++ The Murderers' Call - A Night Lords Community ++

Flint13

Has anyone ever read the Broken Empire Trilogy? The characters in that series are pretty much exactly how I picture my Night Lords. Seems like they fit the characteristics of the legion perfectly, you have brothers you live, fight and die alongside but you still wouldn't trust them farther than you can throw a baneblade.

Hi guys,

i've been directed to this thread by a member of this glorious host of the XIII legion. I'm entering the world of the Night Lords in a... less than subtle way. I'm planning a thramas crusade era force. My current... theme is raptors en mass. I'm planning on running a combo of assault squads and fire-raptors using IX legion's 40k rules.

Here is my current lore. I've decided to carve myself a space on the legion company roster on the first page. So here's my first run at my company lore... it's a little crude as it's early days.

-----------------

+31st Company +

The company has earnt the moniker 'Bane of Tyrants' due to the almost single minded approach they have when it comes to picking targets who represent the rule, or indeed enforce the rule of tyrants. Though the body count is in the hundreds they are credited with having inhumed several planetary dictators. The company was originally lead by a Terran born, however following his death some two decades before the out break of the Horus Heresy a new captain was chosen. Born of Nostramo Captain Herrek 'Silver Tongue' Basarab surprised many in the legions upper command when he turned out to be, if anything, more restrained and disciplined than the Terran born who had won the company a great deal of respect with other legions but great distrust within the VIII legion.

It wasn't until the precursors to death of Nostramo that the duel nature of the company captain came to be both recognised and indeed celebrated. It became clear that he was capable of fierce oratory and constructing narratives that, while flagrant lies, contained enough truth to utter twist the minds of any mortal who listened to him. This talent was used to devastating effect during the Thramas Crusade when the members of the 31st would visit human worlds, convince them that the forces of the Dark Angels were not to be trusted, that they had turned away from a noble future in order to enslave mankind and form an empire of the Lion. Little did mortals realise that the 31st had planted traps of such sophistication and terror that when the dark angels landed up on the worlds to re-secure them they would find villages of maddened half flayed creatures. Often attempts to aid performed by the mortals attached the dark angels would result in vicious attacks by the night lords victims. Stories began to emerge of weaponised traps, where an attempt to remove a person from crucifixs or torture racks would result in large blasts killing the would be savior. 

These savage acts quickly reforged the image of the 31st as a true company of the Night Lords. Basarab, once considered ruggedly hansom would survive the trials of the crusade, but a terrible injury at the hands of the dark angels during the ambush would forever leave him with an agumented face. A silver skull, rebuild into his own ruined skull.

Notes on the company;

- Renound for using a combination of hidden ranged weapons (the Scorpius whirlwind , brutal short ranged tanks (often Imperial army Thunderer siege tanks), heavy air support and large scale deployment of jump pack units.

- Favours a fast and brutal approach to combat, trading a measure of stealth for overwhelming brutality when it counts.

- Infantry elements almost excusively made up of raptors or tactical squads, with little reliance on heavy infantry. Surprisingly large armoury of vehicles for the combat style.

----------------

I hope to add more, but that's the current outline of my force. Any thoughts?

-skrall

Ooooh exciting. Typo on the BL page though, repeatedly says XIII legion instead of VIII.

So glad it wasn't just me that got confused by that.

Pay day tomorrow so I know what im downloading, yey!

That aside if anyone has tips with using light boxes to take pictures of Night Lords can you PM me any tips as Zaqar's photo shoot didn't come out as well as I hoped.

Ooooh exciting. Typo on the BL page though, repeatedly says XIII legion instead of VIII.

So glad it wasn't just me that got confused by that.

Pay day tomorrow so I know what im downloading, yey!

That aside if anyone has tips with using light boxes to take pictures of Night Lords can you PM me any tips as Zaqar's photo shoot didn't come out as well as I hoped.

have PM'd you, hope it helps.

let's not get too far off topic though in case one of the other mods wanders in.

Oh don't you worry. We know what happens here. And my mod voice works better on you lot than Flint's. It's pink and hurts those light sensitive eyes of you lot ;)

Nice job pulling it back though.

Lastly, any reviews on the French NL novel? Without any comparisons to A D-B writing too please :tu:

Theres a spoiler post in the AoD forums, if you want to check that out.  THOUGH BE FOREWARNED, THERE IS NO SPOILER TAG/BLOCK.

General consensus I seem to be feeling is overall positive.

That's good to hear. It can be tough when you get an excellent author writing so much to then read stuff from a different author. Can just imagine the look on his face. "Follow those stories by A D-B that have captivated fans of the Legion know for terror tactics and setting examples in the blood of the guilty. They'll kill me if I get it wrong!".

Does the story fit the heresy-era lord stuff thus far? I know a few of the novels to date have jarred with short stories by other authors. A good example being rob sanders iron warriors vs mcneills iron warriors. Rob pitched them slightly differently from what you expect which i liked, where as mcniell tried to build on his 40k work and, i think, slightly mis-judged it. I say this because his 40k iron warriors (i.e honsou) are completely different from the HH iron warriors. I don't get a lot of time for the e-books so i try to avoid them if they don't posses a redeaming quality (i.e being more than a 3000 word tax)

-skrall