The Renegade Legion

simison

They are still the II Legion, but the appendicies by Forgeworld don't correspond to the number of the Legion. As such my brain wouldn't allow me to put an appendix number that would be subsequently used by Forgeworld. Thus I went straight to XIX so there would be no overlap with yet to be released Forgeworld Legions (hopefully).

Played another game with the IInd legion versus the new Khorne Daemonkin codex. No pics, unfortunately. The Wardens did extremely well, the Prefects in particular. 

It was 2k. I had a couple of Sicarans, two TAC blobs, two Vrabens, two Apothecaries, a Spartan, Terminator squad, and Mahtva in the lead. ...it's only now that I realized how many 2's were in my list. The goal was to play-test the Vrabens in particular and get an idea if they're under-costed or not. Going to play one more game before I come to a decision. 

If any wants details about the battle, just ask. I kept a log for the first half of the battle, and can remember the other half without too much trouble.

Mahtva* is a basically an upgraded 3rd level psycher consul with unique wargeer, and all his special rules for free

And a free +1 Atk. 

Seriously, I'm embarrassed how I came to this point cost. I went back and read the all of the posts about Mahtva's development, and I still don't know how he slipped by with so many freebies. 

So, at the very least, add 5 more points for the extra attack. But that's easy, the awkward part is determining how much his special abilities should cost. He has 3 special rules, plus his determined WL trait. Does anybody know if fixing the WL trait costs extra? I'm going to try and investigate this, but any help would be appreciated.

I would point his wl trait for free as it doesn't have a huge effect but is nice. Good character, just the cost is off, id actually suggest taking his A to 3 instead of adding it, as by himself he will get up to 200ish and would make him less of "I can do everything" type of guy

And that's an easy fix I'm fine with. Originally, he was the anti-horde guy before Oni Style became one of his abilities.

So, that puts him at 150.

The question is how do I price his three unique abilities. For Asymmetrical Zen, at most, I'd price at 5 points, if not make it a freebie. Since all it does is redirect one Warp charge between phases. Still, against armies without psyker support, it becomes a pure advantage, so I think I will make it 5 points.

Which leaves the other two spells. Giving them accurate pricing is a little more difficult then straight-up buffs because of the random nature of 7th edition casting. Either 5 or 10 points for Restless Conflagration. For Oni Style, it gives +2 AP, and Smash....hold on, that needs a fix in of itself sends Smash makes all attacks AP 2 regardless. Or does it? Well, it grants Smash, but at the cost of Get Hot! & Two-Handed, which reduces his overall attacks from 4 to 3. So, if it was a guaranteed ability, I'd again suggest 5 points because the buffs are balanced with the debuffs. But it's a Warp Power, which would make me incline to halve that, which would put me at 0 points.

Hm. Interesting. Overall, my tentative price would be to make Mahtva 160 points. 170 at most.

This looks great to, 

Ivan Ruel- I would just lower his WS as he is currently on par with sigismund and sevatar, the two biggest badasses in the warhammer universe minus the primarchs.

Alexandros* level 4 psycher should be reserved for magnus, as logar transfigured is still only lvl 3, and 7 Initiative should really be reserved for the beatstick primarchs, as you currently are just as quick as Konrad and strike before all the other primarchs in combat.

The High WS represents Irvin's experience at wielding his claws and fighting most of his career in melee. While I can see your point, both Sevetar and Sigismund have advantages in duels, so I don't see Irvin threatening their reputations.

I refuse to make Alex anything less than level 4 psyker because he is one of the three psyker primarchs, and doesn't allow it to atrophy like Lorgar does. I agree that Magnus should be higher, and I'm hoping they make him Level 5. If not, then it's not so bad because Alex is limited to only two disciplines, while Magnus will probably have access to them all. Which has always been a point of contention between them: Alex's prefers to specialize, while Magnus encourages him to expand his talents.

That and I refuse to have any space marine psyker higher than Alex, 30k or 40k. *glares at Varro* 

I gave Alex Initative 7 b/c it's supposed to represent his speed and his small physical stature. He's not the fastest (Fulgrim), but he definitely move quicker than his bulkier brothers.

I'm totally fine with the WS:7, I gave it to Dorran after all. The high initiative's alright too, it's a partway between Angron/Raktra level fighters and (as you said) Fulgrim's nippiness. I'm still a bit iffy on the level 4 psyker thing though, given Lorgar Transfigured is only 3 and he's supposed to be near-Magnus levels.

Really? I've never heard of Lorgar being anywhere near Magnus' levels.

Going back to the Myrmidon, I've been further counseled that I should drop the reroll invul saves and replace it with something else. I'm hesitant to go back to the +1 Toughness for the prior reasons, but won't rule it out entirely. Giving them FNP would also be thematic. After I'm done play-testing the Vrabens, I'll focus on the Myrmidon next.

Now, for something new. Remember how I said a Breacher squad was on its way? Well, it finally arrived last week, and I've done enough chores that I'm on the verge on working on them. This is the first squad I've ever gotten from FW, and I'm curious. The way the marines are placed on their sprues, are people encouraged to base paint them before cutting them off?

Its certainly made easier but its not really encouraged [by FW]. They'e that way because Casting Resin is very different to Plastic Injection Molding.

Also, if this is you're first time with Resin, be very careful with your clippers when taking them off the sprues. More so than Plastic.

I've only cut out a pair of legs so far and gave myself about a quarter of an inch room for them. Is resin that more sensitive than plastic?

Also, enjoy a little teaser intro I wrote:

Pyrrhicles studied the readouts with the experience of countless years of war. Those same decades now weighed heavily on his body. Alexandros, his closest friend, had ensured that he would have access to all of the necessary juvenat treatments, but they simply couldn't compare to the efficiency of a proper gene-seed. In the last decade, his aging was becoming more noticeable. It took an extra minute for him to awaken, his reaction time had weakened by a half a second, and he suspected his bones were breaking easier despite what the medicaes told him. Twice, Alexandros had offered him a governorship on worlds that could be called paradises, a well-earned retirement. He had refused, of course. He was still the Primarch's Equerry, and he would not let the Great Crusade leave him behind. After the Great Crusade came to its conclusion? Perhaps then, perhaps then he would allow himself to rest.

For now, the Javbun campaign continued. The Wardens were making excellent progress as they expanded from twelve initial landing points. No doubt the planet would belong to them within the week. He looked away from the read-outs to Alexandros, who was in his usual state of meditation on his command throne. He waited patiently as the Seer concluded studying the various strands of the future and lead them to another glorious victory.

An uncharacteristic frown appeared on the primarch's face as he opened his eyes.

"I can't see the end."

Did another battle with the same list as last week. This time against Black Templar and against a much more seasoned veteran. 

It was brutal. 

Though I claimed victory thanks to a larger stack of VPs, he was on the verge of tabling me. I was done to my last Infantry blob versus a BT Crusader squad and an Ironclad. Let it be known, melta bombs can be horribly unreliable. Unless you're enemy is using them. Then they'll one shot destroy your Sicaran, while your melta bombs only work 1/10 times. BAH!

War Disposition

Before becoming 'Lost', the Halcyon Wardens stood as one of the most widely dispersed legions of the Great Crusades. With ennumerable space marines assigned to other legions, diplomatic missions, and so forth, creating accurate records of the legion's strength was a challenge, becoming nearly impossible after the Emperor's Ban. From what records that survived, Alexandros commanded a legion with numbers ranging from 120,000-180,000 marines. Given the time and assuming the lower end of estimates, this still placed the Halcyon Wardens firmly in the upper tier of legions. What enabled the legion to maintain such high numbers were the numerous protectorate treaties established with prior conquests. While each treaty could differ quite a bit from each other, several elements existed within all of them, including: fielty to the Imperium and all that entails and legion recruitment rights. Since many of the worlds liberated and conquered by the Halcyon Wardens were able to quickly rebuild and enjoy Imperial prosperity, so too did the IInd legion profit as well, seeing a stable new influx of aspirants mirroring their progress through the galaxy.

After three battles and a little more research, I'd like to make some tweaks to the Caryana Detachment. One, a +5 point increase per model. Two, removal of artificer armor on a base Vraben, but have it available as a purchase for the same price as a Sergeant. 

My last opponent offered a suggestion on the Father's Footsteps special rule. Instead of granting a blank additional power for focusing on Telepathy/Divination, he suggested that it instead grant the Primaris power of both disciplines so long as they meet the same requirement. How does that sound?

As far as the Myrmidon, I'm still not sure what it should be changed to, only that it does need to change. I'm going to play-test them, but for now, I'll revert them back to the original +1T. I'll play them out a few games, then try out FNP, and see what works more fairly.

FNP could work, you could justify the ID attacks and the like removing it by saying that they're blows of such force/manner that they shatter the shield wall.

[This is true.]

As difficult as it was to estimate the Wardens' legion strength, it is impossible to measure the breadth of their influence. Beyond brute numbers of space marines and planets, the Halcyon Wardens were renowned for fighting alongside a wide variety of allies. Often, campaigns concluded with oaths of support and friendship. Such oaths could be called on either party to come to the aid of the other, when possible. To put tangible grasp on this practice, during the Lek'twi Extermination, The 18th and 27th Assault Companies of the Blood Angels provided critical support to the Wardens' 191st Expeditionary Fleet. Once victory was secured, promises of frienship were made between the two detachments. Six years later, the 18th, called upon the Warden's 5th Company when it was briefly pinned on the planet Labasta. The 5th Company quickly responded and re-deployed half their company from their current campaign to their brothers' aid. When one recalls that an entire Warden Cohort was dedicated to fighting beside the Imperium's other military forces, it should be obvious as to how far and deep their influence could traverse.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, after a two week break, I'm back. I am now done with the Organization chapter's rough draft and moving onto exemplary battles. Going to start reading through those sections today and hopefully have something up tomorrow. 

One quick update: after doing some work on a Great Crusade campaign, I've decided on a pre-Primarch name for the Wardens. Since their signature tactic is to ride assault craft and slam into the enemy, they shall be known as Storm Riders. The name itself is almost a mirror opposite of the Halcyon Wardens, now that I think about it. 

"Roboute," Alexandros murmured as he stood up from his meditation. "We can cease the assault. The Council have just voted and passed a resolution to surrender to the Imperium. The order will be sent out in two minutes. I suggest we command the Mechanicum to allow them access to their communications network. It'll end the fighting at least by an hour."

The two demigods stood outside the Okikun capital city within a command post. The Master of Ultramar was surrounded by aides as he stood next to a holo-display, keeping a close eye on the final campaign moves. The two brothers had made quick work of the Bastion Continuum. Alexandros providing insights and intelligence gleaned directly from the enemy, which fed into Guilliman's tactics allowing them to overcome the network of systems in a matter of weeks.

Guilliman smiled as he gave the order to the Martian representative. "Excellent, and we were able to achieve our secondary objectives of keeping the city's industrial sector almost completely intact. We'll have those factories up and running before the month is over. How shall we split the spoils?"

"Your tactics, your reward," Alex offered.

Roboute scoffed. "Victory came this cleanly only due to your gifts and your Sons' endurance. I can easily split half the planet's resources. I can even offer full recruitment rights."

With a chuckle, Alex recalled the new source of pride. If the latest reports were accurate, the XIIIth legion was now the largest by a few thousand. "Perhaps a portion of the recruitment rights, enough resources to repair and replenish my forces, oh, and a favor."

"A favor?"

Alex grinned. "Although I won't deny the advantage of leading from the rear, I fear my sword-work may have rusted from lack of use. Perhaps you'd be willing to clean it off with an honor duel as part of the celebration of our victory today?"

[To be continued]

Alex's Powers - Dominate

Roboute wins the first roll and scores first blood with the Arbitrator. 

Alex advances as he unleashes Dominate and prepares for close combat with Duelist. Ultimatum misses once before burning a wound off Roboute, who fails his Invul even with his reroll. Alex barely manages the needed 7 to get into close combat (even with Fleet), while Roboute ignores the mental pressure and fires overwatch, only to be blocked by Aegis. Despite a flurry of blows, Roboute blocks them all, using his assault phase re-roll to compensate. Swinging with the Hand of Dominion, Roboute is likewise stymied by Alex's defense. No IWND. 

However, gleaning a bit of insight, Roboute weathers another round, losing two wounds, but is still unable to scratch his elder brother. No IWND. 

Perhaps a little overconfident, Alex is surprised when his third sight is taken from him, his offense slipping as he fails to wound his younger brother. Roboute drives home his advantage by pummeling Alex down to his last wound. 

Attacking first, Roboute moves to finish the fight with his Gladius Incandor. Stabbing through Alex's weakened defenses, the Shield-Lord is beaten.

[You know, I could've thrown 9 warp charges into Duelist, but I thought that'd be overkill. Guess not as I roll 1 success on 5 charges.]

True to his casual analysis, Alexandros felt himself being outmatched by his opponent. With a small, confident smile, Roboute switched from Hand to Gladius after several blows left his brother's arm shaking. For all the speed and dexterity Xiphos offered to its master, it simply lacked the reach of the Incandor. A small fact that Roboute took full advantage as he kept Alex at the edge of his reach. 

Unable to divine the best path, Alex made a small mistake, a forward thrust that left an opening smaller than an inch. For the Master of Ultramar, it was all he needed as his Gladius slid within the hole, blade at the edge of Alex's throat. "You are getting rusty, brother."

Alex sighed as the two brothers relaxed to the sound of cheering and booing. "Indeed. Next campaign, I lead from the front. Perhaps you'll join me?" 

"I'll consider it a favor," Roboute replied with a smirk.

As has become my custom (and to help getting the ball rolling after being distracted for a week with Conquest), have some facts:

Exemplary Battles

SoH: 4 pages - 3 battles

WE: 3 pages - 1 battle (Angron's first)

EC: 4 pages - 3 battles (1 sub-section)

DG: 2 pages - 1 battle (Mortarion's first; one sub-section)

IH: 4 pages - 1 battle (1 sub-section)

NL: 4 pages - 3 battles

SL: 4 pages - 1 battle (Salamander's first campaign)

WB: 3 pages - 3 battles

IF: 4 pages - 3 battles

AL: 2 pages - 2 battles

IW: 2 pages - 1 battle (Perturabo's first)

RG: 4 pages - 3 battles (1 sub-section)

Even in a meta-sense, the Alpha Legion break typical trends.

Archived