++ The Murderers' Call - A Night Lords Community ++

Flint13

It is wonky the way it's positioned, it's like he's just holding it and staring at it. "Ooh looks at this nice sword!" I would cut the hand and reposition a bit.

Maybe he just wants to yell something like "By the power of...", I don`t know..the Nighthaunter? ...Badassery? (And is that even a word?...Sorry, I`m tired)

If it wasn't for the copyright infringement, "By the power of Grey Skull!" could still be a legitimate battle cry considering 40K's penchant for strength-enhancing Chaos artifacts that are shaped like body parts.

B'Raass, is that within the forum rules regarding swearing? I ask because I don't want you to get a warning over something so petty as a word.(I speak from experience)

Good point! Oops, didn't think of that. I've changed the gif into something more palatable for the family. :tu: thanks Kol for the heads up.

Today I have finished to read the Soul Hunter series.

Prey - 6/10

Let's begin with Prey, the short story. My vote is 6/10 because it is a filler novel and does little for the characters. Its value though is in the last paragraph where it is presented properly how important is a TDA suit for the space marines and how it is worth so so many lives to acquire it. I liked the snippets passed in the mind of the broodlord as well as a welcome change of pace, a space hulk story with chaos space marines for change, but bar this few things it is essentially a filler short story to bridge some gaps in the main narrative.

Void Stalker - 8/10

An awesome novel and a great end for the series. A thing, the thing, I liked most were the deaths, nicely written, important for the storyline, bitter. ADB started and finished the series and this is a great plus for any author. I would love to see more 40k arks finished in the same significant manner. The book does several things good, first it shows the Night Lords in their element, their true element as fear mongers, their way of war. I loved the complete nihilism which permeated the descent of Tsagualsa, the sheer disfranchised mentality when it came to the confrontation with the Genesis Chapter, above all the unhinged approach the VIIIth legion has to warfare. 

Following that we came to understand a lot about the prophet himself, about the brutality of a brief confrontation like the one which took place between the warband and the Genesis, the price in life which even such a bording action costs and many more tragic, but important facts. I loved the novel because here is a battle, a bitter battle without a clear goal, without a morale, without even a lesson to teach, despite what Talos claims (and he is clearly a deluded fool, inspirational, but deluded nonetheless) and that is how I love the Night Lords.

And indeed a citation is worth for the events which took place in the Scouring, when the 13th legion descended on Tsagualsa and mopped the floor with the Night Lords. It was a dispassionate, effective and ruthless execution of a legion, a very inspiring part in the novel. 

My critique falls only on the last chapter, I expected a bit more grit and blood in the confrontation with the eldar. Sure we see two claws in battle, hear of a third but the rest is left to interpretation. All die in the end but I expected a bit more, especially from the Night Lords in their element, in utter darkness and on the hunt (despite being hunted themselves). 

The revelations are quite big in this novel, we learn that a dozen children survived the implantation, a dozen of almost two hundred, and this is commented as great odds, a merit to the apothecary. We also learn that the VIIIth legion still gathers, and gathered it has to plan their contribution to the 13th Black Crusade. They know that now Chaos is being unleashed like never before, they know that Abaddon is going to steamroll across the Imperium and I LOVED their intent to chastise Ulthwé for their messing with the legion. 

Truth be told I wonder now if the eldar would stink in a similar way to humans when they will be skinned by hundreds in the skinning pits aboard their precious Craftworld... does their fear reek the same,... I wonder...

Edited by Tenebris

Truth be told I wonder now if the eldar would stink in a similar way to humans when they will be skinned by hundreds in the skinning pits aboard their precious Craftworld... does their fear reek the same,... I wonder...

I like you :devil:

We are super human and we can smell Humans pheromones so fear has always been a scent on the air. We don't hunt by it but some of our brothers do Savour it, the debate of our legion Fear the Weapon or Fear the end goal.

(Ruven in the SH books smells Septimus and Octivias desire to mate. I'm sure a non tainted Night Lord has described the thick smell of fear in the air too)

Truth be told in the series it is impressed upon the reader that the Night Lords are almost maniacal as connoisseurs of fear, not just as a biological event, but also as a philosophy, as a weapon and as a metaphysical concept. It goes beyond "stench" it is in fact the medical knowledge of the reaction which a human body undergoes when afraid, the heart rate, the release of adrenaline, the breathing, the nerve synapses firing wild... the Night Lords, even the most disinterested of them all know fear in an intimate, biological way.

On the other hand you have warrior-sages like Malcharion who carved an entire philosophy on fear, a way to wage war, a blade as sharp as a legion sword, a thing to be embraced and used by the legion.

Yet time and again across the books the "stench" is presented as the most telling factor of fear and as I recall it has hues, like colors which a Night Lord can read. That is why they are so impressed when their victim does not show fear, and credit them as a respected person.

But as I have said, fear, the concept of fear, is as much as a philosophy to the VIIIth legion as it is a weapon, a tool or a passtime.  

We are super human and we can smell Humans pheromones so fear has always been a scent on the air. We don't hunt by it but some of our brothers do Savour it, the debate of our legion Fear the Weapon or Fear the end goal.

(Ruven in the SH books smells Septimus and Octivias desire to mate. I'm sure a non tainted Night Lord has described the thick smell of fear in the air too)

Very good, little Grashopper ;)

Thanks for the advice on the posing guys it has been a tricky think as posing the head differently makes it look even stranger but i wanted to get your thoughts on something. Instead of reposing the arm/wrist sword how about putting a dead body impaled on the sword staring back at the skull faced helm of malcharion?

Interesting how about gore and blood running down the blade? I may switch the arm around but i'm going on a part from one of the soul hunter books where on his sarcophagus it had a picture of him holding up a sword with 3 champions heads underneath him or something like that. If any one knows what part i'm talking about and knows the wording as i haven't read the books in about 2 years now. Might give me an idea of how to better pose him.

Thanks for the advice on the posing guys it has been a tricky think as posing the head differently makes it look even stranger but i wanted to get your thoughts on something. Instead of reposing the arm/wrist sword how about putting a dead body impaled on the sword staring back at the skull faced helm of malcharion?

i'm currently struggling with adding a impaled enemy on a Term model...and i fear your model might run into the same issues i'm encountering. :wallbash:  To much going on, on a small base/making the impaled model look "fitting"  

Interesting how about gore and blood running down the blade? I may switch the arm around but i'm going on a part from one of the soul hunter books where on his sarcophagus it had a picture of him holding up a sword with 3 champions heads underneath him or something like that. If any one knows what part i'm talking about and knows the wording as i haven't read the books in about 2 years now. Might give me an idea of how to better pose him.

hmmm if i remember right... isn't he standing with a helm in each hand and one under his foot?

I need the help of my fellow NightLords. Because of the amount of inspiration i have gotten from looking at Machinator's thread FellBlades of Renown: The Super Heavies of the Space Marines , i have decided to undertake the weighty task of converting a Night Lords FellBlade. What kind of weapon load outs would you suggest. Cool factor and fluff, not just competitive choices. oh and name suggestions for it. This can be a completely new variant of FellBlade

Edited by CaptainAsmodai

I was just debating that myself the other day.

Which of those giant bastards says "terror causing" more than the others? 

Are we talking any superheavy "Blade" variant? (bane doom blade storm hell hammer sword in any combination)

I'm kinda partial to the Hellhammer myself. Maybe the Glaive variant if we're sticking to HH. Volkites are one of my favs, and turning some poor schmuck into a jet of flames and ash seems pretty terrifying to me ^_^

I was just debating that myself the other day.

Which of those giant bastards says "terror causing" more than the others? 

Are we talking any superheavy "Blade" variant? (bane doom blade storm hell hammer sword in any combination)

I'm kinda partial to the Hellhammer myself. Maybe the Glaive variant if we're sticking to HH. Volkites are one of my favs, and turning some poor schmuck into a jet of flames and ash seems pretty terrifying to me :happy.:

Too be honest Flint im looking at making our own Night Lord exclusive blade variant, thats why i said any weapons :biggrin.: