++ The Harrowing - An Alpha Legion Community ++

Sviar

I was just guessing. My copy of shadow war is inbound and I am drooling over the terrain and the game itself.

I bet that 4x4 gets crowded when you get more than two players brawling and pure nasty when shots are fired.

ChazSexington, what was your list? Just curious what people are running.

Leader with power sword, 3 CSMs, 2 with bolters, 1 with a melta, and 4 Cultists (maybe 3, canny mind the nu).

Wha? How did your opponent have harlequins AND guard?

I'm assuming a three player game.

Aye, but not the new scenario. We just went with a free for all, last man standing variant of mission 1.

Wha? How did your opponent have harlequins AND guard?

It was a free for all game.

• 1 month later...

Oh wow!  What else cool has happened?  Are the ALs loyal to the Emperor or the Cabal or Chaos now or what? 

Also - does anyone have any pictures of Armilus Dynat un-assembled?  I have conversion plans.

Also, how tall is he?  

In the novel Praetorian of Dorn, Alpharius himself -- yes, the actual Primarch, not a proxy -- led a covert strike on the Imperial Palace.  Yes, the Imperial Palace.  He set a trap for Rogal Dorn on Luna, a trap which worked in that it lured Dorn into its clutches.  It failed, however, as Dorn killed Alpharius.

As for loyalties, they hold none to anyone other than themselves. . . or at least, that's how it appears.  In the 41st Millennium, they are clearly full-fledged Chaos Marines; just look at characters like Sindri from Dawn of War or Voldorius, the Daemon Prince hunted down by the White Scars.  How they get there and why, on the other hand, is yet to be seen.

In the novel Praetorian of Dorn, Alpharius himself -- yes, the actual Primarch, not a proxy -- led a covert strike on the Imperial Palace.  Yes, the Imperial Palace.  He set a trap for Rogal Dorn on Luna, a trap which worked in that it lured Dorn into its clutches.  It failed, however, as Dorn killed Alpharius.

As for loyalties, they hold none to anyone other than themselves. . . or at least, that's how it appears.  In the 41st Millennium, they are clearly full-fledged Chaos Marines; just look at characters like Sindri from Dawn of War or Voldorius, the Daemon Prince hunted down by the White Scars.  How they get there and why, on the other hand, is yet to be seen.

Well put. For what it's worth, they are featured heavily in the 6th ed codex, with nearly the entire range of CSM models painted in their scheme. Unless they're capable of bamboozling even the chaos gods, the sneaky bastards...

Well put. For what it's worth, they are featured heavily in the 6th ed codex, with nearly the entire range of CSM models painted in their scheme. Unless they're capable of bamboozling even the chaos gods, the sneaky bastards...

Don't threaten me with  a good time.

DoW also had Khorne-worshipping Sorcerers ;)

So, has anyone had any thoughts on how to represent Alpha Legion in the new game? Looks like we don't have the rules for infiltrating or the like (for now at least). To me it looks like the most Alpha Legiony thing to do would be teleporting terminators or jumping in raptors backed up by a solid core of objective grabbing cultists and ranged support marines.

So, has anyone had any thoughts on how to represent Alpha Legion in the new game? Looks like we don't have the rules for infiltrating or the like (for now at least). To me it looks like the most Alpha Legiony thing to do would be teleporting terminators or jumping in raptors backed up by a solid core of objective grabbing cultists and ranged support marines.

The indices are just stopgaps, Legion rules are coming.

http://i.imgur.com/4dB8izZ.jpg

I'm gonna be testing Chosen and Helbrutes with Fallen and Red Corsairs for the foreseeable future. 

With the point Chaz made in mind, I feel like a few deep striking units is the best solution paired with a mix of foot and mechanized infantry to start on the table.  Personally, my mantra from the moment we got the "no scatter deep strike" tease in the Tyranid article has been "Make Terminators Great Again!" 

Which works now with the Index army list, but if the Legion rules are anything like 3.5 or Traitor Legions, then we won't be able to Mark our units anymore. . . which means no Icons other than Vengeance.  Which, don't get me wrong, isn't a bad Icon to have -- brings Chosen up to Ld10! -- but it doesn't do much for getting charges off.  Of course, there's always Warp Time for that.  Also, is it just me or are Chaos Lords pretty cheap right now?  I feel like any Chaos army really could benefit from taking more than one and sprinkling them around for the Lord of Chaos rule.

If Termies can take Icons (don't have the rules with me), you'd have a 61% chance of making a 9" charge with an IoF.

Icon of wrath is the reroll charge one I believe?

You also nominate what mark you want when you pick your unit. Or if they even get a mark. Example from my understanding:

So terminators, in my Black Legion army, are given the mark of Khorne. Because they are Khornate I can give them the Icon of Wrath.

At the end of a movement phase they teleport strike 9" away from an enemy unit. When the time comes they roll their charge distance and if needed they can reroll the charge range with the IoW.

Right now we have no limits on what we can take or mark, which is nice, as some of those icons are pretty cool.

I don't have a master plan or anything at the moment, just learning rules and how units work is the name of the game for me.

That being said having some marines on the table and then having terminators and raptors drop down and perform a harrowing can work ;)

Also a daemon Prince on foot with gun and sword (or axe) can work well as a alpharius ;)

If Termies can take Icons (don't have the rules with me), you'd have a 61% chance of making a 9" charge with an IoF.

You also nominate what mark you want when you pick your unit. Or if they even get a mark. Example from my understanding:

So terminators, in my Black Legion army, are given the mark of Khorne. Because they are Khornate I can give them the Icon of Wrath.

At the end of a movement phase they teleport strike 9" away from an enemy unit. When the time comes they roll their charge distance and if needed they can reroll the charge range with the IoW.

Sorry, meant Icon of Wrath. Thought of it as Icon of Fury for some reason.

Sorry, meant Icon of Wrath. Thought of it as Icon of Fury for some reason.

No biggie. New edition with new meaning for about everything it feels like.

This recent talk makes me want to make an Alpha Legion decapitation force of terminators. Lightning claws and flamers for cooking and slicing through infantry. Others with combi-meltas and a few chainfists to crack open metal boxes,

OMGOMGOMG.  So until we get our Codex and whatever Legion rules and daemon weapon goodies it contains, I'm definitely running my Chaos Lord as Arkos from the new FW Index.  His weapon, for example, is S:U, AP-2, D3, with a flat +1 to the die roll on to-wound rolls against any non-vehicles.    Not +1S, +1 to the roll.  He only has a 5++ instead of a 4++, but shooting attacks against suffer a -1 to hit; he adds +1 to the die roll for Advances and Charges within 6", gains +1 Command Point, and can Infiltrate within 12" of the enemy.

That last bit obviously needs other Infiltrators to work (which we don't have. . . yet) or perhaps deep-strikers, but still.

I hope that we get a Codex or source book that is dedicated to the Alpha Legion.

So far I have be a little disappointed about what we have be given.

Not that the Codex or source books are bad, they just only give us the outside view.

I love the concept of mystic of the Alpha Legion and cloak and daggers stuff that they do so well.

But it hard to be an part of the Alpha Legion when we only get the outsider's perspective.

It is hard to craft a good backstory to craft a theme army around when we do not really know what the goal is.

And RP or writing a good story with a Alpha Legion in focus is nearly impossible.

I would gladly wait to the Horus Heresy series are finish so we do not get any spoilers.

But when its is finish then it would be a nice with a book where we get the inside view.

My Alpha company fresh from the Heresy is still rocking mostly Chosen in rhinos and a few terminators. Did fairly successful in a 6 person game last weekend. Two 5 man combi-plasma chosen(formerly a Seeker squad) and a plasma terminator squad, even forgetting the whole rerolling vs Imperium from the Lord, which would have actually helped a lot as I lost 5 guys, managed to shoot up Drago and a pair of paladins.

The real heroes were my Iron havocs(ok only normal havocs now) who were simply firing frag missiles and in the space of three turns(they conceded after 3) killed 4 grey knight PA dudes and 9 Ultramarine devastators(all he had was marnius and dev squads). Missile Launchers are the bomb this edition, being able to toss out 4d6 str 4 shots to 48 inches was great. Now granted, I rolled great every time for the number of shots and my opponents were tied up(distracted) trying to kill a pair of monoliths(I did bring 5 extra bullet sponges).

Other than that for the near future(we all know chaos will be one of the first codices to come out) I plan on running my army as a mechanized force for the most part. Once I get the rules for the Sicarian and the Scorpius, my vehicles will be complete. I might add an autocannon havoc squad. I have some models crossing over from the Night Lords using some 3rd party volkites which kinda look like autocannons. I try to avoid the chaosy things and keep my AL, and my IW for that matter, relatively clean. I had a couple people walking around see my ALs and ask why the Ultramarines are fighting other ultramarines :)

I hope that we get a Codex or source book that is dedicated to the Alpha Legion.

So far I have be a little disappointed about what we have be given.

Not that the Codex or source books are bad, they just only give us the outside view.

I love the concept of mystic of the Alpha Legion and cloak and daggers stuff that they do so well.

But it hard to be an part of the Alpha Legion when we only get the outsider's perspective.

It is hard to craft a good backstory to craft a theme army around when we do not really know what the goal is.

And RP or writing a good story with a Alpha Legion in focus is nearly impossible.

I would gladly wait to the Horus Heresy series are finish so we do not get any spoilers.

But when its is finish then it would be a nice with a book where we get the inside view.

I would argue that this is the best part of the Alpha Legion: we don't have a stated goal, we aren't well known, and we can do whatever we want. Solid army of possessed led by a Daemon Prince? Go for it. Uncorrupted marines, still in Legion blue-green? Get some. We can go anywhere, do anything, and it's all okay!

I'm a firm believer that any novel that focuses on the Alpha Legion should be written from an outsider's perspective. We aren't transparent. We never will be.

Archived