++ The Brotherhood of Dust - A Thousand Sons Community ++

I fel like I should get more out of the SOT. I mean the edition rules themselves greatly assist the unit.

I plan to put them back to work shortly. I think their added survivability and spli fire help a lot.

Prot, the biggest issue I am concerned with is str 4 SOTs trying to wound T5 or better. I believe you experienced this recently against Tau right? I was hoping for a psychic boost to strength but can't have it all. At least they are -3 AP once they wound.

Outside of that I am really excited to teleport these guys in and harass some T4 models. That and a sorceror smiting himself.

Split fire, 2 wounds, All is dust, teleoporting, icons and even land Raiders I am excited to try these guys.

Ok so you guys, especially Prot, my usual opponents often place me on the defensive. So if I was to use 10-20 Tzaangors, would you be pushing them out there aggressively to stall/fight/die before the Rubrics? Or would you be putting the durable Rubrics out there to intercept charges from, say, assault marines, with their esentially 2+ saves vs. chainswords while the goats hold home objectives for cheap?

Having not played 8th I'm using beloved goats as mortal wounds screens to start off with. Though if my Rubrics are in rhinos deployment is more tricky, unless you give your tzaangors a couple rhinos so maybe.

With foot slogging marines straight up frontline for goats maybe an icon and at least 2 units so I can get into cc and it gets an instrument. A screen for a screen.

However that might change after a few games and we find more uses. I still like the idea of an exalted buffing and smiting. I really liked the warherd with the sorcerer and goat units. And move and charge.

Ok so you guys, especially Prot, my usual opponents often place me on the defensive. So if I was to use 10-20 Tzaangors, would you be pushing them out there aggressively to stall/fight/die before the Rubrics? Or would you be putting the durable Rubrics out there to intercept charges from, say, assault marines, with their esentially 2+ saves vs. chainswords while the goats hold home objectives for cheap?

I really do like them as a wild card. In scenarios where it is objective based, they are surprngly difficult to get rid off. Conversely I am using them as a deep strike screen to screw my opponent up, or as an agreesibe screen to go after soft, shooty targets.

This is just me but so far I've only been playing cagey, non interactive, shooty armies. So I feel a solution is to move /advance Tzaangors which they can't ignore. But the rest of the army feels slow compared to what locals are playing and the Tzaangors basically entangle them.

I am playing Orks or Nids tomorrow so this will be new to me.

Hmm Rubicae have the lesser smite, 3+ save, 5++ invulnerable. If the attack damage is only one thy have 2+ or a 4++. Handy. Also no penalty to firing the reaper on the move. As such I am thinking of running three squads of 10 and 5 scarab occult. That should form a nice base for army.

Do you think for HQs we are going more exalted on a disc or terminator armour sorc?

Looking at 8th, I have 3 armies I want to get on the table. Nids, Sons and Harlies. 

I think all will be small to start with.

I'm restarting my sons from the ground up with the new models I think, then can add all my others for larger games.

So far I have

1x rubrics

1x Rhino

1x Scarabs

1x Tzaangor

1x Exalteds

1x Ahriman

1x flamers of tzeentch

I think another rubric squad in rhinos is needed. Some firepower might be a good option, so maybe a pred.

How are people arming your rubrics? A couple of flamers per 10 man, or 5-10 guys all with flamers in a rhino?

Exalteds on foot to get the reroll to saves, or on disc for mobility?

I think we're all just playtesting this stuff ourselves for now. I mean I can't say conclusively at this point how I will use most of what you ask. I will say one thing though... I'm not quite as hot on Rubrics as a lot of Thousand Sons players. I actually feel like Tzaangors are a very good, solid, cheap, spammable unit. In my meta though, I don't see a lot of vanilla marine armies so Astartes/Termie armour doesn't last that long. (I rarely see the effects of All is Dust... so I personally find it far inferior to our old buff)

But that's kind of a different topic... what I was getting to is Rubrics. I really do like them, but I think as a unit they have to be large or it's a bit wasteful. They become surprisingly well rounded with 10 models to get that Soulreaper in there, and allow for some mixture of flamers. (I'm now using 3 per squad). 

I'm just starting to see some immensely destructive stuff in 'regular' games, and 5 AP-2 bolters isn't going to cut it. I think you gotta go big or just use the cheap alternative (Tzaangors) to save points for the super destructive stuff.

I think we're all just playtesting this stuff ourselves for now. I mean I can't say conclusively at this point how I will use most of what you ask. I will say one thing though... I'm not quite as hot on Rubrics as a lot of Thousand Sons players. I actually feel like Tzaangors are a very good, solid, cheap, spammable unit. In my meta though, I don't see a lot of vanilla marine armies so Astartes/Termie armour doesn't last that long. (I rarely see the effects of All is Dust... so I personally find it far inferior to our old buff)

But that's kind of a different topic... what I was getting to is Rubrics. I really do like them, but I think as a unit they have to be large or it's a bit wasteful. They become surprisingly well rounded with 10 models to get that Soulreaper in there, and allow for some mixture of flamers. (I'm now using 3 per squad).

I'm just starting to see some immensely destructive stuff in 'regular' games, and 5 AP-2 bolters isn't going to cut it. I think you gotta go big or just use the cheap alternative (Tzaangors) to save points for the super destructive stuff.

10 man Rubric units have been my standard for a long time. While I agree Tzangors are phenomenal and probably our board control unit, I'm not super sure if 10 man Rubrics are going to end up being the required amount.

The reaper is awesome, and if you're going to have flamers in your unit it makes sense to go tall with units for access. I'm currently working out a list I want to test with MSU Rubrics to see if running them as small squads can successfully gain board control and use perils against my opponents. This'll increase mortal wounds output but decrease shots so I'll have to see how it balances.

Edit: I may end up trying two 5 man and one 10 man first to see how that rolls out.

Are there any lessons we can steal from Ork or Tyranid players on using Tzaangors effectively?

There's 2 really good psychic powers for a large group (Prescience and Warptime) to give them an edge in combat, and the +1" to charge from an Instrument ought to be useful. Not having any Morale protection or Charge reroll is problematic but that can be solved by CP.

As for their vulnerability... maybe Occult Termies need to drop in and remove the worst threats, while the Tzaangors are fielded in sufficient numbers that they make it their targets and cover the HQs effectively.

No idea how to play a horde CC army but it seems like it's emerging as a strong approach in 8th, right?

Yea that's what I'm seeing. I really wish we had a "sniper" type unit. I think some of these Aura's are empowering those types of lists a lot.

This in part is why I invest heavily in Tzaangors (2-3 squads at 75 power level (1400pts) for now). I don't always need them but they do fill different roles... deflect deep strike, prevent character charges, tie up anything without 'fly'.

I've used Warptime to great advantage this way. If you get to pick your deployment, it's almost guaranteed 1st turn assault if you need it. But against something like Orks/Nids, at least we have some form of defensive measure that can actually do something in close combat, and not just act as a speedbump.

Hey All,

Battlescribe has an 8th update but I can't seem to figure out how to add Magnus under Thousand Sons. Anyone know or have these issues?

You just have to add a Supreme Command Detachment. Magnus is available there. (Don't forget not all Detachments allow LoW slots.)

I learned last night to stop being cocky and re-rolling a failed 2+ armor save or something via Command Points..

Burned my last one to keep a dumb Rubric Marine alive and then Ahriman rolled double 6s next Psychic Phase.. 3 wounds when he was already hurt from previous Perils

When will I learn? Save that stuff for Perilssssssss

So I was fiddling with Battlescribe and you can make a Double Battalion w/ Ahriman on Disc, a Daemon Prince with Claws, 2 on foot Exalteds, 2 10 man Rubrics with Reapers, 1 5 man Rubric with flamers, 1 more 5 man Rubrics, a 11 and a 12 man Tzangor unit, 2 Assault/Las/Havoc Predators and a Rhino.

9 Command Points, 6 mortal wounds base from Psykers, Predators to go after tanks or monstrous creatures, Rubrics for anti-marine, Tzangors for some fodder, a Rhino to transport the two 5 mans, Daemon Prince for re-roll 1's on the tanks and to protect the backline, and Exalteds for RR 1's on saves.

I don't think it's super competitive but I can see some command point shenanigans are very possible. You can fit a fair amount into 2k.

Edit: 2000 Points.

Okay so; I participated in an opening tourney as of saturday. 

I got first place using a pure 1k sons list, the finals game was a 2k list (ironically a space wolf player got second place...as is their rightful place behind our intellectual and meta-physical might!)   

The final for me was (If i don't forget anything) Magnus, 40 some odd Rubricae, 10 Scarab Occult, and a couple of on foot exalted. fitting into 2000. I dont remember the exact list I had as its been a long weekend....suffice it to say it went very well, even when the space wolf player is known for being a power gamer. (I had 6 command points, my opponent had 10..... he had Bjorn, Rouboute Guilliman (using as a stand-in for russ with the tourney organizers permission)  along with taking a Callidus AND an Cuelexus in order to mess with command points and Magnus. 

I purposefully left off 33 points from my list at 2k so I could make use of Magnus' ability....where he through a hilarious round of combat mutated the callidus into a spawn....the spawn then after one more turn beat the Culexus to death with some rubricae. 

It was this game that I truly fell in love with Warp-flamers and Warp-flame pistols.  absolutely fantastic even with a high price point. Totally worth it. 

Archived