Call for War, Callius' VII Legion, 5/11 Spartan finished!

Ah, that makes sense!

Have you thought about maybe a black helm or some such for him though? I only ask bc his poor tiny head kinda gets lost in that giant, hulking carapace ^_^

Ah, that makes sense!

Have you thought about maybe a black helm or some such for him though? I only ask bc his poor tiny head kinda gets lost in that giant, hulking carapace :happy.:

That was a great idea, perhaps a black helmet with a white veteran stripe.

I will try to repaint his helmet that way if I can get to it withput too much trouble the next time I have the brushes out, thanks for the idea :thumbsup: 

Thanks Pheidias, I love to make minis that seem to belong together, it just ads to the feel.

I have now painted Aldemar's helmet black with a white stripe, and it was some of the hardest painting I have ever done since I didn't want to get paint on the eye lenses or the yellow armour but it worked out after some very intense moments...

I have also made the new colours fit into my fluff.

The white stripe is easy enough since almost every dreadnought would be a veteran to some degree.

The black colour is to show that the legionnaire almost gave his life for the Imperium and to get a feeling of sorrow across since the guy interred in the dreadnought will never be the same man his comrades once knew.

I still plan on making the helmets red for the talon leaders to denote their sergeant like status within the talon itself. I don't know if how a 30k dreadnought talon would operate has been touched on by GW but I see it as a more elite squad loosely based on the standard chain of command, i.e. that one individual makes decisions for the whole and therefore is accountable for the actions of the squad.

With the formalities out of the way I present the new and improved brother Aldemar:

gallery_58716_9901_249122.jpg

Thanks, I'm starting to like the black helmeted dreadnought idea more and more...

Spot on man! That looks awesome. Defs worth the extra effort.

Question for you (sorry if I missed it previously). What paint colors do you use for your weathering/chipping?

I think I touched on the subject at some point in this thread but it's not like it's hard to write it again :happy.:

For the weathering it's:

Yellow: Rhinox hide and Leadbelcher on a sponge then wash with Agrax earthshade.

Black: Drybrush Dawnstone, Leadbelcher on a sponge and wash as above.

For chipping on the decals I simply use a sponge with the colour that the decal is apllied to.

The legs get Typhus corrosion dapped around with a q-tip and the soot on the big guns are just Black soot powder from FW sealed with Lahmian medium.

Time for a small update:

The anniversary marine is done and I have changed my mind on how to use the guy.

I had originally planned to use him as a sergeant for my veteran squad to accompany my castellan but I have decided to just use him as a display piece.

His primary place is on my painting station so that I can get extra motivation if I need it and also to get a quick reference when painting as to the placement of the colours.

The main reason for this where that he stood out to much. I tried to put him in amongst my finished guys but he just looked out of place there, I guess it's the armour that does it, or maybe the gun.

I then decided to give him a 40mm base for display and now he's resting on my painting station.

gallery_58716_5536_407147.jpg

gallery_58716_5536_427939.jpg

Do Imperial Fist players naturally get awesome at weathering, or are naturally gifted model weatherers just sort of drawn to Imperial Fists?

Looks awesome, man :D

Do Imperial Fist players naturally get awesome at weathering, or are naturally gifted model weatherers just sort of drawn to Imperial Fists?

Looks awesome, man :biggrin.:

Haha, thanks Flint. I wouldn't say that I'm awesome at weathering I would rather say that yellow is a perfect colour for weathering :wink:  

That turned out great! Still debating wether mine will join the Fists or the Scars...

Cheers dude :thumbsup:

I would love to see your take on this as either a Fist or a Scar but personally I've seen a few of these painted as Dorn's finest but not a single one as a Scar, so I hope to see one soon...

Hello again fellow hobbyists!

I have a small update this time around as I have run out of Fist minis to do, but instead my Knights renegade box has dropped in and I have been hard at work trying to figure out the two knights.

I know I will be making my own household which is allied with the 41st. and have strong ties to the Fists, but that is about as much as I have fleshed out so far. More will be decided later.

The first knight is coming along well and is almost ready for primer, but that will have to wait for another two months :sad.:

I will be gone until august and as such this log will be put in hold. I have a month in Lithuania on a military exercise and then when I get home I will have a few days before I go on vacation to the southern part of Germany for three weeks. So this will be the last real update in a while, I will still be checking the B&C regularly but I will not get any further with my minis since I'm not at home...

On to the part we're all here for:

gallery_58716_12061_211747.jpg

Here you can see the method I used to know what position the arms are going to be in before I glued them solid (not very pretty but effective):

gallery_58716_12061_155773.jpg

That's all for me this time around, can't wait to get painting on this bad boy!

What colours are you thinking for the Knight?

I'm frankly not sure yet. At the moment I am leaning towards blue and cream/ white but I am not sure. I also like dark red knights but I think I'm going with blue-ish.

I have mocked up a couple of schemes in the freeblade app to get an idea and these three are my favourites so far:

EDIT: Whoops, accidentally deleted freeblade pics from the gallery, so I used these instead:

gallery_58716_12061_114706.jpg

gallery_58716_12061_209135.jpg

Edited by Brother Callius

• 2 months later...

Hello again dear B&C, it's been a while...

I am finally back from my hiatus and my fingers have been itching to get going again. I have spent a good amount of time in Lithuania pondering over the colour for my knights and have decided that red and cream are the way to go, just like Pearson suggested.

I have also worked a bit more on the fluff for the knight house; I have decided that the house will have a high gothic feel and as such I will be using a very GW-esque way of butchering the fine language of latin.

The house will either be named House Domitus or House Decimus and will hail from the knight world of Prasentia and be supported by the forge-world of Nexis.

That is about all I have decided upon. How the house will tie in with the 41st or even the seventh legion as a whole is still very much a WIP.

I have opted to go a different way than my usual when it comes to weathering.

The armour panels will be well worn just like my Fists but the mechanical/ metal parts will be a tad more clean since knights are more cared for and tended to than say a dreadnought or a rhino.

As such I think that a household will be looking after their knights and keep them well maintained even in prolonged engagements.

The skeleton is all done. I got a bit carried away with the painting and forgot to take pictures during the process, but such is the joy of getting my brushes wet with paint again...

The only parts of the skeleton that's not done are the armour panels (gun shield, chainsword, etc.) and the toes. I am very grateful that GW decided to release Leadbelcher as a spray paint as that has spared my patience and my brushes from painting the whole skeleton by hand.

The trim of the main aromour panels have been basecoated with Leadbelcher followd by Ironbreaker. I will give them a dark wash and then a light drybrush to get a brushed/ galvanized look.

Now on to what people are here for:

gallery_58716_12061_214256.jpg

gallery_58716_12061_115587.jpg

gallery_58716_12061_134956.jpg

Thanks brothers :thumbsup:

Dude, I love that Leviathan dread. I have a question about it though.

The lion sigil on his shoulder plate, where is it from? (Nevermind, did some research and found it myself :wink: )

Thanks mate, where did you find it? I ordered mine from armorcast.com but it took forever to get here so if you found them somewhere else I would love to know.

I have gotten the armour panels that are on the knight done and the toes have been weathered to a nice shade of battered. the rest of the armour I will be weathering when the knight is assembled to better get a feel for the whole mini. I have tried to keep the feet pistons free from mud since they will be moving all the time in real life and the mud would be wiped off. The rest of the lower legs will be weathered once I'm done so theres a quite clear line where the mud stops, and that's not going to be there forever...

The trim is also done on all the panels and have come out just as planned. I have gotten the first layer of red on some of the smaller panels as I am planning to assemble/ paint this guy from the bottom up.

Heres what I've done so far:

gallery_58716_12061_250121.jpg

gallery_58716_12061_298466.jpg

gallery_58716_12061_165266.jpg

Not sure how I've managed to consistently miss this thread for so long. :blink:

Terrific work, brother. Your Imperial Fists look excellent and I look forward to seeing the completed Knight. :tu:

And thank you for your basing tutorial; I'll definitely be using it for my own Imperial Fists bases. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Big update incoming!

The knight is coming along very nicely, most of the leg plating is done and glued on. The biggest hurdle has been the chest peice since it involves freehand.

I know I could just get some decal to put on there but I want to learn as I go, and freehand is where I need to learn alot. Besides there are no decals with my DIY knight house on them anyway.

All in all I am pretty happy with the result and I think it looks decent, but there is room to improve :wink:

The gun shield and head shield thingy has been lightly weathered since they will be hard to get at after I put the carapace on. The weathering is not done but you get a feel for the effects I was going for.

The rest of the painted pieces looks out of place because of the cleanliness of them compared to the skeleton and feet but the weathering will have to wait untill the knight is fully assembled.

The Knight house has been dubbed House Decimus, since I like that name the best and it's suitably latin sounding. Plus it's the name of Russell crowe's character in Gladiator :thumbsup:

gallery_58716_12061_85100.jpg

gallery_58716_12061_195668.jpg

gallery_58716_12061_129512.jpg

It has now been two years since I started on my much-loved Fists and I still find them fun to kit out and paint so that's a good sign that I am not tired of painting yellow yet, and that I chose the right legion.

To celebrate my anniversary I got a little cash together and went nuts on the FW website. After a bit of squabble with UPS I have now gotten my package and I can't wait to get this knight done so I can get cracking on my resin addiction.

gallery_58716_9901_261182.jpg

On the table sits my newest investments:

- 1 Spartan (For when a Land Raider won't cut it)

- 10 Cataphractii terminators (Resin of course, none of that cheap feeling plastic here!)

- 5 Despoilers (For the veteran squad to accompany my Castellan)

- 2 Contemptors (Mannfreid was getting a bit lonely)

- 3 Scimitar Jetbikes (You don't see many of those in the yellow of the VII, and I was lacking any Fast attack choices)

- A bunch of extra goodies, thingys and whatchamacallits

That's all for now, hopefully I will get started on the resin washing in the weekend, my fingers are itching to get a go at those termies...