++ Gods of the Arena - A World Eaters Community ++

Flint13

For completion's sake, I'd also like to post this old work of mine.

I made him four or five years ago, when I started my 40k World Eaters.

Much of that army is now lost, but I still like him, and one day I'll improve him a little bit.

For now... let me give you

Solomon Drakon, Tyrant of Numida, Terror of Daemons, Exhalted Champion of Khorne, First among Angron's Chosen

http://s30.postimg.org/xr7h9lcch/103_1980.jpg

http://s30.postimg.org/qg7djq6kh/103_1982.jpg

Thank you!

Head, torso and mantle all come from this old metal kit, now seemingly oop:

http://img05.taobaocdn.com/bao/uploaded/i5/T1UyXnXkNCXXaG1ek8_100240.jpg

...and why GW chose to put what may be one of the best Khornate helmets on one of the most awkwardly posed bodies is anyone's guess ;)

@ Khârn the Bloody: Solomon Drakon is good fun, though! Reminds me I'll have to paint my own version of this metal model at some point.

I have a question for those more knowledgeable in pre-Heresy background: just how many companies were there in the old Legion? Were these companies grouped into Chapters like other Legions?

Khârn was the captain of the 8th assault company, and Butcher's Nails states that there were only 9 others of the same rank as him. Does that mean there were only 10 companies in total, with each being the equivalent to a Chapter in other Legions? Or are "assault companies" a different level of organisation, composed of multiple companies?

If you know the answers, posting the publication(s) that define World Eater organisation would also be a huge help!

I have a question for those more knowledgeable in pre-Heresy background: just how many companies were there in the old Legion? Were these companies grouped into Chapters like other Legions?

Khârn was the captain of the 8th assault company, and Butcher's Nails states that there were only 9 others of the same rank as him. Does that mean there were only 10 companies in total, with each being the equivalent to a Chapter in other Legions? Or are "assault companies" a different level of organisation, composed of multiple companies?

If you know the answers, posting the publication(s) that define World Eater organisation would also be a huge help!

Really?

I did not remember him stating something like that.

Having just nine captains in a Legion is impossible... maybe he was referring to assault companies, meaning they follow a very particular organisation?

By the way, HH Book 1: Betrayal has a few pages about Legion organisation.

Really?

I did not remember him stating something like that.

Oops! Sorry, I meant the Chosen of Khorne audio drama. My mistake.

In that...

Khârn kills Argus Brond, the only other remaining former captain of the same rank, so that no one in the Legion can attempt to win favour with Khorne due to rank alone. It was the first time I'd ever really considered Khârn to have an actual agenda to his betrayal.

Also, I have (finally) just finished reading After De'shea, in which Khârn states that, IIRC, seven others had preceded him in attempting to talk Angron into leading the Legion, and that made him the ranking officer at that time.

To me, this all suggests that there were only ten "Companies" (or, maybe more accurately, "Assault Companies") within the Legion, and that those are roughly the equivalent of Chapters in other Legions (as per the chart in HH: Betrayal), but then comes the question of Echelons and where they stand in the Legion organisation.

This is what has me confused, and why I'm asking others who may have more of an understanding of the Heresy era if they might be able to shed more light on it.

(Or, better yet, if ADB is able to weigh in on it himself! ...Let me dream.)

Edited by Cheexsta

@ Cheexsta: Your question made me smile, because we've actually talked about this whole messy business of our legion's organisation before at least once or twice -- the matter just keeps getting worse and worse, it seems, with every new BL publication ;)

I think the only thing we can safely say that virtually all the sources on the matter seem to contradict each other. My own humble opinion would be that we can just as well make up our own stuff at this point, while trying to tastefully integrate it with the material that already exists.

My own take would be that the World Eaters original, by-the-book organisation may have suffered during the later days of the Crusade (and the beginning of the subsequent heresy), with the legion's heavy losses, gradual mental degradation and gladiatorial tendencies leading to a consolidation: Mostly destroyed companies were rolled into bigger, still functioning formations (like Khârn's 8th assault company). Maybe that's the reason why only few officers of Khârn's calibre (with command over huge, merged-together companies) were still around by the time of Chosen of Khorne? Even then, I will choose to brazenly ignore that part, at least a bit, because it wouldn't leave anymore room for my own chaos lord, Captain Lorimar ;)

But seriously, until GW puts out an absolute 10,000 page rundown on the World Eaters as a definite source on the matter, can't we just say that these were chaotic times, and the idiosyncrasies and unclarities in the World Eaters' organisation reflect that?

@ Cheexsta: Your question made me smile, because we've actually talked about this whole messy business of our legion's organisation before at least once or twice -- the matter just keeps getting worse and worse, it seems, with every new BL publication :wink:

I think the only thing we can safely say that virtually all the sources on the matter seem to contradict each other. My own humble opinion would be that we can just as well make up our own stuff at this point, while trying to tastefully integrate it with the material that already exists.

My own take would be that the World Eaters original, by-the-book organisation may have suffered during the later days of the Crusade (and the beginning of the subsequent heresy), with the legion's heavy losses, gradual mental degradation and gladiatorial tendencies leading to a consolidation: Mostly destroyed companies were rolled into bigger, still functioning formations (like Khârn's 8th assault company). Maybe that's the reason why only few officers of Khârn's calibre (with command over huge, merged-together companies) were still around by the time of Chosen of Khorne? Even then, I will choose to brazenly ignore that part, at least a bit, because it wouldn't leave anymore room for my own chaos lord, Captain Lorimar :wink:

But seriously, until GW puts out an absolute 10,000 page rundown on the World Eaters as a definite source on the matter, can't we just say that these were chaotic times, and the idiosyncrasies and unclarities in the World Eaters' organisation reflect that?

Hail to that!!! Totally agree. Even the 'sources' we do have are unreliable: the HH novels are mostly stories from one character's POV, and the FW HH Books are mostly written from an ad hoc historical pov, based on remembrancer data - who where hired for their 'art' and thus their data was totally subjective to begin with.

You know, loose canon and all that.

In Chosen of Khorne, though, Khârn says, after doing what he does, "My work is far from finished" or something like that... meaning there is plenty more of old Legion captains out in the Eye.

And he is just focusing on those who already commanded their companies at the beginning of the Heresy, non considering officers who may have emerged after their former captain's death (since, I assume, they conquered command because they are worthy which is why Khorne wants Khârn to do that job, right?) or obviously those who ascended to daemonhood.

Then again, "Company" after the Heresy means all and nothing.

Edited by Kharn the Bloody

Ugh, I have trouble listening to The Eightfold Path or Chosen of Khorne. The accent Sean Barrett uses for Khârn literally makes me drool.

All about those hard Uralic consonants.

But on that note, it does seem like the organization of the eight captains Khârn slays to "free" the legion is chosen more as a thematic element rather than any actual pragmatic use.

Or because writers have a hard time reading someone else's work, or choose to write something from their point of view for storytelling.

The best part about this statement is that it's equally valid when applied to the BL/GW authors and the authors in-universe (see  Augustus' remarks about remembrancers above). ;)

Yes, but GW has a track record of intentionally stepping on previous material. It's not a stroke of genious why they repeatedly do it either.

I honestly don't see how that statement is a contradiction of what Kraut and I have been saying. Aren't we on the same page here? (figuratively - it's obvious we're on this page in this thread :wink:)

EDIT: I'm saying this because in my book "yes, but" means "no". If it doesn't in yours, then scrap this entire comment :d

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

So this is what I've been up to as of late...

http://s9.postimg.org/rzf4q34e7/Full_Size_Render.jpg

Got lascannons? :P

I must say, it's been roughly a year since I joined B&C. I've been trying my best to make myself a contributing member and following through on my projects. At the moment I'm going through a job change so my time is limited. That said, I'd like to thank each and every single one of you - KS, Flint, Vazzy, and many more - for making B&C a highly enjoyable experience for me. 

My skills as a painter are steadily improving (I just invested in some Da Vinci paint brushes to help improve my skills still further - no point in spending $$$ in FW goodies if I'm not going to make them look their best! When FW comes out with their HH master class books, those will be must buys for me as well. 

As for my custom fluff, I know I'm a little behind but fear not - it will not die. I will finish what I've started. 

My next army is already in the planning stages - Ultramarines. 

Finished reading the Anthony reynolds digital short Khârn: Eaters of Worlds..., love it!!

Spoiler!!!

Khârn kicking 6 Astartes arses while been unarmed and naked is just awesome!

Also like the way they "landed" on the planet that will be infamously knowed later on...

Hail warriors of the sands!
I need advice on this fellow. My intent was to create a more mutated world-eaters raptor/assault marine with a somewhat gladiatorial feeling. I wanted him t be more armoured on his left than his right side, but I want to know whether he looks better with or without a right shoulder pad at all.
With:

World Eater Raptor Flail with Second Shoulder Pad

Without:

World Eater Raptor Flail without Second Shoulder Pad

Absolutely with. If you are going for a difference in size on the left and right shoulders, I would suggest a slick, trim-free (or slim-trimmed) shoulder pad on the right and a broad-trimmed one (like a MkIII pad) on the left, preferably with ornamentation.

I agree with Augustus. As I've said elsewhere:

I appreciate the idea of achieving a gladiatorial look, but Marine arms always look iffy without the pads -- at least when used on Marines. So I'd either keep the pads or use something else for the gladiator vibe: a chaos knight pauldron? Or one from the Skullcrushers? That way, you'd get the best of both worlds.

Excellent kitbash, btw!

I'm on my phone, so I can't post a link at the moment, but I started a thread a few months ago on modeling gladiator armour in the PCA forum. There's some pretty good ideas, including a pic or two of a test model by BCK using the exact same method Augustus and Kraut suggest.

http://s27.postimg.org/aawwga1ib/Full_Size_Render_2.jpg

At last, the Javelin has received some paint. Just need the pair of lascannons now. ;)

I tried out a few new paints, weathering powder, and techniques on this one so I can perfect them when I get to my Sicarans and Spartan. Washing a large model evenly... Isn't easy. Especially considering I screwed up the wash mix initially (too much nightshade and not enough nuln oil), so the wash ended up too blue for my likings. Oh well. 

Question regarding the lascannons. I'm considering the following scheme:

Sponsons and gun shields: same white as normal

Targeting system and cable mounting: steel

Lascannon casing: black

Lascannon barrel & details: burnished steel

Lascannon muzzle & power coil: bronze

Do you guys think this will work? Of course, all the metallic surfaces will get some AK Interactive engine oil to give it an extra shine. 

I think that's a great looking speeder and the lascannon scheme would fit it nicely. However, may I suggest going over the white area's with another thinned layer of white? The wash has dried up in patches here and there, which could use a touch up imo. Overall the model looks wicked and I'm jelly of the metal cabling. How did you get that so clean?