++ Excessive Perfection - An Emperor's Children Community ++

Forté

Btw, yesterday I saw, in person, something .... something ..... I can't put into words.

Someone had modeled SIX Slaaneshi Chaos Space Marines on WFB horses, modeled as unicorns, painted in different My Little Pony colors with little freehanded heart shaped filigree.

I should have taken a picture but both shock and awe had gripped me at that moment.

I'll see if I can capture a pic the next time once I have more composure.

My commander in his own words:

"Under the Legion, I was Lord Commander Memnoch in command of the 9th Millennial. I embraced the exquisite depravity of my Primarch Fulgrim, following him to Terra to destroy the Emperor and usher in the new age of Chaos and the Dark Prince's will. I chose not to follow the rest of the Emperor's Children into the Eye with the Warmaster's fall, and instead took my forces to roam the Segmentum Ultima, converting, conscripting and enslaving in the name of Slaanesh. The remains of my Millennial became my Consorts of Memnoch and we continue to fight the long war."

No need for a banner, forte. Just add me to the roll.

• 2 weeks later...

Many apologies DraneceusRex. I've just remembered that I've still not added your details to the roll call. Will fix that this weekend and make sure I am punished for the slip up ;)

As for everyone else. How are the Children and disciples of the Dark Prince fairing these days. Any plans for future projects?

Trying to figure out how to make a semi-effective Prophet of the voices Lord after coming to the conclusion I need a tougher model, and that I hate the :cussing Steed.

Also trying to determine what to do with a random influx of models, and to see if my friend can find my old ones.

I got distracted by teaching a friend 40k and helping him with his new Imperial Fists (Where is my thank you letter GW?). Played a lot of smaller <1000 pts games with him and I've come to really like Maelstrom of War missions and the tactical objectives. Makes every game unique and a lot of crappy units become useful. Even my old Defiler saw good use and often made his pts back.

So for now my Slaanesh warband project will rest for a while. I'm still in the rewriting process and can't decide between paint schemes anyway. Also I was so convinced by Plague Marines in my recent games that I fear for my loyalty to the Prince of Pleasures...but fear not this is hopefully just a heretic phase. Time will tell. 

Btw I treated myself to a new camera but I don't have much to show for yet. Most of my new CSM are still unassembled and my old WB army was painted by 15 year old me and mostly looks the part. So maybe some action shots from a battle but no close ups :blush.: Oh and the Ahriman Sorceror conversion is almost done but since I messed around with Green Stuff he looks kinda messy right now.

Well...I have a feeling that Semper may have something up his sleeve for the near future and I plan to add at least a Noise Marine squad (6 members obviously).

Finished cleaning up the three CSM pushfits last night so I can start trying out some coour schemes. If I don't completely mess up the minis then they'll provide a 6th squad member for each of my NM squads. Which is nice, as our master likes the number 6!

Putting them together I realised just how ugly the CSM pushfits are. Hard to convert too. In comparison the IG ones are much better.

Just need to add a GS'd tongue to one then painting can commence.

I'm already thinking about future units and figured a couple of NM squads in Rhinos with doom sirens on the champions and extra CCWs all round should be good. A nice opportunity for some dynamic poses too, rather than the two current Blast Master hang-back squads.

Hello! I am Sigvald the Signified, I came here following ADB and then was directed here from the 'Other Games' section as a hub for things Slaaneshi. Not much to say about myself, really into the lore, not quite into the tabletop due to lack of funds. Only became really active lately as a result of Warhammer: Eternal Crusades spike in popularity, and started a Slaaneshi guild called the Lash of Loesh over there.

A bit about my character: Sigvald, or Sigvald the Signified as i'v propped him up on the EC forums, I like to think is a fairly complex character. At the moment he is with the Black Legion though his origins lay with the Emperors Children, when Fulgrim ascended to Princedom Sigvald saw the sort of price that came with it...while he still adores his Primarch unendingly, he also realizes that Fulgrim has become wholly entangled in the great game, only as a mortal does Sigvald really think he can wage the Long War.

Already he's a bit different from most Emperors Children who disengaged at Terra to make a mess of the planet, for Sigvalds part he was too much full of spite and hate for that...he believed the Emperor had mocked him personally for awarding him and his legions so many awards and praises only to lie to them about Chaos. As such during the siege of Terra he had already, inadvertently, tied himself to the Sons of Horus as he flung spells alongside them while he pushed inside with sword and bolter(The Emperors Children didn't have Librarians and so Chaos Sorcerers only came around during the Siege of Terra, in his instance he was a palatine blade who got a taste for warpcraft.) and so, when things collapsed he bid the Sons farewell and fled to the Eye of Terror with a noticeably smaller amount of slaves and plunder then his rivals.

After the Slave Wars and the splintering of the legion he realized the awful truth that it was unlikely the Emperors Children in their current state could hope to launch any sort of coordinated war on the Imperium, and if he wanted to fight them effectively he had one choice: The Black Legion. It wasn't an easy choice, he despised the Children of Torment just as much as his fellows, but he didn't feel he had much for options. So he decided to wear the black after laying low enough for the heat to die down. From then on i'v got a number of things like how he grew to admire the torments Zagathean the Broken inflicted on the Agri World of Valesia and how he may or may not of assisted in knocking Devram Korda out of Sarora with his rival Emperors Children Warband(If he could get away with it, he almost certainly would.) and other brief mentions to background events like that.

Essentially he's a Black Legionnaire that is waiting for the perfect moment to repaint his armor, Arkhona is that chance.

With so many factions involved, indeed *way more* factions then most other Warhammer games, it stands to reason not only is the land going to be rife with ancient technology but soon a lot of geneseed as the loyalists are fought from four different directions at once. While he does legitmently enjoy lighting fast attacks, the guilds reliance on them is in part an excuse to be the first to harvest from the battlefield. The hope is for his own personal warband to swell in such size that the Emperors Children(And the ragtag groups of other Slaaneshi Warbands and undivided that choose to come along for the ride.) are able to contribute majorly to the Black Crusade, too big for Abaddon to punish him for his treachery easily, and too small and/or out of the way for him to really focus on it besides. He just wants to worship his Primarch ins peace again regardless of if he's paying attention, and for the Emperors Children to regain their reputation as some of the most vicious and organized Mofos on that side of the galaxy. When the Black Crusade ends and the curtain falls, he wants a billion words to whisper of how his legion brought almost as much terror to the Solar Systems as Abaddon.

Annnnnnnnd that's my extremely lengthy and contrived reason for Sigvald being Black Legion and not a member of the Emperors Children! he'll of course 'repaint' himself once the EC subfaction becomes available.

Edited by Loesh

Welcome Loesh.

Lovely piece of fluff there. Biding his time by hiding within the Black Legion. Excellent.

Now, to add him to the usual roll call will be tricky as currently it's not really a Warband as such. So, I feel I need to add a "notable mention" category for those EC/ Slaanesh followers using their skills for others while pursuing their own schemes.

Just finished my summer painting project yesterday, so I thought I'd share a pic as well as the thoughts behind it - hopefully this'll be of some interest to our group.

Summer Painting Project

My CSM warband has always been primarily Slaaneshi, but I've never been shy about allying in Nurglite elements; back in the day this was a squad of PM, and in the more modern era Oblits with MoN.  Besides being effective from the crunch perspective, this doesn't really contradict our fluff and can also look nice on the tabletop.  (My NM are the traditional pink and black, but also have green and yellow detailing; for my Nurglite allies I just drop the pink, using green and black for the primary scheme, and some yellow for the details.)

So given the nerf to FMC in 7th, I wanted to do a new Daemon Prince that I could use as both: 1. A close combat DP from CSM (with the MoN and Black Mace or Spineshiver Blade) and 2. A "flying gunboat" DP from CD (with MoS, a  Lash of Despair and some psychic powers.)  The results are what you see in the pic, which I think nicely balances the pink and the green/yellow, so that this guy can "swing either way" (which Slaanesh would undoubtedly approve of.)  The right arm and paldron are magnetized, and I'm working on a second Black Mace arm, but for now I think he's good to go for wielding the BL Spineshiver, a CD Etherblade or just a generic CCW.  (I may also do a third Lash of Despair arm later on too.)  I also ended up just using patafix to attach the left paldron, his mail tabard and the thigh armor, so I can just pop them off to proxy him as Be'lakor.

Since I've never used daemons before, I also needed a troop unit for the CD Prince.  The "counts as" Daemonettes I got from Raging Heroes look great, but are also really finicky to work with, so I finally just took the easy route and banged out a quick swarm of Nurglings - cheap in points as well as cash, easy to paint and scoring now too.  But I'm anxious to get back to my 'nettes and finish them, so I can get more Slaaneshi goodness onto the tabletop.  Cheers.

Edited by Disciple of Fulgrim

That is a very cool looking Daemon Prince, and from what little I know of the expansive Warhammer fluff Slaanesh tends to be more neutral to the other gods then, say, Khorne so I could certainly see a Nurglite Warband allying with them. In fact, in the Lash of Loesh background fluff Sigvald(Briefly) helped some Death Guard to remove his former Thousand Sons overseer on the way to Arkhona.

I can't critique too much on painting as I don't really know that much about it(All 1d4chan really told me was THIN YOUR PAINTS.) but it looks extremely detailed, and the bright green colors are both Slaaneshi and Nurglite, I remember some artwork of a Noise Marine who wore garish eye-popping greens and purples in addition to the typical legion black and pink, I imagine those Noise Marines look something like that.

All around, it looks really cool.

Not sure what the rules on double posting are, that is to say posting just after I posted something, but it's been a late night and I decided to do some brainstorming for Sigvald and want to know what you all think!

I'v been trying to get myself as immersed into the setting as I reasonably can, trying to put myself in the mentality of a Slaaneshi Chaos Sorcerer. It's a somewhat difficult process, the knee jerk reaction is to draw heavily on the Horus Heresy and all the background events, but modern marines...even Chaos Space Marines, hardly know all the specifics, just more then most. In many ways they are a composite of things, different parts of armor fused together with ideologies that have changed vastly since Horus became less of an idol and more of a joke in the Eye of Terror.

When I think of Sigvald personally, as he had some background information even before the Eternal Crusade, I think knight in really rusted armor. Character-wise he still maintains his sense of honor and ethics, completely twisted by Chaos. He's the kind of guy who writes Sic Semper Tyrannis under his legion emblem because he believes he is fighting Tyrants, rather then becoming a Tyrant. When it comes to his fellows it means he has a following in Slaaneshi who believe themselves morally above everyone like the Flawless Host, Wide-eyed Idealists, anarchists, and utterly insufferable to about anyone else. The thing is he completely and totally believes it, depending on how you feel about the Imperium you could liken him to Don Quixote.

As legion pride means as little or as much to any one chaos space marine as they want, Sigvald arguably puts way more into the latter then most. He's proud of being an Emperors Children in private, he's proud of being Slaaneshi, and he's proud of his gene-mods because he feels it makes him way better then the primitives he has to fight beside. Super religious to the point that if the Word Bearers were a Mono-Slaanesh legion, he wouldn't look out of place in it, and the second he can repaint his armor he's probably going to rub it into everyone as much as he can.

As far as his magical capabilities it's....mixed, Eldritch Lore is hard to come by and it's not helped by his extreme OCD. It's a collection of religious text, actual sorcery, and lots of things that are just parlor tricks and cantrips for amusement or to fix something in a pinch, this however is detracted by the fact the mans an unwitting Iconoclast to the extreme. At one point he comes across a copy of the Testamentum Veritas after surveying the ruins of a battle alongside some Word Bearers who were obliterated, which he didn't terribly mind because he found them boorish. He knew absolutely nothing about the Book of Lorgar as many legions don't know much about each other at this point, so he hardly knew that there was a second and much more valuable version of it. So he picked it up on a whim and started flipping through the pages and reading, noticing that it was summoning demons just by him reading it aloud. His thoughts aren't "Oh this book is extremely powerful, it's ripping reality apart!" it's "This book is summoning things that aren't daemonettes, clearly it's flawed."

He then proceeded to rip up the parts of the book he didn't like, rewrite large sections of it until it got the desired effect, completely oblivious that he may of made it much less valuable and powerful, and then strapped it to his waist. The only thing he really got out of it was terms like Neverborn, Primordial Truth, and so forth which to a non-Word Bearer probably sound pretty bizarre, as such he's also become very focused on Daemonic Pacts and opening Warp Rifts rather then mind bullets or chaos storms. Being a Palatine blade he doesn't really mind it makes him more choppy, even though it basically limits his ranged capabilities to his bolt pistol and the occasional doombolt.

And if he finds some fragment of the Codex Astartes, he knows Robutte Guiliman wrote it and if he see's the author he'll burn it, but if he doesn't he'll rewrite it into something that makes the Ultramarines wish he'd burn it. Sometimes he makes improvements, sometimes it turns out worse, sometimes he makes it worse and realizes it but then brushes it off because of his time with Delafour and claims "The Imperfections make it perfect!" to which the Remebrancer would of probably killed himself for Fulgrim if he knew what the phrase was being used for. Tzeentch and Nurgle lore he just flat out burns on the spot because he believes Slaanesh is the true master of magic, the man probably has hurt Chaos just as much as the Imperium by burning or rewriting every artifact that isn't completely Slaaneshi.

And that's the basic outline i'v got for his personality.

Edited by Loesh

And this is also why I enjoy the Slaanesh side of things. You can just about justify anything.

As for the painting side of things, I can highly recommend looking in the Forge on here. Colour wise though...black and pink is so last year ;)

And this is also why I enjoy the Slaanesh side of things. You can just about justify anything.

As for the painting side of things, I can highly recommend looking in the Forge on here. Colour wise though...black and pink is so last year :wink:

Very much so, it allows for a broad range of characters, i'll give the Forge a look when i'v got time.

Though I should clarify on the above post that when I say honor, I mean honoring deals and in a practical way because it makes less enemies. In a way that Lucius would surely disapprove, he'd have no problem grabbing someone in the middle of a sword fight and punching them in the face. :tongue.:

Edited by Loesh

@ Loesh: Thanks for the kind words on my DP.

Regarding your thoughts on Sigvald, one of the things that caught my eye is what he thinks of the Codex Astartes - something like this is also rather central to my Warband leader, and also speaks to how nuanced Slaanesh can be (with a little imagination.)  In a nutshell my Lord Commander was formerly a Captain in the Black Consuls, who were Second Founding Ultramarine successors.  I say "were" because per the last SM codex, the BC's are believed to have been destroyed in battle.  Per some old fluff I've found, the BC's were known for being particularly uncompromising, and also rigid adherents to the Codex Astartes - perfect candidates, in my mind, for corruption (or enlightenment if you prefer) by the gods of Chaos.  The fluff doesn't really specify who the BC's were fighting when they were annihilated, but does say that a Word Bearers ship was in orbit around the world during the battle.  In my warband's backstory, the WB's took a few of the wounded and defeated BC's (to include the former Captain) prisoner, and over time were able to convince them (through means fair and foul) that the combat doctrines of the Emperor's Children and Fulgrim were superior to those of the Codex Astartes and Guilliman.  (Not really a hard sell when you think of it.  The BC's had been around for almost 10,000 years before they were destroyed, but suddenly they were wiped out - how could that have happened?  Easy to twist it around to where it wasn't the fault of the current members of the Chapter, or the Imperium, but because of faults in the Codex Astartes.  So what could be better, or more perfect, than the Codex?  How about the teachings of the Primarch who mortally wounded Guilliman - and thus the Disciples of Fulgrim were born, with nary a trace of traditional Slaaneshi hedonism involved.)

Makes perfect sense considering, and Sigvald would see it much the same. How could Guliman have better tactics then the Emperors Children and yet lose their Primarch to them? Clearly the Emperors Children are better in every way! their tactics were just plain superior,

So he takes Imperial Tactics and changes them through a Slaaneshi lens, with all the advantages and disadvantages that entails. Slaaneshi Terminators can quite literally dance in their armor unlike the Ultramarines, how would that not give access to better tactics? Noise Marines ignore cover, the Palatine Blades were unparalleled in close combat, and Chaos Sorcerers like him provide all sorts of buffing, debuffing, and demonic support. To his mind, the Ultramarines are strong purely due to numbers and an organized Emperors Children warband would clearly just steamroll anything that got in it's way.

Really what he's come with is as much a codex of piracy as much as it is a codex of war, taking advantage of speed and flexibility to plunder and pillage camps and bases before the enemy knows what hits them. To Sigvald, the perfect way to wage a war is to wreck the enemy before they even have the ability to shoot you.

I really like the concept of Sigvald altering the Codex Astartes (CA) into a codex of piracy.  While there's been lots of debate on what the CA actually says, I think it's safe to assume the CA is based on two strategic assumptions: 1. That loyalist Chapters can generally (over the centuries) count on receiving logistical support from the Imperium and 2. That loyalist Chapters will generally be involved in operations intended to maintain or restore order.  Obviously not so with Chaos warbands, which would automatically require them to alter any portion of the CA based upon those two premises.  How they'd actually do that has been discussed here in the Chaos forums, in various threads that have delved into what actually goes on in the Eye of Terror, or how a warband would really operate.  The idea of a perfectionist Slaaneshi Chaos Lord or Sorceror actually trying to codify the necessary changes into a "new and improved" codex is quite plausible, and continues to expand on what we can imagine our leaders doing.  Maybe something called the "Codex Maleficus," the "Codex of Vengeance" or more simply "A Primer For The Long War."  To me this would be more of an insurgency manual, somewhat akin to the kind of "underground" stuff that used to be available via mail order (i.e. the legendary "Anarchist's Cookbook") and now can be found online.  And taking this a step further, we'd then be looking at our leadership as a dark opposite to the Ultramarines - the consumate strategists and tacticians for our side - vice the much more cartoonish (and boring IMO) concept of hedonistic fops with sonic weapons.