The Legion for you... Community Assistance Thread

Hyaenidae

With a homeworld named Olympia, you could also give the Iron Warrior a bit of Ancient Greek flavor.

Dantioch escaped with several Iron Warirors and an Ultramarine. There is nothing to say he had other loyal Iron Warriors join with him in due course. I say do both, and because they aren't all mutated and stuff you can still add Perturabo to your collection for when you wan to run the Iron Warriors separately to your Ultramarines

The Psycho: Hmm, d20? Ignore rolls of 2 and 11... first roll was a 2 (figures). second roll was a 4 (Iron Warriors). Best two out of three?

ElectricPaladin: Iron Hands are tempting. Medusan Immortals shed their clan & legion markings so no need to invest in IH shoulder pads, etc. After Istvaan many of the IH felt shamed and vengeful, so many may have become Immortals. And with the next HH Book bring Shattered Legions & Blackshields, it could be a choice to plan for. 

Lord Thørn: Ah, Iron Warriors. There are a few Imperial Fist players in my area. If I can't build IF, then I shall smash them all! Muahaha! Plus if I'm feeling Loyalist, there is always running them under Barabas Dantioch. The whole "Marine in the Iron Mask" vibe is definitely cool. Oh, but those yellow/black chevrons (shudder).

Shades of black and metal could work for Legions I, IV, or X (and XIX as well, but I can safely say I don't wish to build Raven Guard). It would feel good to build a recognized legion and hopefully one I can extend into 40K at some point.

As for extra bits, I have an old reserve of 300+ Adeptus Mechanicus shoulder pads. They could be used for an IH clan or if painted as a 'death's head' black on white they become the 'Immortals'. I also have as many of the single-sword shoulder pads from the DA upgrade sprues. They could be used for any legion, or even a pre-heresy Unification order. Another 100 of the double-sword "assault pads" never made it to becoming Guardians of the Covenant, so they're free to adapt as well.

Iron Warriors are noted for having 'Warrior Societies' (rather than 'Clans'), so do you think it would be out of place for such symbols to be used? I could probably get by without doing the chevrons, except on officers. Hmm...

At least the field is narrowing. Thanks!

Chevrons are far from obligatory for Iron Warriors, and I think that you should be able to use different symbols to indicate different kinds of societies as you say: for instance, according to Angel Exterminatus, they are very proud of being warriors so a special society dedicated to close combat would work...

I believe Pete Haines wrote that Iron Warriors could be as savage as World Eaters with butcher's nails when they needed to, but could rein in the rage once done. In the outdated Index Astartes, I think.

Which really comes off as 'look at my special snowflake favorite chapter' sometimes.

And Iron Warriors armies without a single hazard stripe or chevron look better. There, I said it. ph34r.png

I posted a few weeks ago but I still can't decide. I'm wanting to do a legion that not many people play. I like the Iron Warriors but I feel like they are a bit bland in character. I thought about doing a pre heresy painted luna wolves theme and lastly blood angels since I play them in 40k and love the background for them.

I do not know, you could view the different great companies like different city-states in Ancient Greece, the savage professional intensity of the Spartans, for the most brutal assaults and breaching units for example.

The Greeks talent for architecture, science and calculations, would be perfect for siege warfare. And rather than bitter maybe Perturabo was "philosophical" about his position amongst his brothers ph34r.png

@ Lord Thørn, Knight of the Raven, Charlo, & dantay_xv: Thank you all, you have helped me make my choice. I was letting my preconceptions get in the way and you've helped knock down one of the box walls so I can feel comfortable about stepping outside of it. Iron Within, Iron Without because The Flesh is Weak !

Yes, I am going for two legions now. Hey, I need two sides to play BaC and everyone seems to be doing two legions anyway. biggrin.png

@ Ulrock: I was originally aiming for a legion that wasn't being too well represented. Then, I've come to realize it really comes down to how you want to represent them. That seems to be the great thing about 30K, it is what you can make of it. All of the heresy churning around the galaxy while events are heading toward their inevitable conclusion really gives a wide range of choices. Your two referenced choices sound like you would really enjoy them; one for something new and the second for simply adding more to what you have.

Ciao,

R.

Perturabo? Field him as a custom dreadnought. RG? Use them as allies.Sigismund? Some Dusk Raider hero, long dead at the time of the Heresy. Fire? Make alchem-napalm!

Hahahaha noice. Yeah that's the plan probably! My DG will look a little iron warrior-y anyway. Great part of the DG RoW is that is allows allies and fortifications B)

The struggle is real right now.

Salamanders or Death Guard is the question today. I've discovered something about how I feel about colour schemes: I like going against the normal ones.

1. For the Sallies I would use their old RT camo scheme, which I think will look great & isn't often used. Fluffwise they would be played as post-Istvaan/Shattered Legions
  2. For the DG I would like to use heavily weathered black in place of white/bone. I haven't got any fluff for these guys yet but will need to think of a way to justify their different scheme. I do know that I would like to use lots of termies though.

I would like input on how these legions play on the tabletop as that will be a key part of my decision, also some input on how I could potentially execute both ideas would be appreciated, I'm mainly asking because I don't know exactly how the Shattered Legions rules will work, as it might not be what I'm looking for.

I appreciate any and all comments.

Thank you for reading about my crippling FW addiction.

1. For the DG I would like to use heavily weathered black in place of white/bone. I haven't got any fluff for these guys yet but will need to think of a way to justify their different scheme. I do know that I would like to use lots of termies though.

Theres some evidence that legions started dark grey bare ceramite when they left Terra. Colours were developed later as they won glory :) Maybe the DG in that particular expedition didnt get the memo to go bone coloured.

Salamanders are slow, durable, and get bonuses to the accuracy and reliability of their short-range (ie. flame and melta) weapons, so they are usually a mechanized force. The durability buffs their vehicles get mean that they tend to favor AV 14 when it's available, so if you like land raiders variants and spartans, the Salamanders might be the army for you. Salamanders get a lot out of their consul types - librarians with Pyromancy powers at short range, forge lords joining squads in land raiders, etc - which is part of why their Rite of War limits them.

Salamanders or Death Guard is the question today. I've discovered something about how I feel about colour schemes: I like going against the normal ones.

<Snipsies>

So you want to know about the Death Guard, eh?

Your colour scheme sounds like you want to paint some Destroyers biggrin.png. The weathered black scheme looks great, personally, but I do enjoy weathering my boys in plain, un-coloured ceramite. Oh to sing an ode to the jade and ceramite happy.png. For fluffy background about your group, maybe they were all caught in a Radiation Storm and it stained their armour black? Death Guard don't necessarily care to their armour laugh.png! Maybe your group liked their original colours from back on Terra which was Storm Cloud Grey armour and a red right arm. They were the "Red Right Hand" of the Emperor; the bringers of his justice.

Now, for tactics, get ready to bring the troops. That's all I know, honestly. I can't play the game anymore so I read and write fluff and paint.

Hope some of that is helpful!

1. For the Sallies I would use their old RT camo scheme, which I think will look great & isn't often used. Fluffwise they would be played as post-Istvaan/Shattered Legions
  2. For the DG I would like to use heavily weathered black in place of white/bone. I haven't got any fluff for these guys yet but will need to think of a way to justify their different scheme. I do know that I would like to use lots of termies though.

I would like input on how these legions play on the tabletop as that will be a key part of my decision, also some input on how I could potentially execute both ideas would be appreciated, I'm mainly asking because I don't know exactly how the Shattered Legions rules will work, as it might not be what I'm looking for.

Death Guard that operate from the Poison Ships wear black. You can see the scheme on the bottom row of their tactical markings page.

As for how they play, both Legions are pretty similar at first glance. They're both on the slow end, with negative modifiers for Sweeping Advance and Run rolls, and Rites of War that limit fast attack and forbid Deep Striking. Competitively, the DG fare a lot better, but only if you play them as "unfluffy" as possible with as few units as possible actually walking on foot. Access to Rad Grenades and Shredding Flamers results in some pretty awesome combos.

Archived