Anyway, been toying about with the chapter symbols some people here had asked for, I'm still not too sure of what they're like, but it may give you some more ground for explaining if it still isn't right :

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to expand my Scarlet Sentinels profile post a bit more based on the template laid out by Grand Master Belial for the Blades of the Lion BoA entry, filled out a few more of the segments but a few I'll tackle later, for now I'm gonna get some sleep. Comments & Criticism welcome.

Anyway, been toying about with the chapter symbols some people here had asked for, I'm still not too sure of what they're like, but it may give you some more ground for explaining if it still isn't right :

holy :cuss dude, how did you make those? 

Made a little bit more progress with the Sentinels profile post, added the Battle Honours, Relics, Decorations & Awards and Local Rituals sections, C&C welcome as always. At this point I've only really got the Beliefs and Chapter Champions sections left to do but I'm drawing something of a blank with them at the moment (might just be exhaustion, I dunno).

"stealthily planted explosives" in the chapter tactics section probably doesn't need the word "stealthily," it seems a bit much in context.

"Washouts" seems too insulting a term to use in the recruitment section considering their treatment.

The notable engagements section needs some editing for grammar/spelling too.

However, the big question I had was because of your inclusion of the word recently in the homeworld section.

Considering the length of time that they have controlled the planets, only recently discovering gun powder seems strange (to me). More significantly however, do you have plans for these planets to continue to develop, or will the Scarlet Sentinels ensure they do not so as to not reduce their recruitment pools?

Made a little bit more progress with the Sentinels profile post, added the Battle Honours, Relics, Decorations & Awards and Local Rituals sections, C&C welcome as always. At this point I've only really got the Beliefs and Chapter Champions sections left to do but I'm drawing something of a blank with them at the moment (might just be exhaustion, I dunno).

I am getting a sense from the rest of the IA that the Sentinels's beliefs lie in the fact that they engage at the most extreme range and then once secured, they come closer. Closing the noose on their target slowly and always from the furthest distance before closing to a shorter range. Similar to an onion, they would defeat the outermost layer before going into the next layer. It is a mark of pride to defeat the enemy before it gets to hand-to-hand combat. At that point, it is deemed a personal failure to the Sentinels. As a consequence, every Sentinel and even the Shipguard are expert marksmen who rarely if ever miss a target. The Sentinels are not known for taking prisoners but have taken them in the past, though the target will always be wounded from a bolter hit of some kind (if special ammo is used or not) that would most likely require bionics to repair fully. The least used weapon on a Sentinel is the Combat Knife and some brothers have taken to not carrying them into battle.

To a Sentinel, they see a glorious victory if the Warlord was shot at the extreme distance of a heavy weapon and would most likely have their statues of their heroes posed similar to a big game hunter. This can set up a few champions to those that can make some incredible shots with unusual weaponry. Like taking out an Ork Warlord at 500m range with a bolt pistol because his bolt gun was jammed or rendered inoperative or a sniper shot with a plasma cannon.

How's that for food for thought?

I am getting a sense from the rest of the IA that the Sentinels's beliefs lie in the fact that they engage at the most extreme range and then once secured, they come closer. Closing the noose on their target slowly and always from the furthest distance before closing to a shorter range. Similar to an onion, they would defeat the outermost layer before going into the next layer. It is a mark of pride to defeat the enemy before it gets to hand-to-hand combat. At that point, it is deemed a personal failure to the Sentinels. As a consequence, every Sentinel and even the Shipguard are expert marksmen who rarely if ever miss a target. The Sentinels are not known for taking prisoners but have taken them in the past, though the target will always be wounded from a bolter hit of some kind (if special ammo is used or not) that would most likely require bionics to repair fully. The least used weapon on a Sentinel is the Combat Knife and some brothers have taken to not carrying them into battle.

To a Sentinel, they see a glorious victory if the Warlord was shot at the extreme distance of a heavy weapon and would most likely have their statues of their heroes posed similar to a big game hunter. This can set up a few champions to those that can make some incredible shots with unusual weaponry. Like taking out an Ork Warlord at 500m range with a bolt pistol because his bolt gun was jammed or rendered inoperative or a sniper shot with a plasma cannon.

I like this, there aren't enough Marine chapters who prefer ranged combat to close combat, and this seems relatively logical.

And it would further illustrate the divide with its rival chapter. Something else that came to my mind is that probably most close-combat weapons would be ceremonial in nature and probably be in the off-hand of a marine so that they have easy access to their ranged weapon.

If we could modify the marine stat line, the sentinels would have a universal +1 BS and -1 WS for all entries.

Hum, BS 5 seems slightly overboard: whereas the difference between WS3-4 or WS4-5 isn't that huge (you never go over 3+ to hit, and that when you have much greater WS), BS 5 means to hit of 2+. I'd go with "Master crafted" style (re-rolling either all ones or just the first one to hit, whichever is more balanced)

Hum, BS 5 seems slightly overboard: whereas the difference between WS3-4 or WS4-5 isn't that huge (you never go over 3+ to hit, and that when you have much greater WS), BS 5 means to hit of 2+. I'd go with "Master crafted" style (re-rolling either all ones or just the first one to hit, whichever is more balanced)

I probably wouldn't extend them to a difference in statlines, not enough granularity. Definitely Imperial Fists tactics though.

I probably wouldn't extend them to a difference in statlines, not enough granularity. Definitely Imperial Fists tactics though.

Granularity ?

Also, I'd tend towards your thinking: Imperial Fists chapter tactics seems enough, maybe a slight rework, but keeping the augmentation for hitting with bolters.

"stealthily planted explosives" in the chapter tactics section probably doesn't need the word "stealthily," it seems a bit much in context.

"Washouts" seems too insulting a term to use in the recruitment section considering their treatment.

The notable engagements section needs some editing for grammar/spelling too.

However, the big question I had was because of your inclusion of the word recently in the homeworld section.

Considering the length of time that they have controlled the planets, only recently discovering gun powder seems strange (to me). More significantly however, do you have plans for these planets to continue to develop, or will the Scarlet Sentinels ensure they do not so as to not reduce their recruitment pools?

Okay, I'll remove the "steathily", I was using it to get across that the volunteer squad were avoiding been detected  to make sure they could get the charges set without anyone trying to defuse them after they'd withdrawn.

I didn't think "Washout" sounded insulting, but I suppose that's a matter of opinion, what would you recommend as an alternative?

The Notable Engagements section was written by Tiberius Cato so I'm a little hesitant to alter any of it, but I'll take a look through and see if I can correct any grammatical errors.

As for the use of "recently", what I meant by that was that at the time of re-discovery Anglin (the most advanced of the Trinity Worlds) had possessed gunpowder weaponry for a few years, maybe a decade at most, either way it been around just long enough for muskets to become the dominant military weapons. As for whether the Sentinels would allow the march of progress to continue on the Trinity I can honestly say I hadn't thought about it, maybe it continues and in a few centuries Anglin undergoes an Industrial Revolution, or maybe it stays frozen at 17-18th century tech level, who knows?

I like this, there aren't enough Marine chapters who prefer ranged combat to close combat, and this seems relatively logical.

And it would further illustrate the divide with its rival chapter. Something else that came to my mind is that probably most close-combat weapons would be ceremonial in nature and probably be in the off-hand of a marine so that they have easy access to their ranged weapon.

If we could modify the marine stat line, the sentinels would have a universal +1 BS and -1 WS for all entries.

While I agree with you all that the Sentinels would definitely be firepower-focused with a great pride taken in drowning the foe in bullet and shells before they even draw close I'm not quite as keen on the concept of them shunning close combat to the point of being -1 WS. Remember, guns may be the Sentinels preferred tool but they're still Imperial Fists successor, and swordplay is a big thing among Dornian chapters, so while it's not as celebrated as long-range killing I don't feel like it'd be neglected either, it's just not as glorious.

I had intended to write a fluff segment about how the Sentinels' officers are very enthusiastic duelists, using honour duels to settle disputes like their parent chapter. I imagined each Sentinel neophyte brings a blade with him from his homeworld when he is recruited, Anglinites have 18th century Napoleonic sabres, Caledonians have big-ass claymores and Cambrisians bear Anglo-Saxon style two-edged straight swords.

I like the idea of them still being pretty much all rounders, just with a slight focus on ranged warfare.

As for washouts: unsuccessful recruits?

I'm using "failed aspirants" for now, unless something snappier comes along.

Hey, guys. I was thinking about adding my Chapter to The Liber Cluster. Any thoughts?

In the past we have told fellow Fraters that the roster is full - the places for Chapters were quite limited when the project was started. While it might not be fair to others who have asked in the past to grant your boys a seat, I will defer to Conn to make the decision. Conn's project, Conn's call. 

Hey, guys. I was thinking about adding my Chapter to The Liber Cluster. Any thoughts?

The Cluster is unfortunately full on Chapters. A set number was provided as a limit, and it was the first moments of this project that filled it up to that limit.

However, there are many other areas open to expansion, from Imperial worlds to its hated enemies, and many of the existing Chapters can be elaborated upon. If you're interested, there is quite a bit else available.

The Cluster is unfortunately full on Chapters. A set number was provided as a limit, and it was the first moments of this project that filled it up to that limit.

However, there are many other areas open to expansion, from Imperial worlds to its hated enemies, and many of the existing Chapters can be elaborated upon. If you're interested, there is quite a bit else available.

I can think of a WAAAUGH! that could be a mustache-twirler...:wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Brief update: Still struggling to write up the Sentinels' Beliefs section, but I have added some stuff to the Relics & Chapter Champions sections, with a small tribute to our resident cartographer. ;)

Archived