, but I really don't feel like typing out another 3 paragraphs at this time in the morning.

Edited by Lanparth

I'm pretty excited.

My Night Lords are going to be full marine. No Daemons, no Cultists, no Daemon Engines. I'm waiting on a new Sorcerer Model for my HQ choice, beyond the Lord I'm working on, emulating Mezgike's ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vDiP3bZmoM )

And it just lost my entire post, for almost no reason. sweet.

Anyway, I was saying that my Night Lords are gonna be about a company.

I'd go through the full thing again, but I really don't feel like typing out another 3 paragraphs at this time in the morning.

Welcome welcome brother. We definitely have the coolest looking Astartes out of all the Traitors :D I like to use Marines too but sitll have some cultists to represent my Night Lords throwing ship slaves and servants into battle as a distraction *laughs in Night Lord*