IHF's HH Designs [08/04 Ironwrought/Praevian Consul]

Huh, turns out the Xth Legion has Moritats too. Although something tells me these guys are somewhat less concerned with stealth....

gallery_53779_9225_63094.png

"Flee. Or don't. When I tear your spine from your twitching carcass, I doubt it will make much difference."

- Multi-band vox broadcast attributed to Clan Brannsar Moritat, Xth Legion, cleansing of the Shallar Steppe

Damn, that's cool. That'd make a killer tattoo.

My thoughts exactly.

One of the reasons I wanted to join scout sniper was to get a tattoo with a grim reaper holding a long rifle with a scythe on the end.

Smexy.

I always picture Iron Hands Moritats as being the cold blooded enforcers of their Clan Commanders, charged with ensuring that orders are followed and discipline is maintained. Enforcers, taskmasters and merciless killers.

Amazing picture, loving the menace that oozes from it.

Funnily enough, that's almost exactly the polar opposite of how they work in Brannsar.

From what Massacre states about the Xth Legion's chain of command, and the brutal discipline enacted within it (as in, a commander reserves the right to summarily execute anyone under him), these Moritats are those who have fallen foul of this hierarchy. Basically, becoming a Moritat is a stay of execution - where a Legionary would be punished with death, there is an alternative - join the Moritat Clades, forever cursed to be an unknown outsider. Whether they disobeyed a direct order, or lost an honour duel, these warriors are stricken from the Clans' records - they become walking ghosts. Whilst a warrior executed would still be recorded for his past accomplishments, for choosing life, all of the Moritats' history is erased - they chose life in ignominy over death in glory.

So life is all they have, and some will throw it away, whilst others will commit unspeakable atrocities in the name of survival.

Wow..that Moritat is just mean!..seriously mean! Great work again!...might just have to steal that pic for my avatar..with your permission of course? Cant wait to see more

Thanks, and yeah of course, you're more than welcome to, although, given your current pic - might I suggest this as an alternative? Don't think its been claimed, it perfectly captures the Iron Tenths' brutality, and its - well, official :P

I always picture Iron Hands Moritats as being the cold blooded enforcers of their Clan Commanders, charged with ensuring that orders are followed and discipline is maintained. Enforcers, taskmasters and merciless killers.

Amazing picture, loving the menace that oozes from it.

Funnily enough, that's almost exactly the polar opposite of how they work in Brannsar.

From what Massacre states about the Xth Legion's chain of command, and the brutal discipline enacted within it (as in, a commander reserves the right to summarily execute anyone under him), these Moritats are those who have fallen foul of this hierarchy. Basically, becoming a Moritat is a stay of execution - where a Legionary would be punished with death, there is an alternative - join the Moritat Clades, forever cursed to be an unknown outsider. Whether they disobeyed a direct order, or lost an honour duel, these warriors are stricken from the Clans' records - they become walking ghosts. Whilst a warrior executed would still be recorded for his past accomplishments, for choosing life, all of the Moritats' history is erased - they chose life in ignominy over death in glory.

So life is all they have, and some will throw it away, whilst others will commit unspeakable atrocities in the name of survival.

Without wanting to stomp on your fantastic Clan background material - isn't that what the Medusan Immortals are? ie Iron Hands that have fallen into great dishonour, and have no choice but to join the Immortals in order to redeem themselves with acts of suicidal bravery? No names, no Legion or Clan symbols, just a bunch of disgraced Astartes throwing themselves into the most lethal of battles.

Well, Immortals have failed - whether they did everything in their power to achieve their objective is irrelevant - but they intend to redeem their honour in glorious battle, and can be trusted to hold a position to the last man - whilst an Immortal remains alive, the Iron Hands' cause is not hopeless.

Moritats on the other hand, have willfully disobeyed. Rather than fighting tooth and nail to accomplish their objective, and failing in the act, Moritats defied their commanders, knowing all that would entail. They are given the choice of death, or life as a Moritat, utterly reviled & distrusted - they operate alone because they have no place in the Clan - their only identifying mark is a single X numeral. They have no honour to redeem, and will often disappear at a battle's end, wandering off tofind their deaths - and their commanders couldn't care less.

I'll consider a couple of other explanations for their role before I do the write-up, so this is certainly open to change - if there are any suggestions, don't hesitate to put them forward. 

I imagine that, yes, the Immortals are disgraced line astartes, but the Moritat is a disgraced officer. Something along those lines to make a distinction between them.

Dragonkin, I think that the point of the Immortals is that they can be of any rank within the Legion. However, when they bring dishonour to the Legion, they are given the choice to become an Immortal, at which point name, rank and clan origin no longer matter. All they have left is to regain some of their previous honour by dying a heroic death as one of the Immortals.

(the more I talk about the Immortals, the more I want to make a 20-strong squad of them, all armed with Volkite Chargers!) biggrin.png

I imagine that, yes, the Immortals are disgraced line astartes, but the Moritat is a disgraced officer. Something along those lines to make a distinction between them.

Dragonkin, I think that the point of the Immortals is that they can be of any rank within the Legion. However, when they bring dishonour to the Legion, they are given the choice to become an Immortal, at which point name, rank and clan origin no longer matter. All they have left is to regain some of their previous honour by dying a heroic death as one of the Immortals.

(the more I talk about the Immortals, the more I want to make a 20-strong squad of them, all armed with Volkite Chargers!) biggrin.png

That makes more sense. I don't own Massacre, so I don't know all that much about them and made an assumption. I guess it just reflects the brutal nature of the Hands in that "anybody isn't immune" from that punishment.

Do eeeeet...

I'm working on twenty of my own right now =x

The Immortals though are pretty well defined in their role within the Legion. Moritats and Destroyers though aren't and should, IMO, remain open to interpretation between Clans/Companies/The Will of the Clan Commander in question. My post Istvaan Iron hands are lorded over by a Clan Commander whose will is enforced by his Moritat, across not only his own 10th Legion forces, but the allied Salamanders, Raven Guard, Army and Mechanicum. A cold blooded, merciless killer who is only kept around for his loyalty to the Commander and his ability to enforce and kill.

At least, that's how it's going in my particular force. The Dropsite Massacre is a -really- good catalyst for 10th Legion players to put their own spin on things as the Legion shatters!

• 2 weeks later...

Clewz' recent thread on AL chaplains got the ol' grey cells working, and I've decided to do one last Alpha Legionary profile - a Redactor, which will be an XX Legion Chaplain equivalent [thread can be found here - with my ideas on the Redactors' role].

So here's a teaser of what he'll look like - but I'm unsure of which version to go with [if I decide on the 'clean' one, I'll probably add a series of small studs around the brow

gallery_53779_9225_67349.pnggallery_53779_9225_180449.png

So which one should I go with folks, crowned or clean?

Clean for me. It gels with the hints of the XXth manipulating the appearance of its legionaries so that they all share near-identical facial features. Also, 'Redactors' is such a perfect name for XXth 'Chaplains'. Love it.

That looks really good. The studs help with the impression its a helm and not a demonic face.

Reminds me of a 40k short story featuring and inquisitor hunting down an Alpha Legionnaire who was always accompnied by a man in a silver mask.

Archived