...and here's the last of the three sisters, the Spinner. She's a slightly more involved conversion compared to the others as her head is entirely converted; I took the chain hand from the Talos and made it into a mouth, sticking a couple of Tyranid adrenal glands on top to start off the skin covering of the head and then filling in the gaps with greenstuff. I wanted to keep the triclops look of the other two sisters, so for the smaller eyes I found a couple of gems (I think they were from a High Elf bit) that were about the right size, and then for the big central eye I just did a pressmould. I'm pleased with the result; when painted up it should have a clear kinship to the other two heads, while remaining distinct.  It's difficult to tell given the other arms and so on, but she has a series of smaller hooked chains dangling down from her body, one of which with an impaled torso on it.  

Admech61.jpg

Now they're done, the next job is to put on some paint! Watch this space...

I was wondering how you were going to represent the spinner, the hooks and chains does that very well especially those ensnared in them.

I especially love the different path to chaos that you've shown in these figures. Rather than the standard arrogance and unrestrained curiosity mad-science path instead by using corrupted mythic archetypes filled with classical symbolism gone awry you've shown that the mystical side of the Mechanicum can also fall which i think is a really valuable contribution to representing the full possibilities of the Dark Mechanicum.

@Battybattybats: Thanks, that's completely what I was going for; I think part of the wonderful weirdness of Mars isn't the super-science so much as the mysticism that goes hand in hand with it, and to neglect the latter is to miss out on a big part of the fun.

And speaking of which... I have progress to show! Firstly, the Trimorphe now has paint to show; I've spent part of today sorting out their skin. I'm pleased how the addition of paint has really tied them together, especially in terms of concealing where the original resin ends and the greenstuff begins. Next up, the metallics.

Admech62.jpg

Is there any interest in me doing a tutorial for the icky bruised skin?

Now, I do have something else to show. As you may remember, the background for the three abominations above is that they were the temple-maids for one of the Martian Oracles. The Oracle began to fail, and worshippers stopped making the journey; the temple-maids got desperate, and in order to ressurect their livelihood they did something rather silly...

This is Algaliarept the Pantomath, the Greater Daemon who has possessed the Oracle. Algaliarept is an Infovore, sucking information out of everything he touches and leaving any mortals foolish enough to get in the way withered husks drained of all understanding, Last Crusade style. Obviously he has quite a large part to play in the Death of Knowledge during the Martian Schism, especially once he gains access to some of the red planet's librariums...

Algaliarept is quite a way from being done yet- his neck needs particular work and his back isn't done either; but you hopefully get a sense of how he'll turn out. He's based on a highly de-tyranidified Malanthrope; I loved all the icky biological stuff going on on his underside (which you can't really see in the photo) and felt that it'd mesh quite nicely with the mechanical stuff I'm gradually adding. Scale-wise he's a big chap too- his adherents barely come up to his waist (not that he has a waist really, but you know what I mean...)

Admech63.jpg

More soon when the greenstuff cures...

Not gonna lie, I love a man who looks at the Malanthrope kit and goes 'You know what? I can make that more terrifying!' and then does so. That looks amazing. How the hell are you gonna base it though?

Dragonlover

What. The. Meatballs. I thought you were done with the sisters but oh no, you had to have something bigger and nastier in the works. I can't wait to see him further modified. I assume there's going to be pipes and stuff everywhere, right? 

I'm really glad people like Algaliarept! He's been fun to make; I've never converted such a large individual model before really, especially one that's fleshy rather than a vehicle, so it's been quite an education. Here are some more detail photos showing where I currently am with him now thart the light's a bit better.

Admech64.jpg

As you can see, I'm trying to replace most of the original Tyranid upper carapace shell with flesh. This has the handy effect of concealing the model's xenos origins and tying it into the others at the same time. My to do list, once the current set of greenstuff has cured, is firstly to tidy and conceal the join between the original body and the new mechandrite on the bottom, then to sort out the neck and the head-torso join, then finally to bulk out the fleshy underside so that there isn't a gap between it and the carapace.

The finished model will also have an unfortunate Skitarius attached to one of the large "arms", hanging limply as the contents of his mind- memories, knowledge, even the psychic potential of what might have been - are ingested by the daemon.

@Dragonlover- the plan with the base is to go for a similar Martian theme to the pilgrims; this is practical as well as fitting for the background, as it means I can weigh things down and lower the centre of gravity by placing a big rock on there. As you may have noticed, the end of Algaliarept's body has a prehensile foot; I've found a suitable stone that allows it to be placed with lots of contact for glue, while at the same time looking like it's gripping on. I'm hoping that it should be quite stable; the weak point really is where the resin biological part from the Malanthrope meets the plastic mechandrite, but it's pinned, so fingers crossed...

@Olis- I'm not going to add too many more pipes; as you can see, the original model already has plenty, and in the place that I'd already have added them. I think if I put too many more in, it'll obscure what's going on elsewhere in the model.

So, Algaliarept is completed! At least in assembly terms, anyhow; he's currently primed and ready for some paint. Here's a few shots from before the spray came out...

Admech65.jpg

He's a big guy! Here's a comparison photo with him, one of the Trimorphe, and an unfortunate member of the Imperial army (more of which in a second);

Admech68.jpg

Now, in the original photo you might have noticed the presence of a poor Skitarius having his essence sucked out of him; here's a photo of the guy. 

Admech66.jpg

But having made and basecoated him, @Depthcharge12 made me think... and this is why I love this forum; you guys always give me excuses to spend more money inspiration to try cool things! So the Skitarius has been consigned back to the bits box, and I'm working on some hard-bitten, green-armoured Jovian Grenadiers for Algaliarept to menace. There will eventually be three, but here's the first; remind you of anyone?

Admech67.jpg

Needless to say, when based he'll look a bit more like he's running. Next up, a casualty to replace the Skitarius and a hardbitten (small m) marine who is levelling an unfeasibly large energy weapon at the oncoming foe...

Progress time!

First off, we have some slightly panicked Jovian Grenadiers.

Admech69.jpg

They're crack troops though, so whatever they're shooting at isn't neccesarily that much of a threat...

Admech70.jpg

Ah- not sure a BFG is going to do much, here.

This is Algaliarept the Infovore, summoned to possess the Pantomath of Abalos in the days before the Martian Schism and responsible, thanks to his insatiable appetite, for much of the loss of knowledge during the dark times of the Great Betrayal.

Admech71.jpg

Here are a few detail shots.

Admech72.jpg

Hopefully his faithful adherents the Trimorphe will be hot on his heels...

He is TERRIFYING! Those grenadiers are braver men than I. 

You have done a great job of creating something instantly recognisable as chaos, but admech too. I wouldn't be able too tell it was made from a tyranid, either!

I look forward to seeing the rest.

Archived