Call for War, Callius' VII Legion, 5/11 Spartan finished!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the praise brothers! (Pheidias, maybe I should ''borrow'' that idea and talk to some folks in the US...)

This week has been a mix of up's and down's, I've been extremely busy at work since my sergeant is going away on deployment and has left me in charge, so my spare time got cut down a good amount.

But I have still managed to get a little hobby time in. The five Mk. IV guys are almost done, I had a setback that I was 100% accountable for.

With my sub assembly painting done I got the shoulder pads and guns cut from the sprues and to my horror I learned that I forgot to give them the all important varnish before priming. So as I was handling the pads and guns, the paint was flaking of. To say I was angry is an understatement, luckily I had three bolters already painted just lying in my bitz box.

I have now gotten 10 new pads and two new guns ready for priming, and this time I made sure to get the varnish done first.

So now I am on the right track and the minis are about 80% done. I hope to finish them by the end of next week since I have the whole week off thanks to the easter holidays.

This is the five LEGO guys that are just waiting for some hardware to be delivered, so they can get on with the traitor slaying.

gallery_58716_9901_106865.jpg

Pic heavy post incoming.

The first five Mk. IV guys are finally done, the extra work I had to do because of the pads where a major pain in the rear, but it was my own fault so I can't be to mad.

All in all the end result was nicer than I had predicted, since I had to use different Mk. pads the varied pad size made for some nice variations in the armours.

I played around with adding some puddles to the bases with a small amount of water effect and it came out just right, let me know what you guys think.

Just for the record: the guy in the last photo looks much brighter than the rest due to my desk lamp not being super for photos, but as the group shot shows, they are all the same shade of battered :tongue.:

gallery_58716_9901_201389.jpg

gallery_58716_9901_67418.jpg

gallery_58716_9901_167839.jpg

gallery_58716_9901_94142.jpg

gallery_58716_9901_185667.jpg

I said something like this earlier, but damn. This is how to do Imperial Fists. I absolutely love this latest demi-squad. Weathering is spot on and the battle damage is great. The small touches (blood, bayonets, the Wolfhound insignia on the vexilla) make them look like real warfighters. Possibly the sole point I'd query is the use of yellow on the vexilla scroll (at least it looks yellow on my screen) as opposed to something else (just seems like a lot of yellow on that mini), but really apart from that everything is great. Were I ever to do Fists again this would be my starting point for inspiration.

Edited by Brother-Captain Arkhan

Your fists are great man!! Love the down and dirty effect... After seeing your Levi in the glorious yellow I am more tempted to get one;) I'm getting ready to renter the heresy train and will be making my own bases this time around, thanks for posting your work there as well.

Looking forward to another group shot and the mix of armor marks

Thanks brothers it's much appreciated, I'm glad the minis are up to snuff.

My little shoulder pad mistake ended up being a happy little accident, to qoute the one and only Bob Ross.

I said something like this earlier, but damn. This is how to do Imperial Fists. I absolutely love this latest demi-squad. Weathering is spot on and the battle damage is great. The small touches (blood, bayonets, the Wolfhound insignia on the vexilla) make them look like real warfighters. Possibly the sole point I'd query is the use of yellow on the vexilla scroll (at least it looks yellow on my screen) as opposed to something else (just seems like a lot of yellow on that mini), but really apart from that everything is great. Were I ever to do Fists again this would be my starting point for inspiration.

Cheers man, I always like praise and after checking out your Ultra's I know that if you say my work is spot on then that is high praise indeed coming from the guy who made so drop dead gorgeous Ultras :thumbsup: (And I'm not usually a fan of the XIII)

As for the vexilla, it's just screaming skull with agrax earthshade wash and some light bone drybrush.

I was going for an ''old parchment'' look but I can see it looks a bit yellow. Some proper lighting should clear that one up in a jiffy.

And BTW the wolfhound insignia is actually a lion, my company's own heraldy. That, plus most of the men hail from the germanic plains on Terra gave them their nickname; the lions of Terra. Honest mistake, I know.

Your fists are great man!! Love the down and dirty effect... After seeing your Levi in the glorious yellow I am more tempted to get one;) I'm getting ready to renter the heresy train and will be making my own bases this time around, thanks for posting your work there as well.
Looking forward to another group shot and the mix of armor marks

Thanks, I am glad you like the dread. I can honestly say that it was a joy to assemble and paint, so if you can spare the 70-ish quid it will set you back, I say do it!

Lovely to hear your coming back to 30k, have you decided on a legion or maybe some auxillia or mechanicus?

Edited by Brother Callius

Update time!

I have run out of my Vallejo primer and have ordered some more off the old interweb, but it won't arive until next week.

So because of that I can't begin on my Mk. II marines, but I have made the bases for them since that can be done.

I love making my own bases and I am surprised again and again how easy it is to make realistic looking bases, all you need are basically PVA glue, cork and sand. The rest of the stuff I use is just icing on the cake.

The minis will have to wait until week 15 since I will be gone next week on a military exercise that includes the weekend (yay).

All in all my minis have gotten their varnish but await primer, so here are their bases all nice and finished:

gallery_58716_9901_52942.jpg

gallery_58716_9901_7886.jpg

gallery_58716_9901_41500.jpg

I will give you a quick update once I begin on the minis proper.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the praise brothers!

First off, let me apologize for the lack of updates. My work have gotten in the way of my hobby and I have almost zero spare time at the moment so progress has slowed to a crawl, so bear with me.

The last five guys for the Leutwin tac. squad have gotten their coats of yellow and I have started blocking out the other colours.

It's not very interesting news but I thought I would get some updating going on the progress log.

gallery_58716_9901_42802.jpg

On the more fun note, the postman dropped this off...

gallery_58716_5536_99518.jpg

Now I am a bit torn over what colour scheme to go with on this guy. On one hand I would like to make him a veteran sergeant of the 41st. but on the other hand, painting Fists is all I do at the moment.

So I could go with the retro feel and paint him as a Crimson Fist but then he would only be used as a display piece, but I could practice my painting and try to push myself with something new.

I have made a poll on a 40k facebook group and the vast majority there said I should go with Dorn's finest, but what do you suggest?

You could paint him in a reverse Imperial Fist scheme, that way you'd break the minotomy of painting mainly yellow and he'd still be useable with your Heresy stuff. Alternatively you could try a unification era scheme (for another legion), something different but still relevant.

Edited by Soric

I love your bases, any chance you could share your method?

Sure mate :thumbsup:

First of all, a little photo of the supllies I use:

gallery_58716_5536_182486.jpg

1. Decide how the mini is going to stand on the base, and roughly what effects you're going to use.

2. Break cork board into chunks that fits the base and the way it should look. (i.e. more concrete or more dirt, etc.) And then glue it into place.

3. Place different objects on the base; bricks, skulls, sandbags, barbed wire or bullet casings. What ever strikes your fancy.

4. Spread PVA glue around the areas where the dirt should be.

5. Apply a good sprinkle of sandmix and then press lightly to make the grain more embedded in the glue. I use the citadel plastic green stuff tool for this, it's great.

6. Once dry it's on to the painting. For the concrete it's Mechanicus standard grey, the dirt is Dryad bark, bricks are Abaddon black and the metal is Leadbelcher.

7. Tidy up the places where the different colours meet. Once that's done I get heavy handed with the Agrax earthshade.

8. Drybushing stage:

The concrete gets Dawnstone first and then White scar very, very lightly.

The dirt is brushed with Gorthor brown and then Steel legion drab.

The Bricks gets Dawnstone and then White scar.

The metals gets Typhus corrosion (not drybrush) and then drybrushed with Ryza rust.

9. Adding water effects if needed. To create a puddle I just put on a couple drops of realistic water from secret weapon and spread it out with the plastic tool as before.

10. The last step is painting the border of the base black.

Oh and the last thing I do is glue a 20mm washer on the bottom of the base for stability.

That is all I do, It seems more difficult when I see it in writing. It just looks so complicated but when I'm building the bases it's really quite simple, I don't know why I didn't start making my own bases earlier.

If there is any question, just let me know and I will try to answer it :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Update time!

Tactical sqaud Leutwin has been completed, with the last four guys in MK. II armour.

As I have said before the two tac squads will be mixed with the different armour marks so it won't look too similar, so the only constant in the squads are the sergeants.

Here are the last four guys:

gallery_58716_9901_190363.jpg

gallery_58716_9901_377898.jpg

gallery_58716_9901_80788.jpg

I have started work on the Anniversary marine and I will be painting him up as a veteran sergeant to lead the ''bodyguard'' squad that will be accompanying my Castellan.

On another note I have ordered the Knights renegade kit and I will be making my own diy knight house to be allied with the 41st. company.

That way I get to paint something other than yellow and I have an excuse to buy the amazing FW knights, my wallet will be sad...

Thanks guys, glad you like the work I put into these :thumbsup:

(pic heavy thread incoming)

I have taken some photos of squad Leutwin and I tried to set up a larger background for a group shot of the 41st as it stands now.

The photos are not the best but the group shot takes up some considerable space so I had to wing it a little with the lighting and backdrop...

First off, squad Leutwin:

gallery_58716_9901_97231.jpg

gallery_58716_9901_212375.jpg

And now on to the group shots:

gallery_58716_9901_300310.jpg

gallery_58716_9901_320755.jpg

gallery_58716_9901_484024.jpg

gallery_58716_9901_439753.jpg

That's all I have for now, thanks again for the praise, it helps keep the heresy train going.

Damn dude, your Imperial Fists are like the farthest opposite end of the spectrum from showroom Emperor's Children.

I love how ever marine looks like he's been using his armor and wargear alongside the guy beside him for decades. 

Can I ask one thing though? I'm curious why you went with a yellow helm for your Leviathan. The red and white stripe (that's VIIth legion code for veteran, right?) looks so badass on your contemptor, I wonder why you didn't continue the trend.

Damn dude, your Imperial Fists are like the farthest opposite end of the spectrum from showroom Emperor's Children.

I love how ever marine looks like he's been using his armor and wargear alongside the guy beside him for decades. 

Can I ask one thing though? I'm curious why you went with a yellow helm for your Leviathan. The red and white stripe (that's VIIth legion code for veteran, right?) looks so badass on your contemptor, I wonder why you didn't continue the trend.

Thanks Flint, I love love the pristine feel of Emperor's Children and I almost chose them instead of Fists when I was choosing my legion, but I was a bit scared paitng and weathering purple so they lost to Dorn's finest. I feel yellow is such a great colour to weather, it just looks right...

The helmet colours are actually a red helmet for a sergeant (just look at the other squads in my legion) and a white stripe for veterans. The Contemptor where a veteran sergeant befor being badly wounded and as such he was allowed to keep his colours when interred in a dreadnought.

But my plan is that the leaders of the talons, be they Contemptor, Deredeo or Leviathan get the red helmet with white stripe so it's simply because dear old Aldemar is not the talon leader... (and yeah, I plan on adding another two Leviathans at some point)