++ The Murderers' Call - A Night Lords Community ++

Flint13

"Under fire," Cyrion voxed to the Covenant. He sounded amused.

"Barely," Septimus's master amended.

"I've got this one," Xarl said, rising out of cover, his bolter in his fist. On the side of the lander, the single weapon detonated under the kiss of the explosive bolt shell.

"Another glorious victory," Cyrion chuckled in the silence that fell afterwards.

My initial thoughts: Are these space marines? ... they seem... hilarious. These are the space marines that I want to play! Gawd, I hope the rest of the novel is like this!

and it was. And it was *awesome*

Indeed part of the reason why I am a devout Chaos Space Marines player. Our marines have a wealth of dimensions to their characters, they have emotions which struggle to understand, they are more spontaneous than the thin-blooded loyalists and they do have a character, they are not simply geneforged warrior-monks. Also since many come form a very different age, an age where a marine was allowed to have a personality, cherished in fact if he had one, if he dared to be unique in a legion of almost hundred thousand brothers, it is very much part of the appeal the Chaos Space Marines have for me. 

I agree ADB did a marvelous job so far with the Night Lord series, I can't wait to finish Blood Reaver in order to move to the next book, it keeps and keeps taking me back to the core concepts of the 40k universe, to the actual grimdark, the true Warhammer I grew up to love. Yes indeed one feels sympathetic to the Night Lords in the novel, not so far in my case to collect them, but I do love to read the characters evolve, mature in the book. 

As I have said ample times. A Chaos Space Marine is not just a follower of the Dark Gods, or just a space marine, he is so much more, he has a very tragic story behind him, he has a very specific character and more often than not he comes form another age, he fought and bled for another Imperium. It is all this layers of characterization, all this aspects of a single chaos space marine that define for me the concept of our faction, and are the reason why I love this Warhammer 40k faction so much. 

Hey guys and gals, I'm new to Bolter and Chainsword but have been on youtube and facebook a little while doing pre heresy night lords vids and models. Has anyone picked Malcharion yet as i've sculpted a mini for him? Also thought i'd through a pic up of what my army looked like a year ago and it has gotten bigger since then.

night lords legion

Ok, more feedback. I have read Blood Reaver.

Vote: 8/10

A great novel to read and a novel which gets quickly into the meat of things. I love how the characters improve and mature in the book, we learn more facets of them, more on the tiered society of Nostramo and more on the Night Lords themselves. Hell's Iris was a great part of the book since it presented a "working" society of Chaos, a star port, a community, a protectorate and so much more. The parts with the Red Corsairs apothecary were my favorite indeed, especially his introduction when after he harvests his patient he deals with two of his brothers in a quick and efficient manner. Not only that, the stealing of pregnant women was an eye opener, and I have thought now that is a way how things work... 

A special mention goes to the event when "legion business" is called into play. The moment where we learn that when slaves do not follow the cultural mores and laws of their microsociety is legion business time. The way Talos ordered Septimus to stay put while he goes to deal with the thieving scum in the bowels of the ship spoke volumes to me. We have a society which formed its own laws, which is very much integral to a warband as the warband is integral to its security and when the scum is not playing by rules (stealing everything from a merchant, something would be passable, everything is intolerable) or fails to integrate in this little microcosmos aboard the Covenant, it is indeed legion business, and time to met out some of the infamous Night Lords justice... I must say I enjoyed that part a lot because of the many ramifications it has and it is a theme close to my heart as a jurist. 

A particular part which is indeed a very important thing to read for every CSM player out there is how the mortal serfs and slaves are integral to the workings of a warband. If Septimus would not fly down to save the sorry ceramite arses of First Claw they would be dead several times in the book and this really shows how integral and valued a well trained slave can be to their astartes overlords. Same example with the lieutenant aboard the bridge when Lucoryphaus was toying with him and so on. This concept, this view is important for Chaos because it justifies the Slave Wars it justifies a lot of things and while most mortal are slaves to their marine lords I see them, each of them much more valued than their loyalist counterparts. Sure Uzas still likes to gut them but this is clearly presented as a very detrimental thing for the warband, warranting chastisement time and again. 

As for the war on Villamus well the Night Lords were funny, brutal and effective, just how I like my legiones astartes. Their slaughter of the chapter serfs was a nice and amusing moment in the book an a good way to scream I am a Night Lord first and foremost, to all. Their interaction with the Red Corsairs was also a very important thing to read for every CSM player since it presented well how a legion deals with a host of renegades, how the politics are played among Chaos Space Marines and while both are shattered warbands, the level in skill difference, talent and philosophy is made apparent. The traitor legionnaires are indeed a step above the renegades, even powerful renegades like the Red Corsairs, in both prowess, philosophy and to an extent talent. 

All in all the book is a great reading and gets an 8/10 from me since it explains a lot of things and presents a lot of interactions between the various social classes in a Chaos warband. It does an admirable job in presenting some philosophy of the VIIIth legion and their interaction with their slave caste as well it show their preferred modus operandi. My only lament is that the book appears to be a bit too rushed versus the end and because I expected a little more form the war with the Marines Errant in the first place, a bit more of power armor and bolter action between loyalist and traitor/renegade. A chapter between the assault on the Echo and the Fall of Villamus would be enough I dare say. 

Edited by Tenebris

Very nice collection you have there Elstonation.

By any chance, are you the gent that Gregg Dan mentions on his podcast pretty regularly?

I know I've heard of your youtube channel from somewhere before. 

I might be i haven't heard that pod cast, do you have a link for it?

And thanks for the kind words

http://theimperialtruth.com

Here go!

And welcome to the BnC, by the way. If you have any questions, want to get your little slice of the legion in the roster, or anything else, just let us know. We tend to be a helpful, if slightly homicidal, bunch ^_^

Hey guys and gals, I'm new to Bolter and Chainsword but have been on youtube and facebook a little while doing pre heresy night lords vids and models. Has anyone picked Malcharion yet as i've sculpted a mini for him? Also thought i'd through a pic up of what my army looked like a year ago and it has gotten bigger since then.

Hi Elston! Glad it worked out getting in here mate. If you need help or anything, we're here to help. Also, you *need* to show us a close up of Malcharion! 

Yes! Yes! YEEEEEEEEEEEES! He's awesome. I have an Ivanus Enkomi model laying around somewhere and I'm gonna rip this idea off of you.

See how we're both helpful and slightly homicidal? ;)

What's you company number and commander's name? There's a list in the first post with players and their number. Feel free to pick one for yourself. None are truly 'taken', by the way, as the VIII is huge and basically fell apart after Tsagualsa anyway. :tu:  

welcome to the Eighth! the war sage looks good, but i think his sword looks a little wonky. I'm looking forward to seeing him in midnight clad :thumbsup:

Edited by Wicced

Great Model! I like that "skull-inside-a-helmet" helmet almost more than the "simple" skull helmets.

VIIIth is way off for the March of the Legions event, but I am already considering my modelling options ( also,Krell..)

It is wonky the way it's positioned, it's like he's just holding it and staring at it. "Ooh looks at this nice sword!" I would cut the hand and reposition a bit.

Maybe shave off a bit of the wrist to angle it and then greenstuff it back on so the sword is put into an angle stabbing away from him?

It is wonky the way it's positioned, it's like he's just holding it and staring at it. "Ooh looks at this nice sword!" I would cut the hand and reposition a bit.

Maybe he just wants to yell something like "By the power of...", I don`t know..the Nighthaunter? ...Badassery? (And is that even a word?...Sorry, I`m tired)