++ The Brotherhood of Dust - A Thousand Sons Community ++

Guy with Astra Mil wanted to play last night. He said anywhere from 50-200 Power Level so I said ok and whipped up a 100 PL list which included the following:

Fateweaver

Ahriman on Disc

5 Scarabs w/ Hellfyre Missile Rack

10 Tzaangors w/ autopistol and chainsword because: forge that nerrutive

10 Rubrics w/ Soulreaper and x2 Warpflamers

10 Rubrics w/ Soulreaper and x2 Warpflamers

His guard list was something like this:

Dude

Dude that's a psyker

Dudes with sniper rifles

Some dudes

Some dudes

Some dudes

Sentinel w/ Plasma 

Sentinel w/ Plasma

Sentinel w/ Plasma

Wyvern

Wyvern

Russ w/ Plasma

Russ w/ Plasma

Russ w/ Demolisher

Vanguisher Character

I think that's it.

Anyway, I got turn 1 which was wonderful. He burned a CP to re-roll seize and rolled a 1.

I sat the Rubrics in cover on 2 objectives and Smited (Smote? Smoted?) the Russ with a Demolisher Cannon. I brought all 3 Scarabs down and focused on the sentinels because I was afraid of plasma. Turns out that was an easy First Blood and it saved me a lot of headache later from plasma shots. The 15 scarabs eventually charged the plasma russ and tanked Wyvern shots for about 6 turns. 

The rest of his army was very afraid of Fateweaver. The Rubrics took lasguns and made 2+ saves all game while Fateweaver only did a total of 6 mortal wounds to the Demolisher Russ, finally killing it. Ahriman helped with that one thanks to Infernal Gaze and Smite. He used Warp Time to make the Tzaangors move closer and eventually charge guard, who fell back. First Rank Second Rank Fire killed the Tzaangors. Oh well. 

For the rest of the game as I began to table his right flank (as Im looking at it) with the 2 rubric squads and Ahriman after Fateweaver died, the inferno weaponry and soulreapers took a toll on his guard in cover while Ahriman solo'd the Vanquisher and Plasma Russes around mid-game. Twice I rolled a 10 for his Smite all game, so that was a total of 2d6 mortals from that thanks to his +1 to cast. I took his disc since it was PL.

I was afraid that because of all his free upgrades that he would just stack the tanks with the best weaponry but turns out they arent as scary as they were in 7th. I pretty much creamed the army except for the Wyverns, which I decided to ignore after realizing that I could take the 3 objectives on my right while ignoring the left one near the Wyverns. 

MVPs:

-Ahriman because: choice between damage spells + utility spell, or 2 utility and damage

-All is Dust (would have lost at least 10 Rubrics to 3s but only lost 1 all game)

So thanks to All is Dust, vs. the two Wyverns and all the lasguns I had basically taken 35 terminators against him. He spent all his plasma shots on Fateweaver.

Don't forget to charge stuff. His 1 plasma russ on the left was falling back all game and only shot in overwatch.

Nice job! I have an Astra batrep coming up... did not get to use All is Dust near as much as you, but my opponent was using the Astra secret sauce... Tempestus Scions special weapons squads deep striking.... ugly, ugly game.

I found wihtout Smite I don't really have an answer for those big tanks! Basilisks are crazy good compared to 7th I think too. But... Landraiders certainly do some work against Astra. Some good and some bad learned from my game.

Anyone tried 10 strong scarab Squads? I'm considering trying it (or a nine strong squad) as with those numbers they may just be able to do enough damage when they arrive as to be worth it, or to at least survive a charge from, well any unit that has even basic skill in combat.
Archaeinox and Prot, what would you say our best options for anti tank are now we no longer have spells such as the Heretech or bolt of change?
Also, has anyone tried fielding a knigh alongside rubricae hoardes yet?t

Going through the effort to take 9 and not 10 is a bit silly, take that extra missile

Benefit of taking 10 is that they can all be affected by Prescience.. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Our best option for anti-tank is neutralizing the tank by charging. I used Scarab Occult for this purpose, if possible. Making a plasma russ fall back so that some measly lasguns could open up was laughable... and efficient anti-tank enough for me.

Knights are too many points imo. Had better experience running more sorcerers or more terminators to accomplish a variety of goals.

Ridcully, what are you supporting your terminators with? Are you sending them in alone? If so, unit size won't add much. Consider flying daemon princes, dreadclaws, spawn, helldrakes and so on to get some good synergy going. Get into the mentality that you want to set up an ambush where a large part of your force will engage a smaller part of the opponent's force. That's when they shine because of brutal shooting, excellent resilience and strong positioning advantages :)

Icon of Flame outside of power levels I wouldn't do it. 10 points for something statistically will cause one wound once a game assuming an enemy unit is in range from turn 1.

A 10 strong unit of SO could be useful if you deepstrik a prince, or sorcerer with it. To cast prescience it would be more useful on 10 than 5.

I hate to say a Heldrake but heldrake. I think they will be a solid choice in any list 30" flame, assault...for close air support or even dare I say, Warptalons, raptors or spawn. Just a squad or two of borrowed fellows from another legion.

I played a very casual 50 point annihilation match against a friends chaos.

My list

Ahriman on Disc of Tzeentch

Tzaangors 10
  Tzaangor blades, Icon of Flame,Instrument of chaos

Tzaangors 10 
  Tzaangor blades, Icon of Flame,Instrument of chaos

Rubric Marines 10
   Icon of Flame, 1 Soulreaper Cannon
  1 Aspiring Sorcerer: Force sword,Inferno bolt pistol

Chaos Predator 
   Twin lascannon,Two lascannons,Havoc launcher,Combi-melta

Forgefiend
    Two Hades autocannons,Ectoplasm cannon

My opponent brought 5 Daemon Princes of Khorne.

The match went fairly quickly despite being our first game since 6th edition. He advanced his troops and rushed into close combat with the Tzaangors. We were both surprised with just how well they were able to hold their own in combat against a Daemon Prince. Rubrics and Ahriman softened his forces with psyker support and made it very easy for the heavy weapons to finish them off. The Predator and Forgefiend were both all stars in this particular match up. By the end of the third turn the game was over. I had tabled all 5 of the daemon princes with out losing 1 full unit. My only casualties were a handful of Tzaangors. 

I still dont know how well my list would do versus a proper battle forged army but I still had fun playing. Last edition I lost every game I played against multiple Daemon Prince lists so I was very glad to see them fall so quickly. Looking forward to my next game!

Just had my first proper game of 2000 points of Thousand Sons. 

My list:

Magnus

ahriman

exalted sorcerer

9 man rubric unit force sword

5 man rubric unit force staff

20 tzangors

5 scarab occult termies

maulerfiend magna cutters

helbrute twin las, fist

5 spawn

his list:

anggrath (FW titanic khorne dude)

belakor

slannesh daemon prince

slaanesh herald on mount

khorce herald

3, three man fiend of slaanesh units

10 plague bearers

10 blood letters

turn 1 I move a bit up, and do a few wounds here and there with psykers and shooting, not too much from me.  his turn he charges magnus with anggrath, and belakor into the helbrute, his fiends charge the 5 spawn and the rhino with ahriman and 9 rubrics.  He made a mistake and attacked first with the fiends into the rhino forgetting about the command points which allows me to attack 2nd with Mags on anggrath(rhino took a few wounds).  Magnus hits 7 times wounds 7 times and 4 go through, 12 wounds.  He replies with 11 wounds on Magnus.  The terminator unit deep struck and was hoping to wrap magnus was killed in the shooting phase.  The slanesh fiends kill 2 spawn, and belakor does a few wounds to the brute, and the brute does 6 back. 

Next turn ahriman and the 9 rubrics pop out of the rhino with 9 fiends around them, and the 5 man unit pop out of the rhino by magnus on other side of table with exalted sorcerer, the 20 tzangors move into position to help Magnus and charge into Anggrath, the maulerfiend moves to help the brute with belakor.  Lots of smites are cast and some wounds are spread all over nicely for me.  Magnus gets smite off on anggrath and the d6 wound roll is 1.  rubrics shoot and the slaanesh deamon prince and do one wound.   rubrics and ahriman charge the furies, mauler gets into belakor, and the goats get into anggrath.  Slaanesh has a rule where their units always count as having charged so I decide to go with ahriman first on the fiends, his hits 4, and kills the 3 man unit.  This time I made the mistake and he uses his command points to attack with anggrath on magnus, and does 5 wounds !  I save 2, then use a command point to reroll another and save it  He rolls his 2d6 wounds and......Snake Eyes !  tzangors go next and do 3 wounds on anggrath.  2 more spawn are killed to fiends and the maulerfiend finishes off belakor !  Magnus now swings and finishes off Anggrath !! I start thinking it is all down hill now but on a 4+ he explodes and I have him surrounds with a bunch of things.  He rolls a 6 and wipes out the 5 man rubric unit, does 3 wounds to the maulerfiend, 5 tzangors and 6 to magnus and kills him !

Next 2 turns is Ahriman crushing fiends, and he then helps the rubrics and 1 remaining spawn kill the slaanesh prince.  The 10 remaining tzangors and exalted sorcerer finish off the depleted bloodletters and the 10 plague bearers, and it fines with Thousand Sons tabling the daemons.  My losses were the helbrute, magnus, 10-12 tzangors, 5 man unit of rubrics, 5 man scarab termies, 4 spawn, and 4-5 of the 9 man rubric unit.

What I learned.  Magnus is a beast for the 415 points, he can do it all.  Ahriman is also a star, the 3 dmg from his staff is nuts.  Tzangors are just a work horse, 2 attacks each with the blades with a +5 invulnerable save is very nice.  The exalted sorcerer with a force staff is also very nice for his price.  The scarab occult termies are a bit of a downer, I played them very aggressively but their staying power wasn't that great, I feel another 10 man unit of rubrics or another 20 tzangors would have been better.  The spawn continue their roll in 7th, poor defense but once into combat they are a great tar pit that does some good dmg.  The wealth of mortal wounds from all those smites really adds up throughout the battle

Was a fun game, and the Sons seem to be in a good place.  Just got my Forge world chaos book, and am trying to find some good close combat units to help out.

So with the advent of new edition I was going to look into Nurgle, however I decided that I'm not a fan of their kind of playstyle. In all my years of playing 40k I've never used a psyker so, I thought I'd go full round about and here I am with a new Thousand Sons army! I've picked up two rubric squads, 3 sorcerers, 5 occult termies and of course Magnus because he's an absolutely stunning model. However I'm wondering what do you guys reckon has good synergy with the Thousand Sons outside of the actual Thousand Sons units. I read about Helldrakes, Helbrutes and Forgefiends being very good. Should I be picking up rhinos for my troops? Typically I like to slog them.

As to load outs the flamers do seem very good but obviously since I'm not going transport I was thinking only one flamer and soulreaper cannon per Rubric squad then on the termies give them the missile pack and the cannon again?

I'm not too sure where to start with psykers really, never have I used a chaos codex before nor psykers so, I guess I'm asking, where do I start from here?

I have a rules question regarding overwatch:

In the Twitch Streams etc. the GW guys always said that vehicles can now be used to absorb overwatch. But the action sequence as per the rulebook is:

1. Select units

2. declare charges with all units

3. enemy units use overwatch

4. roll 2D6 and move the models

Thus if I were to declare a charge with my Rhino and Tzaangors, the enemy unit could overwatch against both of them, as I only move them AFTER overwatch has been resolved. In my games this lead to some ridiculous situations where e.g. my vanilla Termis got to overwatch three times. Am I missing something? This seems so stupid and takes out some tacital options like the aforementioned overwatch absorption with vehicles etc.

I also have some more insights into units:

Helbrute (w/ Multimelter and Fist + Heavy Flamer)

I run two of these and they are awesome. Especially if you manage to roll that 6 and get to shoot/attack again! They can smash apart vehicles and will bbq infantry.

Raptors

Small strike squads of 5 dudes with 2 special weapons do good work. Especially if they manage to survive a round of combat, fall back and can shoot again.

I have a rules question regarding overwatch:

In the Twitch Streams etc. the GW guys always said that vehicles can now be used to absorb overwatch. But the action sequence as per the rulebook is:

1. Select units

2. declare charges with all units

3. enemy units use overwatch

4. roll 2D6 and move the models

Thus if I were to declare a charge with my Rhino and Tzaangors, the enemy unit could overwatch against both of them, as I only move them AFTER overwatch has been resolved. In my games this lead to some ridiculous situations where e.g. my vanilla Termis got to overwatch three times. Am I missing something? This seems so stupid and takes out some tacital options like the aforementioned overwatch absorption with vehicles etc.

You can not fire Overwatch if there is an enemy unit within 1". So sending in a vehicle first to take the hit makes sense, as if it gets in, no more Overwatch can be used by that unit :wink:

You're a little off on the rules in your example, bro. 

Select unit to charge

Select target

Overwatch

Move chargers

Start over with a new unit, repeating the process above. If a previous unit made it in, no overwatch vs. other units that attempt to charge the same

So rhinos before Tzaangors is a "go"

Don't let someone tell you that they get to shoot all your units before you move one..

Appreciate all the experience sharing fellas.

Got my first gamer Sunday vs Craftworlds maybe some Corsairs against an old friend.

I expect he will bring;

Bikes

Seer council

Walkers

Maybe guardians

FW tanks like hornets

Maybe banshees

Yes so many little changes to the rules, gotta read everything.

Thanks guys, looking forward to my first game this Sunday.

And before you ask, being equipped with two weapons or a weapon and pistol doesn't give you an extra attack either. Nothing does, except when its stated on the datasheet. :P

Greetings all

I had my first game of 8th testing out the TS in a 2000 point kill mission, as we didn't want to worry about objectives and just focus on learning the rules.

I fielded 

Ahriman(foot)

Exalted Sorcerer(foot)

2 squads of 9 Rubics (old finecast and metal fluff squads so no new guns)

cultists with a flamer

5 Scarab Occult with soulreaper and helfyre

helbrute with lascannon and heavy flamer gauntlet 

2 heldrakes

maulerfiend

defiler with power scourge

He fielded a mechanicus list with mostly infantry

All I can say is my actual infantry did nothing as the daemon engines completely decimated and distracted his forces. (We only went to T3 as our GW was closing)

T1 my heldrakes immediately roasted two squads of fulgerites (spelling?) and charged into other squads distracting him.  Helbrute shot wounds off Cawl  and one Rubic squad with prescience gunned down a skitarri squad.  His T1 saw a few wounds go onto one drake, and the other being severely wounded.  

T2 the terminators came down and annihilated his Grav gun breacher squad targeting my Defiler, heldrakes continued to harass his army, an ironstrider tried to lance my helbrute, only to be destroyed by my brute's fist. Maulerfiend got into a skitarri squad with intent of reaching a dominus.  

T3 saw my brute go down and losing many wounds on my drakes and defiler and my Rubics closing into effective range. 

My main thoughts go to the effectiveness of the daemon engines distracting him as my force marched up the board, both of us were highly impressed with the kill power of the terminators and the rubics.  I barely used any psi powers except prescience and warptime.  As it was my first 8th game I was generally happy with my TS this edition.  Being how I only lost one unit by turn 3 would you all have any suggestions to this list? My opponent suggested I don't change much however I was interested in adding the changling and obviously putting the sorcerers on disks for the better invulns.

Archived