++ The Harrowing - An Alpha Legion Community ++

Sviar

How are people going with playing alpha legion in 8th??

I have found that my old 5 man chosen with 2 special weapons (shoot out of a rhino) were lacking, 10 man csm squads however are going well so far.

So...being Alpha Legion and sneaky...I am leaning toward mine masquerading as loyalist marines. I really don't like count as armies but playing at being a loyalist seems so fitting & amusing.

The main reason I want to go this route is that I want drop pods. I want a force that can drop where I want it and lay down hurt. This will be backed up terminators and assassins However I may change this up once I found out about FW's dreadclaw rules.

I also want to disguise some of my AL as other legions/chapters and I have some XIII legio goodies ready to corrupt on hand. >:)

I hope that we get a Codex or source book that is dedicated to the Alpha Legion.

So far I have be a little disappointed about what we have be given.

Not that the Codex or source books are bad, they just only give us the outside view.

I love the concept of mystic of the Alpha Legion and cloak and daggers stuff that they do so well.

But it hard to be an part of the Alpha Legion when we only get the outsider's perspective.

It is hard to craft a good backstory to craft a theme army around when we do not really know what the goal is.

And RP or writing a good story with a Alpha Legion in focus is nearly impossible.

I would gladly wait to the Horus Heresy series are finish so we do not get any spoilers.

But when its is finish then it would be a nice with a book where we get the inside view.

I would argue that this is the best part of the Alpha Legion: we don't have a stated goal, we aren't well known, and we can do whatever we want. Solid army of possessed led by a Daemon Prince? Go for it. Uncorrupted marines, still in Legion blue-green? Get some. We can go anywhere, do anything, and it's all okay!

I'm a firm believer that any novel that focuses on the Alpha Legion should be written from an outsider's perspective. We aren't transparent. We never will be.

Everyone has a stated goal, everyone has a agenda. Lack of background is not the same a total freedom.

For example are the Alpha Legion united or has it be divided like all the other original traitor legions?

Do the Legion see the cause as lost or do we fight on?

Even with this answered you can still going against it.

The Alpha legion is united and loyal, but my commander has fallen to chaos.

Or

The Alpha legion is united and has turned traitor, but my commander remains loyal.

Same flexibility, but now you have a story behind your choice.

We can still do anything and go anywhere. But now there is a story to tell.

And it doesn't matter if any novel is written for a inside or outside perspective of the Alpha Legion.

As long as the rule of the story are followed.

The reader may know everything about the plot and goal of the characters in the story.

But the characters should just be written as they do not.

A good Alpha legion book written with an outside view should be like a good murder mystery.

We may be able to pick up some hints and clues, but the characters in the good may not.

A good Alpha legion book written with an inside view should be like a good spy stories.

How they cover their tracks and stay hidden with doing their spy business.

I hope that we get a Codex or source book that is dedicated to the Alpha Legion.

So far I have be a little disappointed about what we have be given.

Not that the Codex or source books are bad, they just only give us the outside view.

I love the concept of mystic of the Alpha Legion and cloak and daggers stuff that they do so well.

But it hard to be an part of the Alpha Legion when we only get the outsider's perspective.

It is hard to craft a good backstory to craft a theme army around when we do not really know what the goal is.

And RP or writing a good story with a Alpha Legion in focus is nearly impossible.

I would gladly wait to the Horus Heresy series are finish so we do not get any spoilers.

But when its is finish then it would be a nice with a book where we get the inside view.

I would argue that this is the best part of the Alpha Legion: we don't have a stated goal, we aren't well known, and we can do whatever we want. Solid army of possessed led by a Daemon Prince? Go for it. Uncorrupted marines, still in Legion blue-green? Get some. We can go anywhere, do anything, and it's all okay!

I'm a firm believer that any novel that focuses on the Alpha Legion should be written from an outsider's perspective. We aren't transparent. We never will be.

This, so many times.

Everyone has a stated goal, everyone has a agenda. Lack of background is not the same a total freedom.

For example are the Alpha Legion united or has it be divided like all the other original traitor legions?

Or

The Alpha legion is united and has turned traitor, but my commander remains loyal.

And it doesn't matter if any novel is written for a inside or outside perspective of the Alpha Legion.

The reader may know everything about the plot and goal of the characters in the story.

A good Alpha legion book written with an outside view should be like a good murder mystery.

We may be able to pick up some hints and clues, but the characters in the good may not.

A good Alpha legion book written with an inside view should be like a good spy stories.

I honestly think the only decent "from the inside" story we have is Serpent Beneath, and that is purely down to the style. Nobody knows exactly what is going on. I thoroughly disliked Praetor of Dorn.

While I agree to an extent, whether our Legion is divided or not would be good to know, if they ever let us know. The Alpha Legion could easily be divided and split into thousands of splinter cells and Warbands, but it could also consist of networks of varying size. They could be united in goal (end of the IoM), but the cells don't necessarily try doing it the same way. Remember, the Alpha Legion always encouraged critical thinking, as opposed to other Legions. It also fits well with their later-WWI British-style of command: the goal is stated by the commander in chief, but each individual battlefield operative is left to his own devices as to how to achieve the goal.

I honestly think the only decent "from the inside" story we have is Serpent Beneath, and that is purely down to the style. Nobody knows exactly what is going on. I thoroughly disliked Praetor of Dorn.

While I agree to an extent, whether our Legion is divided or not would be good to know, if they ever let us know. The Alpha Legion could easily be divided and split into thousands of splinter cells and Warbands, but it could also consist of networks of varying size. They could be united in goal (end of the IoM), but the cells don't necessarily try doing it the same way. Remember, the Alpha Legion always encouraged critical thinking, as opposed to other Legions. It also fits well with their later-WWI British-style of command: the goal is stated by the commander in chief, but each individual battlefield operative is left to his own devices as to how to achieve the goal.

I also like "The Harrowing" i think that is give a good inside view of how the Alpha Legion do their job.

As for how much information we should be given in a sourcebook. More we have not, not to much.

Like we united or divided?

Are we still following that goal that we were given in the end of "Legion"? (The goal should remain as vague as always.)

This would be enough to ground us, but would still keep the true goal hidden.

I just find the 2 pages of background we are given in the 40K codex to be disappointing.

The Horus Heresy Book - Extermination is on the other hand, a much need source of inspiration.

I would like to see a Alpha Legion Codex that match the quality of Extermination.

With the widely expected release of a Primaris codex soon, anybody think it would be interesting to run them as an Alpha Legion force?

It's something I've been thinking about, fluff-wise it seems pretty cool that the Alpha Legion got in and created a chapter from their geneseed during the "Primaris founding". Plus Alpha Legion with "acquired" top of the range new equipment also in line with how they go ahold of things during the heresy.

I dunno I like the Primaris models, and part of me thinks that they'd be good for hiding a Primarch in, especially a smaller one like Alpharius.  

Throw in the overlapping bubbles of buffing that Primaris leaders do which feels like Alpha Legion predetermined planning. 

I think I'm rambling, but yeh, thought it'd be cool to do, 

Opinions?

With the widely expected release of a Primaris codex soon, anybody think it would be interesting to run them as an Alpha Legion force?

It's something I've been thinking about, fluff-wise it seems pretty cool that the Alpha Legion got in and created a chapter from their geneseed during the "Primaris founding". Plus Alpha Legion with "acquired" top of the range new equipment also in line with how they go ahold of things during the heresy.

I dunno I like the Primaris models, and part of me thinks that they'd be good for hiding a Primarch in, especially a smaller one like Alpharius.  

Throw in the overlapping bubbles of buffing that Primaris leaders do which feels like Alpha Legion predetermined planning. 

Opinions?

The way the new Primaris tech has just been sent out en-masse is begging for the Alpha Legion to pull a 'switch and replace' or to just steal the technology.

I would not be surprised if the whole Primaris project was covertly run and manage by the Alpha Legion.

I just a matter of manipulating Belisarius Cawl, giving the data he needs.

It would also explain how this was kept hidden for so long.

Cawl may even be a sparatoi, he just need the right key phrase to activate.

On a more realistic note, I would be within the Alpha Legion capabilities to do a 'switch and replace'

If something surprising and unexpected happens in the universe, somewhere there is a Legionaire with a smirk on his face. I think the deployment of new Space Marines and equipment counts as unexpected.

Why else would Cawl ask for permission to use traitor geneseed, I mean he obviously went ahead and used the Alpha Legion one anyway - for all of them.

I also like "The Harrowing" i think that is give a good inside view of how the Alpha Legion do their job.

As for how much information we should be given in a sourcebook. More we have not, not to much.

Like we united or divided?

Are we still following that goal that we were given in the end of "Legion"? (The goal should remain as vague as always.)

This would be enough to ground us, but would still keep the true goal hidden.

I just find the 2 pages of background we are given in the 40K codex to be disappointing.

The Horus Heresy Book - Extermination is on the other hand, a much need source of inspiration.

I would like to see a Alpha Legion Codex that match the quality of Extermination.

The Harrowing was by the same author, I believe. It was alright, it's what, our only clear-cut BL victory? Rob Sanders is the only one who can write Alpha Legion of the current crop of lobotomised scribes Black Library employs to write about the Alpha Legion. 

We are no longer following the goal set in Legion - it's in one of the non-Alpha Legion novels, I think. Grammaticus just states it outright.

We are never going to get a pure Alpha Legion codex. Ever. There's not enough to warrant that - we're not a Cult Legion. However, unless I've grossly misunderstood GW's 40k Community Team, we are getting Legion rules later in 8th. Just hope it doesn't take 17 years and we keep them for 6 months like last time. 

Opinions?

Alpharius was actually smaller than some Legiones Astartes (Praetor of Dorn), so he'd be dwarfed by the Primaris Marines. 

Cawl has made Alpha Legion Primaris Marines (and of the 19 other Legions too), they're just in stasis as Guilliman doesn't let him deploy them. 

Or

To inaccurately quote one of ADB's author's note's: "Do we really benefit from knowing that Darth Vader built C-3PO?"

We have background on the XXth. What we don't need is specific details. Does it matter if the Legion is divided or unified? No, because we know that we've been trained to fight independently. Does it matter if we see the Long War as a lost cause? Hell no, because that would imply we believed in it in the first place. We don't need to know specifics because the Alpha Legion is an opaque organization. We CERTAINLY don't need to know if we're secretly loyal or not, as that shatters one of the debates and draws of the XXth. That's why Cypher turned into hot garbage. The story is there, and this Legion allows you the most freedom to tell it. The What, When, Where, and Why is entirely up to you. We haven't lost our freedom to tell the story, like the loyalists ("All the chapters accepted Primaris, yaaaaaay"). We aren't the Big Bad That Always Loses, like the Black Legion. We aren't embittered survivors, fighting because we always fight, like the VIIIth. We are only limited by the potential of our individual storytelling. We know HOW we fought in the Heresy days, and the brief blubs from the 40k books show us that hasn't changed much. Less information is more information here.

The desire to know MORE, to find out MORE, is understandable in most cases. But not for the Alpha Legion. We're the Legion of beyond myth, half-heard rumors, the partially remembered memory from a long time ago. We don't need to make statements, we don't need glory, and when we do our jobs correctly nobody even knows we were there.

Filling in the blanks would just restrict the freedom we have to craft our own narrative. 

After reading some of these posts I agree with what civsmitty states. We know what we know and that's enough, if you go into great detail of the Alpha Legion you ruin the mystique and spoil their character.

It's the same for me in regards to the II and XI legions. Everything is speculation but nothing is truly known. If GW released specific information about them then the mystery of those two would be completely lost.

I would find it hilarious though if GW released an Alpha Legion codex and it was ninety percent blacked out like those CIA/FBI documents you see in movies and video games.

I wouldn't mind a more detailed look into the legion. The whole "everything is a mystery" angle is 90% based on 30k material that had little impact on the AL's portrayal in 40k, which has been rather unambiguous since 2nd edition.

Let me pose a hypothetical: what if Omegon never existed? What if Abnett had left that tidbit out, then the ending of Praetorian happened?

Then the next book came out with an Alpharius in full ceremonial plate, with the Pale Spear, with his brothers recognizing him as the true, real Alpharius?

This is a case where more information didn't help out. We knew the Legion would be okay, because, well, Omegon. Had my above scenario happened, we'd be losing our minds. 

Let me pose a hypothetical: what if Omegon never existed? What if Abnett had left that tidbit out, then the ending of Praetorian happened?

Then the next book came out with an Alpharius in full ceremonial plate, with the Pale Spear, with his brothers recognizing him as the true, real Alpharius?

This is a case where more information didn't help out. We knew the Legion would be okay, because, well, Omegon. Had my above scenario happened, we'd be losing our minds. 

We would?  If you cut off one head, two more will grow in its place.

We would?  If you cut off one head, two more will grow in its place.

In a good way!

Or

To inaccurately quote one of ADB's author's note's: "Do we really benefit from knowing that Darth Vader built C-3PO?"

We have background on the XXth. What we don't need is specific details. Does it matter if the Legion is divided or unified? No, because we know that we've been trained to fight independently. Does it matter if we see the Long War as a lost cause? Hell no, because that would imply we believed in it in the first place. We don't need to know specifics because the Alpha Legion is an opaque organization. We CERTAINLY don't need to know if we're secretly loyal or not, as that shatters one of the debates and draws of the XXth. That's why Cypher turned into hot garbage. The story is there, and this Legion allows you the most freedom to tell it. The What, When, Where, and Why is entirely up to you. We haven't lost our freedom to tell the story, like the loyalists ("All the chapters accepted Primaris, yaaaaaay"). We aren't the Big Bad That Always Loses, like the Black Legion. We aren't embittered survivors, fighting because we always fight, like the VIIIth. We are only limited by the potential of our individual storytelling. We know HOW we fought in the Heresy days, and the brief blubs from the 40k books show us that hasn't changed much. Less information is more information here.

The desire to know MORE, to find out MORE, is understandable in most cases. But not for the Alpha Legion. We're the Legion of beyond myth, half-heard rumors, the partially remembered memory from a long time ago. We don't need to make statements, we don't need glory, and when we do our jobs correctly nobody even knows we were there.

Filling in the blanks would just restrict the freedom we have to craft our own narrative. 

Just want to say I love this, and is one of the myriad of reasons I want to get an Alpha Legion army. I just struggle to decide how to build it. You guys are awesome!

Or

A divided Alpha Legion is not a real threat any more.

Small war-band working by them self with out any unified goal, may threaten a world.

But a unified Alpha Legion is a threat to the imperium as a whole.

Yes, a Alpha legionary is trained to function independently, that is required for the Alpha Legion tactics to work effectively.

But it also need a great deal of support and infrastructure to work.

A rouge band of Alpha legionaries striking only at targets of opportunity, and they are just a band of well coordinated raiders.

And that was a divided and goalless Alpha Legion is, a large number of warbands doing nothing constructive.

Now a united Alpha legion, is a collection of strike force pressuring their individual operatives.

All working toward a goal that no one will truly know.

A divided legion is a legion broken and cast down, fighting for spite.

A united legion is a legion standing strong and doing what need to be done no matter the odds.

And I sure that we will get a vague answer to all of this, one piece of the puzzle in each Alpha Legion story released.

Because that why we read all the Horus Heresy books, we want to know just a little bit more.

Small war-band working by them self with out any unified goal, may threaten a world.A divided Alpha Legion is not a real threat any more.

Yes, a Alpha legionary is trained to function independently, that is required for the Alpha Legion tactics to work effectively.

A rouge band of Alpha legionaries striking only at targets of opportunity, and they are just a band of well coordinated raiders.

And that was a divided and goalless Alpha Legion is, a large number of warbands doing nothing constructive.

Now a united Alpha legion, is a collection of strike force pressuring their individual operatives.

A united legion is a legion standing strong and doing what need to be done no matter the odds.

And I sure that we will get a vague answer to all of this, one piece of the puzzle in each Alpha Legion story released.

Because that why we read all the Horus Heresy books, we want to know just a little bit more.

No offense intended, but it sounds like you're trying to force a traditional Legion structure onto us. That's not us. We don't need massed armies to win. We never have. We've always been THE army of sabotage, infiltration, and espionage. You don't need a thousand warriors to accomplish that. We're influential space terrorists, not some crusading army. A handful of our members can take a world; a warband can take a system. Multiple warbands, a sector. Etc, etc. The Alpha Legion uses others to fight for us, and we only directly assault at the very end. When the hive is rioting, rebelling, with spires burning and the leadership in disarray or dead; THAT is when a Harrowing is unleashed. 

Maybe the lesser Legions need to stand en mass to feel strong, but when your single squad can cause a world to tear itself apart without firing a shot...why bother?

Remember, from a gaming perspective, the tabletop battle is a Harrowing, not the precursor. 

A divided Alpha Legion is not a real threat any more.

Small war-band working by them self with out any unified goal, may threaten a world.

I think we're just going to disagree. 

We never were united in the way the other Legions were. We are fully capable without our Primarch - That's why the Hydra is our symbol. Cut one off and one more grows. Our schtick is we don't need Alpharius himself, nor do we need Omegon. 

That we don't know allows us all to fantasise about it. Maybe when we disappeared in the Galactic Far East, we just went underground and our entire structure is preserved. Maybe we did a Night Lords and splintered. This way, we all get our way. 

Small war-band working by them self with out any unified goal, may threaten a world.A divided Alpha Legion is not a real threat any more.

No offense intended, but it sounds like you're trying to force a traditional Legion structure onto us. That's not us. We don't need massed armies to win. We never have. We've always been THE army of sabotage, infiltration, and espionage. You don't need a thousand warriors to accomplish that. We're influential space terrorists, not some crusading army. A handful of our members can take a world; a warband can take a system. Multiple warbands, a sector. Etc, etc. The Alpha Legion uses others to fight for us, and we only directly assault at the very end. When the hive is rioting, rebelling, with spires burning and the leadership in disarray or dead; THAT is when a Harrowing is unleashed. 

Maybe the lesser Legions need to stand en mass to feel strong, but when your single squad can cause a world to tear itself apart without firing a shot...why bother?

Remember, from a gaming perspective, the tabletop battle is a Harrowing, not the precursor. 

None taken.

But there is a difference between Legion unity and structural unity. A united legion may not have a traditional structure or fight in a conventional way.

A army may gather and attack at the same time, but may not be united as such.

Take a 3rd Legion attack, they may mass a huge army under a commander. But as soon at the battle start they might divide and seek their own pleasure.

The Alpha Legion on the other hand may consist of a small groups that are hidden all over the place, but when the attack comes they fight as a united force.

But that may only a war-band that is united in a common goal. Fighting the way they always have.

The difference between a united and divided Alpha Legion is not in how we fight or are structured.

But how we function internally.

If we are united then we are working together and towards the same goal, if we are divided we are working for "personal" goals.

The united goal may still be classified, but we still work together.

In a united legion we may kill one another because of mission necessary, in a divided legion we would kill one another to advance in personal status and power.

I see the Alpha Legion that is structurally divided, but mostly unified in purpose.

Sure there may be a few that have fallen to temptation of chaos, but as long as they are not a threat to mission success, there is not need to remove them.

After all a demon prince with Alpha Legion origin only enhance believe that we are a traitors.

Hive Fleet Hydra. Said to be essentially hunting down the other Tyranid fleets to devour them...

So what I'm taking is that something named after the hydra, is acting according to its own interests not that of the greater whole. While stealing resources from it's so called allies. And stopping the destruction of the galaxy...

Alpharius?

Archived