IHF's HH Designs [08/04 Ironwrought/Praevian Consul]

Yeah, the Avenger would really step on the toes of the Quad Heavy Bolter - the Grendel is basically a mobile support weapon platform. Plus, its supposed to be from early in the great crusade, so it's not the most advanced vehicle - if you really think about it, for each version you can easily take a better alternative.- it's open topped & not super heavily armored.

The Land Raider Achilles is way better for the Thudd Gun; the Standard Predator has the same RoF for its autocannon, with longer range, better armour & sponson lascannons are better than the missiles; the Quad Heavy Bolter is kinda useless but it looks cool & you can get 2 laser destroyers + hardcore armour + transport capacity with the spartan.

When I write up some fluff for it, it'll have stuff about the Grendel gradually becoming less used as the Legions got more advanced vehicles - but its there for fluff & the rule of cool, plus it has a small niche nothing else occupies at the moment.

In terms of the avenger on the Sicaran: A, I dunno if it would actually fit properly on the turret, B the Sicaran is very new in terms of the timeline, so there aren't gonna be loads of variants, C - the accelerator autocannon, apart from being Heavy 6 rather than 7, has way better stats

Also, phase-plasma fusils are Mechanicum exclusive

When it comes down to it, fluff & balance are super important - they're the only reasons I do this stuff - if it doesn't 'feel' right, I won't make something about it

Thanks for the input though

[btw, I'm thinking of sticking a transport bay on the Grendel chassis, slightly like how the Solar Auxilia basilisk works, to make a 6 marine fast vehicle transport for small marine squads - like a very early razorback precursor]

The idea of an autocannon firing krak missiles seems strange. What about AP autocannon shells with some kind of disadvantage? Perhaps limited supply or a chance of wearing out the barrel, meaning that next turn it can't shoot? Or perhaps it just can't fire ordinary shells anymore and the AP ones have a slower rate of fire?

The idea of an autocannon firing krak missiles seems strange. What about AP autocannon shells with some kind of disadvantage? Perhaps limited supply or a chance of wearing out the barrel, meaning that next turn it can't shoot? Or perhaps it just can't fire ordinary shells anymore and the AP ones have a slower rate of fire?

Its actually based on a relatively common feature of modern MBT main guns, which don't have rifling to enable them to launch anti-armour missiles as well as modified shells (e.g http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT-11_Sniper ). The krak missiles used by Astartes seem to be approximately the correct size to be fired from a modified autocannon (it would have a slightly widened muzzle), and if normal autocannon shells were used, their range would be reduced as the lack of rifling would reduce their stability. 

Bit late to this party but...this work is fantastic. .truly a joy to look through and read..

I love the amount of detail you have gone in to with this..

I have spent about an hour going through this post and reading how you go about making the images, especially the iron hand mock ups..I even had a go myself, I just cant do it lol..me and computers dont have a good relationship. .much respect to you!

Looking forward to seeing more from you and would like to ask at some point if you could make up a clan Kaargul breacher marine image (for me to steal haha)

Keep up the great work!

Its actually based on a relatively common feature of modern MBT main guns, which don't have rifling to enable them to launch anti-armour missiles as well as modified shells (e.g http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT-11_Sniper ). The krak missiles used by Astartes seem to be approximately the correct size to be fired from a modified autocannon (it would have a slightly widened muzzle), and if normal autocannon shells were used, their range would be reduced as the lack of rifling would reduce their stability.

Learn something new every day. smile.png

So here he is: the final AL marine - Tactical with Nuncio Vox

Next I'll be starting work on dem AL vehicles

gallery_53779_9225_121293.jpg

He's got a different Vox pack for void ops, as that massive antennae would be kinda tricky to fit into void-ship corridors (what do you mean its totally just because the whole aerial wouldn't fit on the page I designed? blink.png )

Plus, here's an edit of the assault guy, because I preferred the black & white Harrowmaster insignia (having the bright version created too much contrast & didn't fit tonally) & I'd missed one of the molecular bonding studs

gallery_53779_9225_70003.jpg

Ahh dammit, stop it please! There are enough Legions which I want to collect already, don't add AL to the mix too!

Lovely stuff, of course, I reeeeally like those last two, although I kinda feel the vox's helmet seems somewhat odd on a MkIV armor... It's a great helmet, don't get me wrong, just feels like it'd be more suited on a MkIII suit...

I like the full body shot of the Vox Guy. The Helmet only pic came up next to the Word "Scuba" in my head. Not shaken It quite off , but going there... Looking forward to the vehicles

I hope you don't mind IHF, but I used some of the parts (helm mostly) to put together my own Iron Hands Comms Marine.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n64/UrzaTRi/BURRAKIS_COMMS_MARINE_zpsd95ae77b.png

I think I managed to get the Mk.2/3 Comms Backpack pretty much spot on! cool.png

I hope you don't mind IHF, but I used some of the parts (helm mostly) to put together my own Iron Hands Comms Marine.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n64/UrzaTRi/BURRAKIS_COMMS_MARINE_zpsd95ae77b.png

I think I managed to get the Mk.2/3 Comms Backpack pretty much spot on! cool.png

Yeah, no worries - just so long as I can borrow the cog-tooth MK III pad trims you designed a while ago :P - I've been meaning to make some, put continually putting it off due to the amount of work they seem.

Good work with the pack thumbsup.gif

Sure thing - here you go!

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n64/UrzaTRi/MK3_CRENELATED_PAULDRON_RIM_03_zps059a2f56.png

I just overlaid that rim over the standard Iron Hands pauldrons.

Forgive me I'm going off track, but do you know of a chain symbol? My Word Bearers Chapter is called the Chapter of the Fractured Chain, it's a circular chain (like a necklace chain) but with a break it in at the top.

Hmmmm - there are a couple of chain-based insignia on the Alphas in Extermination, but they're really too small to use. There's also a crossed chain on the forearm of a World Eater Assault Marine from Betrayal, but your best bet is the looped chain on this guy's waist - it may not be an insignia, but its pretty high res, so you should be fine, and it'd take some editing, but its already a semi-circle.

Cough*youshoulddoa1stlegionjetbikesquad*CoughCough

Sorry I had something stuck in the back of my throat tongue.png

Gah, why do people need to keep asking for specific stuff - I can't do everything y'know :P

The structure I'm currently pursuing is based around each of the 5 Orders, + the 2 Armoured Echelons. This means each will include stuff about their members, and also their opponents at the time of the Massacre, and their allies, which makes:

5th Order (current) - Alpha Legion & Legio Crucius

4th Order - Night Lords & Imperial Guard / Navy

3rd Order - White Scars (Order not present at Isstvan V)

2nd Order - Word Bearers & Death Guard

1st Order - Salamanders, Raven Guard, Iron Warriors, World Eater, Sons of Horus

1st Armoured Echelon - Mechanicum (Departed system before engagement)

2nd Armoured Echelon - Salamanders, Emperor's Children

However, I may be adding a 'notable campaigns' section, with brief details of campaigns during the Great Crusade alongside other Legions.

But there's a helluva lot to get through, so I'm not promising anything. Besides, if it isn't structured, then its disorder, and disorder is merely a synonym for Chaos - and we wouldn't want that, would we?

Archived