The Renegade Legion

simison

It doesn't have to be corruption per say. They would have just had to oppose an imperial decree made by the emperor a couple times, blatantly.

Magnus wasen't sanctioned because he was dabbling in chaos, but because he blatantly disregarded the emporor to his face and destroyed and set back a possible future that would have forged humanity forward.

So, in my mind the expunged legions didn't have tone corrupted by chaos, they could have, but it wasen't a neccesity.

You could go with them trying to oppose the imperial truth, or become a god, or praying to a false deity. Perhaps destroying an artifact or STC and starting a forbidden war with Mars.

gallery_78547_10599_487917.jpg

Okay, I put this page in its own post because it needs some background info. The program Grifftofer used was creating a blank page just due to how the content was laid out. It obviously looked weird and awkward to be going through the Appendix and find this random blank page, so he created an unique unit called the 'Old Souls' to fill it. I liked the idea and since the Emperor's Children have three unique units, I thought it fit. (Especially because the Prefects act more like a vehicle upgrade than a proper unique unit.)

So, here's the debut of the Blitzers!

gallery_78547_10599_329960.jpg

gallery_78547_10599_640141.jpg

gallery_78547_10599_418927.jpg

gallery_78547_10599_138782.jpg

gallery_78547_10599_257029.jpg

And there you have it! The Appendix of the Halcyon Wardens. At least, until I can afford to get some more appropriate art, but that's aways down the road. So, enjoy!

This looks great to, 

Pricing wise some things seem a bit off, but the best thing to do would be to get a couple of games in and see how they play out. 

pricing* Blitzers are a command squad with -5point power weapons, a free 6+ invul, and a free volkite serpenta

The caryana detachement seems a bit cheap, and they should be equiped with power armour, as consuls are, and also I wouldn't allow them to take additional levels as that puts them as super discounted consuls.

I would change Veterans of maelstorm to +1T.  Rerolls on 2+, 3++ makes them a bit much 

Mahtva* is a basically an upgraded 3rd level psycher consul with unique wargeer, and all his special rules for free

Ivan Ruel- I would just lower his WS as he is currently on par with sigismund and sevatar, the two biggest badasses in the warhammer universe minus the primarchs.

Alexandros* level 4 psycher should be reserved for magnus, as logar transfigured is still only lvl 3, and 7 Initiative should really be reserved for the beatstick primarchs, as you currently are just as quick as Konrad and strike before all the other primarchs in combat.

But, overall I would test them out and see what other people say. 

Hi guys. I'm the aforementioned Grifftofer from over on the heresy30k forums. I'm a long-time lurker here, but thought I would actually sign up and try to provide some insight into my reasoning behind the Blitzers' pricing. I have been involved in discussions around the other units, but the Blitzers are somewhat more of my brainchild so I'll just cover them for now.

This looks great to, 

Pricing wise some things seem a bit off, but the best thing to do would be to get a couple of games in and see how they play out. 

pricing* Blitzers are a command squad with -5point power weapons, a free 6+ invul, and a free volkite serpenta

Firstly comments like these are really helpful. It forced me to go back and re-evaluate my thoughts from when I came up with the idea and check that I hadn't done something stupid.

First off I will say that I didn't base them entirely off the Command Squad They used a combination of the Command Squad, Palatine Blades squad and Templar Bretheren. To me these three units were the closest to the themes I was aiming for. I also consider that the Jump Packs option for the Command Squad is overcosted, as indeed Jump Packs in general seem to be in 30k. +15 points per model is a +75% points increase per model, for what is a model with one wound that seems excessive. I therefore used the Palatine Blades points cost  for Jump Packs, it's still a hefty points increase but not at the same level as the Command Squad's. Adding in the power weapon at +10 points is then the same cost as the Command Squad.

Next is that the unit does not come with a 6+ invulnerable as standard. The Protectiva Solus is an upgrade that is purchased for the unit at a cost of +45 points. To me it fit with the 30k emphasis on things being better value as you increase squad size. Initially you are paying +15! points per model for a 6++, but that drops down as you get more guys to more reasonable values.

Now to me that means that we have a model worth roughly 45 points. 20 (from command squad) + 10 (power weapon) + 10 (Jump Pack) + 5 (Volkite Serpenta). This would give the unit a 135 point cost for 3. The Age of Darkness tax for basic squads seems to run at around +5-10 points per model. Admittedly I was conservative with only adding 15 points, but I then had to compare them to the other models that cost around the same.

• Phoenix Terminators ~+2 points/model
  • Deathshroud ~-5 points/model
  • Firedrakes ~+5 points/model
  • Lernaeans ~-5 points/model

Now to me those units all compare relatively favourably to the Blitzers. Either they have more wounds, or the ability to strike in I order with AP2, or stubborn. Sure the Blitzers are quicker, but they are also less resilient (no invulnerable, no multiple wounds like 2 of the above). They are able to move quickly without having to pay for a transport, but they will be vulnerable to enemy fire whilst doing so and they are less resilient to that firepower anyway.

Another small thing is that they also derive effectively no advantage from their Legiones Astartes: Halcyon Wardens special rule, beyond the always regroup at full Ld, as they are completely unable to take any kind of shield device. This was an intentional design decision, but it still needs to be taken into account.

Anyway. I'm glad you guys seem to like how it looks. I've had great fun putting this together and playing around with it. If you have any suggestions as to how to make it look better/more like the Forgeworld books please tell me. I would appreciate it and I'm sure Simison would too.

Ha ha, I think you're getting popular Grifft. 

Anyway. I'm glad you guys seem to like how it looks. I've had great fun putting this together and playing around with it. If you have any suggestions as to how to make it look better/more like the Forgeworld books please tell me. I would appreciate it and I'm sure Simison would too.

I second this. 

This looks great to, 

The caryana detachement seems a bit cheap, and they should be equipped with power armour, as consuls are, and also I wouldn't allow them to take additional levels as that puts them as super discounted consuls.

The price is in contention, along with the artificer armor. I've play-tested them once and aiming for another two games before I decide my mind. 

This looks great to, 

I would change Veterans of maelstorm to +1T.  Rerolls on 2+, 3++ makes them a bit much 

Veterans did use to give +1T, but after a while I noticed that S/T ratings don't really change within a species. (IE, space marines are S/T - 4, guardsmen are 3's, etc.) So, I changed it to fit the overall meta, while giving them the reroll reflects how skilled they are with their tool of war. 

I'll comment on the rest later. I have to prep for an interview right now.

40k Dark Angels have +1T boost on their Terminators, the Knights I think? I do agree that the re-roll is veeeery strong. Look how cruel re-rolling successes was/is on Raktra, or how mean the re-rolls are with things like Screamer/Seerstars in 40k are.

The points on the blitzers seem quite fair. The jump packs are overcosted and in practice I'm sure they come out just fine.

Perhaps for the terminators giving them a 5+fell no pain instead. As it stands it would take 9 ap2 wounds to put one of these beasts down whit any reliability. Cutting that down to 5-6 ap2 wounds is still crazy strong but much more manageable. Again play testing would be the best way to see what works.

Overall the idea is great and I think your legion is flavorful, and very close to some balanced stuff that people would love to play against.

The points on the blitzers seem quite fair. The jump packs are overcosted and in practice I'm sure they come out just fine.

Perhaps for the terminators giving them a 5+fell no pain instead. As it stands it would take 9 ap2 wounds to put one of these beasts down whit any reliability. Cutting that down to 5-6 ap2 wounds is still crazy strong but much more manageable. Again play testing would be the best way to see what works.

Overall the idea is great and I think your legion is flavorful, and very close to some balanced stuff that people would love to play against.

Archived